|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Any Tour Edge Exotics CB1 wood players in here?

After reading great reviews of TEE CB1 wood , I gave in and bought a brand new 3-wơơd CB1 that comes with the R-flex Fujikura high launch shaft. Its head is beautiful, could not ask for more than this, but the club does not translate into a WOW status. I could hit my 2007 Callaway BB 3-wơod/Aldila R-flex NV shaft much better in terms of high launch.
    So here is my surprise: Aldila NV has a stiff tip, which should translate into lower launch (supposedly) than the Fujikura high launch shaft with a soft tip. Where am I missing? what is the scientific reason for this? ... [ OK don't BS your way into this, I am a real scientist to I could tell who is faking] ... and any suggestion [ OK , now you could BS into this department]... Thanks guys/girls

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    After reading great reviews of TEE CB1 wood , I gave in and bought a brand new 3-wơơd CB1 that comes with the R-flex Fujikura high launch shaft. Its head is beautiful, could not ask for more than this, but the club does not translate into a WOW status. I could hit my 2007 Callaway BB 3-wơod/Aldila R-flex NV shaft much better in terms of high launch.
    So here is my surprise: Aldila NV has a stiff tip, which should translate into lower launch (supposedly) than the Fujikura high launch shaft with a soft tip. Where am I missing? what is the scientific reason for this? ... [ OK don't BS your way into this, I am a real scientist to I could tell who is faking] ... and any suggestion [ OK , now you could BS into this department]... Thanks guys/girls
    Simple question first...are the clubheads the same loft?

Callaway 3-wơod = 16* , CB1 3-wơod = 15* , so by statistic they are the same

My experience exactly. I recently bought a CB1 with the fuji shaft but mine is in stiff flex. I love the look at set up too, and when you hit one pure they feel great and perform as well as anything I have hit. No problem about the length either. But as you have found they do launch very low. This is not necessarily a bad thing. My biggest concern with this club is it is very unforgiving. You only have to be a little off in the strike and it comes off like a dog. I have hit some very poor shots with it when I felt the swing was ok. It is described as a players club, but you need to be very precise in the strike to get the performance out of it. I have gone to a Sonartec ss3.5 14* (fuji tour platform) and am hitting some great shots with that. It also performs very well and is definately not as challenging to play.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    My experience exactly. I recently bought a CB1 with the fuji shaft but mine is in stiff flex. I love the look at set up too, and when you hit one pure they feel great and perform as well as anything I have hit. No problem about the length either. But as you have found they do launch very low. This is not necessarily a bad thing. My biggest concern with this club is it is very unforgiving. You only have to be a little off in the strike and it comes off like a dog. I have hit some very poor shots with it when I felt the swing was ok. It is described as a players club, but you need to be very precise in the strike to get the performance out of it. I have gone to a Sonartec ss3.5 14* (fuji tour platform) and am hitting some great shots with that. It also performs very well and is definately not as challenging to play.
    Oldplayer: have you tried to reshaft yours? would new shaft help? I have a slow swing speed (~90 mph) so I need to launch the ball for distance... Open for suggestions from All. Aldila NVS would help but I don't want to spend the money to find out . Maybe I should put it back on eBay after one round

Oldplayer: have you tried to reshaft yours? would new shaft help? I have a slow swing speed (~90 mph) so I need to launch the ball for distance... Open for suggestions from All. Aldila NVS would help but I don't want to spend the money to find out . Maybe I should put it back on eBay after one round
    I haven't decided what to do with it yet. I do believe it has potential but I do not particularly want to rush into changing the shaft. Usually I just put the club aside for now and come back and give it another run in due course. I was not overly happy with the Sonartec when I first played it, like the cb1 it has been very favourably reviewed; but now i have come back to it it is going very well. I think sometimes it is good not to make a hasty decision. I very much like to tinker with different clubs in the bag, i get a lot of enjoyment from this. I have a room full at home.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I have paint chipped on the top of my current 3-wood's head (2007 Callaway), called Callaway, sent it back and they confirmed of paint (chip) quality. Callaway offered to build me same club but 2 weeks out because of Aldila NV shaft, they also offered me a Diablo 3-wood but 3-4 weeks out because of back order due to high demand, so I opted 4-wood Callaway FT with Fuji E-160 R-shaft, just received it free of charge (even exchange) from Callaway today,,, will play with it on Sunday. It's 17* loft and if it launches beautifully then I should not lose much distance compared to 15*/16* 3 wood

I don't care how much you guys hate Callaway clubs, but this is one of the reasons why I keep buying Callaway products... Second to none in customer service..

