|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Tiger found out by a REAL test of golf

Hi

Tiger has been found out, not by tricked up muni's or tarted up average parkland courses but by a 7000 yd real golf course, with real rough, real bunkers and seaside weather.

On American manufactured courses you can drive it 60 to 100 yards left and right and get away with it. You can drive into fairway bunkers and hit it 200 yds onto the green. Not on a real golf course.

Tiger has won often in spite of poor shots. That is why Wiggle, HB and Dorkman seem to hate links golf. It fits in with their idealised view of golf where you can miss fairways by 50 yds and still scramble around. You miss by that much here you will lose your ball, and thats exactly how it should be.

I have played on many of these old links courses and they can show you up very quickly (playing off 8 i struggled around Burnham and Berrow links in 101 5 years ago). Wiggle, HB, DM none of you would be able to break 120 around here and thats why you despise it so much.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Winning the British Open is 90% getting lucky bounces, 10% skill. That's not golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    Winning the British Open is 90% getting lucky bounces, 10% skill. That's not golf.
    Thats why Nicklaus and Watson won so many, just lucky no skill.

You are a parkland chopper who speaks through ignorance. Come and play a links course and then speak.

Edgey

PS I assume the 90% 10% rule fits in with the famous quote "97% of all statistics are made up on the spot"
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Thats why Nicklaus and Watson won so many, just lucky no skill.

You are a parkland chopper who speaks through ignorance. Come and play a links course and then speak.

Edgey
    Seeing the 150 yard wide fairways at St. Andrews was enough for me. Nicklaus is great and could win anywhere. His concentration was enough to overcome the bad bounces and greens that rolled 4 on the stimp meter. Watson has excellent ball flight control and can hit it as low as anyone when he wants to. Winning a golf tournament shouldn't about overcoming crappy bounces on well struck shots or who can hit the ball the lowest.

Winning a golf tournament shouldn't about overcoming crappy bounces on well struck shots or who can hit the ball the lowest.
    Why?

Winning a golf tournament shouldnt be about hitting the ball 300 yds into the rough/fairway bunker and then bombing a wedge onto greens so soft your feet stick to them.

The reason Nicklaus/Watson won so many Opens was they had EVERY shot in the bag not just the massive high ball.

I know that yanks have a big problem with bad luck, but thats how golf was intended to be. Your problem is you have tried to remove that element from the game because it doesnt fit in with the Americans view of the wider world.

Edgey

PS I have played St Andrews and it aint the best links course, but it has a certain history that means it will always be on the Open Rota.

Why?

Winning a golf tournament shouldnt be about hitting the ball 300 yds into the rough/fairway bunker and then bombing a wedge onto greens so soft your feet stick to them.

The reason Nicklaus/Watson won so many Opens was they had EVERY shot in the bag not just the massive high ball.

I know that yanks have a big problem with bad luck, but thats how golf was intended to be. Your problem is you have tried to remove that element from the game because it doesnt fit in with the Americans view of the wider world.

Edgey

PS I have played St Andrews and it aint the best links course, but it has a certain history that means it will always be on the Open Rota.
    A good test of golf should reward good shots and penalize bad ones. This is not the case in the British Open. Regardless of how you play...high ball or low ball, bomb and gouge or fairways and greens...the player who makes the most good shots should win. That is not the case in the British Open...as evidenced by all the Todd Hamilton's, Ben Curtis', and Paul Lawrie's on the trophy.

The Ailsa course is special and deserves respect. Save your whining about the crappy courses for the next 7 out of 10 years.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    The Ailsa course is special and deserves respect. Save your whining about the crappy courses for the next 7 out of 10 years.
    Carnoustie is the only course in the entire Rota that I wouldn't consider a goat track.

Have you played the Ailsa? It's pretty cool and a good test, provided the winds stay under 30 mph.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Have you played the Ailsa? It's pretty cool and a good test, provided the winds stay under 30 mph.
    The best thing about Turnberry was the whiskey bar they just took out to make more room for fatties that want to lounge around the hotel lobby.

A good test of golf should reward good shots and penalize bad ones. the player who makes the most good shots should win. That is not the case in the British Open...as evidenced by all the Todd Hamilton's, Ben Curtis', and Paul Lawrie's on the trophy.
    Repeating your ignorance in no way makes it less ignorant or more right.

