|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Titleist ProV1x is longer than the Titleist SoLo

Before anyone gets on me about playing Titleist garbage...I've been playing the same backstock of Titleist balls for the last 3 years. I had about 10 dozen of them. Now that I'm almost through all the ProV1x's I had to dig into a box of DT SoLo's. Not a terrible ball. Thought it would play like a distance ball. Played about 9 holes with the SoLo. Then I switched it out for another ball that was less scuffed up. Turned out to be one of my last ProV1x's. I kid you not...the ProV1x is about 10 to 20 yards longer off the driver and 3 wood. About the same off the irons. That Callaway technology they stole really went to good use.

The longest non-rocks I've tried are the Cally Tour IX and Bridgestone B330.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    The longest non-rocks I've tried are the Cally Tour IX and Bridgestone B330.
    It looks like I'll finally have to take a trip over to Golf Galaxy and buy some new golf balls. It's been so long what if I forgot how???

Seriously though...I'll probably give those Callaway Tour balls a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    Before anyone gets on me about playing Titleist garbage...I've been playing the same backstock of Titleist balls for the last 3 years. I had about 10 dozen of them. Now that I'm almost through all the ProV1x's I had to dig into a box of DT SoLo's. Not a terrible ball. Thought it would play like a distance ball. Played about 9 holes with the SoLo. Then I switched it out for another ball that was less scuffed up. Turned out to be one of my last ProV1x's. I kid you not...the ProV1x is about 10 to 20 yards longer off the driver and 3 wood. About the same off the irons. That Callaway technology they stole really went to good use.
    This was the primary reason I initially stepped up and started to buy V1x balls in the first place. Typically hackers will try and play the most expensive balls they can find because they think it'll help their game. This works out great for me because I can usually find two or three brand new ProVs per round if I walk down most any OB line.

When I first started finding these I'd throw them in the bag and never give it a second thought. Then something funny started to happen. Occasionally I'd pull a ball out of my bag without looking at it very close. I'd notice that after pulling the new ball my game would really get sharp. Much more consistent with the iron dispersion and really long and straight off the tee. My distance control was also spot on. Every time this would happen I started to notice I was playing a V1x.

To be fair I've also had the same results with a Nike Tour Black. The point is, if you're a decent ball striker and pretty consistent you will definitely see an improvement in your game when playing a premium ball that works for you.

I've been playing the Pro V1 for a long time. I can find used ones for about 80 cents a ball or so. I noticed that when I moved from Florida to Texas that the balls don't behave as well on the greens. In florida I could hit right to the pin and the ball would stop just a little past the hole. Here in Texas the greens are so hard that they roll out about 1/3 of the total distance. I wish the greens were more receptive down here but it is just so hot and dry...
    Clearly the rules don't apply in this situation.

Titleist Pro V1x is the best all around ball in golf. I've tried them all.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Titleist Pro V1x is the best all around ball in golf. I've tried them all.
    Probably on your chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanger
    Probably on your chin.

Touche . . . . not bad for a newbie.

I totally agree...even going from a normal Pro-V to an X, I see a difference in the drive distance. It is incredible. You need a fast swing speed to really benefit from the X.

I played yesterday and started off with a Srixon Z Star, started birdie birdie par then hit it in a dam I had no idea existed. Had no more Z Stars so went to a ProV1X. I honestly found it to be harder and less consistent than the Srixon, and probably about the same distance wise. The X probably spun a little more on greenside chips but the Srixon definitely felt better off the putter and I just had more confidence all round with it. It might be coincidence but my game went south after losing the Z Star. Towards the end I put a smiley on the X after finding a bunker with no sand, and put ZURC into play. I could tell no difference in any category from that to the X. I honestly find there isn't a whole lot of difference between any of the premium balls, with the possible exception of the regular ProV1 which is softer and spinnier than any other ball out there. I'd think about buying them, but like SBD1 there are heaps of choppers on my course that think they should be playing the best ball so I find heaps of 1 hit balls in the rough and along the boundary fences.

