|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Swing Speed, Ball Speed, and Carry Distance Display on the Golf Channel

Pretty cool stuff. I was watching a bit of the replayed action from Firestone last night on the golf channel. After each tee shot they displayed the clubhead speed, ball speed, and carry distance. On the last hole, Tiger had 115 chs, 177 ball speed, and a carry distance of 305 yards. They should have this feature on all golf broadcasts.

Assuming that the device used on the Golf Channel is accurate, it points out the absurdity of people who claim that they have a 125 - 130 mph swing speed. I've read their posts on other boards, particularly Bombsquad (I rarely go there any more).
    The pros typically have driver swingspeeds between 110 and 120 mph.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Assuming that the device used on the Golf Channel is accurate, it points out the absurdity of people who claim that they have a 125 - 130 mph swing speed. I've read their posts on other boards, particularly Bombsquad (I rarely go there any more).
    The pros typically have driver swingspeeds between 110 and 120 mph.
    Yeah that is clearly not the case. Clubhead speed of 120+mph is definitely very high in terms of PGA Tour standards. A 300 yard drive (including roll) can be produced with a 100-105mph swing...given that all the other conditions are right.

Tiger wasn't giving that one the gas either, his trackman stats with driver are normally low to mid 120's.

100-105 MPH should give a 250-260 carry. Fairway conditions at tour events however can easily give you 30-40 yards of roll. Try getting those same numbers at your local course and you won't come close to breaking 3 bills.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

i just got fit by TM for a driver on their MATT system so... my numbers were

SS: 116mph
    BS: 174mph
    Spin: 2200rpm
    LA: 13.3*
    Carry: 289yds
    Tot Dist: 312yds

OK...OK.... lets be real... the MATT system or ANY system at Golf Galaxy or the likes is a marketing tơol, it's not meant to be accurate... It should be used as a reference point , i.e. club A is better than the rest, If you believe in the carry and total distance then you are in for a BIG surprise. I don't know its system and math model that it uses , but in principle it takes the club head's speed and multiplies by a 2.5 factor to ESTIMATE your total distance. Lower side spin would make a ball goes straighter , but less lift for hang time , so those factors would almost cancel out ... How is that for science in golf ... hahaha

Yeah, these systems at stores can be wildly off. I remember trying one at the local Golfsmith, and they were way off in the other direction. I took my current driver into the store to compare with a couple of clubs I was considering, and the results were about 40-60 yards LESS than I would typically get on even average drives. I'd expect that they would usually be calibrated the other way; to give overly optimistic results to flatter potential buyers. All I learned is that the numbers were obviously bogus. Since they were so far off, I wasn't sure they would even be helpful for determining relative differences between clubs. Garbage in, garbage out.....

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Same with those indoor ranges, some of those numbers seem a little off, a few years ago I was getting some lessons for my short game, I walk in, theres a bunch of different equipment reps from nike, I say is this a bad time, to the senior instructor? of course he says no, just go warm up in the simulator. A few minutes later he comes by and says, step on the gas, I say, you mean move my @ss? I was hitting into that screen so hard I was getting pelted by my balls. That thing was claiming 114 124 mph swing speeds, that I aint got.Though lately i,ve been hitting some near 180 yard seven irons shots.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    OK...OK.... lets be real... the MATT system or ANY system at Golf Galaxy or the likes is a marketing tơol, it's not meant to be accurate... It should be used as a reference point , i.e. club A is better than the rest, If you believe in the carry and total distance then you are in for a BIG surprise. I don't know its system and math model that it uses , but in principle it takes the club head's speed and multiplies by a 2.5 factor to ESTIMATE your total distance. Lower side spin would make a ball goes straighter , but less lift for hang time , so those factors would almost cancel out ... How is that for science in golf ... hahaha
    HEY MORON!!! i went to the same TM performance lab that all TM's players use... IT'S AT THE TM FACILITY NOT SOME RETAIL SUPERSTORE... MATT is Motion Analysis Technology by Taylormade, it records your swing and put's it in a 3d model... it reads things like shoulder turn, hip turn, angle of attack, hand speed, hand rotation, club head speedand other swing variables... then to back up that data they use trackman... ITS NOT A FREAKIN SIMULATOR... the MATT system is as accurate as it gets, they scrutinize over every little detail and have have multiple checks in the system to insure there is no false data...

so next time make sure you know what your talking about before you make idotic claims...

and if you don't believe my numbers come to NC and i'll play some golf with you, and then you can tell me how far i hit it...

