|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Replacing Old Irons

I need advice on replacing my set of irons. I am not an equipment junkie, and currently have Callaway X-12s that I bought used 3 years ago. These clubs are 12 years old, and as such have a few minor nicks in them that I do not believe affects my play. I am a mid-handicapper and spend quite a bit of time on the range and have and will continue to take lessons.

My question is, since my clubs are 10+ years old, am I short-changing myself on the golf course by not updating my equipment to the latest technology? I don't believe equipments make the player, but at the same time I'm wondering if I will see noticeable difference by taking advantage of the more recent technology.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

If you're used to them, like them, play well with them, and they are in reasonably good condition, there would be no urgency to replace them. The "newer" technology isn't going to make that much difference, despite the marketing claims of the manufactuers.
    If you simply have the itch to get different clubs, though, it's always fun to try new clubs. Demo, though, if at all possible.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

My irons are 15 years old and my iron play is the strongest part of my game. I've tried modern clubs from Ping, Callaway, Mizuno, Yonex, and others. Always ended up going back to my old irons. They just look good at set up and the shafts are apparently nicely suited to my swing. If you are happy with your iron play, don't waste money on new clubs. Spend the money on lessons and range time instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gepetohong
    I need advice on replacing my set of irons. I am not an equipment junkie, and currently have Callaway X-12s that I bought used 3 years ago. These clubs are 12 years old, and as such have a few minor nicks in them that I do not believe affects my play. I am a mid-handicapper and spend quite a bit of time on the range and have and will continue to take lessons.

My question is, since my clubs are 10+ years old, am I short-changing myself on the golf course by not updating my equipment to the latest technology? I don't believe equipments make the player, but at the same time I'm wondering if I will see noticeable difference by taking advantage of the more recent technology.

Leave gơod enough alone, don't change it if you are happy with your clubs... Just want to make sure that you have all the clubs to fill in the gaps... You could hit 160 yds with a 9-iron while I could hit only 120 yds with my 9 iron, but that does not matter, as long as I have clubs to fill in the gaps. X-12 irons are gơod clubs, I currently use X-16 and I love them, very forgiving and accurate. Assuming that you hit the ball quite straight, new technology would give you 10-15 yds more (at best), but you still have to fill in the gaps, so it does not matter, save your money for lesson, range etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Leave gơod enough alone, don't change it if you are happy with your clubs... Just want to make sure that you have all the clubs to fill in the gaps... You could hit 160 yds with a 9-iron while I could hit only 120 yds with my 9 iron, but that does not matter, as long as I have clubs to fill in the gaps. X-12 irons are gơod clubs, I currently use X-16 and I love them, very forgiving and accurate. Assuming that you hit the ball quite straight, new technology would give you 10-15 yds more (at best), but you still have to fill in the gaps, so it does not matter, save your money for lesson, range etc...
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Here are the clubs that I have:

Driver
    3-Wood
    3-5 Hybrids
    5-PW Irons
    SW
    LW

The reason I have a 5H and a 5I is because I hit my 5H around 180, and can't get my 6I more than about 155. I'm not that consistent with the 5I but can typically get about 160-165 out of it so it fills the gap. My thinking was that if I can get consistently another 10 yards with new technology, I would fill that gap naturally and not have to carry 2 5-clubs. Any merit to that?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Here are the clubs that I have:

Driver
    3-Wood
    3-5 Hybrids
    5-PW Irons
    SW
    LW

The reason I have a 5H and a 5I is because I hit my 5H around 180, and can't get my 6I more than about 155. I'm not that consistent with the 5I but can typically get about 160-165 out of it so it fills the gap. My thinking was that if I can get consistently another 10 yards with new technology, I would fill that gap naturally and not have to carry 2 5-clubs. Any merit to that?
    Apart from some manufacturers making the lofts of irons stronger you won't hit modern irons any further than your X-12's. You might find a modern 6 iron that is a similar loft to your current 5 iron and fill the gap that way but then that might leave a gap at the other end of the bag and you'll need an extra wedge.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Apart from some manufacturers making the lofts of irons stronger you won't hit modern irons any further than your X-12's. You might find a modern 6 iron that is a similar loft to your current 5 iron and fill the gap that way but then that might leave a gap at the other end of the bag and you'll need an extra wedge.
    So I think what I'm hearing is that today's technology, as compared to 10 years ago, will not get my ball any farther given the same conditions. And I think you all have also implied that it will not help me hit the ball any more consistently either? In that case I see no reason to change.

