|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

We owe HB an apology

All those who ridiculed HB's assessment of the Open as nothing more than a goat track luck fest (we know who we are) should be having a double serving of humble pie this morning. As predicted by HB, the Open has thrown up another no name, useless hacker who nobody has ever heard of, and hasn't beensighted at a presentation in years. Stewart Cink, pronounced Chink (WTF, is he Chinese or something?), is certainly up there with Curtis, Lawrie and Hamilton as an example of a golfer who wouldn't be fit to tie Tiger's shoelaces now being called a major champion. And his only competition in the playoff was a geriatric, broken down has been who usually rides a cart when he plays golf.

HB, you were right and we were wrong.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Cink isn't a nobody. He's a multi-time Ryder cup player who is steady, if not exciting. He didn't come out of nowhere to do this; he was 33rd in the world coming into this tournament, and he survived a brutal test on a tough course under challenging conditions. He's no Todd Hamilton or Ben Curtis flash in the pan material.
    I would have loved to see Watson win, but Cink deserves the credit for his perseverance and maintaining his calm in the face of obvious crowd preference for Watson.

http://www.officialworldgolfranking....gs/default.sps
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Cink isn't a nobody. He's a multi-time Ryder cup player who is steady, if not exciting. He didn't come out of nowhere to do this; he was 33rd in the world coming into this tournament, and he survived a brutal test on a tough course under challenging conditions.
    I would have loved to see Watson win, but Cink deserves the credit for his perseverance and maintaining his calm in the face of obvious crowd preference for Watson.

http://www.officialworldgolfranking....gs/default.sps
    They are both bums. Only difference is that one of them wasn't always that way.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    They are both bums. Only difference is that one of them wasn't always that way.
    You're a genius, NAH......

I was actually hoping for a bite from Fred3 but you'll do.

I was actually hoping for a bite from Fred3 but you'll do.
    Well, "pretending" to be mentally challenged as well as annoying does represent an irresistible target.........

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    NaH is right, Cink is a typical sod layer nobody who capitalized on Tiger's early exit & Phil a no-show. A champion's tour reject and another run-of-the-mill Nike bum. WTF is golf coming too. This was the most boring major I've seen in quite a while. Watson was needing oxygen on the second playoff hole.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    NaH is right, Cink is a typical sod layer nobody who capitalized on Tiger's early exit & Phil a no-show. A champion's tour reject and another run-of-the-mill Nike bum. WTF is golf coming too. This was the most boring major I've seen in quite a while. Watson was needing oxygen on the second playoff hole.
    Please post on this board when, on the verge of your 60th birthday you are leading a major golf tournament, so we can all wish you well.

Face it; "The Open" is a quirky tournament in the universe of golf tournaments. For those who say it is the "only true test," let them hold that opinion. But there is definitely a different sort of skill set required vs. most tournaments, plus a generous contribution of good old fashioned dumb luck.

What makes me laugh about all this is that when Harrington won it last year he 'only won it because Tiger wasn't there' and therefore shouldn't be afforded the status of a true major winner.

This year Tiger was there alright but played such terrible golf that he didn't even make the cut. So Cink is just a sod laying chopper who 'took advantage of Tiger's early exit' and accordingly also shouldn't be afforded the status of a true major winner.

LOL - there's no pleasing some critics.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    What makes me laugh about all this is that when Harrington won it last year he 'only won it because Tiger wasn't there' and therefore shouldn't be afforded the status of a true major winner.

This year Tiger was there alright but played such terrible golf that he didn't even make the cut. So Cink is just a sod laying chopper who 'took advantage of Tiger's early exit' and accordingly also shouldn't be afforded the status of a true major winner.

LOL - there's no pleasing some critics.
    Exactly right. Unless you go mano o mano with Tiger in the last group and come out in front, you can't really call yourself a true major champion. Chink is just a lucky bum who struck gold during a major where Tiger was having an off week.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Exactly right. Unless you go mano o mano with Tiger in the last group and come out in front, you can't really call yourself a true major champion. Chink is just a lucky bum who struck gold during a major where Tiger was having an off week.
    Bollocks!!

