|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Golf is NOT a real sport

Let's face it. Real sport requires, cardio vascular fitness, timing, reaction, reflexes, strength, speed and true athleticism. You need to be able to move quickly, run, sprint, react.

This is an OLD MANS game that true sportsmen take up when their bodies are getting too old, battered and unfit to play real sport. When their knees are getting dodgy, their back is aching and their shoulder hurts they turn to a sedate activity like strolling (or even riding) around a golf course.

Now I know all you lame a$$ apologists are going to tell me that the golf swing is 'an athletic movement' and requires timing and of course it does but what other sport can you name where you walk to the next shot, stand over it and take all the time in the world lining it up before you pull the trigger. Then walk to the next one.

Also look at all the fat, overweight slobs that you see on the professional tours. You don't see that in any other pro sport other than darts and billiards.

The fact that Tom Watson at age 59 nearly (should have) won The Open Championship proves my point. The Shark came close last year too. How many of you think that Bjorn Borg would make it to the final of Wimbledon if was given a wild card entry only to lose in a 5th set tie breaker? Not likely is it.

So for all the guys over 35 on this forum carry on enjoying this great pastime. For all the guys under 35 go and play some real sport while you are still young and fit enough.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Let's face it. Real sport requires, cardio vascular fitness, timing, reaction, reflexes, strength, speed and true athleticism. You need to be able to move quickly, run, sprint, react.

This is an OLD MANS game that true sportsmen take up when their bodies are getting too old, battered and unfit to play real sport. When their knees are getting dodgy, their back is aching and their shoulder hurts they turn to a sedate activity like strolling (or even riding) around a golf course.

Now I know all you lame a$$ apologists are going to tell me that the golf swing is 'an athletic movement' and requires timing and of course it does but what other sport can you name where you walk to the next shot, stand over it and take all the time in the world lining it up before you pull the trigger. Then walk to the next one.

Also look at all the fat, overweight slobs that you see on the professional tours. You don't see that in any other pro sport other than darts and billiards.

The fact that Tom Watson at age 59 nearly (should have) won The Open Championship proves my point. The Shark came close last year too. How many of you think that Bjorn Borg would make it to the final of Wimbledon if was given a wild card entry only to lose in a 5th set tie breaker? Not likely is it.

So for all the guys over 35 on this forum carry on enjoying this great pastime. For all the guys under 35 go and play some real sport while you are still young and fit enough.
    I totally agree with the billiards analogy. I'd also say it's pretty similar to bowling. If I had to liken it to anything athletic, the closest I could get is an NFL kicker...which we all know is not an athlete.

I've often wondered whether sport f.ucking was really a sport. Thanks to your definition, Kiwi, I now realize it clearly is. True, the running and sprinting come at the end, but it's still an essential component.
    GR lives...

Now if they timed the round and said you had to play 18 in less than 1 hour without a cart or you faced a 1 stroke penalty for every minute you were over 1 hour...then I could see the speed coming into play.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I've often wondered whether sport f.ucking was really a sport. Thanks to your definition, Kiwi, I now realize it clearly is. True, the running and sprinting come at the end, but it's still an essential component.
    Yes, it is a sport and I hold the record for the fastest time . . . . 1 minute and 23 seconds . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Golf may not be a true sport, unlike REAL sports like NASCAR and yacht racing.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I agree that golf is not a sport. The only people who adamantly consider golf a sport are the total fat fukcers who like to say they play a "sport."
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I agree that golf is not a sport. The only people who adamantly consider golf a sport are the total fat fukcers who like to say they play a "sport."
    Those participants play two sports -- golf and bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Golf may not be a true sport, unlike REAL sports like NASCAR and yacht racing.
    You ever tried sailing a laser or a hobbicat in a 30 knot breeze?

Yacht racing is definitely more athletic than golf.

Now where the f#ck am I?

There's nothing like piloting a laser. Unless the stern doors don't close when you slow down.
    GR lives...

OK, I'll grant you that one. But what about curling and synchronized skydiving? Surely they don't deserve all the exposure they get on the sports pages around the world.......

Pretty compelling arguement Kiwi.
    I think the words time consuming pastime or perhaps addiction would be a better description of the game.
    This could also be applied to Lorenzo's favorite sport. I can understand the running away component is often necessary, but could not be too difficult when one is full of fear induced adrenaline.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

True biathalon is screwing and running. Triathalon is hunting, screwing and running.
    GR lives...

Any activity I can do while I drink and smoke is not a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    Then I take it that you would agree that NASCAR isn't a sport.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    This would preclude a lot more sports than just golf. I used to play rugby with front rowers who ALWAYS had a pint or two of Guiness BEFORE kick off. We also had a flanker who only played well when he was stoned.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Pretty compelling arguement Kiwi.
    I think the words time consuming pastime or perhaps addiction would be a better description of the game.
    This could also be applied to Lorenzo's favorite sport. I can understand the running away component is often necessary, but could not be too difficult when one is full of fear induced adrenaline.
    You have to run away when you didn't get consent.
    Clearly the rules don't apply in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Yes, it is a sport and I hold the record for the fastest time . . . . 1 minute and 23 seconds . . .
    You're obviously including fore play in that time. Maybe even dinner and a bottle of wine.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Then I take it that you would agree that NASCAR isn't a sport.......
    For different reasons I would agree that NASCAR is not a sport. Mostly because I feel that what I do on my way to work everyday isn't a sport either.

Walk 18 and carry your own bag on the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and tell me that does not require some conditioning and athleticism.
    Hi Bore 9.5
    Callaway Steelhead III 3W
    MP-32 3-PW
    MP-R 52, 56, 60
    Never Compromise GM2 Exchange #4

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    You're obviously including fore play in that time. Maybe even dinner and a bottle of wine.
    But of course . . . .

Golf is not a sport, but it does have some atheletic attributes. If you are in better shape, you are more likely to have a better swing or the potential for a better swing. More physical power and flexiblity means increased yardage and distance control. Lugging a bag for 18 holes needs some endurance because I know a lot of people who cannot or will not do that.

At the same time, I have chugged stout and smoked a cigar, so in the end, it is not a sport.

I
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    But of course . . . .
    Women just don't appreciate the small window of time we have during the half time break for romance. On top of raidng the fridge for a snack, loading the beers to make sure there are enough coldies to last the second half, and texting your mates to gloat when your team is beating theirs, 2 minutes is about all you can spare.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Women just don't appreciate the small window of time we have during the half time break for romance. On top of raidng the fridge for a snack, loading the beers to make sure there are enough coldies to last the second half, and texting your mates to gloat when your team is beating theirs, 2 minutes is about all you can spare.
    I hate to point this out to an Aussie, but she should be getting the snack, the beers and working you from a bent knee position, all in advance of half-time.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I hate to point this out to an Aussie, but she should be getting the snack, the beers and working you from a bent knee position, all in advance of half-time.
    That level of service disappears about the same time the ring appears on their finger in this country.

Not a Sport...
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

That level of service disappears about the same time the ring appears on their finger in this country.
    I only know one guy who seems to have pulled it off here. And his wife is hot inside and out. By hot inside I'm not talking physically. I wouldn't know about that.
    GR lives...

Thread Information