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Yeah, these systems at stores can be wildly off. I remember trying one at the local Golfsmith, and they were way off in the other direction. I took my current driver into the store to compare with a couple of clubs I was considering, and the results were about 40-60 yards LESS than I would typically get on even average drives. I'd expect that they would usually be calibrated the other way; to give overly optimistic results to flatter potential buyers. All I learned is that the numbers were obviously bogus. Since they were so far off, I wasn't sure they would even be helpful for determining relative differences between clubs. Garbage in, garbage out.....
    Another trick they use is to crank up the "wind" on the simulators so you get more distance and it corresponds to adding more roll and so forth when the computer is calculating.

I think the acceleration through impact is much more important in terms of carry distance than anything else. In my understanding someone who has a constant clubhead speed of around 130 mph won't hit the ball as far as someone who comes into the ball at 120 mph and then accelerates to 130 mph through impact (compression). The more you can accelerate during compression the more rebound energy you can create. Mike Austin had probably the fastest swing speed ever @ 150 mph and he could accelerate to about 155 through impact. You have to be an unnatural beast with a 3 foot dong to even come close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    HEY MORON!!! i went to the same TM performance lab that all TM's players use... IT'S AT THE TM FACILITY NOT SOME RETAIL SUPERSTORE... MATT is Motion Analysis Technology by Taylormade, it records your swing and put's it in a 3d model... it reads things like shoulder turn, hip turn, angle of attack, hand speed, hand rotation, club head speedand other swing variables... then to back up that data they use trackman... ITS NOT A FREAKIN SIMULATOR... the MATT system is as accurate as it gets, they scrutinize over every little detail and have have multiple checks in the system to insure there is no false data...

so next time make sure you know what your talking about before you make idotic claims...

and if you don't believe my numbers come to NC and i'll play some golf with you, and then you can tell me how far i hit it...
    Ok...OK... tell me where you went to school so that I don't send my kids to that stupid college... The way you think and behave I don't believe that you went to any college, if you did, my golf simulator predicted that you were at the bottom of your class, isn't that right? With your attitude, you should not be allowed on any golf course, let alone a par-3 executive course

Ok...OK... tell me where you went to school so that I don't send my kids to that stupid college... The way you think and behave I don't believe that you went to any college, if you did, my golf simulator predicted that you were at the bottom of your class, isn't that right? With your attitude, you should not be allowed on any golf course, let alone a par-3 executive course
    you took a direct stab at me and my numbers i defended myself with facts... that not a bad attitude... as for not allowed anywhere near a course, well thell that to the PGA of America, cause they sure did let me in... talk to any of my students i teach i'm sure they'll all tell you the same; that i have great respect for the game and have earned my place where i am... i may be young but yes i am a profesional golfer... so again dont believe me come and give it a go, i would play you for money but since i am a profesional and you are not its not allowed... goood day to you sir though...

hmm... also im 19 so i'm still in college...

you took a direct stab at me and my numbers i defended myself with facts... that not a bad attitude... as for not allowed anywhere near a course, well thell that to the PGA of America, cause they sure did let me in... talk to any of my students i teach i'm sure they'll all tell you the same; that i have great respect for the game and have earned my place where i am... i may be young but yes i am a profesional golfer... so again dont believe me come and give it a go, i would play you for money but since i am a profesional and you are not its not allowed... goood day to you sir though...

I knew a teaching pro barely able to pass the PAT. He finally did it (barely made the cut). When I was 19 he was 23 asking me for advice and pointers on how to play the game. I found it rather humorous. The pros I pal around with now are actually good players, as most are. I played in a pro am with one pro who shot an 88. I shot a 2 under 70. That's gotta be embarrassing.

Only a poor attitude or unqualified PGA player would defend himself , if you are truly 19 then you still have a lot of growing up to do ... Remember that I discussed the marketing technique of the golf simulator, nothing about your numbers... and I don't give a damn about your numbers, young man... and you call yourself a professional? My son is a 2nd year law student in the top 20 in USA and he's not considered himself a professional ... yet... let alone your chance of becoming a PGA tour player is almost nil... but gơơd luck to you anyway... *_*

Only a poor attitude or unqualified PGA player would defend himself , if you are truly 19 then you still have a lot of growing up to do ... Remember that I discussed the marketing technique of the golf simulator, nothing about your numbers... and I don't give a damn about your numbers, young man... and you call yourself a professional? My son is a 2nd year law student in the top 20 in USA and he's not considered himself a professional ... yet... let alone your chance of becoming a PGA tour player is almost nil... but gơơd luck to you anyway... *_*
    its not a matter a of if i consider myself a pro... the USGA considers me a pro... its not like i just decided one day... "hey i'm a pro now"... i passed my PAT (very easy to do CG i agree), got my books, passed the written work (still in the process of becoming class A) and here i am a teaching pro now...

