|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Anyone else playing the TaylorMade Burner driver?

I picked one of these up last week. It's the 2007/2008 model that just got marked down to $149. I can't seem to miss with this thing. It's the first driver in about 10 years that I have any confidence with. It almost feels like cheating. I'm going to check out the 3 wood this weekend.

Tried it, didn't like it. It was way to light for me. I also don't like the length of the shaft. Way too long for me.

I haven't noticed the length being an issue. I assume it's 46" or whatever is standard nowadays. Definitely does not feel light either. I've been hesitant to go to one of the giant 460cc drivers. I've tried Callaway, Ping, etc., but the heads always looked huge at address and I always felt like their size made them cumbersome to swing efficiently. For some reason, this Burner just fits. It's given me a whole new perspective on the game. I've mostly been teeing off with a 3 wood the last several years.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    I haven't noticed the length being an issue. I assume it's 46" or whatever is standard nowadays. Definitely does not feel light either. I've been hesitant to go to one of the giant 460cc drivers. I've tried Callaway, Ping, etc., but the heads always looked huge at address and I always felt like their size made them cumbersome to swing efficiently. For some reason, this Burner just fits. It's given me a whole new perspective on the game. I've mostly been teeing off with a 3 wood the last several years.
    i have one, got it online at auction for $90 and it's great, even got one for my brother. there is a reason they're the most popular on tour over eveyone else combined.
    DJ

Most Pro's at or less than 45". The burner is actually 46.25 and seems to be the longest in production.

I just went to Taylormade's site and I checked out 10 of the big names on their sponsor list and none were playing the Burner. Most were bagging the R9TP.

The burner is a great club and many people like it. It doesn't fit my eye or swing. If it works for you great. That's all it's about. Great price too.

Yeah, can't beat the price. I guess it just fits my swing. I've been teeing off with my Ping Ti3 3 wood for a while now. I just couldn't find a driver that went more than 10-15 yards further than the 3 wood. It just wasn't worth losing accuracy for a couple yards. This Burner gives me 30-40 yards over the 3 wood and is as accurate or maybe even more so.

The silver and red one, or the black one with the big B at the bottom?

The first one was my driver for a while but it can be a hook machine if you're not careful.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Its a well known GR fact that mostly teeing off with a three wood is a biatch move done by golfers not man enough to hit a driver.

Shite next thing you will have Ping Raptures and a gaybrid..................like me

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    The silver and red one, or the black one with the big B at the bottom?
    It's this one:

So far no problem with a big hook. The face is set up a bit closed, so you have to be careful with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Shite next thing you will have Ping Raptures and a gaybrid..................like me
    I've already got 2 Ping G10 gaybrids in the bag, so I'm already there. No Raptures yet, but might try to grab a set of G10 or i10 irons this winter. I'm just not sure I can go back to cast clubs.

I picked one of these up last week. It's the 2007/2008 model that just got marked down to $149. I can't seem to miss with this thing. It's the first driver in about 10 years that I have any confidence with. It almost feels like cheating. I'm going to check out the 3 wood this weekend.
    Sounds to me like you're experiencing the well known honeymoon period. It is a well known fact that every new club bagged performs beautifully, but unfortunately this does not last. As soon as you duck-hook one into the reeds the spell will be broken.
    I had one of these a year ago and they are a decent stick but the stock shaft is a bit too soft in the tip for many players, it tended to launch too high and be a little erratic. distance was good but nothing special. I have since found a driver that also has a lightweight shaft but is far superior, at least for me. A 2005 TEE.
    Last edited by oldplayer; 09-04-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Jackson
    i have one, got it online at auction for $90 and it's great, even got one for my brother. there is a reason they're the most popular on tour over eveyone else combined.
    Yeah and that reason is Taylormade pay a lot more money to tour pros to play their drivers than anyone else does. If you use that arguement it just shows what a successful marketing ploy it has been.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I have the tour burner on a 9.5 stiff, I was never really a confident driver but after a few serious range sessions with this thing I've drove some monsters, but the honeymoon period is over, the bombs are still there but they are few and far between. Absolute quality foe the money.. Can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Yeah and that reason is Taylormade pay a lot more money to tour pros to play their drivers than anyone else does. If you use that arguement it just shows what a successful marketing ploy it has been.
    possibly true, the nikerette sasquatch series driver is a nice club too but they have a smaller group of guys representing it, probably because nikerette's budget contains tigger
    DJ

Yeah that version is the hook monster. Don't get too quick with it or you'll be all over the left side of the rough.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

Yea ................................is anyone else playing the TM Burner. Just about every Joe Schmoe . who trys to play golf has one of those things
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

What driver you bag pro...

Srixon zrw bombs the ball long and straight

Quote Originally Posted by BURNDOG
    What driver you bag pro...
    Got me one of those Cleveland XL and a FT-5 .
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    Got me one of those Cleveland XL and a FT-5 .
    Got Crack

GHD
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by groundhogday
    Got Crack

GHD
    No ...................Sorry. Yer Mom dukes bought the rest of it last night. Shi t she even mowed my lawn to knock the price down alittle ,.................said something about needing the extra money to buy some new bed sheets because her boy wet the bed often.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Tried it, didn't like it. It was way to light for me. I also don't like the length of the shaft. Way too long for me.
    The length is an issue to me too. My shots are less accurate. But some people told me that if cut the shaft, the club won't work well. Instead, I have to buy a new shorter shaft. I don't know how true this is.

I tested them at golf galaxy and its a very solid club indeed. If you don't need or want the weights of the r7 line the burner is a very good club.

I bought one two weeks ago burner 07 9.5 stiff flex.. had a round last week was the best I have hit in a long time still managed a bannana slice on a few holes but way less then I used too.. just had a couple of sessions at the range ths week and have completely nulified my slice and now have a draw... didn't find that much more distance then my old driver untill I saw how much more roll the burner got, at least another 10 -20 metres.. dont have an issue with the length and the weight is light but the feel is great real easy to swing, it practically swings itself.. Looks awesome, added bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by andylocky6
    I bought one two weeks ago burner 07 9.5 stiff flex.. had a round last week was the best I have hit in a long time still managed a bannana slice on a few holes but way less then I used too.. just had a couple of sessions at the range ths week and have completely nulified my slice and now have a draw... didn't find that much more distance then my old driver untill I saw how much more roll the burner got, at least another 10 -20 metres.. dont have an issue with the length and the weight is light but the feel is great real easy to swing, it practically swings itself.. Looks awesome, added bonus!
    Andylocky6, enthusiasm's great, but it seems as though every one of your posts has at least one exclamation mark. Why is that? NAH is Australian and he doesn't overuse them. Old Player might have at some point.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Andylocky6, enthusiasm's great, but it seems as though every one of your posts has at least one exclamation mark. Why is that? NAH is Australian and he doesn't overuse them. Old Player might have at some point.
    What's an exclamation mark?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I am almost sure that this driver is 46". I don't own it but borrow from my friend's to hit a few times on golf course. His comes with a stiff stock shaft, but I feel it has the same flex as my Aldila NV R-flex. I hit it well, as well as my TEE driver.

Thread Information