|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I believe I have discovered the cure for the shanks

I was at the range hitting balls. I was hitting some 4 iron stingers, trying to keep them as low as possible. Then all of the sudden the dreaded shank popped up. I took another swing...shanked again. I sat there and thought about what I was doing. Why was I shanking. What about this particular motion was causing this. I realized in my effort to smash a low screaming 4 iron as hard as possible and as low as possible I had moved all my weight from the balls of my feet onto my toes. This motion caused the club to move about a half an inch farther into the ball and thus the shank.

I took some practice swings focusing on keeping my weight on the balls of my feet. Then I addressed the ball and tried another 4 iron stinger. Smoked it...not on the heel, but on the sweet spot. Tried a few more times with similar results. Then I actually tried to shank a ball with my weight remaining in balance over the balls of my feet...I couldn't do it.

Any time I have chancre problems, I just go to the county hospital STD clinic.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    I was at the range hitting balls. I was hitting some 4 iron stingers, trying to keep them as low as possible. Then all of the sudden the dreaded shank popped up. I took another swing...shanked again. I sat there and thought about what I was doing. Why was I shanking. What about this particular motion was causing this. I realized in my effort to smash a low screaming 4 iron as hard as possible and as low as possible I had moved all my weight from the balls of my feet onto my toes. This motion caused the club to move about a half an inch farther into the ball and thus the shank.

I took some practice swings focusing on keeping my weight on the balls of my feet. Then I addressed the ball and tried another 4 iron stinger. Smoked it...not on the heel, but on the sweet spot. Tried a few more times with similar results. Then I actually tried to shank a ball with my weight remaining in balance over the balls of my feet...I couldn't do it.
    This is why I don't go to the range. After 15 regular shots I get bored and try a lot of stupid things. Like trying to hit a 6 iron 200 yards in the air or flopping an 8 iron. Fukcs up my game something fierce.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    This is why I don't go to the range. After 15 regular shots I get bored and try a lot of stupid things. Like trying to hit a 6 iron 200 yards in the air or flopping an 8 iron. Fukcs up my game something fierce.
    The 4 iron stinger is a legit golf shot. I use it when I have tree trouble or on short tight par 4's. 75% of the time I'm at the range I'm working on drills to improve my swing dynamics. Trying to hit low stingers actually helps me with my impact position.

4 iron stinger

Trying to keep it low makes you stay down and through it. I like to picture a wall about 5 feet in front of me and I want to hit the lower half of it. Trust me you will stay down and through it. DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Jackson
    Trying to keep it low makes you stay down and through it. I like to picture a wall about 5 feet in front of me and I want to hit the lower half of it. Trust me you will stay down and through it. DJ
    Agreed...in my haste to stay down and through it, my weight was shifting to my toes and my body and thus my swing plane was moving towards the ball.

That said...you're a newbie with 3 posts...STFU.

Thanks Mr. Wiggles STFU to you to...get your left knee behind the ball on your backswing...DJ

Thanks Mr. Wiggles STFU to you to...get your left knee behind the ball on your backswing...DJ
    Always happy to help out a newbie.

This I totally agree with this logic, why must we stray?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Very good point.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

This is a very good tip. Getting the left knee to point just behind the ball is a demonstration of correct footwrok and helps get your hips and shoulders on a correct pivot without having to think about it. It's a good example of how a simple easy to remember move can take care of other more complicated moves. I read about this in the Tommy Armour book I've been reading. Golf can be a simple sport if you know what you should be concentrating on doing, and what to let happen naturally as a result of the simple moves.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

So essentially you are saying a proper setup helps eliminate shanks?
    Amazing!

Left Knee

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    This is a very good tip. Getting the left knee to point just behind the ball is a demonstration of correct footwrok and helps get your hips and shoulders on a correct pivot without having to think about it. It's a good example of how a simple easy to remember move can take care of other more complicated moves. I read about this in the Tommy Armour book I've been reading. Golf can be a simple sport if you know what you should be concentrating on doing, and what to let happen naturally as a result of the simple moves.
    The left knee often times ends up jetting out straight, this is huge and very much overlooked when most people focus too much on hands and arms. The weight shift back to the left is better facilitated thus getting the lower body out of the way for the arms to travel down and thru and with greater velocity as they're being pulled by the lower body.

IMO,,, decelerate could be the rơot cause of a shank, my case anyway

shaft angle

I just came back from the range and focused my efforts on keeping the shaft angle pointing more towards the target thus keeping the clubhead from delofting. This simple move worked great even on a basic chip. It's hard to shank while doing it this way!

The accepted teaching standard is to backswing to the HEEL of your back foot, pivot around that, maintain the "squat" and then shift to your front leg as you swing-- most keep their weight on that heel too. Read Tiger's book, "How I Play Golf." He clearly explains that the weight should be on the heels-- and the INSIDE of the back foot heel to prevent our shifting weight too far back--and disabling a "lower body first" downswing.

The problem with putting weight on balls of feet is that it is too easy to unconsciously raise up--

It is VERY important to "squat" as you complete the backswing and start the downswing. That because MOST amateurs do the opposite. Their butt moves toward the ball, they sort of "stand up" and thus cannot start with lower body dynamically like a baseball batter "steps into it."

As Hogan explains so wll, the hips must lead the shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0

I think this little video is the best ever made. If you can do what he demonstrates here, your club will be on plane--you will NEVER downswing OTT.

Larry

Well done Wiggle. You lured Larry back to the golf forum.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    As Hogan explains so wll, the hips must lead the shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0

I think this little video is the best ever made. If you can do what he demonstrates here, your club will be on plane--you will NEVER downswing OTT.

Larry
    I agree to a point. Hogan swung his legs while keeping his hips rotating but barely moving forward. This is a move modern golf has largely abandoned in favor of posting up because unless you're Hogan, it's hard to repeat and creates more moving parts than most people, pros included, can handle. But it's beautiful to watch him do it.

This year I've been working on keeping my chest turned back for as long as possible, then feeling rotary action, almost as though I'm coming from outside the ball on the dowswing. The weight shifts automatically this way, that and the hands dropping are the only thing happening in the first half of the downswing. It's paid more dividends with my ball striking than anything else I've done.

It does put more emphasis on timing and sublety in the swing, so if you're going to party all night before a round don't expect much. But on good days this summer, golf's been more fun and effortless than ever.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I agree to a point. Hogan swung his legs while keeping his hips rotating but barely moving forward. This is a move modern golf has largely abandoned in favor of posting up because unless you're Hogan, it's hard to repeat and creates more moving parts than most people, pros included, can handle. But it's beautiful to watch him do it.

This year I've been working on keeping my chest turned back for as long as possible, then feeling rotary action, almost as though I'm coming from outside the ball on the dowswing. The weight shifts automatically this way, that and the hands dropping are the only thing happening in the first half of the downswing. It's paid more dividends with my ball striking than anything else I've done.

It does put more emphasis on timing and sublety in the swing, so if you're going to party all night before a round don't expect much. But on good days this summer, golf's been more fun and effortless than ever.
    So you're saying if we saw your scores we could tell how much pussie you've been getting?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    So you're saying if we saw your scores we could tell how much pussie you've been getting?
    Sometimes it's really hard to keep my priorities straight. I'm not really sure what they are.
    GR lives...

The 4 iron stinger is a legit golf shot. I use it when I have tree trouble or on short tight par 4's. 75% of the time I'm at the range I'm working on drills to improve my swing dynamics. Trying to hit low stingers actually helps me with my impact position.
    I'm waiting for QCG to wade into this debate, telling us all how useful the stinger with the lob wedge is.

Thread Information