you simply don't understand the system...

as for the stab at me i would say when someone says "the MATT system or ANY system at Golf Galaxy or the likes is a marketing tơol, it's not meant to be accurate..." right after i talked about my MATT trip... how else would anyone take that... (BTW you obviously still have no clue about LM vs Sim's but w/e)

and also... maybe i defend myself b/c i don't like to get stepped on by people who think they know everything... i know very little in the grand scheme of things and am learning soo much... but per your coments you know nothing in regards to golf.... do some research then talk to me....

its not a matter a of if i consider myself a pro... the USGA considers me a pro... its not like i just decided one day... "hey i'm a pro now"... i passed my PAT (very easy to do CG i agree), got my books, passed the written work (still in the process of becoming class A) and here i am a teaching pro now...

as for the stab at me i would say when someone says "the MATT system or ANY system at Golf Galaxy or the likes is a marketing tơol, it's not meant to be accurate..." right after i talked about my MATT trip... how else would anyone take that... (BTW you obviously still have no clue about LM vs Sim's but w/e)

and also... maybe i defend myself b/c i don't like to get stepped on by people who think they know everything... i know very little in the grand scheme of things and am learning soo much... but per your coments you know nothing in regards to golf.... do some research then talk to me....
    As expected... this is what I expect a 19-yr old kid would behave..... hahahaha

As expected... this is what I expect a 19-yr old kid would behave..... hahahaha
    I wouldn't have expected a 19 year old to thump you so soundly with nothing more than plain logic. You just got owned like Kunta Kinte. Turn in your trolling badge at the next depot. That is all. Carry on.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

There is a HUGE difference between being a USGA "pro" and a PGA Tour Pro. Being a "pro" means you have a very good knowledge of golf, and are a far better than average player. You had to qualify by playing rounds on a course and posting good scores. Getting on the PGA Tour is another quantum leap of difficulty, and is another thing entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I wouldn't have expected a 19 year old to thump you so soundly with nothing more than plain logic. You just got owned like Kunta Kinte. Turn in your trolling badge at the next depot. That is all. Carry on.
    Pkwy6471, I've never seen Pingman360 own anyone. Until now.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    hưưưmmm ... interesting thought *_* Thanks for the warning

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I'd have to agree. Pingman had every right to own someone talking about stuff they have no clue about.

As to the comment concerning PGA Golf Pro vs. Tour Pro. There is no comparison. To make the PGA Tour it's infinitely more difficult than becoming a teaching pro. In the next year or two I am going to take the PAT and go for my teaching pro certificate. Piece of cake if you have money for the program/books. I've just been enjoying amateur tournaments a lot the last few years but they're starting to get old. Good time for a change in the next couple of years becoming a pro so I can make some extra spending money with lessons and place as a pro in some pro-ams. Watching an acquaintance on the Nationwide (where he's doing very well) try to make it to Tour...VERY difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    I'd have to agree. Pingman had every right to own someone talking about stuff they have no clue about.

As to the comment concerning PGA Golf Pro vs. Tour Pro. There is no comparison. To make the PGA Tour it's infinitely more difficult than becoming a teaching pro. In the next year or two I am going to take the PAT and go for my teaching pro certificate. Piece of cake if you have money for the program/books. I've just been enjoying amateur tournaments a lot the last few years but they're starting to get old. Good time for a change in the next couple of years becoming a pro so I can make some extra spending money with lessons and place as a pro in some pro-ams. Watching an acquaintance on the Nationwide (where he's doing very well) try to make it to Tour...VERY difficult.
    yeah.. no doubt being a teaching pro doesn't mean that you are at the same level of playing ability as a Tour player... that being said SOME instructors are close to being a tour player but most are no where close...

i think we all WANT to be at that level but when you take up instruction you give away a lot of your time to practice... so it makes it even harder to make it to the tour... teaching is a blast though and its great to see your students progress, playing on tour is a whole separate animal... and one i can't comment on since ive never been there...

Pky6471 I'm surprised you weren't aware that Pingman is a very accomplished golfer and very knowledgeable on the subject.

You should never have questioned him on this. The only subjects that Pingman is willing to debate freely and openly are evolution and gay rights.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Pky6471 I'm surprised you weren't aware that Pingman is a very accomplished golfer and very knowledgeable on the subject.

You should never have questioned him on this. The only subjects that Pingman is willing to debate freely and openly are evolution and gay rights.
    To be clear, I only questioned the validity and output of ANY golf simulator just like I question the intelligence of several PhDs in my group. One of my technicians used to be a true scratch golfer who played in many mini tours ... who later gave up because " I could not hit a 5-iron the way I wanted it "... so I learned to respect the game. Very accomplished golfer means different things to different people, to me the term reserved for those golfers who make > $500,000 a year... If Pingman makes that much then we should be happy for him...