No, no, mate you've got us all wrong.

It is an acknowledged GR fact that new clubs will knock at least 4 strokes off your handicap!

Now where the f#ck am I?

As Kiwi said the modern lofts are stronger. Also many of the shafts are an extra club longer; so that within a degree or so of loft a modern 6 iron IS the same as an older 5 iron. All the same, demo some new clubs as Dorkman suggests. There are often significant differences in sound and feel, and this can add a extra dimension of enjoyment to your game.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

So I think what I'm hearing is that today's technology, as compared to 10 years ago, will not get my ball any farther given the same conditions. And I think you all have also implied that it will not help me hit the ball any more consistently either? In that case I see no reason to change.
    As long as your set fills all the necessary gap, then don't change if you are happy with your set. I probably stay with my X-16 set until all the grơoves worn out (maybe never) because I have all the tơols to fill all gaps, which is more important than how far you could hit

I'm probably the only one who will give you this advice on here anymore since NAH has decided to become a switchitter, so listen carefully. You obviously are willing to put in the time to improve your golf game and I believe I recognize in your post you desire to get better and move into the "low handicapper" range. The answer is to ditch those sticks and purchase you some Mizuno MP 67 irons with Dynamic Gold steel shafts.

Your answer has been solved and you are welcome.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I'm probably the only one who will give you this advice on here anymore since NAH has decided to become a switchitter, so listen carefully. You obviously are willing to put in the time to improve your golf game and I believe I recognize in your post you desire to get better and move into the "low handicapper" range. The answer is to ditch those sticks and purchase you some Mizuno MP 67 irons with Dynamic Gold steel shafts.

Your answer has been solved and you are welcome.
    Just cause I've gone shovel doesnt mean I don't recoginse good advice when I see it. I would agree with your assessment that this kid should go GFF and get himself a set of MP 67's asap. I would also go one further and advise ditching the lessons and instead just go out there on the range and dig a game out of the dirt with the GFF. The feedback you will get will tell you more about your swing than some pathetic snake oil salesman hacker who isn't good enough to go out on tour earn an honest living.

GFF and digging it out of the dirt is the tried and true GR path to improvement and the only guaranteed way to drop at least four shots off your cap.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Okay, this has degraded quickly. I'm just looking for honest, serious advice which I was getting at first, but now with these half-in-jest comments I am getting more confused than anything.

First of all, I'm in my 40's so I would appreciate if you would limit terms like "kid" unless you are in your 60's+. Second, I can only construe advice such as Mizuno MP67 as a joke, and since my intent was to receive serious advice I can only dismiss you as an ass. I have done enough research to know what clubs are right for me, just not whether I should get a new set or not.

Here's my situation: I belong to a golf club so I don't have to worry about range ball or round expenses. And as such, I get a good share of both in. The reason I am saying this is because I don't know whether to take "ditch the lessons and ... dig a game out" comment as serious or not. I practice to get better and thus focus on techniques rather than just hit the maximum amount of range balls. I hit the ball reasonably straight and fairly consistently, but not straight or consistent enough to get my score into the 80's yet. I've been playing for about 4 years, and seriously for about 9 months.

I am looking for advice on whether I should get an up-to-date set of clubs, and I would if it offered these two advantages: Given the same swing, 1) Will it help me hit it farther than clubs 10+ years old, and 2) will it help me get the ball up more consistently due to perimeter weighting, MOI, etc? I hear today's technology enables both, but wanted more non-partial opinions. Thanks.

If they work don't switch. There is a lot of new technology out there in woods and balls, but you won't find a whole lot more in irons. My advice would be to take them to a fitter and see if they fit your swing dynamics.

Okay, this has degraded quickly. I'm just looking for honest, serious advice which I was getting at first, but now with these half-in-jest comments I am getting more confused than anything.

First of all, I'm in my 40's so I would appreciate if you would limit terms like "kid" unless you are in your 60's+. Second, I can only construe advice such as Mizuno MP67 as a joke, and since my intent was to receive serious advice I can only dismiss you as an ass. I have done enough research to know what clubs are right for me, just not whether I should get a new set or not.