The Masters,Tiger hits a drive 80 yards off line. He is then able to get on the green! How does that fit in with your warped logic. A shite shot is rewarded with a birdie. Tiger made some awful shots at this years Open and was punished. Therefore by your argument you should like the Open.

As for your comments on previous Open Winners

Masters Cabrerra, Immelman, Johnson

US Open Lucas Glover!!, Micheal Campbell!!!!!, Ogilvy

USPGA Rich Beem, Shaun Micheel, Harrington

Bums get lucky in all sorts of Majors not just the Open.

Edgey

The best thing about Turnberry was the whiskey bar they just took out to make more room for fatties that want to lounge around the hotel lobby.
    So how many links courses have you played Wiggle?

Edgey

Repeating your ignorance in no way makes it less ignorant or more right.

The Masters,Tiger hits a drive 80 yards off line. He is then able to get on the green! How does that fit in with your warped logic. A shite shot is rewarded with a birdie. Tiger made some awful shots at this years Open and was punished. Therefore by your argument you should like the Open.

As for your comments on previous Open Winners

Masters Cabrerra, Immelman, Johnson

US Open Lucas Glover!!, Micheal Campbell!!!!!, Ogilvy

USPGA Rich Beem, Shaun Micheel, Harrington

Bums get lucky in all sorts of Majors not just the Open.

Edgey
    They grew rough at the Masters. It may not be much but they have rough and due to the ridiculous undulation of the greens and the very fast speeds that rough can be severly penal. Not you can't advance you ball penal, more like you won't hold the green penal and you'll make 6 or 7 because you're short sided.

In case you didn't know Lucas Glover is considered one of the rising stars on the PGA Tour. He has amazing swing dynamics and any teacher in the know will tell you the kid will be a star some day. You really need to admit that the British Open has more than it's share of loser champions.

You really need to admit that the British Open has more than it's share of loser champions.
    You need to admit that the logic of your argument (good shots good rewards etc) has been found out

Edgey

You need to admit that the logic of your argument (good shots good rewards etc) has been found out

Edgey
    Please post me the ridiculously low driving accuracy stats of any Masters Champ from the last 5 years.

So how many links courses have you played Wiggle?

Edgey
    I don't know...a few. I tend to avoid them after having experienced them and thinking my money was better spent on a well groomed course that rewarded good shots.

Edgey=right on the money.
    Wiggle=owned.

Well done Edgey for your fine work on this thread, there are plenty of golf lovers who agree with you.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Edgey=right on the money.
    Wiggle=owned.

Well done Edgey for your fine work on this thread, there are plenty of golf lovers who agree with you.

LOL at all these British Open apologists!!!!

Please post me the ridiculously low driving accuracy stats of any Masters Champ from the last 5 years.
    You lost me, the fairways are so wide and the rough so weak you dont need to hit good shots to win. Hence why Perry was so close.

The Open is a true test of ALL aspects of Golf, not just the 1 dimensional shite that you seem to covet.

Since you have never played real golf i dont see the point of discussing that which you have no 1st hand understanding of.

Edgey

You lost me, the fairways are so wide and the rough so weak you dont need to hit good shots to win. Hence why Perry was so close.

The Open is a true test of ALL aspects of Golf, not just the 1 dimensional shite that you seem to covet.

Since you have never played real golf i dont see the point of discussing that which you have no 1st hand understanding of.

Edgey
    LOL at Edgey...he couldn't find any Masters Champs with poor driving accuracy. OWNED!

Your bang on edgey, the reason the yanks don't like it is because they want everything big, supersize everything greens, fairways the massive drive, yes the yanks always want it big, probably why your wife married an Englishman. Turnberry is providing us with pure golf, excellent course management and a steely nerve. Great work edge

This course used to be a good overall test of skill, but adding 24 bunkers (most of which are between 270 & 290 out) pretty much took to away any advantage a long hitter might have. The longer hitters couldn't even pull 3 wood on most holes because the bunkers are so penal, while a short knocker can go balls out and safely hit his driver short of 270. Length is as much apart of the game as course management, mental resilience, short game, ball striking, and putting. Completely taking length out of the equation is no different than making all greens perfectly flat in order to nuetralize the advantage of good putters. A great course rewards all facets of the game...this is no longer a great course.
    Last edited by The Purist; 07-17-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Lets not forget Tigers won the British open 3 times. We all have bad days, I here he was just coming off of a bad cold. What bothers me is his subpar behavior on a course. Tom Watsons a true champion, and played some impressive golf today, I would enjoy watching a 59 year old who loves the game win.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Adversely, I just think that Tom's advantage is his incapability to hit far. He's off the risk. Putting additional bunkers will make the course more challenging only to Tiger, Rory, etc. but not to those who are on Champions Tour. That is one noticeable design flaw.

