30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

7 23.33%
  • Gay

21 70.00%
  • What's an App?

2 6.67%

Yay or Gay....Golf GPS Apps for Cell Phones

Most of my friends carry smart phones these days...like palm, blackberry, or iphone. I believe there are several golf gps apps that can be had for less than $50 (I think Sky Caddies are like $300). 1) Has anyone ever tried these apps? 2)Is it awesome or Is it gay?...not that there is anything wrong with that...

Discuss....
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Most of my friends carry smart phones these days...like palm, blackberry, or iphone. I believe there are several golf gps apps that can be had for less than $50 (I think Sky Caddies are like $300). 1) Has anyone ever tried these apps? 2)Is it awesome or Is it gay?...not that there is anything wrong with that...

Discuss....
    It's gay X 2. Cell phones on on the course plus anything resembling a Skycaddie.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    It's gay X 2. Cell phones on on the course plus anything resembling a Skycaddie.
    You're saying gay, but I bet you just googled golf gps to see if it's available for your phone. I'm thinking you are blackberry curve guy.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Skycaddie is cool

Mobile Phones (on the course) are GAY

That is all, move on

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

You're saying gay, but I bet you just googled golf gps to see if it's available for your phone. I'm thinking you are blackberry curve guy.
    Wrong X 2.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

They can't be used in a competition. Even ones that allow measuring devises.

Wrong X 2.
    I may have been projecting a little there...I don't think its necessary for your home course, but cheap gps for unfamiliar courses seems like a good idea.

You do accept that the result of a GR poll is binding?

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    You do accept that the result of a GR poll is binding?

Edgey
    If I don't like the results, I will push my agenda for a few weeks and start a new pool with stacked options.

If I don't like the results, I will push my agenda for a few weeks and start a new pool with stacked options.
    I can understand your motivation here, but unfortunately you're stuck with the gene pool you have. But definitely keep the smart phone with the golf app in the closet.
    GR lives...

Using a cell phone on the course (other than to make an emergence call for beer at the turn) is a B!tchmove.

Needing a GPS unit to help one determine the yardage to the green or to carry an obstacle is gay.

Therefore using said cellphone to run said app is a gay b!tchmove ..

'nuff said
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Quote Originally Posted by Regulation Guy
    Using a cell phone on the course (other than to make an emergence call for beer at the turn) is a B!tchmove.

Needing a GPS unit to help one determine the yardage to the green or to carry an obstacle is gay.

Therefore using said cellphone to run said app is a gay b!tchmove ..

'nuff said
    For a biatch newbie you have settles in quick, a little to quick perhaps.........

Edgey

I can't find any apps for my phone.....

Name:  PRC6_Demosmall.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  15.7 KB
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Photo reminds Nose-Shuz of his days 'wid the lads in trenches no doubt
    "Yo LT is that a grenade in your pocket or are you just happy to be here?"
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

The use of a GPS phone, sky caddie, or even course markers is a b!tch move. A real, natural golfer can judge distances with their eye.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    A real, natural golfer can judge distances with their eye.
    yep... i just look down at my GPS (with my eye) and know how far i am...

jk... no i use a bushnel to tell my distances...

golf apps in the phone ? how about golf games in the phone ?

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    golf apps in the phone ? how about golf games in the phone ?

'zactly, I mean, why go to all the trouble to trot out to the course, pay your fees, get all sweaty and frustrated, when you can sit in your living room in your boxers withe a cold one and play "golf" on your IPhone, that sounds great ... as long as you're GAY
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

'zactly, I mean, why go to all the trouble to trot out to the course, pay your fees, get all sweaty and frustrated, when you can sit in your living room in your boxers withe a cold one and play "golf" on your IPhone, that sounds great ... as long as you're GAY
    Good post Reg. I've updated you to "member" status. Your profile should now reflect this.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    i use a bushnel to tell my distances...
    Which model do you use? I've got an older Bushnell Yardage Pro Tour. It seems to have lost some of its mojo. Unless the wind is really blowing the flag, it is difficult to hit a flag over about 150 yards. I'm thinking of picking up a new Bushnell Tour V2. They can be found brand new on ebay for around $240.