I saw nothing but heroic qualities in Watson this week, until I looked up his record in the Italian Open. Turns out that in his entire career, he's never been able to summon the fortitude to enter it.

Shame on you Tom Watson.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I saw nothing but heroic qualities in Watson this week, until I looked up his record in the Italian Open. Turns out that in his entire career, he's never been able to summon the fortitude to enter it.

Shame on you Tom Watson.
    It's as disgraceful as Kenny Perry, in my most humble opinion........

Thanks NaH. I watched almost the entire final round and I have to say Watson played great all the way until his 3rd shot on 18. His par putt was terrible too. Cink manned up for sure in the playoff.
    Good to see BJ is out of jail.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Brilliant point . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Please post on this board when, on the verge of your 60th birthday you are leading a major golf tournament, so we can all wish you well.

Face it; "The Open" is a quirky tournament in the universe of golf tournaments. For those who say it is the "only true test," let them hold that opinion. But there is definitely a different sort of skill set required vs. most tournaments, plus a generous contribution of good old fashioned dumb luck.
    when i turn 60, your old codger carcass will have long been chewed up by vermin.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

A 59 yr old man swings a club like a 30 yr old anybody that didn"t see that were not watching the same open as I was,get over yourselves I"m turning 50 in a couple of weeks and wish I could hit a ball like Tom Watson.You Tiger ever faithful followers are making more excuses than Tiger Woods made himselve after the cut.Get rid of Haney and Steve Williams,and yes the courses in north america needs deep unforgiving bunkers.I would love to see a play off one day between Daly and Woods.

Tom Watson looked like he needed a zimmer frame to get around the course. He swung like a rusty gate and putted like a spastic. The only time he looked at home was in the playoff when they got the carts out. But by then he had choked his arse off and turned it into the least dramatic playoff in major history.

Considering he hit nearly perfect approaches on the 17th and 18th during the final round. This old coot threw his 8iron 200 yds downwind. Could you really have thought to hit a 9iron from 187 if you were 59? His shots on 17 and 18 with that much pressure were near perfect. Too bad the old nerves didn't let him save par on that last putt... it would have been a much more historic Open. As it turns out it was just ehh?
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

That approach shot on 18 was nearly perfect, straight at the middle of the green. If it had just pulled up 10 feet shorter Tom Watson was your 2009 Open Champion.

The Flamers and trolls can spout whatever moronic nonsense they like but the fact is he played like a champion for 72 holes and was 1 shot away from an outright win. It was such a shame he couldn't get up and down from there.

Granted he played poorly in the playoff which was a shame but give the guy a break. Turning back the clock like that at age 59 was unforgettable and I for one wish he had made par on the 18th and won.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Doesn't the us open also bring unusual results/winners? How about the masters? Didn't Zach Johnson win his first tout event at the masters?

Cink is a solid steady player who plays without, or control of, his emotions.

With all the typical leaders dropping like rocks I have to question if there was steroids in golf. Maybe they banned beta blockers also?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Doesn't the us open also bring unusual results/winners? How about the masters? Didn't Zach Johnson win his first tout event at the masters?

Cink is a solid steady player who plays without, or control of, his emotions.

With all the typical leaders dropping like rocks I have to question if there was steroids in golf. Maybe they banned beta blockers also?

Well the Masters shouldn't have many terrible champions due to the field they invite. They only invite past winners, top 50 in the world ranking, major winners and top 10 finishers, and top amateurs. The only time a nobody wins the Masters is when one of the 40-50 in the world rankings has an unbelievably good week.

That approach shot on 18 was nearly perfect, straight at the middle of the green. If it had just pulled up 10 feet shorter Tom Watson was your 2009 Open Champion.

The Flamers and trolls can spout whatever moronic nonsense they like but the fact is he played like a champion for 72 holes and was 1 shot away from an outright win. It was such a shame he couldn't get up and down from there.