I think I'll be gaming the regular Z Star from now on, although I did recently buy a sleeve of TM TP Black to try so I'll give them a spin first before buying any more. I've also heard some big wraps on the new hacker version of the B330, but I swing too fast to use it.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    It might be coincidence but my game went south after losing the Z Star.
    There is no coincidence about it but it has nothing to do with the Pro V1X. Of course your game is going to go south after hitting any ball in a dam. Especially one you didn't know was there!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    There is no coincidence about it but it has nothing to do with the Pro V1X. Of course your game is going to go south after hitting any ball in a dam. Especially one you didn't know was there!
    Did you watch the Origin last nite?

We finally won a match, and gave the marrons a beat down at the same time. Although it was great to see an old school rough house type of game, I don't condone what Waterhouse did. Being third man in and slamming Price's head into the turf was a low act in my book. It took a bit of the shine off what was a great win by us.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Did you watch the Origin last nite?

We finally won a match, and gave the marrons a beat down at the same time. Although it was great to see an old school rough house type of game, I don't condone what Waterhouse did. Being third man in and slamming Price's head into the turf was a low act in my book. It took a bit of the shine off what was a great win by us.
    Watched most of the first half but it's on pretty late here and given that it was a dead rubber I went to bed about half time. Sorry to have missed the biff!

I'll be at Eden Park Saturday night to see the Wallabies. I must admit I am more nervous than usual facing the Wannabees at home because we have looked like sh*it in the lead up games whereas the Wallabies look a lot more settled. I also have major concerns about that Waikato flake Stephen Donald vs Giteau. We are missing Dan Carter big time. The weather forecast doesn't look great though and I know the Wallabies don't enjoy a wet track. Hopefully we can repeat the forward demolition job we did on them in the wet in AKLD last year. Then Donald/Giteau won't be a factor.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Watched most of the first half but it's on pretty late here and given that it was a dead rubber I went to bed about half time. Sorry to have missed the biff!

I'll be at Eden Park Saturday night to see the Wallabies. I must admit I am more nervous than usual facing the Wannabees at home because we have looked like sh*it in the lead up games whereas the Wallabies look a lot more settled. I also have major concerns about that Waikato flake Stephen Donald vs Giteau. We are missing Dan Carter big time. The weather forecast doesn't look great though and I know the Wallabies don't enjoy a wet track. Hopefully we can repeat the forward demolition job we did on them in the wet in AKLD last year. Then Donald/Giteau won't be a factor.
    You guys stank pretty bad against the frogs. On recent form I'd be onfident but recent form means jack shite when the Bledisloe Cup is on the line. I would have been alot more comfortable if McCaw hadn't recovred in time.

You guys stank pretty bad against the frogs. On recent form I'd be onfident but recent form means jack shite when the Bledisloe Cup is on the line. I would have been alot more comfortable if McGaw hadn't recovred in time.
    The Frogs were pretty good and we put them away comfortably in the 2nd Test on the field if not on the scoreboard. It was the dire performance against the Italians that got me worried.

Agree McCaw will make a big difference along with Soialo & Kaino.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Looking forward to seeing the pigs fly over Eden Park.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Looking forward to seeing the pigs fly over Eden Park.
    Even I have to admit that with that sheep shagging former Cantab coaching them the formerly woeful, wobbly Wannabees are looking a semi reasonable team but still unlikely to trouble a class outfit like the mighty Men in Black.

Who are the Cats playing this week? I hope it's some lowly bottom of the table team. Going from undefeated to two losses on the trot they'll need an easy win to restore their shattered confidence won't they?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Even I have to admit that with that sheep shagging former Cantab coaching them the formerly woeful, wobbly Wannabees are looking a semi reasonable team but still unlikely to trouble a class outfit like the mighty Men in Black.

Who are the Cats playing this week? I hope it's some lowly bottom of the table team. Going from undefeated to two losses on the trot they'll need an easy win to restore their shattered confidence won't they?
    You're spot on Kiwi, Cats are playing Melbourne this week. Melb have only just climbed off the bottom of the ladder having won their last 2 games which makes it 3 for the season. They have won 2 in a row since their president anounced publicly he has cancer.
    Thomson (Cats coach) is foxing IMO with all the recent withdrawles due to injury. I think he is resting players and dosen't care about the home and away games as long as he finishes in 2nd. spot. Geelong are focused on one thing only. To make amends for last years stuff-up. Have you caught up with what has happened to last years premiers?