To be clear, I only questioned the validity and output of ANY golf simulator just like I question the intelligence of several PhDs in my group. One of my technicians used to be a true scratch golfer who played in many mini tours ... who later gave up because " I could not hit a 5-iron the way I wanted it "... so I learned to respect the game. Very accomplished golfer means different things to different people, to me the term reserved for those golfers who make > $500,000 a year... If Pingman makes that much then we should be happy for him...
    just look up the difference between a pro and amateur in your USGA rulebook... and quit all this bull...

Pky Owned twice in one thread. By Pingman no less!

I'm going to the glory hole thread to put in my vote for Pky.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Pky, you might wanna create a new username. I'd be ashamed to show my face after getting beat to hell like that.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

I don't care if anyone who wants to win... If people "think" that they are better, so be it *_*

I don't care if anyone who wants to win... If people "think" that they are better, so be it *_*
    Still posting after that beat down from PM. You must have thick skin.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I don't consider it a beat down... Only a weak mind would walk away from a non-scientific debate *_* , people got beat down when they have a very weak logic to defend themselves, isn't it?

Banner day on GR. Pinger curb-stomps Pky6471 after taking abuse for several years.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Banner day on GR. Pinger curb-stomps Pky6471 after taking abuse for several years. Pinger became a man today.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Pretty sure it's the PGA of America that determines whether or not you're a qualified teaching professional...not the USGA. If you're going to make crap up on here at least make your lies credible by doing some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Banner day on GR. Pinger curb-stomps Pky6471 after taking abuse for several years. Pinger became a man today.
    And GR found a new whipping boy.

The only subjects that Pingman is willing to debate freely and openly are evolution and gay rights.
    There was, as I understand it, quite the gay Goth party scene amongst the residents of the Olduvai Gorge back in the day..

That's the place that gave us the modern word "boner", or so I'm told....
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Oh yeah, the reason I logged onto this thread..

Tiger's numbers on the TV machine are probably close enough to real. My only trip to a swing analyzer showed 112-114 mph on the clubhead, and my course carry with the driver is out there over 275 on a good swing... and I'm sure my spin/launch angle aren't optimized, although my driver does a pretty decent job keeping the ball in the air and not spin-climbing.. I just haven't gotten the actual numbers and don't know how close they are to right... I'd like to think I have another ten yards of carry if I get the spin/launch right, but this one's okay by me...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Oh yeah, the reason I logged onto this thread..

Tiger's numbers on the TV machine are probably close enough to real. My only trip to a swing analyzer showed 112-114 mph on the clubhead, and my course carry with the driver is out there over 275 on a good swing... and I'm sure my spin/launch angle aren't optimized, although my driver does a pretty decent job keeping the ball in the air and not spin-climbing.. I just haven't gotten the actual numbers and don't know how close they are to right... I'd like to think I have another ten yards of carry if I get the spin/launch right, but this one's okay by me...
    DP: if you take your clubhead spead x 2.5 factor then your drive's distance should be close to that math model. What I've seen with this forum is that there are quite a few BS here just like to talk without scientific evidence , I guess they call it internet golf... My colleague at work "thinks" that his good drives are 260+ then I use my GPS and prove to him that at best it's 240 several times, sometime we talk ourselves into believing of that distance but it could be far from reality

DP: if you take your clubhead spead x 2.5 factor then your drive's distance should be close to that math model. What I've seen with this forum is that there are quite a few BS here just like to talk without scientific evidence , I guess they call it internet golf... My colleague at work "thinks" that his good drives are 260+ then I use my GPS and prove to him that at best it's 240 several times, sometime we talk ourselves into believing of that distance but it could be far from reality
    Alot of people think they can carry the ball 275, but very few would hit driver if it required a 260 yard carry over a lake. They'd lay up short and hit the longer shot.

Oh, I see...

You're one of THOSE guys...

Everybody knows a few or plays with a few players who hit it out in the mid-200's and claim to hit it 270-300. Not everyone who claims to hit it out to 300+ is one of those players though. Some of us actually do hit it out past 300 with regularity.

Lots of people exaggerate on the internet, quite true. Some of us just like to brag though.

Kinda like that.

Smells like coffee...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Yes... I am one of those guys who could drive 200 yds, 230 max only once in a blue mơon

It looks like Pky doesn't know when to quit. I think PM needs to rip him a new corn shoot again.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    It looks like Pky doesn't know when to quit. I think PM needs to rip him a new corn shoot again.
    Ok...Ok... NAH... STFU...

Thread Information