Granted he played poorly in the playoff which was a shame but give the guy a break. Turning back the clock like that at age 59 was unforgettable and I for one wish he had made par on the 18th and won.
    Absolutely. No one is as wise as an ignorant and arrogant "fan" on sports talk radio or an internet board. Criticizing someone who is 2 or 3 orders of magnitude better than yourself is a time proven way of boosting the fragile self esteem of the loser doing the criticizing........

Zach Johnson won the tournament at TPC Sugarloaf a few weeks before the Masters. Bellsouth classic was its name I think? Whatever tourny Imada won against Kenny Perry last year.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Zach Johnson won the tournament at TPC Sugarloaf a few weeks before the Masters. Bellsouth classic was its name I think? Whatever tourny Imada won against Kenny Perry last year.
    TPC at Sugarloaf is one of the better tracks on tour. I believe Greg Norman designed it and used Augusta as his inspiration. The players love that place.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Doesn't the us open also bring unusual results/winners?
    Absolutely. Even that Kiwi chopper Campbell won the US Open in 05.

Having said that he was leading The Open Championship after 3 rounds as a relatively young up and comer at 'the old course' in 1995.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Absolutely. Even that Kiwi chopper Campbell won the US Open in 05.

Having said that he was leading The Open Championship after 3 rounds as a relatively young up and comer at 'the old course' in 1995.
    Then choked his tits off in the last round.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    Well the Masters shouldn't have many terrible champions due to the field they invite. They only invite past winners, top 50 in the world ranking, major winners and top 10 finishers, and top amateurs. The only time a nobody wins the Masters is when one of the 40-50 in the world rankings has an unbelievably good week.
    They must have crossed the paths of a fw black cats, smashed a few mirrors, opened a few umbrellas inside, and killed quite a few chinamen then, as they are a current nobody streak of 3 running. And the last couple of runners up are ven bigger nobodies.

Face it Wiggle, the Masters is the weak link of the major roster. It's played on a weekend hacker course set up for shovel toting shortknocker sod laying choppers (last two champions played cast SGI CB POS hacker paddles), it isn't an open championship, and it has the most pathetic champions list you could ever imagine.

Then choked his tits off in the last round.

Yeah but he held off a charging Tiger to win the US Open which proves once and for all which one is the more chopperesque event.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yeah but he held off a charging Tiger to win the US Open which proves once and for all which one is the more chopperesque event.
    Tiger was hardly 'charging', and it was no big deal as Tiger has proven himself to be one of the all time great chokers when not holding the lead on Sunday in majors. He's a great front running bully but give him someone to chase and he folds like a cheap suit.

Tiger was hardly 'charging', and it was no big deal as Tiger has proven himself to be one of the all time great chokers when not holding the lead on Sunday in majors. He's a great front running bully but give him someone to chase and he folds like a cheap suit.
    Yeah but the way you usually tell is that Tiger's mere 'presence' on the leaderboard is enough to make most average players fold like said cheap suit.

On that day Campbell played brilliantly.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yeah but the way you usually tell is that Tiger's mere 'presence' on the leaderboard is enough to make most average players fold like said cheap suit.

On that day Campbell played brilliantly.
    No doubt about it. I couldn't imagine Sergio, Moobs, Norman or Monty clsoing the deal like Campbell did there. The problem for him is that he has been completely demotivated since then. I think it wa such a career defining achievement he has lost sight of the prize and feels like he has fulfilled his goals. A few major champions are in that boat. It all just shows how mentally tough Tiger is to keep his intensity and focus so strong even after all his major victories.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    No doubt about it. I couldn't imagine Sergio, Moobs, Norman or Monty clsoing the deal like Campbell did there. The problem for him is that he has been completely demotivated since then. I think it wa such a career defining achievement he has lost sight of the prize and feels like he has fulfilled his goals. A few major champions are in that boat. It all just shows how mentally tough Tiger is to keep his intensity and focus so strong even after all his major victories.
    I think Tiger's intensity partly comes from the fact that he knows that he can break Nicklaus' 18 major record.

Thread Information