As far as apps, I beta tested GreenFinder and bought it when it was released. It works pretty good, but I still prefer a laser over GPS in most situations. There are very few instances where a GPS is better than a laser. Blind shots being one. One thing I do like about GreenFinder is being able to calculate driving distance. At $34.99 it was the most expensive app (by far) that I have bought for the iPhone. At least it is a one time fee and not a subscription like they charge for the Blackberry edition. Something about Apple not allowing apps to be sold as subscriptions. Another drawback to GPS apps in the iPhone is battery life. You need to start with a full charge and use it pretty efficiently to get through an entire round. All in all, GreenFinder is a really good app. I just don't think GPS is as useful as a good laser rangefinder.

iPhone = iGay
    team obnoxious

I guess you would know... What part of STFU NEWBIE do you not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    I guess you would know... What part of STFU NEWBIE do you not understand?
    What? Easy there KoolCat! No need to get yer panties in a bunch! I thought you were just hispanic?
    team obnoxious

Just trying to keep things under control while M3W is out of commission. Now STFU newbie...

What makes you such a "Senior" member?? By the way, nice avatar....Yer welcome!
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    What makes you such a "Senior" member??
    If you have to ask, then... STFU (and thanks for the pic)

If you have to ask, then... STFU (and thanks for the pic)

I'm must say that I'm less than impressed by that reply. A true "Senior" would have done a much better job at chastising me as a "Newbie"
    Be warned that you're putting your new found "Senior" status and credibility in jeopardy on this board! ........And you're quite welcome for the pic.....I have plenty
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    Which model do you use? I've got an older Bushnell Yardage Pro Tour. It seems to have lost some of its mojo. Unless the wind is really blowing the flag, it is difficult to hit a flag over about 150 yards. I'm thinking of picking up a new Bushnell Tour V2. They can be found brand new on ebay for around $240.

As far as apps, I beta tested GreenFinder and bought it when it was released. It works pretty good, but I still prefer a laser over GPS in most situations. There are very few instances where a GPS is better than a laser. Blind shots being one. One thing I do like about GreenFinder is being able to calculate driving distance. At $34.99 it was the most expensive app (by far) that I have bought for the iPhone. At least it is a one time fee and not a subscription like they charge for the Blackberry edition. Something about Apple not allowing apps to be sold as subscriptions. Another drawback to GPS apps in the iPhone is battery life. You need to start with a full charge and use it pretty efficiently to get through an entire round. All in all, GreenFinder is a really good app. I just don't think GPS is as useful as a good laser rangefinder.
    i think it's a pinseeker 1500... not 100% on that though, i let my brother borrow it and i have his right now.... but the one i use right now is the competition one... it's not that great like you said it's not very good over about 150... but still its good to see approximate distances...

The poll results are about as definitive as they get. Looks like Purist won't be gaying up his phone with that golf app.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

The poll results are about as definitive as they get. Looks like Purist won't be gaying up his phone with that golf app.
    GPS, Iphone golf apps, softi grips, clip on divit repair tool, golf visors, iron head covers, personalized golf balls, brush tees, cart bags, etc., all paths leading to the dark gay side of golf ... nttawwt
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

... it's not that great like you said it's not very good over about 150... but still its good to see approximate distances...
    Er ... yeah ... that's why the rest of use just use the 100, 150 & 200 yard markers. We can work out the club we need from the approximate distances instead of having to use one of those ridiculous electronic hack devices.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 08-26-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Er ... yeah ... that's why the rest of use just use the 100, 150 & 200 yard markers. We can work out the club we need from the approximate distances instead of having to use one of those ridiculous electronic devices.
    Agreed. Chopper-binoculars and all manner of skycaddies are the gadgets of golf nerds.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

not a fan. your phone shouldn't be out while on the course anyway
    Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5* Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
    Fairway Wood: Titleist 904F 15* Aldila Fairway NV-75 Stiff
    Hyrid: Titleist 585-H 19* Aldila NV-85 Stiff
    Irons: Cobra SSi 3-PW Precision Stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM54*, Titleist Vokey SM58*
    Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5
    Ball: Tilteist ProV1

GPS, Iphone golf apps, softi grips, clip on divit repair tool, golf visors, iron head covers, personalized golf balls, brush tees, cart bags, etc., all paths leading to the dark gay side of golf ... nttawwt
    pink shafts, personalized putter grips, magnetized ball marker holders, pull carts w/motors, gps that keeps score, shoes that hold tees
    DJ

Has anybody watched a cartoon called Inspector Gadget ?

Geeze what bout the local semi private that has GPS/Skycaddie mounted on the golf carts. They let you know distance to front center and back, additionally they tell you what the beer and sandwich special of the day is at the turn. Is this gay
    My motto Be Happy but STFU Nubees.
    G H D
    When I'm in the shower
    I'm afraid to wash my hair
    'Cause I might open my eyes
    And find someone standing there
    People say I'm crazy
    Just a little touched
    But maybe showers remind me
    Of Psycho too much
    That's why

(I always feel like)
    (Somebody's watching me)
    And I have no privacy
    Whooooa, oh-oh
    (I always feel like)
    (Somebody's watching me)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Er ... yeah ... that's why the rest of use just use the 100, 150 & 200 yard markers. We can work out the club we need from the approximate distances instead of having to use one of those ridiculous electronic hack devices.

do realize how far off those markers usually are... i mean the bushnel i use right now is good but you have to point it at the ground like right before the pin.... so it can be like 3yrds off... that's what i mean by appx yardages... but yeah you can keep on guessing if you like...