It's really much simpler than this.

Tiger Woods, contrary to many reports, is human.
    Humans are fallible.
    Therefore, Tiger Woods is fallible.

On any given week, nearly anybody on the PGA Tour can get hot enough to win, though some do it far more frequently than others, and many never do.

Tiger missing a cut is sort of a "man bites dog" story, because he is so consistently great.

As I recall, he has hoisted the Claret Jug on multiple occasions.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    It's really much simpler than this.

Tiger Woods, contrary to many reports, is human.
    Humans are fallible.
    Therefore, Tiger Woods is fallible.

On any given week, nearly anybody on the PGA Tour can get hot enough to win, though some do it far more frequently than others, and many never do.

Tiger missing a cut is sort of a "man bites dog" story, because he is so consistently great.

As I recall, he has hoisted the Claret Jug on multiple occasions.
    Totally agree with you DM

I have 2 points though

1. Tiger has NEVER won an Open where there is penal rough so his driving accuracy is not so crucial.

2. Tiger has driven very poorly recently but his unbelieveable strength and skill get him out of it. On links courses with real rough you simply cannot drive as badly as he has done in America and get away with it. Surely as Wiggle says bad shots should be punished, and Tigers bad shots have been punished this week. He is still arguably the greatest golfer to have ever lived.

Edgey

Different courses have different griefs and torments. It is also "unfair" that some players play certain courses in the morning vs. the afternoon, and vice versa. Life isn't fair.
    This is good, because it gets boring if the same small group of people can win the overwhelming majority of the time. There should be times when a particular course is well suited to one of the "journeymen," and we get to see an occasional fresh face at the top of the leaderboard.
    Last edited by dorkman53; 07-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Life isn't fair. This is good, because it gets boring if the same small group of people can win the overwhelming majority of the time. There should be times when a particular course is well suited to one of the "journeymen," and we get to see an occasional fresh face at the top of the leaderboard.
    Indeed

Edgey

This course reminds me senior citizens on the 72 pars,hit short and keep on the fairways and reach par.The rough at the open is more like a hay field,I am cheering for Watson,showed class looking for Marinos ball and patience waiting to play on.I do agree with edgey that there are alot of manicured courses that have wide fairways and hardly any rough,if you call pinestraw a rough.A narrow fairway is more unforgiving.I"m surprised how well Dalys doing and surprise hes long hitter like Tiger Woods.

I disagree that Tiger was found out by a real golf course. He just played like sh*t and probably would have missed the cut in any major event. I don't know whats going on with his swing but even his chipping and putting was cr@p at times.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 07-19-2009 at 01:19 AM.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Maybe he should go back with Butch Harmon,I really don"t see any inprovement with Hank Haney.Or a new caddie,any slight change may be a fresh start.his attitude latey has been not suiting that of the number one player in the world,he could use a lesson in humility from Tom Watson,I think John Daly showed more class than Woods in this tournament.

One thing happily missing during 'Open' week is long bombing Yanks actually aiming for greenside bunkers on par 5's, going for the easy up and par birdie. Links courses like Turnberry gladly don't reward players for fiinding greenside bunkers. Other Open courses like the Old course even more so. Bunkers at British links courses provide the penalty they were always meant to provide. To see professionals actually trying to hit it in bunkers is a blight on the game. It shoudn't happen. On Real golf courses bunkers are things to be avoided and feared, not rejoiced and aimed at.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by dano8238
    Maybe he should go back with Butch Harmon,I really don"t see any inprovement with Hank Haney.Or a new caddie,any slight change may be a fresh start.his attitude latey has been not suiting that of the number one player in the world,he could use a lesson in humility from Tom Watson,I think John Daly showed more class than Woods in this tournament.
    JD shows more class than the rest of the field combined every week, especially off the course.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

