|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Calf muscles and golf

Hi

Following the return of Spank i feel we need to discuss the impact having (or not having) huge, manly calf muscles has on your golf game.

I have very undefined non-descript calf muscles and i suspect this is holding me back from attaining single figure status again.

I throw this open to the membership should i start weight lifting or live with my imperfections

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I find that overweight guys who walk alot have great calf muscles.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Hi

Following the return of Spank i feel we need to discuss the impact having (or not having) huge, manly calf muscles has on your golf game.

I have very undefined non-descript calf muscles and i suspect this is holding me back from attaining single figure status again.

I throw this open to the membership should i start weight lifting or live with my imperfections

Edgey
    You're British...of course you have pasty white chicken legs. I would say the hamstrings and quads would be more important leg muscles than calves. The hip flexors are likely more important too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    I find that overweight guys who walk alot have great calf muscles.
    As do a lot of fat birds, doesnt mean i would want to f uck em though

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    You're British...of course you have pasty white chicken legs. I would say the hamstrings and quads would be more important leg muscles than calves. The hip flexors are likely more important too.
    I can assure you i have butch manly deeply tanned "Oi, you just spilled my pint, outside now!" legs

If you had been here for more than 5 mins you would of course know that on GR calf muscles are the most important factor in good golf, Spank spoke.

Edgey

I can assure you i have butch manly deeply tanned "Oi, you just spilled my pint, outside now!" legs

If you had been here for more than 5 mins you would of course know that on GR calf muscles are the most important factor in good golf, Spank spoke.

Edgey
    Oh I'm well aware of your obsession with Spank's calves. I have yet to meet a Brit with anything other than white pasty chicken legs.

Oh I'm well aware of your obsession with Spank's calves. I have yet to meet a Brit with anything other than white pasty chicken legs.
    I will wager the most exotic person you have ever met is toothless Cleetus who probably did a "Beatty" on your ass

"Squeal like a pig boy"

Now i know you heard those words before BIATCH

Edgey

I will wager the most exotic person you have ever met is toothless Cleetus who probably did a "Beatty" on your ass

"Squeal like a pig boy"

Now i know you heard those words before BIATCH

Edgey

LOL at you referring to British people as exotic!!! You just OWNED yourself!!!!

LOL at you referring to British people as exotic!!! You just OWNED yourself!!!!
    Weak Wiggle, very weak.

You are very dissapointing on occasions.

Edgey

Weak Wiggle, very weak.

You are very dissapointing on occasions.

Edgey
    Accept your OWNAGE like a man.

It's odd how most threads on this forum start in the gutter, and then follow the path of least resistance as they trickle their way further into the depths of depravity.
    Damned rain, I have been planning but unable to play my first round since I reworked my "swing".
    Maybe tomorrow, weather and calves allowing. Calves...calfs?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJeff
    It's odd how most threads on this forum start in the gutter, and then follow the path of least resistance as they trickle their way further into the depths of depravity.
    Damned rain, I have been planning but unable to play my first round since I reworked my "swing".
    Maybe tomorrow, weather and calves allowing. Calves...calfs?
    Re-worked your swing? Did you move your swing bottom forward?

I put swing in quotations because prior to my recent changes I was a completely clueless hacker who was in no way able to make a repeating swing. Now, I am doing much better and am hoping to break 100 for the first time. When I make a good swing nowadays my divot is slightly ahead of the ball, maybe 1/2 inch. As you can see I have lots of work to do. Looks like I may catch a break and be able to play 18 tomorrow. I'll post a report when it happens.

I put swing in quotations because prior to my recent changes I was a completely clueless hacker who was in no way able to make a repeating swing. Now, I am doing much better and am hoping to break 100 for the first time. When I make a good swing nowadays my divot is slightly ahead of the ball, maybe 1/2 inch. As you can see I have lots of work to do. Looks like I may catch a break and be able to play 18 tomorrow. I'll post a report when it happens.
    Have you read "The Impact Zone", by Bobby Clampett. Some on here ridicule the work, but it is with out a doubt the finest instructional golf book ever written. It shows you how to move the swing bottom forward and starts with you putting, then your chipping, then pitch shots, then full shots. Goes into swing path, the mental aspects of executing the swing, and how equipment can effect your swing dynamics.

Calf muscles are without doubt the most important muscles in golf.

Edgey I think you will need to post a picture of your calves in order to silence M3W.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

No, the only book I have looked at is Hogans, and I have only looked at the section about the grip. I don't want to bog myself down with to many thoughts. I did use his instruction to check my grip and think I will leave it at that. That and the lesson I took gave me enough knowledge to know what I am doing, and what to work on.

I am working on balance, starting my swing with hip rotation, maintaining the V on takeaway, rotating the shoulders when the toe is pointing up, and getting my weight back forward to begin the downswing. Of all of these the weight transfer was the hardest to get down. Those were the biggest faults of my swing and I am pretty sure I had a rather nasty reverse pivot. When I get ready to work on my swing further I will probably be working to get flatter at the top and will need video to analyze things. One step at a time though heh.

