|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The Open Thread - Official

I'm surprised someone else hasn't already started an official 'Open' Thread so I thought I had better pick up the slack . You get 1 pick from from the top 10 in the WGR and 1 pick outside the top 10. Pick the winning score to settle any ties.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I'm surprised someone else hasn't already started an official 'Open' Thread so I thought I had better pick up the slack . You get 1 pick from from the top 10 in the WGR and 1 pick outside the top 10. Pick the winning score to settle any ties.
    As i have said elsewhere it is very difficult to pick a winner of the Open due the amount of variables involved.

However if the weather is kind to him i think Tiger may be unbeatable, so

Tiger -8

or my hope is

Westwood -8

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Hi

Id love to see tiger do it, as i just dont think he has been firing on all cylinders. Since his return he has looked very frustrated from the events i have seen him play. i also think he looks visibly bigger(look at the size of his neck/shoulders), he looks leaner than he ever has. Im not too sure that this has had an adverse effect on his game/swing even mindset.

ive now switched fire from my previous guesstamation.. i say

Tiger - 10

i changed my mind purely because i dont think the open will be about the big hits, it will be more about deadly accuracy and a whole lot of excellent course management.

Just watching the first round, even though the old blokes can't keep it up for 4 rounds how about Tom Watson! Go the old blokes!! His swing dosen't look much different than 30 years ago! What a fantastic player he has been.
    It must please a lot of people to see Sergio being given a golf lesson by Tom and to whoop his arse by 5 shots playing in the same group!!

BTW Dorkman, I know it is early days but what about my prediction of the experienced and mature players........look at the top of the leaderboard.
    Last edited by oldplayer; 07-16-2009 at 03:45 AM.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Yeah I've just been watching it too. Wasn't that a brilliant round by Watson. I thought you would be cheering for the 'old player'.

Sergio played some awful shots and did well to finish even par. Even Tiger is hacking his way around at the moment even though he is hitting irons off the tee. But he usually recovers so well. Mind you he three putted from a pretty handy position earlier. Just shows what an overrated POS that SC putter is.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Yeah I've just been watching it too. Wasn't that a brilliant round by Watson. I thought you would be cheering for the 'old player'.

Sergio played some awful shots and did well to finish even par. Even Tiger is hacking his way around at the moment even though he is hitting irons off the tee. But he usually recovers so well. Mind you he three putted from a pretty handy position earlier. Just shows what an overrated POS that SC putter is.
    Yes, absolutely great to see Watson turn back the clock; warms an old fellas heart.
    And contary to all those yank's opinion dosen't the course look fantastic. Interesting and picturesque.
    Also enjoying seeing Westwood play well, hope he can crack the big one.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Just watching the first round, even though the old blokes can't keep it up for 4 rounds how about Tom Watson! Go the old blokes!! His swing dosen't look much different than 30 years ago! What a fantastic player he has been.
    It must please a lot of people to see Sergio being given a golf lesson by Tom and to whoop his arse by 5 shots playing in the same group!!

BTW Dorkman, I know it is early days but what about my prediction of the experienced and mature players........look at the top of the leaderboard.
    I love Tom Watson. I'd be surprised if he is still on top of the leaderboard Sunday, but I'd also be delighted. I have nothing against older players, believe me.
    I must also concede that the course looks in a lot better condition as far as the lack of brown fairways, compared to many "British Opens" that I've seen in the past.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

we all know you prefer the BROWN dorkins

Does anyone have a link to watch it online?

Holy crap. Tom Watson is in the clubhouse at -5. Leading by 1 at the moment. Awesome!

You've got to love that about golf. While Watson will probably fade a bit and may not even finish in the top ten, the fact that he is leading a major at his age is quite impressive. Just goes to show that power and length are not necessarily the most important aspects of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by BURNDOG
    we all know you prefer the BROWN dorkins
    No, Spank....that's more of a San Francisco preference.....
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

i know most golfers over here in the states dislike the Open... but it's my favorite tournament they play all season... i know everyone says the courses look bad, theyre unfair, and the best golfer doesn't always win.... but i think that the landscape is the prettiest in the world... also i think to win the Open you have to be in total control over your golf ball.... bottom line, i think it's the greatest tournament in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    i know most golfers over here in the states dislike the Open... but it's my favorite tournament they play all season... i know everyone says the courses look bad, theyre unfair, and the best golfer doesn't always win.... but i think that the landscape is the prettiest in the world... also i think to win the Open you have to be in total control over your golf ball.... bottom line, i think it's the greatest tournament in the world...
    There you go HB an informed opinion as opposed to that of an ignorant tool.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Good to hear your impartial and educated opinion. There is nothing wrong with American golf, or the other majors; but I feel sometimes Americans are too insular, and honestly don't realise there is a whole world of golf outside the U.S.A.
    Nicklaus and Palmer certainly did. Tiger also saw the importance of winning the Open at St. Andrews.

Well said PM. I agree 100%.

I love that the courses weren't really deliberately designed but rather that they were "discovered".

We need more courses like those on this side of the pond.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I don't have cable so I don't get to see the Open this year. The free to air channel has made a sweet heart deal with Fox so for the first time in my life I only get to see a 1 hour highlights package each day. What a rip!

Getting back to the golf, Watson leading is a bit of deja vu of last year with the Shark. I don't know if he can lead going into Sunday, but it would be a great stroy if he could be in contention.

I also agree totally with PM. To me there is nothing more exciting than pure links golf. Of all the great courses I've played over the years, hte ones that stand out are the links courses. There's just something about spending four hours in wide open spaces of rugged natural beauty, exposed to the elements, and with the smell of salt air on the breeze. IMO no other golf compares to links golf.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Wow. I just saw that greasy, pony tailed spic on top of the leaderboard. That just won't do. Seve is the only Spaniard who is fit to be sitting at the top of an Open leaderboard IMO.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information