This is good, because it gets boring if the same small group of people can win the overwhelming majority of the time. There should be times when a particular course is well suited to one of the "journeymen," and we get to see an occasional fresh face at the top of the leaderboard.
    Agree with your point.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by BURNDOG
    Your bang on edgey, the reason the yanks don't like it is because they want everything big, supersize everything greens, fairways the massive drive, yes the yanks always want it big, probably why your wife married an Englishman. Turnberry is providing us with pure golf, excellent course management and a steely nerve. Great work edge
    are you trying to tell us that ian poulter is well endowed? do you know this from experience?
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

There should be times when a particular course is well suited to one of the "journeymen," and we get to see an occasional fresh face at the top of the leaderboard.
    this is kenny perry's entire dumbarse reason for being on tour. 18 dogleg lefts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    JD shows more class than the rest of the field combined every week, especially off the course.
    this is true only when charlie hoffman & miguel angel jiminez is not in the field. they are true men's men.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    this is true only when charlie hoffman & miguel angel jiminez is not in the field. they are true men's men.
    Agree about Hoffman, but Jiminez looks like a Colombian drug baron with that greasy looking ponytail.

One thing happily missing during 'Open' week is long bombing Yanks actually aiming for greenside bunkers on par 5's, going for the easy up and par birdie. Links courses like Turnberry gladly don't reward players for fiinding greenside bunkers. Other Open courses like the Old course even more so. Bunkers at British links courses provide the penalty they were always meant to provide. To see professionals actually trying to hit it in bunkers is a blight on the game. It shoudn't happen. On Real golf courses bunkers are things to be avoided and feared, not rejoiced and aimed at.
    How does this post tally with the HB was right all along blah blah blah post on the other thread about the Open?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Not true about the Old Course in the slightest. There are at least 3 reachable par 4's that Tiger absolutely owns. You just wail away with driver and hope to avoid the 3 or 4 gashes in an otherwise mile wide fairway. Old Course = overrated POS.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Not true about the Old Course in the slightest. There are at least 3 reachable par 4's that Tiger absolutely owns. You just wail away with driver and hope to avoid the 3 or 4 gashes in an otherwise mile wide fairway. Old Course = overrated POS.
    As i previously said the Old Course is not the best course on the Open rota and unlike HB i have played it so can speak from first hand experience.

I would agree that it is a little overated, BUT its heritage will mean it will remain on the Open rota for many years to come, and i agree that Tiger will continue to own it for many years to come.

If the Open was at St Andrews every year Tiger would have beaten Jacks major record some years ago.

Edgey

Here are my thoughts about this thread and links courses:

1.) The British Open this year was one of the most entertaining and opens the possibilities of golf up to all ages. It looks like I'll never get rid of the 50-70 year old hackers on my home course now.

2.) I've never played a links course before in my life. I'd love to though because I bump and run the ball really well. I get lots of practice having to keep the ball low as I hit out from under the trees.

3.) The bunker situations here in America are a joke. I have to agree with this one. I've thought for a long time that they need to make them more of a "penalty" instead of a "safe" play. The links courses have definitely got the bunkers right.

4.) The "rough" is definitely rough. However, there are many courses here in the US that can rival them.

5.) Where we might fail in making penalty worthy bunkers, we more than make up for it in making the greens a lot more challenging. Hell, I think I could putt on those greens and I can't putt for **** right now.

6.) While the links courses are challenging in being exposed to the elements, the trees lining the fairways in US courses offer their own types of challenges that links players never experience.

7.) Miguel Angel Jimenez cannot be placed in the same category as John Daly. He doesn't have the off course reputation. He IS however, one of my favorite players even if he is a Spaniard.

8.) John Daly HAS to find another sponsor real soon and drop that freaking clothing line. He is starting to be placed in the same category as Ian Poulter because of his wardrobe.

9.) I'm thankful to see BJ Drivers back posting since this forum can always use the consistent wisdom of two central plains US white male heterosexuals.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

By the way, the phrase, "central plains US white male heterosexuals," does NOT include the Texans on here. It is common knowledge here in the states that Texans are switch hitters and have even been known to pickle tickle sheep . . . .

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Funny how Tiger won an Open there by finding zero bunkers for the entire week. Ask the pro's who find the bunker on 17 over the years if they were aiming for it.