Here's my situation: I belong to a golf club so I don't have to worry about range ball or round expenses. And as such, I get a good share of both in. The reason I am saying this is because I don't know whether to take "ditch the lessons and ... dig a game out" comment as serious or not. I practice to get better and thus focus on techniques rather than just hit the maximum amount of range balls. I hit the ball reasonably straight and fairly consistently, but not straight or consistent enough to get my score into the 80's yet. I've been playing for about 4 years, and seriously for about 9 months.

I am looking for advice on whether I should get an up-to-date set of clubs, and I would if it offered these two advantages: Given the same swing, 1) Will it help me hit it farther than clubs 10+ years old, and 2) will it help me get the ball up more consistently due to perimeter weighting, MOI, etc? I hear today's technology enables both, but wanted more non-partial opinions. Thanks.
    Do you live anywhere close to Branson, Missouri?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Do you live anywhere close to Branson, Missouri?
    No, Atlanta. Why?

DO NOT listen to a lot of guys here who play Mizuno blades because their ego is stupidly high... they are better off with CB irons like X-12.... but no, their ego is in the way, I am not sure what the hell they are trying to prove... Have you heard of a $2000-man (the cost of golf clubs) and they can't play shiiiiittttt,
    Nuf said

SoonerBS switched to Mizuno last year and now he worships at the GFF (Grain Flow Forged) Altar and thinks that all aspiring golfers should do the same. The Mp-52's or MX-200's would be a better choice if you were to consider Mizuno.

Comments from NAH like "ditch the lessons and ... dig a game out" should also be ignored. Even though he was probably semi serious. Fine if you're 16 but you don't have that much time on your side in your 40's.

Honestly the best thing to do would be to demo a few of the newer offerings and decide for yourself. The new X-22's are the latest upgrade of your X-12s. If you could demo those side by side with your old clubs that would really give you the answer you're looking for.

Although many of us have said that new irons won't make that much difference there is no question that there is definitely a feel good factor about a set of new clubs and just the added positivity and confidence you get from new clubs can lead to improvement in your play.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You can keep the same irons and do just fine. It all depends on how well you play them. Oh, sure, there is always a jazzier, more flashy set of clubs introduced every year, by at least 12-15 major manufacturers. What so many neophytes forget is that these companies are in the business of selling clubs, not making 'better' clubs. If Nike's marketing gets you to buy 'Tiger's clubs', or Titleist gets you to buy ProV1's, then they've succeeded, while you've only p*ssed away your money on stuff that won't help you.

If your clubs are comfortable to you, then keep on using them. Despite the changes in drivers, and even fairway woods & hybrids, over the last decade, the performance standards of irons hasn't changed drastically. Oh, sure, some, but we're talking a factor of going from 90% to 93% effectiveness. As in, you hit the ball 1/4" off center, and it doesn't even matter. Is your game THAT exact to compensate for the difference? Mine sure isn't. Nor are the games of about 95% of the posters on here, despite what they pretend.

Lot's of my friends still play their Ping eye2's from the early 80's, and they whip my butt in doing so. I play irons that are over 15 years old, and I do just fine with them.

The biggest impact on your score is how well you control your swing, and the consistency of that swing. Keep those old Callaways, and focus instead on improving your short game. You'll save 4-6 strokes per round, and you'll also confound the kids who think game improvement only comes via newer, flashier equipment...

Thanks, good advice and point taken.

SoonerBS switched to Mizuno last year and now he worships at the GFF (Grain Flow Forged) Altar and thinks that all aspiring golfers should do the same. The Mp-52's or MX-200's would be a better choice if you were to consider Mizuno.

Comments from NAH like "ditch the lessons and ... dig a game out" should also be ignored. Even though he was probably semi serious. Fine if you're 16 but you don't have that much time on your side in your 40's.

Honestly the best thing to do would be to demo a few of the newer offerings and decide for yourself. The new X-22's are the latest upgrade of your X-12s. If you could demo those side by side with your old clubs that would really give you the answer you're looking for.

Although many of us have said that new irons won't make that much difference there is no question that there is definitely a feel good factor about a set of new clubs and just the added positivity and confidence you get from new clubs can lead to improvement in your play.
    Thanks, there is a psychological aspect to it for sure. But, now I'm even more unsure what I should do...

I was deadly serious about getting GFF and digging it out of the dirt. Not necessarily getting a full set to play with, but getting a 6 iron to use exclusively on the range. The precise feedback and feel you get from that will tell you what you are doing right and wrong, and will make lesser clubs a breeze to play with on the course by comparison. A pro who is a good friend of mine once told me that in his opinion the best way to go is to use blades on the range, but GI clubs on course. I tend to agree with him.