Oh, and good luck on Saturday, our boys are cherry ripe and hot to trot!!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

You're spot on Kiwi, Cats are playing Melbourne this week. Melb have only just climbed off the bottom of the ladder having won their last 2 games which makes it 3 for the season. They have won 2 in a row since their president anounced publicly he has cancer.
    Thomson (Cats coach) is foxing IMO with all the recent withdrawles due to injury. I think he is resting players and dosen't care about the home and away games as long as he finishes in 2nd. spot. Geelong are focused on one thing only. To make amends for last years stuff-up. Have you caught up with what has happened to last years premiers?

Oh, and good luck on Saturday, our boys are cherry ripe and hot to trot!!
    Smart move and the All Blacks coach is doing exactly the same thing. We both know that form is temporary but class is permanent and both the All Blacks and the Cats are going to kick the a$$es of the second rate chumps they are facing this week.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Smart move and the All Blacks coach is doing exactly the same thing. We both know that form is temporary but class is permanent and both the All Blacks and the Cats are going to kick the a$$es of the second rate chumps they are facing this week.
    I hope for your sake you don't have to eat humble pie on Sunday!

I played yesterday and started off with a Srixon Z Star, started birdie birdie par then hit it in a dam I had no idea existed. Had no more Z Stars so went to a ProV1X. I honestly found it to be harder and less consistent than the Srixon, and probably about the same distance wise. The X probably spun a little more on greenside chips but the Srixon definitely felt better off the putter and I just had more confidence all round with it. It might be coincidence but my game went south after losing the Z Star. Towards the end I put a smiley on the X after finding a bunker with no sand, and put ZURC into play. I could tell no difference in any category from that to the X. I honestly find there isn't a whole lot of difference between any of the premium balls, with the possible exception of the regular ProV1 which is softer and spinnier than any other ball out there. I'd think about buying them, but like SBD1 there are heaps of choppers on my course that think they should be playing the best ball so I find heaps of 1 hit balls in the rough and along the boundary fences.

I think I'll be gaming the regular Z Star from now on, although I did recently buy a sleeve of TM TP Black to try so I'll give them a spin first before buying any more. I've also heard some big wraps on the new hacker version of the B330, but I swing too fast to use it.
    Since you like the Srixons, you'll probably like the TP Blacks. I think the TP Blacks are the closest thing to playing a Pro V1 that there is out there.

Not anyone can hit the Pro V1xs. You have to have enough manly swingspeed and you need to be playing manly irons. That means no shovel players.

It's a good thing you enjoy Srixons . . .

By the way, I only play Titleist Pro V1xs or Callaway Black HX ix balls now.

I bought the Taylormade TP Reds and I don't like them near as well. I'm getting ready to trade them for some Callaway HX ix balls.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Since you like the Srixons, you'll probably like the TP Blacks. I think the TP Blacks are the closest thing to playing a Pro V1 that there is out there.

Not anyone can hit the Pro V1xs. You have to have enough manly swingspeed and you need to be playing manly irons. That means no shovel players.

It's a good thing you enjoy Srixons . . .
    s much as I hate to admit I may indeed have just lost that extra bit of swing speed needed to play the X. If that is the case I will go for balls that produce best fel off the putter, and for me that is the Z Star, but at home on the carpet the Taylors feel nice and soft off the putter too. Am looking forward to see how the Taylor Black goes tomorrow. Don't expect the 20 yards the shop guy said he gets from his 100mph swing with them, but I'm hoping for a little extra distance and a bit more bite on the greens.

I hope for your sake you don't have to eat humble pie on Sunday!
    Hmmm ... no humble pie on the menu today?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hmmm ... no humble pie on the menu today?
    I wondered how long it would take you to post. It's amazing it took this long.
    Anyway well done to your boys, at least it was some sort of contest. I was thinking of you when we were 10 nil up in the first 15 minutes. In the end you deserved the win, the All Blacks played the better rugby for the 80 minutes. Our boys were undisciplined at times and made too many basic errors. Also the Aussies kicking was not up to scratch.
    I don't think that any match in the Tri-nations will be a walkover though, we may get you yet.
    Nothing wrong with being optimistic!
    BTW I thought the reffing was pretty ordinary, very precious and not in the spirit of the contest.

