|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Anybody Remember the Old Graphite Headed Driver?

Remember back in the 80s and 90s the old Yonex drivers with the graphite heads? I actually had one for a year and then I wisely got rid of it. It is embarrassing for me to admit this but for some reason it is part of the process of excising my inner demons.

I was watching the Championship tour play on Golf Channel and saw a coal black driver somebody was using and had a flashback . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I've been playing golf since about 1993, but I didn't get into the equipment side of things until probably 1997. I do remember the first big golf purchase I made and being totally geeked to have a club that didn't come from a box set. TM Firesole driver with the bubble shaft. Shortly thereafter I bought Titleist DCI irons and a copper berrilium Cleveland wedge. Those were all good clubs.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I saw one of those Yonex Graphite drivers in a used club bin at my local Golf Galaxy last fall. It ws for sale for 7 bucks. I demoed it, and after one decent swing, I decided to put it back. It is a total POS..

The large driving range and batting cage complex has default rubber or plastic driver heads for people who dont have clubs. One was lying in a stall next to me one evening and I decided why the hell not and teed one up. The face caved and the ball did a 270 degree curve pattern in the air.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Lest we forget the other great Taylormade Gag at the time...IngerGel balls. Since they were in plastic cases, they did not "degenerate" like other golf balls. Since they had gel in them instead of rubber, they had "more touch." They might have been the shortest balls I ever hit. It totally bought into that BS hook line and sinker then. Damn you Gary McCord!
    WitB 2010:

Other clubs:

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    Lest we forget the other great Taylormade Gag at the time...IngerGel balls. Since they were in plastic cases, they did not "degenerate" like other golf balls. Since they had gel in them instead of rubber, they had "more touch." They might have been the shortest balls I ever hit. It totally bought into that BS hook line and sinker then. Damn you Gary McCord!
    My favorite gimmick was the Purespin Driver. It had diamonds chemically bonded to titanium. What's harder than titanium? Titanium with diamonds glued to it.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    My favorite gimmick was the Purespin Driver. It had diamonds chemically bonded to titanium. What's harder than titanium? Titanium with diamonds glued to it.
    My ex-wife.
    GR lives...

I had one of those Top Flite Lee Trevino drivers, must have been '93-'94, the one with the serial number in a metal band just under the grip. It was 10.5 deg with 45" stiff graphite shaft and it would go like hell. I won a long drive contest in a bankers'n lawyers scramble ( I was and am not either)--280 into a good breeze. The prize was a dozen Slazengers, back when they were premium balls. Gave it to my son who beat the feces out of the face 'til it collapsed and then, having moved into the exalted realm of the 975 family of Tits, gave him those hand-me-downs. Trevino was featured on the cover a a golf magazine when this driver was the Topflite flagship big stick with the headline "Aim left, swing right, walk down the middle". What a great tip when things go awry off the tee. Some years later I busted his chops at a Senior Tour event while he was waiting on a par 4 tee with the the sneaky long Joe Inman and the at-the-present-time being railroaded by the IRS and screwed by the tour Jim Thorpe.

What about those shafts that were half steel, half graphite? Never caught on for some reason.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Adams had a whole series of irons and woods with them.
    WitB 2010:

Other clubs:

What's harder than titanium? .
    Tiger at IHOP?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

What's harder than titanium?
    Michael Jordan in a pillow fight with nuns?
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    Adams had a whole series of irons and woods with them.
    As did the Maxfli Revolution driver.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Sooner, having a Yonex graphite headed driver, but I've got you covered. I actually had a Yonex grapihte headed driver knock off. Man that was a bad club, but compared to the crap around at the time it wasn't as bad as it seems now.

I also got a box of the inner gel balls, the ones that were supposed to retain their length because of the plastic sleeve ( apparently balls could loose up to 6 yards sitting on the shelf.. Worst balls ever. Best hype and marketing canmpaign ever, but worst product. The only other ball I hit that was nearly as bad was a Spalding Tour edition ball that were used by norman in the 80s. But I got mine in the 90s from the local pro who told me they were good balls. My fault for trusting a golf shop pro I suppose.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Yep, I fell for that one, and the Purespin wedges, too. I fell for a lot of crap when I was first getting back into golf. The idea of a magic piece of equipment that will nullify all of a person's swing flaws and allow great results despite a lousy swing is the same motivator that is behind all sucker deals; "something for nothing."
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I can beat you all

I purchased a Callaway C4 Driver and an ERC II

One of them was a good driver.......................

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Yep, I fell for that one, and the Purespin wedges, too. I fell for a lot of crap when I was first getting back into golf. The idea of a magic piece of equipment that will nullify all of a person's swing flaws and allow great results despite a lousy swing is the same motivator that is behind all sucker deals; "something for nothing."
    I've got an embarrassing collection of training aids from when I first started playing. The piece d' resistance being a Leadbetter Swingsetter. They do make excellent dust gatherers/ garage space takers.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I've got an embarrassing collection of training aids from when I first started playing. The piece d' resistance being a Leadbetter Swingsetter. They do make excellent dust gatherers/ garage space takers.
    You are a true man for having the guts to confess to this.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    You are a true man for having the guts to confess to this.
    Especially in the wake of Larry's endorsement of said product.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    I can beat you all

I purchased a Callaway C4 Driver and an ERC II

One of them was a good driver.......................

Edgey
    i gave a lesson to someone today with a C4 driver... it was their first lesson and i was showing them what i wanted them to do so i hit his club, a demonstration shot on different curvature... i almost laughed after impact... lol....

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    A friend of mine still has a graphite headed 5 wood. Made by a company called Yasuda IIRC. I remember that ceramic headed drivers enjoyed a bit of popularity round my way in the late 90s. Their premise was that the material was so hard that they did not deform in any way, thus transferring all the energy to the ball for truly awsome distance off the tee. Of course it was all bollocks. They were no longer than the GBB I had at the time.

it was before my time, but wasn't there a kevlar driver or something of that nature... JD used on i think to win the PGA, i wanna say it was made by wilson, or cobra, but im not 100% sure....

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    it was before my time, but wasn't there a kevlar driver or something of that nature... JD used on i think to win the PGA, i wanna say it was made by wilson, or cobra, but im not 100% sure....
    Yes, you are correct. I cannot remember who put it out, but it was around the same time as the graphite heads.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Yes, you are correct. I cannot remember who put it out, but it was around the same time as the graphite heads.
    i would like feel and hear what impact was like with one of those... lol... probably not too desirable...

Mizuno made some fairly decent graphite headed drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids not that long ago. I had some of them, and they really placed decently. The crowns were really easy to scratch, though.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information