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilking1891
    not a fan. your phone shouldn't be out while on the course anyway

Totally agree,we go golfing to get away from the bullshite don't we.

And what possible excuse could the vanity cap hackers have for their shots coming up 20 yards short and right if they had something that gave them the exact distance for every shot?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Globalhelpdesk
    Geeze what bout the local semi private that has GPS/Skycaddie mounted on the golf carts. They let you know distance to front center and back, additionally they tell you what the beer and sandwich special of the day is at the turn. Is this gay
    G H D
    One could even wear a beer cap/hat.. he can sip some beers at address before taking a shot.. making it part of his pre-shot routine. I wonder whether he would find his way back after having a bad round of golf..

do realize how far off those markers usually are... i mean the bushnel i use right now is good but you have to point it at the ground like right before the pin.... so it can be like 3yrds off... that's what i mean by appx yardages... but yeah you can keep on guessing if you like...
    I agree with Pingman. Those yardage markers can be pretty far off sometimes. I hit more greens than normal on a course I rarely play that had GPS in the carts. Those poor golf gps apps got destroyed in the poll....I will try again next spring.

I agree with Pingman. Those yardage markers can be pretty far off sometimes. I hit more greens than normal on a course I rarely play that had GPS in the carts. Those poor golf gps apps got destroyed in the poll....I will try again next spring.
    Pure ...
    Its not that they're not helpful (just like having a pro hit your shot, or a member tell you the exact yardage or some local knowledge tidbit can help your score) its just that wanting to use some kinda electro-gadget to make up for a lack of skill in estimating absolute distance is just a bit on the gay side ... and your colleagues had to point that out to you ... Rough love ...
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

G H D
    The cart GPS speeds up play, fun and easy to use since the display is big and always on, it measures well enough, keeps score and you can order food on it at the turn. Most courses have them now if you ride. I am in the habit of just pacing off the yardage from markers and most importantly is judging the amount of feet uphill or downhill I am hitting which I think is critical and hard to get accurate readings from a gps system.
    DJ

Geeze what bout the local semi private that has GPS/Skycaddie mounted on the golf carts. They let you know distance to front center and back, additionally they tell you what the beer and sandwich special of the day is at the turn. Is this gay?
    G H D
    Yes, yes it is.
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    And what possible excuse could the vanity cap hackers have for their shots coming up 20 yards short and right if they had something that gave them the exact distance for every shot?
    Although GPS is gay. I use it. If I know I'm out 147 yards, I'll be able to hit exactly 147 yards. It's how us SCRATCH golfers do it.....
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    Although GPS is gay. I use it. If I know I'm out 147 yards, I'll be able to hit exactly 147 yards. It's how us SCRATCH golfers do it.....
    no need to be ashamed ... everyone needs to scratch their own particular itches ...
    147, thats ~ about ~ a half-wedge for you scratch golfers right?
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

no need to be ashamed ... everyone needs to scratch their own particular itches ...
    147, thats ~ about ~ a half-wedge for you scratch golfers right?
    Ya That's about right, if I open the face a little bit....
    team obnoxious

Pure ...
    Its not that they're not helpful (just like having a pro hit your shot, or a member tell you the exact yardage or some local knowledge tidbit can help your score) its just that wanting to use some kinda electro-gadget to make up for a lack of skill in estimating absolute distance is just a bit on the gay side ... and your colleagues had to point that out to you ... Rough love ...
    I confess to having abysmal depth perception. Part of the reason I'm so fearless with women is I always thought the hot chick across the bar was smiling at me. And hot breasts often seem closer to me than they really are.

So since I agree completley that yardage markers are innacurate (think about who set them) I need a lazer. If that makes me gay, well, bad luck there.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Jackson
    The cart GPS speeds up play
    Agree. Wanking will also speed up ejaculation. You don't have to find a chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Jackson
    [B]I am in the habit of just pacing off the yardage from markers and most importantly is judging the amount of feet uphill or downhill I am hitting which I think is critical and hard to get accurate readings from a gps system.
    The fun of golf is actually solving the riddles.

id rather see a guy shoot in the 70s without a skycrappy. Its takes the fun out of the game alittle. But then again I hate guys that wander around the fairways like they are lost looking for yardage markers. Most courses should have the 150 clearly marked , shouldnt that take some guess work out . I mean most golfers should know how far they hit their clubs.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

I'm a new guy here so please don't abuse me too badly but I have been using Golf Logix on my Blackberry 8330 Curve and I really like it for a few reasons:

1) It's cheaper than normal golf GPS devices. It is a yearly fee of $39.95, and the download was free.

