|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Anyone familiar with True Temper Tri-Gold shafts?

They were introduced around 2001 and (I think) were discontinued shortly thereafter. They were apparently an alternative to the Rifle Flighted Shafts. I bought a used set of irons that has these and assumed they were shite shafts, a couple pegs below the Dynamic Gold. I planned on re-shafting with some TT DG's, but I just hit the clubs last weekend and they felt pretty good. Even though these shafts were not readily accepted by the masses, they seem to have some pretty unique features. Supposedly "the industry's first shaft series to combine the benefits of Ascending Weight Technology, Progressive Flex, and Incremental Tip Stiffness". Here are some details regarding these features:

1) Ascending weight
    -Shafts are progressively heavier
    -3i is 109g up to 127g for the 9/PW/SW
    -Supposedly improves power

2) Progressive flex
    -Bend point low for 1i-4i, mid for 5i-7i, high for 8i-SW
    -Supposedly improves control

3) Tri-step design pattern
    -Allows for variable tip stiffness through the set
    -Tip length 11.25" for 1i down to 5.25" for 9/PW/SW, .75" increments
    -Supposedly better for scoring

I'm definitely going to give them a shot before re-shafting. Anyone else ever play a set that used these shafts?

I wouldn't go out of my way to put them in my clubs, but I wouldn't replace them either. If they're the right flex for you...I'd leave em in there.

I vaguely remember them. Do they have ugly shaft bands?

Yeah, I think that's why I assumed they were shite. Plus, I had never heard of them:

BTW, that shaft band is like 4" long...

IMO the shaft band is why they didn't sell. I was working in a golf shop when those came out. I believe they were more expensive than dynamic golds. The price point and shaft label probably killed them. I'd take those shaft bands off and play them...I believe they may be higher quality than DG's.

I have gone back to playing clubs with DG S300 shafts. It's hard to beat the feel and performance of the old stand-bys.

Has anyone played the KBS shafts? How do they compare to the DGs?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I have gone back to playing clubs with DG S300 shafts. It's hard to beat the feel and performance of the old stand-bys.

Has anyone played the KBS shafts? How do they compare to the DGs?
    I have the KBS Tours in a set and I pretty much can't stand them. Been awhile since I've had DG's in anything other than a wedge so I can't really compare, but the KBS were very high launching and somehow hook-biased. I was custom fit to them and the guy made the flex something like a 6.1. I got some really inconsistent distance out of them. Sometimes I'd fly an iron 15-20 yards further, and it seemed to happen for no apparent reason. I'm back to PX and loving it.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat

1) Ascending weight
    -Shafts are progressively heavier
    -3i is 109g up to 127g for the 9/PW/SW
    -Supposedly improves power

2) Progressive flex
    -Bend point low for 1i-4i, mid for 5i-7i, high for 8i-SW
    -Supposedly improves control

3) Tri-step design pattern
    -Allows for variable tip stiffness through the set
    -Tip length 11.25" for 1i down to 5.25" for 9/PW/SW, .75" increments
    -Supposedly better for scoring
    sounds like a perfectly sensible way to address amateur golfers' problems.. the lower tip flex in the long irons gets more height... the heavier short iron shafts get more smoothness and control with lower clubhead speed..

and with adjustability in the tipping... I could be coaxed to give these a try myself, although personally my long irons go too high already... but it would be interesting..
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I have not seen them for sale anywhere in a while. I think they were mainly sold in 8 shaft sets. There are a couple sets on ebay right now for $150. $18.75/each is pretty steep for steel iron shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I have the KBS Tours in a set and I pretty much can't stand them. Been awhile since I've had DG's in anything other than a wedge so I can't really compare, but the KBS were very high launching and somehow hook-biased. I was custom fit to them and the guy made the flex something like a 6.1. I got some really inconsistent distance out of them. Sometimes I'd fly an iron 15-20 yards further, and it seemed to happen for no apparent reason. I'm back to PX and loving it.

This is good info to know. Thanks for sharing . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I'd leave them in for sure. I had tri-golds in an old set of mine and they were probably the best shafts I've used. The theory of softer and lighter shafts in the long irons and progressively stiffer and heavier in the short makes alot of sense. I've always had R300 in my 3 and 4 and S300 in the rest, and the tri golds performed similarly to that set up IMO (mine were stiff). I think the reason they weren't more popular was the price point. They were way more expensive than DGs so they were only an upgrade model which would add too much to the price. I haven't tried the Black Golds but they sound very similar.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information