|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best Training Aids?

I have purchased a few training aids which have i believe helped out my swing (inside approach and the Matzie club). I recently ordered the Swingyde which appears cheap but effective. Every review i have managed to read online appears to give nothing but positive feedback on this device.

What do you guys think? Currently i suffer from hittin the ball fat and at times hitting solid shot but with an out to in shot.

thanks,

I combined two training aids that I have used over the last few years to good effect. I use the Momentus with a Tour Weight Swing Sock. This makes for a very heavy club that is great for building up swing speed & the muscles of the wrists/forearms. Its like swinging a solid steel bar. It is heavy and if you are out of shape perhaps a ligther Swing Sock or maybe just the Momentus. Its great for warming up before a round & building up a solid feel for the swing.

Range balls.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

The Medicus swing trainer is far and away the best training device around. If you take that club to the range 2 or 3 times a week (for a couple months) and hit balls with it (don't hit with any other club) you will see a major difference in your shots. It's heavier than a standard club too, so it does a decent job of building up your golf muscles. Second best training aid ever is the impact bag. Third is a string and some golf tees that you can use to help with putting alignment and stroke refinement.

Definitely a coke bottle attached to a string. It teaches you to use a zero-leveraged swing. Im actually thinking about designing a golf club where I pull the stock shaft out and replace it with part of a jump rope. I might call it the "rope-a-dope master". I haven't really worked out how Im going to market it yet.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

BrianMcG said it best, range balls. That, and a practice green. I use a 1 iron and a weighted club as practice clubs at the range too. The 1 iron forces you to swing it flawlessly, while the weighted club gives you good tempo. I have not used a medicus yet, so I cant attest. Some homemade aids are helpful too, like a board or club for swing alignment.
    Last edited by connecticutter; 06-25-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Beating balls at the range with no purpose will do very little to improve your game. When you go to the range you should be doing drills at least 75% of the time. That is unless you're warming up to play.

That goes without saying. I see a lot of hacks on the range or putting green just chopping away, not realizing they sliced a driver 30 yards off line or pulled a putt, thinking it was break.

A lot of hacks also do that on the course. Just go up to the ball and hit without any thought of what kind of shot to play.

If I am hitting a jumbo bucket of 145 balls, I find that practice to be less useful than say hitting 50-60 balls that are paced out and focused.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

I agree. Going to the range and just hitting balls is not the best way to develop a consistent swing. I believe those who pay closer attention to their swing use different training methods, focusing on specific problems can develop a better more consisting swing.

I am not saying use every training aid out there, but knowing which ones can help is already a step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jrio
    I agree. Going to the range and just hitting balls is not the best way to develop a consistent swing. I believe those who pay closer attention to their swing use different training methods, focusing on specific problems can develop a better more consisting swing.

I am not saying use every training aid out there, but knowing which ones can help is already a step forward.
    I think most people make it way too difficult. If you setup correctly, just worry about your impact position. If you're doing the right things in the 6 to 12 inches around impact that's all that matters. Perfect that and the swing plane, spine angle, spine tilt, pronation, suppination, backswing, downswing, follow-through, everything will fall into place.

Anything from LarryAb Enterprises. About the only thing I do is use a mirror, mostly to check if my setup is good are everything is square.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

For men I would have to say a C-ring. For woman I'd go with alcohol.
    GR lives...

1979 Wilson Staff Tour Blade
    Kind Regards,
    bubbha70
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Titleist 905R (9.5*)
    Bobby Jones 3W (15*)
    Bobby Jones 5W (19*)
    Titleist 695MB (3 - PW)
    Titleist Vokey Wedges [56* and 60*]
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hit the damn ball!

I forget what it was called but I had this thing I put on my left wrist that would click if I cupped my wrist too much and it completely revolutionized my golf game...it was a super cheap piece of plastic...not for everyone but if you cast your club because you cup your left wrist too much at the top of your backswing, this will fix it within days. You can also just put a pen or something in your glove or your watch and get the same effect...

The medicus is great I agree but whatever that fixes isn't my problem because I can hit balls perfectly with that thing...You have to find the training aid that fixes what is wrong with your swing or it is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by jrio

Well, if you want to develop a "real" golf swing, you will endeavor to learn the transition weight shift, to "turn, plant (your front foot) and then swng." "Turn, plant, swing." Ask any teaching pro. About 99% of amateur just turn and swing, omitting the move to the front leg. Their clubhead decelerates before it reaches the ball--and thus it goes noplace in comparison to good golfers who hit a 5i 200+ with a relaxed easy swing.

I don't know of any training aid that teaches the correct downswing sequence. Maybe the "inside approach" come closest because keeping the clubhead UNDER that thing before impact forces the golfer to step on his front leg and lead his shoulders with his hips, the "post" move that is the difference between "them" and us. He would be forced to tilt his torso away from the target-- and that might teach him the right moves. The cheapest thing works best!! That is about a dime's worth of PVC!

But in my opinion every other training aid is a joke--because the typical "turn-swing" amateur golfer can work them just fine, thus further ingraining the wrong sequence.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Well, if you want to develop a "real" golf swing, you will endeavor to learn the transition weight shift, to "turn, plant (your front foot) and then swng." "Turn, plant, swing." Ask any teaching pro. About 99% of amateur just turn and swing, omitting the move to the front leg. Their clubhead decelerates before it reaches the ball--and thus it goes noplace in comparison to good golfers who hit a 5i 200+ with a relaxed easy swing.

I don't know of any training aid that teaches the correct downswing sequence. Maybe the "inside approach" come closest because keeping the clubhead UNDER that thing before impact forces the golfer to step on his front leg and lead his shoulders with his hips, the "post" move that is the difference between "them" and us. He would be forced to tilt his torso away from the target-- and that might teach him the right moves. The cheapest thing works best!! That is about a dime's worth of PVC!

But in my opinion every other training aid is a joke--because the typical "turn-swing" amateur golfer can work them just fine, thus further ingraining the wrong sequence.

Larry
    Is that Avatar really a picture of you? You look just like Steve Martin in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 3 Wiggle
    I think most people make it way too difficult. If you setup correctly, just worry about your impact position. If you're doing the right things in the 6 to 12 inches around impact that's all that matters. Perfect that and the swing plane, spine angle, spine tilt, pronation, suppination, backswing, downswing, follow-through, everything will fall into place.
    Yeah, if you really work at that, you MIGHT eventually break 90. You will miss so many fairways and greens that you would have to be a magician to score. Some do because they play every day and live at the golf course.

But if you want to play only weekends and STILL shoot low--hit fairways and greens, you must have a correct golf swing. You MUST learn to turn, step on your front leg, then swing. That is the only way to bring the clubhead to the ball from the inside, and that is the only way to consistently hit it straight.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMcG
    Range balls.
    This was a great post . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Thread Information