So, If I hit well with the Callaway 4-wood FT then I will put TEE CB1 (brand new , hit 5 times) back on eBay... Too bad because I really want to love that baby just like my TEE driver, its club head is really classic , beautiful and sits very square at setup

I've posted on this subject repeatedly. The OEM shafts on the TEE fairway woods are lightweight and too flexible for many golfers. I have found success with them using mid-70's gram shafts with low to mid kickpoints and mid 2's to mid 3's torque. The original TEE fairway wood is still my favorite FW head of all I've ever tried. I've used Fuji 757 pullouts, Matrix X-Con 7's, and currently use a Fuji ZCOM TW 74 I got for practically nothing on an e-bay closeout. It's no longer made, so I got a brand new ~ $250-300 shaft for around $50 or $60.
    Getting the right shaft is key to bringing this great head to life. The OEM shaft was designed to make it hit long off the teebox, but it lacks stability on the fairway. A heavier and and a little stiffer shaft makes this combo a winner.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

dorkman53: my club head speed for my TEE driver is about 90 mph... If you have to make an educated guess, what R-flex shaft should I consider to get "high launch" out of this CB1. I want to look at different options before I have to get rid of it... Anyone? Thanks guys/girls

I bought the CB2-3; the price was right; I can not hit the club.
    I think I am just wasting my time as I hit my Burner 3 very well.
    Regards

I eBayed a pulled shaft *Aldila NV" that evidently came from Cobra 3-wơod for $24 shipped. I did call Aldila and asked the difference between Aldila NV and Aldila NV made for golf companies. Aldila told me that they do not have the same specs , but very very close, no one could tell the difference.

Went to Golf Galaxy today and found a whole bucket of metal heads on clearance , found a 3-wood head ($4.99) made by Malby golf? Dick's Sporting Goods charged $17.99 to (1) remove the Cb1 head (need a head extractor) (2) install TŹE head to the Aldila NV. (3) install the head bought at Galaxy to the Fuji shaft that came with CB1.

Will report results after I have a chance to test drive those 2 shafts

I eBayed a pulled shaft *Aldila NV" that evidently came from Cobra 3-wơod for $24 shipped. I did call Aldila and asked the difference between Aldila NV and Aldila NV made for golf companies. Aldila told me that they do not have the same specs , but very very close, no one could tell the difference.

Went to Golf Galaxy today and found a whole bucket of metal heads on clearance , found a 3-wood head ($4.99) made by Malby golf? Dick's Sporting Goods charged $17.99 to (1) remove the Cb1 head (need a head extractor) (2) install TŹE head to the Aldila NV. (3) install the head bought at Galaxy to the Fuji shaft that came with CB1.

Will report results after I have a chance to test drive those 2 shafts
    Is it an NV 65 or NV 75?

I made a 3 wood purchase on the weekend. In my pro shop they had a tour edge Bazooka J Max QL 3 wood with a stiff stock shaft (which is a surprisingly good fot for me, not too whippy but definitely soft enough to be very easy to hit). I got it for about half rrp (100AUD). I just loved the look and the way it sits at address. I had my eye on it for a while, but my hand was forced as the shop is selling all stock so I had to pull the trigger before someone else got it.

From my understanding the Bazooka is the GI line for Tour Edge (I concur with this), so can't really compare to the CB-2 even though they are made by the same company. This is the easiest to hit club I've ever owned. It sets up perfectly, and every shot I've hit with it so far feels like it's right out of the sweet spot. The feel is pure, and it feels like it has a hot face or tramploine but not sure. The launch is a nice mid to high, the distance is extrememly good, and I have only sprayed one shot (I was trying to hit a big cut which I over cooked but still kept well inside of where it would have gone if I put the same swing on driver). Normally this thng just goes sraight and high and nearly as far as driver. Haven't hit it off the deck, but it has a low profile and I had the tee pushed down low so it should be very easy off the deck.