Old course = ultimate test of golf. So said by Jack, Tiger, and Renton Laidlaw. Shared greens and all, there is no course where the cream rises to the top like St Andrews. There's a reason this course has been left alone, and hasn't been 'tiger proofed' like some so called golf courses in your country.

This is one reason why I would prefer the European tour, Caribbean tour or Asian tour over the PGA ....................The other tours just offer tougher courses that require all shots in the bag all the time. Because most of their courses are ocean side or mountain side.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    This is one reason why I would prefer the European tour, Caribbean tour or Asian tour over the PGA ....................The other tours just offer tougher courses that require all shots in the bag all the time. Because most of their courses are ocean side or mountain side.
    I've never been one to subscribe to the school of thought that suggested a golf course is tougher or better due to the weather conditions. A course is the layout, it can play tougher based on wind conditions but any course that relies on wind to defend itself is a poor course. The layout should be the test, not mother nature. Saying Turnberry is a tough course because the winning score was 2 under is like saying I hit the ball 350 yards off the tee because I did it with the wind at my back.

I've never been one to subscribe to the school of thought that suggested a golf course is tougher or better due to the weather conditions. A course is the layout, it can play tougher based on wind conditions but any course that relies on wind to defend itself is a poor course. The layout should be the test, not mother nature. Saying Turnberry is a tough course because the winning score was 2 under is like saying I hit the ball 350 yards off the tee because I did it with the wind at my back.
    I thought you ALWAYS hit the ball 350yds regardless of wind conditions?

Edgey

I thought you ALWAYS hit the ball 350yds regardless of wind conditions?

Edgey
    I was speaking in generalities. I hit power fades 346 yards into the wind.

I was speaking in generalities. I hit power fades 346 yards into the wind.
    No wonder you dont like the Open, with that driving you would be the Open champ, not Cink. I can see why you view it as a choppers goat track.

Fancy wasting your time trolling around here when you could have won £750,000

What a waste of talent

Edgey

No wonder you dont like the Open, with that driving you would be the Open champ, not Cink. I can see why you view it as a choppers goat track.

Fancy wasting your time trolling around here when you could have won £750,000

What a waste of talent

Edgey

Is that like 12 US dollars?

Is that like 12 US dollars?
    Close.

You have roughly the right numbers but there should be a decimal point and the word million in there

to help it would be $1.2 million

Your welcome

Edgey

Close.

You have roughly the right numbers but there should be a decimal point and the word million in there

to help it would be $1.2 million

Your welcome

Edgey
    That's if you can find a bank dumb enough to take that British currency. When are you boys going to get on the Euro?

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    We have tons of fantastic courses in the states that will rival and exceed any in the world. The problem is in order to be considerred for a tour event they need to be able to handle the crowds and media. This means tons of room for errant shots! Like it or not the courses that are played are dictated by their ability to generate revenue through attendance and TV coverage. Because of this the PGA Tour probably plays second rate courses as there are some real gems out there that will never see a tour event unless it's one of the mini tours that doesn't have the same requirements.

That's if you can find a bank dumb enough to take that British currency. When are you boys going to get on the Euro?
    On the subject of currency, is the speculation true that the federal reserve in your country is thinking of changing the name of your currency from the US dollar to the North American Peso?

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    We have tons of fantastic courses in the states that will rival and exceed any in the world. The problem is in order to be considerred for a tour event they need to be able to handle the crowds and media. This means tons of room for errant shots! Like it or not the courses that are played are dictated by their ability to generate revenue through attendance and TV coverage. Because of this the PGA Tour probably plays second rate courses as there are some real gems out there that will never see a tour event unless it's one of the mini tours that doesn't have the same requirements.
    Your right .......................but in the states they either want you to pay 6 figures a year to be a member or charge you like 500 bucks a round to play 18 measly holes. I can travel to The British Isles, or Singapore or some other BFE destination and pay less than that and play all frikin week long with 36 holes a day , and wouldnt see anyone but the caddy and whoever else is in the group im playing with. And the courses would almost appear untouched for days by the avid golfer. And you dont hear cars and lawn mowers when you tee off.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

edgey mate, how does Carnoustie stack up to the other scottish courses? have you played it? it looked like a bastard when van de velde choked his balls up in '99....

Thread Information