The other thing I try to do is a nice slow takeaway, where I used to be real quick and jerky.
    I'm at the point where I can do it without thinking too much, I practice everyday even if it's just in the living room taking practice swings.
    We will see how it goes wish me luck.

No, the only book I have looked at is Hogans, and I have only looked at the section about the grip. I don't want to bog myself down with to many thoughts. I did use his instruction to check my grip and think I will leave it at that. That and the lesson I took gave me enough knowledge to know what I am doing, and what to work on.

I am working on balance, starting my swing with hip rotation, maintaining the V on takeaway, rotating the shoulders when the toe is pointing up, and getting my weight back forward to begin the downswing. Of all of these the weight transfer was the hardest to get down. Those were the biggest faults of my swing and I am pretty sure I had a rather nasty reverse pivot. When I get ready to work on my swing further I will probably be working to get flatter at the top and will need video to analyze things. One step at a time though heh.

The other thing I try to do is a nice slow takeaway, where I used to be real quick and jerky.
    I'm at the point where I can do it without thinking too much, I practice everyday even if it's just in the living room taking practice swings.
    Clampett makes very clear dilineation between swing style and swing dynamics. Basically he says it doesn't matter what your swing looks like as long as you're in the right places around impact. Be careful that you don't sacrifice substance for style. I wish I had found this book when I first started playing golf. I intend to teach my son to play with this method. Putter back through driver and the 5 key swing dynamics.

I may check it out wiggle.

I think you have plenty to work on TJ. Don't overload your mind with too much over analysis.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Clampett makes very clear dilineation between swing style and swing dynamics. Basically he says it doesn't matter what your swing looks like as long as you're in the right places around impact. Be careful that you don't sacrifice substance for style. I wish I had found this book when I first started playing golf. I intend to teach my son to play with this method. Putter back through driver and the 5 key swing dynamics.
    TexasJeff,
    I hate to say it, but again Wiggles is right. Everything else in the swing is worthless if you cant figure out what should be going on at impact. Figure out the optimal impact first, and then make other setup and swing adjustments based on how easily you can get to your optimal impact.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    TexasJeff,
    I hate to say it, but again Wiggles is right. Everything else in the swing is worthless if you cant figure out what should be going on at impact. Figure out the optimal impact first, and then make other setup and swing adjustments based on how easily you can get to your optimal impact.
    Every once in awhile a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Calf muscles are without doubt the most important muscles in golf.

Edgey I think you will need to post a picture of your calves in order to silence M3W.
    Cleetus is a piss poor opponent. You get into a good slanging match and he shouts OWNED.

At least when Cleetus was Omen you could get into a good row. Cleetus is one dimensional and frankly dull

Edgey

Cleetus is a piss poor opponent. You get into a good slanging match and he shouts OWNED.

At least when Cleetus was Omen you could get into a good row. Cleetus is one dimensional and frankly dull

Edgey
    The moment you threw British people into the "exotic" lot, you ruined this conversation. Then you further dulled it down with a description of your Deliverance fantasies.

Have you read "The Impact Zone", by Bobby Clampett. Some on here ridicule the work, but it is with out a doubt the finest instructional golf book ever written. It shows you how to move the swing bottom forward and starts with you putting, then your chipping, then pitch shots, then full shots. Goes into swing path, the mental aspects of executing the swing, and how equipment can effect your swing dynamics.
    Can you quit already with this float loading rubbish? you're taken up valuable forum space.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Can you quit already with this float loading rubbish? you're taken up valuable forum space.
    No need to be bitter just because my swing bottom is farther forward than yours.

No need to be bitter just because my swing bottom is farther forward than yours.
    How do you know that? Have you seen my bottom?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    How do you know that? Have you seen my bottom?
    I would imagine your swing bottom is somewhere in the vicinity of 3 to 4 iches behind the golf ball.

The moment you threw British people into the "exotic" lot, you ruined this conversation. Then you further dulled it down with a description of your Deliverance fantasies.
    Listen in Squeal biatch

Re read my thread numpty nuts and you will find no mention of exotic and Brits in the same sentence (I would NEVER describe Brits as exotic you prick).

When you have been owned you resort to cheap misquotes which are beneath you.

Man up and grow a pair

Edgey

I don't want to bog myself down with to many thoughts....

I am (1)working on balance, (2)starting my swing with hip rotation, (3) maintaining the V on takeaway, (4)rotating the shoulders when the toe is pointing up, and (5) getting my weight back forward to begin the downswing.
    Jeeze, there's enough swing thoughts to choke Camp Edgey.

Sounds like your working on the same stuff legendary LarryRSF, may he rest in peace, demonstrated in his slow motion Thai Chi golf video. Hopefully you had a chance to witness that masterpiece before he removed it.