I haven't had a 3 wood in the bag for over 5 years now and was reluctant to get one as I didn't think the new ones were as good as the hype. I honestly can't believe how easy this club is to hit, and the results I've been getting are super. I should have bought one years ago. I'm thinking I may have to try to track down a Bazooka J Max QL driver. I've read good stuff about them but thought they were a little on the GI side, but after hitting the 3 wood I'm sold.

I really think this club can take me to a new level. Alot of the time lately I've been in situations where I've tried to hit a punch driver or have to bust a long iron (with prdictably disastrous results), when a 3 wood would have been the ideal club. I also won't be forced into hitting driver on tight medium to long par 4s like I do now. I now have a 230 metre club that goes straight. It's almost like I didn't feel the need to get a 3w before now because I didn't really know what I was missing and made do with the 5w, but after having a 3 wood in the bag for the last two rounds I wonder how I ever got by without one.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 06-28-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I made a 3 wood purchase on the weekend. In my pro shop they had a tour edge Bazooka J Max QL 3 wood with a stiff stock shaft (which is a surprisingly good fot for me, not too whippy but definitely soft enough to be very easy to hit). I got it for about half rrp (100AUD). I just loved the look and the way it sits at address. I had my eye on it for a while, but my hand was forced as the shop is selling all stock so I had to pull the trigger before someone else got it.

From my understanding the Bazooka is the GI line for Tour Edge (I concur with this), so can't really compare to the CB-2 even though they are made by the same company. This is the easiest to hit club I've ever owned. It sets up perfectly, and every shot I've hit with it so far feels like it's right out of the sweet spot. The feel is pure, and it feels like it has a hot face or tramploine but not sure. The launch is a nice mid to high, the distance is extrememly good, and I have only sprayed one shot (I was trying to hit a big cut which I over cooked but still kept well inside of where it would have gone if I put the same swing on driver). Normally this thng just goes sraight and high and nearly as far as driver. Haven't hit it off the deck, but it has a low profile and I had the tee pushed down low so it should be very easy off the deck.

I haven't had a 3 wood in the bag for over 5 years now and was reluctant to get one as I didn't think the new ones were as good as the hype. I honestly can't believe how easy this club is to hit, and the results I've been getting are super. I should have bought one years ago. I'm thinking I may have to try to track down a Bazooka J Max QL driver. I've read good stuff about them but thought they were a little on the GI side, but after hitting the 3 wood I'm sold.

I really think this club can take me to a new level. Alot of the time lately I've been in situations where I've tried to hit a punch driver or have to bust a long iron (with prdictably disastrous results), when a 3 wood would have been the ideal club. I also won't be forced into hitting driver on tight medium to long par 4s like I do now. I now have a 230 metre club that goes straight. It's almost like I didn't feel the need to get a 3w before now because I didn't really know what I was missing and made do with the 5w, but after having a 3 wood in the bag for the last two rounds I wonder how I ever got by without one.
    Remember NAH, EVERY new club has a honeymoon period.
    However Touredge do make great clubs as far as my experience goes. My exotics driver is forgiving, long and straight. It is certainly the best I have had. Nothing I've had in Taylormade or Titliest etc. comes close. I have the CB1 also and although you need to put a good swing on it, it is very long. Probably the longest 3 wood I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    A lot of the time lately I've been in situations where I've tried to hit a punch driver or have to bust a long iron (with prdictably disastrous results), when a 3 wood would have been the ideal club.
    Congrats on the new 3 wood. Hope it's not just the honeymoon period that OP is referring to. Over the years I've tried leaving out the 3 wood for an extra wedge but I missed the 3 wood too much and the setup just didn't feel right. So you gonna leave out the 3 iron now?

Just curious, why wouldn't you use your 5 wood in this situation? Sure the 3 wood might be the ideal club but surely a 5 wood would still be preferable to having to 'bust a long iron'?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Is it an NV 65 or NV 75?
    It's a 55-g NV. I will try both of "new" 3 woods at the range this weekend and let you guys know which one is better, especially if NV shaft improved the CB1's head

Played 7 rounds last week, my body is still ached... 2 rounds up in Pocono mountain in Pennsylvania, then drove to Michigan (Plymouth MI) , played 36 holes on Thursday, played 36 holes on Friday and 18 holes on Sat morning then drove 550 miles home... and my body still hurts so gơơd *_*

It's a 55-g NV. I will try both of "new" 3 woods at the range this weekend and let you guys know which one is better, especially if NV shaft improved the CB1's head