I wondered how long it would take you to post. It's amazing it took this long.
    Anyway well done to your boys, at least it was some sort of contest. I was thinking of you when we were 10 nil up in the first 15 minutes. In the end you deserved the win, the All Blacks played the better rugby for the 80 minutes. Our boys were undisciplined at times and made too many basic errors. Also the Aussies kicking was not up to scratch.
    I don't think that any match in the Tri-nations will be a walkover though, we may get you yet.
    Nothing wrong with being optimistic!
    BTW I thought the reffing was pretty ordinary, very precious and not in the spirit of the contest.
    You guys were all over us in the opening 20 minutes. You bombed an easy try that would have put you ahead 17-3. It would have been a tough road back from there if you guys had nailed that try. However from about the 20-25 minute mark I thought we began to play with a bit more composure and began to gain the ascendancy.

It was a tough uncompromising test match as all Bledisloe/Tri Nations matches should be and I agree that there won't be any walkovers in this years competition. You guys will be a much tougher proposition in Sydney. Like some of those soft US golf pros you guys seem to prefer playing at home on familiar turf!

Now where the f#ck am I?

You guys were all over us in the opening 20 minutes. You bombed an easy try that would have put you ahead 17-3. It would have been a tough road back from there if you guys had nailed that try. However from about the 20-25 minute mark I thought we began to play with a bit more composure and began to gain the ascendancy.

It was a tough uncompromising test match as all Bledisloe/Tri Nations matches should be and I agree that there won't be any walkovers in this years competition. You guys will be a much tougher proposition in Sydney. Like some of those soft US golf pros you guys seem to prefer playing at home on familiar turf!
    Who dosen't!!
    The Aussies are definately hungry but I feel that deep down there is a lack of confidence in the team; something your boys never suffer from.
    Or you for that matter.

Who dosen't!!
    The Aussies are definately hungry but I feel that deep down there is a lack of confidence in the team; something your boys never suffer from.
    Or you for that matter.
    Hang on a minute? Your boys seem particularly meek away from home whereas our away record is almost as good as our home record.

Your bunch of nancy boys haven't won a game at Eden park since 1986 and haven't won a game on NZ soil since 2001. When did our boys last win on Aussie soil???

Hmmm.... let's see now. Oh yeah it was 2008 in Brisbane?

While we are on the subject of nancy boys they have to start manning up by emerging from the dressing room in their RUGBY jerseys ready to play not in those poncy track suits.

They lined up right in front of where I was sitting and you could almost see the Wallaby confidence drain out of them as the mighty Men In Black emerged from the tunnel in their rugby jerseys and marched intimidatingly past them. I guess it must be tough facing real men wearing the color of doom when you are forced to front up in ugly mustard and green.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hang on a minute? Your boys seem particularly meek away from home whereas our away record is almost as good as our home record.

Your bunch of nancy boys haven't won a game at Eden park since 1986 and haven't won a game on NZ soil since 2001. When did our boys last win on Aussie soil???

Hmmm.... let's see now. Oh yeah it was 2008 in Brisbane?

While we are on the subject of nancy boys they have to start manning up by emerging from the dressing room in their RUGBY jerseys ready to play not in those poncy track suits.

They lined up right in front of where I was sitting and you could almost see the Wallaby confidence drain out of them as the mighty Men In Black emerged from the tunnel in their rugby jerseys and marched intimidatingly past them. I guess it must be tough facing real men wearing the color of doom when you are forced to front up in ugly mustard and green.
    Jeez Kiwi, I already conceded you guys were the better team. You don't have to lay into us like that. I was keeping it friendly!
    You don't have to throw around the nancy boy slurs, if it's a rugby war you want, you're on!!

Jeez Kiwi, I already conceded you guys were the better team. You don't have to lay into us like that. I was keeping it friendly!
    You don't have to throw around the nancy boy slurs, if it's a rugby war you want, you're on!!
    Ok ok the wars on and we have won the 1st battle.