We should take up a collection and offer Mr. Larry a sum of money if he'll re-post it on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Jeeze, there's enough swing thoughts to choke Camp Edgey.

Sounds like your working on the same stuff legendary LarryRSF, may he rest in peace, demonstrated in his slow motion Thai Chi golf video. Hopefully you had a chance to witness that masterpiece before he removed it.

We should take up a collection and offer Mr. Larry a sum of money if he'll re-post it on YouTube.
    Word has it Larry has given up golf and is working full time on discrediting Obama's birth certificate. He posted slo mo tai chi video of himself typing a bunch of crap the other day.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Word has it Larry has given up golf and is working full time on discrediting Obama's birth certificate. He posted slo mo tai chi video of himself typing a bunch of crap the other day.
    For the record Obama presented a "Certificate of Live Birth" not a "Birth Certificate". One says you were born, to whom, and where. The other just says your were born. Not to give credence to Larry's nonsense, but there is a large population of Americans that would like to see the actual "Birth Certificate" and also see a full investigation into the hospital in Africa that claims Obama was born there and then flown to Hawaii for registration. It does seem to be nonsense, but since it is a primary requirement to hold the office of the president it seems like something a person with nothing to hide would just give into. It's like the Lebron getting dunked on video...it wasn't a big deal until they tried to hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    This cracks me up.

On a side note. My Dad was buying into this birth certificate crap for a while, then he went to update his license and passport. They told him that the birth certificate hes had since he was born wasn't good enough, and he couldn't easily prove that the certificate was legit because the military hospital had closed down (in the USA). I took like 8 weeks for him get his birth records straight. I would imagine much of the country would not meet Larry's standards for citizenship.

Poe is right, TJ . That's too many swing thoughts, already. Hogan's chapter on the grip is good, but his other 500 fundamentals can be confusing. M3W has a point. The Clampett book is simple and has some good info in it. It's not really a "swing method" per se, but it has some good drills and swing thoughts.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Poe is right, TJ . That's too many swing thoughts, already. Hogan's chapter on the grip is good, but his other 500 fundamentals can be confusing. M3W has a point. The Clampett book is simple and has some good info in it. It's not really a "swing method" per se, but it has some good drills and swing thoughts.
    Hogan's book is great and all, but I remember reading when I was a kid and had only been playing a short while. It didn't really help me all that much. Maybe I was too young to really grasp the info or just too inexperienced in golf at the time. To this day I consider his book to be more advanced golf instruction than some of the other popular books out there. Let's face it, Hogan wasn't about catering anything to the masses. He was a bitter man who battled a hook for 30 years...then he pounded that hook into submission by hitting about a million range balls. Everyone thought the old man had discovered the secret to golf because he went from a duck hooker to a machine-like power fader, but I attribute most of it to his psychotic devotion to golf.

Yea I was hitting my irons pretty well yesterday, but was blocking the 3w to the right every shot. I think I am beginning my downswing to early and failing to square my shoulders at impact. They are open and thus the ball goes right.
    The rain is relegating me to the range, never seen so much rain in Dallas this time of year. It's been raining for days and will be for at least the next week.

Yea I was hitting my irons pretty well yesterday, but was blocking the 3w to the right every shot. I think I am beginning my downswing to early and failing to square my shoulders at impact. They are open and thus the ball goes right.
    The rain is relegating me to the range, never seen so much rain in Dallas this time of year. It's been raining for days and will be for at least the next week.
    TJ, in all honesty, 'how to play your best golf all the time' by Tommy Armour is something you should look at (I started a thread on it). After just skimming through the highlighted stuff I had my best score in 6 months and best ball striking round im recent memory. I would have shot lower but I was hitting them so well I flew four greens, all straight over the flag. It is a very simple and easy to understand book which concentrates on a few basic principles, and doesn't get into shoulder angles and that sort of confusing crap. According to Armour, the few things he teaches automatically correct all that other stuff if you get them down. The stuff Hogan craps on about is just confusing and meaningless. Armour explains how to use very simple footwork, grip, stance and hand techniques to make hitting solid shots easy and repeatable. The swing thought of whipping your right hand into the shot at impact has been an instant cure for lots of the funky stuff I had going on in the hitting zone that was hard to repeat, and my consitency of strike, and the flight of the ball off the club, has never been better.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 08-02-2009 at 08:13 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Yea I just started a thread about the right arm and the downswing.
    Now that I am happy with my takeaway I am focusing on keeping my head from going up or down and it seems keeping the right arm a bit closer to the body. I still am pretty bad but I am leagues ahead of where I was at the start of the year.

Yea I just started a thread about the right arm and the downswing.
    Now that I am happy with my takeaway I am focusing on keeping my head from going up or down and it seems keeping the right arm a bit closer to the body. I still am pretty bad but I am leagues ahead of where I was at the start of the year.
    Keeping the head steady was another key thing Armour talks about in his book. He says it's crucial. Any movement of the head up or down is a swing killer.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 08-03-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information