2) It really speeds up play since I no longer have to walk-off yardages between markers and sprinkler heads.

3) It has a shot distance feature that will let you know exactly how far you are hitting your clubs - Especially during practice sessions.

4) It provides known distances to and over hazards such as traps, ponds, and trees.

All in all I feel that they are well worth the money.
    Callaway 2008 Big Bertha Irons
    Callaway FT-i driver
    Titleist 5 wood
    Mizuno 52* & 56* forged wedges
    Odyssey 2-Ball putter

Quote Originally Posted by bstjohn1350
    I'm a new guy here so please don't abuse me too badly but I have been using Golf Logix on my Blackberry 8330 Curve and I really like it for a few reasons:

1) It's cheaper than normal golf GPS devices. It is a yearly fee of $39.95, and the download was free.

2) It really speeds up play since I no longer have to walk-off yardages between markers and sprinkler heads.

3) It has a shot distance feature that will let you know exactly how far you are hitting your clubs - Especially during practice sessions.

4) It provides known distances to and over hazards such as traps, ponds, and trees.

All in all I feel that they are well worth the money.
    Hi and welcome

STFU newbie

Sorry its the rules

RIP Wiggle

Edgey

Much appreciated, I'll STFU now... :-)
    Callaway FT-i driver
    Titleist 5 wood
    Odyssey 2-Ball putter

EDGEY IS RIGHT

PHONE ON COURSE = PILLOW BITTER

Omen does not use skycaddie, lasers, or walk off yardages from sprinkler heads... i just approximate the distance much the way real golfers do, by gauging the distance from the 100, 150, 200, and 250 markers.

The only OMEN approved yardage measuring device is a REAL CADDIE...
    but if you have them read all your putts you are GAY.

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Much appreciated, I'll STFU now... :-)
    Hi

Newbies have to be tested to see if they can take this insane, hostile, amusing and totaly unique forum.

If you can stand the initiation, you can take all the rest of the silly bollocks around here.

Now STFU

Edgey

Omen needs a valium.
    Callaway FT-i driver
    Titleist 5 wood
    Odyssey 2-Ball putter

3,020 posts behind and you think you're ready????

you should do some brief research; you don't even know Omen yet.

Your suggestion is now officially RETARDED.

Omen, Congratulations your first time being called RETARDED by Omen.

Omen needs a valium.
    Newbies are NOT allowed to insult senior members so STFU newbie

Edgey

My friend, relax. I guess if I have to be called "retarded" then I am blessed by having been called so by Omen.

May all your scores be low and no putts read by caddies.
    Callaway FT-i driver
    Titleist 5 wood
    Odyssey 2-Ball putter

Thanks for the warm wishes... may the same be for you.. and perhaps some forged blades too boot.

Omen

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Newbies are NOT allowed to insult senior members so STFU newbie

Edgey
    You're on the verge of hurting my feelings. I'm becoming more and more sensitive with each post... Now I have to look for a anti-depressant forum. Gee, thanks.
    Callaway FT-i driver
    Titleist 5 wood
    Odyssey 2-Ball putter

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    Thanks for the warm wishes... may the same be for you.. and perhaps some forged blades too boot.

Omen
    I played Mizuno Pro forged irons for years until I got too fat and lost some of my timing. Since then I've switched to Callaway Big Bertha 2008s and the scores are starting to drop again.
    Callaway FT-i driver
    Titleist 5 wood
    Odyssey 2-Ball putter

I played Mizuno Pro forged irons for years until I got too fat and lost some of my timing. Since then I've switched to Callaway Big Bertha 2008s and the scores are starting to drop again.

i just vomited a little... in my mouth... .... OH GOD... I JUST VOMITED ALL OVER MY COMPUTER...

you owe me a new macbook

Omen

Check's in the mail... But I'm still not getting rid of my Callaways.

Side note: Have you seen the new Mac touch screen mini-computers that are supposed to becoming out this fall? Kinda like a mini-notebook sized iPhone or iTouch. VERY COOL and semi-affordable at around $800.

Take care gentlemen, time to leave work for the day. Pleasure chatting with you.
    Callaway FT-i driver
    Titleist 5 wood
    Odyssey 2-Ball putter

Thread Information