Anyway I'm also thoroughly enjoying The Ashes but the big event tonight is the final round of The Open.

What do think? Can Watson do it? I certainly hope so and it will be fascinating viewing to see if he can.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Ok ok the wars on and we have won the 1st battle.

Anyway I'm also thoroughly enjoying The Ashes but the big event tonight is the final round of The Open.

What do think? Can Watson do it? I certainly hope so and it will be fascinating viewing to see if he can.
    In a way I dare not think he can win as it will be very dissapointing if he dosen't.
    It is very reminisent of Norman last year and the hope that all people had, not just Aussies, of wanting him to pull it off.
    I guess if Watson really believes he can win, and plays/putts as he has for the first 3 rounds he certainly can do it.
    I'll keep everything crossed as it would be a fantastic victory, not just for Watson but for all us older players!

It has certainly been a big weekend in sport!!

In a way I dare not think he can win as it will be very dissapointing if he dosen't.
    It is very reminisent of Norman last year and the hope that all people had, not just Aussies, of wanting him to pull it off.
    I guess if Watson really believes he can win, and plays/putts as he has for the first 3 rounds he certainly can do it.
    I'll keep everything crossed as it would be a fantastic victory, not just for Watson but for all us older players!

It has certainly been a big weekend in sport!!
    It's been a big month and I've been short of sleep. I've been up all hours watching Federer winning the French & Wimbledon titles, The Springboks vs The Lions, The US Open and now The Open and The Ashes on at the same time.

Next two weeks the AB's take on the Springboks over there so that will be more 1-3am viewing. Ah well can't complain about the life of an armchair sports critic!

Agree that it is VERY reminiscent of Norman last year. We all hoped he could pull it off and he played Ok in that final round but was overtaken by Harrington. I wonder who will step up and haul in TW if he plays well?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Kiwi, congrats to your team. They played harder and handled the rpessure better as the game wore on. There is no doubt Barnes butchered a simple try which would have put us in a winning position, but I honestly think you guys were the far superior side (I only watched it from the 30 minute mark though).

Back on topic, The TM TP Black turned out to be a pretty decent ball. I used tha same ball for two rounds and it's still in ok condition. The spin on full shots and around the green was good. The distance off the driver was excellent. The flight was high but penetrating. And it felt ok off the putter. Not as good off hte putter as the Z Star, but probably shaded it the othercategories, and all round a better ball than the ProV1X IMO.

I've got our second biggest event of the year on next Saturday so I'll get to use them from the tips and with the course playing a little faster. Will be interesting to see how they stand up.

Kiwi, congrats to your team. They played harder and handled the rpessure better as the game wore on. There is no doubt Barnes butchered a simple try which would have put us in a winning position, but I honestly think you guys were the far superior side (I only watched it from the 30 minute mark though).

Back on topic, The TM TP Black turned out to be a pretty decent ball. I used tha same ball for two rounds and it's still in ok condition. The spin on full shots and around the green was good. The distance off the driver was excellent. The flight was high but penetrating. And it felt ok off the putter. Not as good off hte putter as the Z Star, but probably shaded it the othercategories, and all round a better ball than the ProV1X IMO.

I've got our second biggest event of the year on next Saturday so I'll get to use them from the tips and with the course playing a little faster. Will be interesting to see how they stand up.
    Thanks NAH. Apologies for the trash talking. You and Oldplayer have both been so gracious in defeat that I should follow your example as the victor. There's always next time when the roles may be reversed.

So the TP Black performed well? How did your round go overall? Did you achieve your goal of scoring well or did you leave the usual 5-6 shots out on the course?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks NAH. Apologies for the trash talking. You and Oldplayer have both been so gracious in defeat that I should follow your example as the victor. There's always next time when the roles may be reversed.

So the TP Black performed well? How did your round go overall? Did you achieve your goal of scoring well or did you leave the usual 5-6 shots out on the course?
    I left a run down of my rounds on the other thread. Bad Saturday, good Sunday. For the time being I'm still Not a Hacker, but it was a close thing

Thread Information