As for lessons, it probably doesn't hurt to get a good pro to look over your setup and fundamentals, but after that lessons will do your game more harm than good unless you have enough time to really dedicate yourself to putting into place the changes they make. If you are young and have plenty of time on your hands and have ambitions to go pro, obviously you will need ongoing tuition. But for a guy like you in your 40's who I would imagine doesn't have the time and money for weekly lessons combined with 20 plus hours a week on the practice range, I think lessons may just confuse you and make you worse. And it's a fact that some pro's don't know shitt from clay and will teach you the wrong stuff anyway. Better to get the GFF and dig it out of the dirt so you progress at your own pace and retain what you learn. Once you get a feel for the game you can incorporate some things you see or read about in mags and keep what works for you and ignore what doesn't.

My final bit of advice is to make sure you put plenty of time in on the putting green. I can guarantee from experience that this is the area you can improve the most just by practising. And a good putter (less than 30 putts per round) will break 90 every time they tee off, regardless of how bad the rest of their game is on the day.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I was deadly serious about getting GFF and digging it out of the dirt.
    As for lessons, it probably doesn't hurt to get a good pro to look over your setup and fundamentals, but after that lessons will do your game more harm than good unless you have enough time to really dedicate yourself to putting into place the changes they make. Lessons may just confuse you and make you worse. Better to get the GFF and dig it out of the dirt so you progress at your own pace and retain what you learn. Once you get a feel for the game you can incorporate some things you see or read about in mags and keep what works for you and ignore what doesn't.
    The only problem I have with this theory is that if you ingrain a swing fault it will be that much harder to unlearn when you eventually decide you're tired of always slicing it (or hooking it or hitting it fat/thin) and decide to go see a pro to iron out the chinks.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The only problem I have with this theory is that if you ingrain a swing fault it will be that much harder to unlearn when you eventually decide you're tired of always slicing it (or hooking it or hitting it fat/thin) and decide to go see a pro to iron out the chinks.
    Wouldn't doing this result in assault charges, or at the very least being cited by the board?

Wouldn't doing this result in assault charges, or at the very least being cited by the board?

LOL - I meant the chinks in the armour not the chinks at your course.

Now where the f#ck am I?

LOL - I meant the chinks in the armour not the chinks at your course.
    Don't actually have any at my course. They prefer more expensive private clubs. Our course and clubhouse is like a set of an old Western. I've actually been walking towards the front door on occassions and seen guys thrown out, dust themselves off, then march back inside. It's quietened down a little over the last few years, but it still feels more like a pub than a golf clubhouse.

Don't actually have any at my course. They prefer more expensive private clubs. Our course and clubhouse is like a set of an old Western. I've actually been walking towards the front door on occassions and seen guys thrown out, dust themselves off, then march back inside. It's quietened down a little over the last few years, but it still feels more like a pub than a golf clubhouse.
    Tell us more NAH, you're club sounds kind of interesting! I know about the actual course being a goat track, but what about the clubhouse?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

"Our course and clubhouse is like a set of an old Western"

is there sawdust on the floor, and a fat guy called DONK stood in the corner with a pint on his head?

Now this IS a surprise knowing the warm welcome they would no doubt receive at your fine establishment.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Tell us more NAH, you're club sounds kind of interesting! I know about the actual course being a goat track, but what about the clubhouse?
    I have been careful not to name the club as I don't want to be ungrateful, but I am happy to describe the clubhouse. It's basically a 1950's era public hall type structure. Weatherboard with tin roof, with partitions dividing the bar area from the poker machine room. The only renovatons since it wa built are a tarp covering an outdoor area, a new bbq, regular painting, and that's it. The offices, bar and toilets are original, and the bistro is a counter attached to the kitchen at the far end of the drinking area. I actually think it has a great atmosphere and like it the way it is, it's like walking into a time warp when you enter the carpark. I've been in plenty of golf clubs which are renovated, and the feel is never quite the same.

For all the crap I hang on the course itself, I must say my golf club is a great place to be a member. The members are a great bunch of knock about blokes who love a drink and a round of golf (usually in that order and both at the same time), and I have great memories of the place. The fact is, nobody would stay there for the course alone.

Thread Information