Played 7 rounds last week, my body is still ached... 2 rounds up in Pocono mountain in Pennsylvania, then drove to Michigan (Plymouth MI) , played 36 holes on Thursday, played 36 holes on Friday and 18 holes on Sat morning then drove 550 miles home... and my body still hurts so gơơd *_*
    Wow. That's REALLY light and tip flexible. I'm not sure you went in the right direction, to be perfectly honest. I would have thought something along the lines of the NV 75 might be more like it. Well, who knows? Give it a try. You might like it. If not, don't blame the head! Get something in the 70-85 gram range, and it should be more stable and playable, if you don't care for the results of the 55 gram shaft. In any case, it's not like you spent $250 for an exotic shaft. If it doesn't work out, no harm.

http://www.aldila.com/products.php?product=3

Go to "products" and then to "NV" to see the specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Congrats on the new 3 wood. Hope it's not just the honeymoon period that OP is referring to. Over the years I've tried leaving out the 3 wood for an extra wedge but I missed the 3 wood too much and the setup just didn't feel right. So you gonna leave out the 3 iron now?

Just curious, why wouldn't you use your 5 wood in this situation? Sure the 3 wood might be the ideal club but surely a 5 wood would still be preferable to having to 'bust a long iron'?
    The 5w goes too high and just doesn't feel like a tee shot club to me, especially if there is wind around. Truth to tell the main thing I use the 5 wood for is for texas wedging around the green. It goes through the rough better than a putter and I have great feel with it. Unless the lies is perfect and I have plenty of green to work with I will always reach for the 5w ahead of the sw if there are no obstacles.

I don't think there will be a honeymoon period as I've already put a few bad swings on and they still got good results. This club honestly almost swings itself, and the carry distance is almost as good as the driver. I think I got lucky with this one as it sets up perfectly for me. I went online to check oput the specs and mine is a 15 degree with a 1 degree open face, which suits me as my bad shots are hooks. The shaft is a good compromise for me too. It's a mid torque stiff (which plays pretty stiff fopr a stock shaft) by grafalloy and feels really good for my swing. It probably wouldn't be what I would have chosen but it has worked out to be perfect for me.

Lastly, at the moment the 3 iron stays in, but purely because my 52 wedge feels like it may be out of whack and isn't really providing much more distabnce than the sw. I'm going to get it adjusted to 50 degrees so I ca fill in the big gap I currently have between wedge and sw. Once that happens I will have a big decision to make as I like having 3 iron in the bag and will feel naked without it. But it is probably the most logical one to drop as I can use the 5w for long par 3s, and prefer the 5w to the 3 iron off the deck now. I suppose that now I have the 3 wood I won't be needing the 3 iron for tee shots on par 4s so it may go. I can't believe I'm slowly turning into the player I've always despised
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Wow. That's REALLY light and tip flexible. I'm not sure you went in the right direction, to be perfectly honest. I would have thought something along the lines of the NV 75 might be more like it. Well, who knows? Give it a try. You might like it. If not, don't blame the head! Get something in the 70-85 gram range, and it should be more stable and playable, if you don't care for the results of the 55 gram shaft. In any case, it's not like you spent $250 for an exotic shaft. If it doesn't work out, no harm.

Whoa. Just because Lawwry is relegated to the Non-golf Forum doesn't mean you can spout off this blasphemy.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Thanks Dorkman53... I never blame the head because I truly believe that a correct shaft would deliver 90% of club's performance. I am 58.5 and have a slow swing (driver SS is about 90) that's why I go with a lighter shaft... Hopefully it would work out because I really like the CB1 head

The present Tour Edge line looks like it deserves bigger market penetration than it has. A 12° with a square face? Hallelujah! Maybe they've been reading my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick
    The present Tour Edge line looks like it deserves bigger market penetration than it has. A 12° with a square face? Hallelujah! Maybe they've been reading my stuff.
    Did you pray for an OEM to come out with this club? It really does work. Go ahead and bookmark this thread so you can check it out in a year or so. I pray that God forces Callaway to come out with a horrible looking driver and force Phil Mickleson to play it.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Well... the verdict is in... I took the (1) CB1 + 55-g Aldila NV shaft and (2) Fuji Tour Edge high launch + DM (distance master) head clubs to the range today. I believe that the 3-wơod head DM is made by Maltby golf which is a brand of Galaxy Golf

I am glad that I did not put the CB1+Fuji Tour Edge high launch shaft on eBay, because with the new 55g Aldila R NV shaft the club performs beautifully, This is the best 3 wơơd that I ever hit since Callaway great BB ĢI , ball flies is straight and great hang time, which is what I could not get with CB1 head + Fuji Tour Edge high launch shaft. VERY please with this combination
    About the 66-g Fuji Tour Edge high launch shaft+ DM 3-wơod head: it's almost as gơod as the CB1 head+Aldila NV shaft, except the sound is somewhat mute and not as exciting as the "ting/ping" sound of the CB1 head. One thing I really like about the CB1 head is that it's setup is very square at address and its head is just classic and beautiful.

So, as I stated before, the correct shaft is 90% of club's performance... and I ALWAYS like the Aldila NV shaft, it fits me very very well

happy golfing

Well... the verdict is in... I took the (1) CB1 + 55-g Aldila NV shaft and (2) Fuji Tour Edge high launch + DM (distance master) head clubs to the range today. I believe that the 3-wơod head DM is made by Maltby golf which is a brand of Galaxy Golf

I am glad that I did not put the CB1+Fuji Tour Edge high launch shaft on eBay, because with the new 55g Aldila R NV shaft the club performs beautifully, This is the best 3 wơơd that I ever hit since Callaway great BB ĢI , ball flies is straight and great hang time, which is what I could not get with CB1 head + Fuji Tour Edge high launch shaft. VERY please with this combination
    About the 66-g Fuji Tour Edge high launch shaft+ DM 3-wơod head: it's almost as gơod as the CB1 head+Aldila NV shaft, except the sound is somewhat mute and not as exciting as the "ting/ping" sound of the CB1 head. One thing I really like about the CB1 head is that it's setup is very square at address and its head is just classic and beautiful.

So, as I stated before, the correct shaft is 90% of club's performance... and I ALWAYS like the Aldila NV shaft, it fits me very very well

happy golfing
    Well done on taking the chance and reshafting the cb1. I agree they are a beautiful looking head. It is quite a big call to go to the expense of that without really knowing if there will be any improvement.
    I have always found the shafts that work best for me by trial and error; I'm not sure if there is a realistic alternative to that.
    I have a cb1 with the stiff fuji and I have had the same problems as you. I haven't thought about reshafting yet, I am playing a Sonartec ss 3.5 14 degree with fuji tour platform instead at the moment and that is going pretty well. Launches well with plenty of distance.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Well done on taking the chance and reshafting the cb1. I agree they are a beautiful looking head. It is quite a big call to go to the expense of that without really knowing if there will be any improvement.
    I have always found the shafts that work best for me by trial and error; I'm not sure if there is a realistic alternative to that.
    I have a cb1 with the stiff fuji and I have had the same problems as you. I haven't thought about reshafting yet, I am playing a Sonartec ss 3.5 14 degree with fuji tour platform instead at the moment and that is going pretty well. Launches well with plenty of distance.
    Oldplayer: I am surprised that the Fuji Tour Edge shaft+DM head gives a high launch compared to Fuji Tour Edge shaft+ CB1 head which tells me that the Fuji TEE shaft+CB1 head is not a good combination for my swing. I am glad that I made a shaft change with Aldila NV, the club performs beautifully now. I love the CB1 head, it sits really square at address which is my preference. You may want to reshaft yours with a stiff Aldila NV shaft, at least the Sonatec ss club is working for you. I bought the Sonartec MD hybrid a few yrs ago, NEVER worked well for me, so I traded it in for the Adam Idea OS hybrid which fits me much much better... Different strokes for different folks, I guess

Yes, it is a bit perplexing that the Fuji shaft in the other head launches normally. It is also a bit strange as the same design fuji shaft in my TEE is one of the best I've ever used.
    I have always got on well with fuji shafts and really this is the first one that I have not hit well. Unfortunately the 65 NV green has never been any good for me. I have tried it quite a few times as it has been a popular shaft and a stock shaft in many clubs. They have always felt boardy to me although I've never hit a reular flex.. As you said, different strokes......

happy golfing
    Whatever works in your hands is what you should do, obviously.

Thread Information