|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Heel toe blade vs. Mallet Putters

Does the type of putter head you use really dictate the type of swing path you have while you putt? I have heard/read that mallet heads are for the straight back and forward approach while the blades are for more of an arc swing. Is this true? And if so, what happens if you have an arc swing path (naturally) and have a mallet putter? Will you not be as consistent or does it make a difference?

For the most part that is true, but nothing in golf is set in stone. If you use an arc swing as your natural swing, but you putt well with a mallet style putter, then I wouldn't change a thing and vice-versa.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I think the heel toe weighting is more important than the style. A face balanced blade will still be suitable for SBST. I am a SBST putter, and I prefer a face balanced, centre shafted mallet style putter. This setup and type of stroke is fool proof for short straight putts. I'm no great putter from long range, but form inside 4 feet I'm deadly and as good as anyone I play with. So for me that means not so many long bombs going in but very few three putts. Also in answer o your question I think having the wrong type of putter for your stroke is definitely detrimental.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I use a mallet putter and arc swing. I kick ass with it. Outside 15 ft I'm usually within 8 in so I don't think it matters as much.
    SILLY FA$&!?S BLUE/WHITE TEES ARE FOR B$&@?z

BAGGING
    45" srixon zrw stiff
    3&5 wood srixon zsteel reg
    3-pw srixon i701 project x rifle 5.5
    52 & 58 srixon wg 706 wedges nippon 1080
    mizuno bettanardi putter
    lamkin crossline
    tm tp red

I'M an arc style putter who is using a.......blush.....See More Putter.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    I'M an arc style putter who is using a.......blush.....See More Putter.......
    All that Google advertising at the top of the page finally got to you, didn't it?

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    like Nah, i use a face balanced SBST CS mallet putter as well. i had always used an anser style putter in the past, and was never consistent in the <10ft range. i'm much better now, and the heavy putter has definitely helped my distance on lags, especially on very fast greens.

all of the heavy putters are face balanced, which they say has a higher MOI than heel-toe.

Quote Originally Posted by Duddles
    Does the type of putter head you use really dictate the type of swing path you have while you putt? I have heard/read that mallet heads are for the straight back and forward approach while the blades are for more of an arc swing. Is this true? And if so, what happens if you have an arc swing path (naturally) and have a mallet putter? Will you not be as consistent or does it make a difference?

The putter design doesn't dictate the path or the mechanics of the stroke, but each design performs best when coupled with the most suitable technique (SBST for FB mallets, or open/close for anser and blade putters.

I'm a firm believer in arc putting, making a stroke which keeps the face of the putter square to the plane of the stroke (not the PATH of the stroke). This technique lends itself well to all designs of putters, and tends to produce good lag putting results when combined with non-FB blade and anser designs, and very good shorter range accuracy (inside 10ft) when combined with a FB putter. Blade, anser, and mallet style putters are all available in face-balanced designs, so the style of the putter is more of a personal matter. The degree of face balancing (or lack thereof) will determine how a putter performs using each technique.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

How much impact does the MOI have on putters? My issue right now is that I have a YES putter (mallet style) and when I hit it on the sweet spot it rockets the ball off the face. I don't get to play as much anymore so the consistency is off and I'm not always hitting the sweet spot, but when I do I get punished. But it seems with the YES putter that my distance control is off. Would a putter with less MOI mean I'd have to hit it harder? Or do the grooves on the YES putter just get the ball rolling that much quicker than the others?

Basically I'm struggling to decide whether I should try a different putter, and if so what kind.

How much impact does the MOI have on putters? My issue right now is that I have a YES putter (mallet style) and when I hit it on the sweet spot it rockets the ball off the face. I don't get to play as much anymore so the consistency is off and I'm not always hitting the sweet spot, but when I do I get punished. But it seems with the YES putter that my distance control is off. Would a putter with less MOI mean I'd have to hit it harder? Or do the grooves on the YES putter just get the ball rolling that much quicker than the others?

Basically I'm struggling to decide whether I should try a different putter, and if so what kind.
    Sounds like the Yes putter doesn't disperse the sweet spot across the face much. Some putters out there defintiely have less distance difference between sweet spot and non sweet spot hits. The Macgregor Bobby Grace DCT range claim to produce consistent results all across the face, and from expeience I can say that this seems to be the case.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I own a Callie- Forged Yes putter . I wouldnt use anything else either........But I think its best to find a putter and stick with it for a long long time. I could never understand people who change putters more than wedges. The putter should outlast any and all clubs in the bag. ....
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    I own a Callie- Forged Yes putter . I wouldnt use anything else either........But I think its best to find a putter and stick with it for a long long time. I could never understand people who change putters more than wedges. The putter should outlast any and all clubs in the bag. ....
    You do realise your opinion isn't worth squat on this board right?

It seems like you're gauging your distance on mishits. Getting a putter with less MOI would exacerbate the problem. Higher MOI will give you more consistent distance control. But, then again, mallets are not known for great distance control in the first place.

Perhaps you should test drive some lighter putters. I've found that the heavier the putter head, the more likely I am to have distance control problems. The lighter the head the better the speed.

Heavier heads give you a better feel of the position of the face though. Lighter heads are easier to hit offline. So its really a toss up. I use the YES tracy because it is a heel toe weghted face balanced putter. Its a little heavy but I found its a pretty fair compromise.
    Clearly the rules don't apply in this situation.

Buy this putter
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-Ram-Zeb...3286.m20.l1116
    and practice with it and you never lơơk back

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Buy this putter
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-Ram-Zeb...3286.m20.l1116
    and practice with it and you never lơơk back
    My gosh, the grip of that putter is old-school leather-wrap-around non-pistol-top.
    The head looks as heavy as a stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuno>Ping
    My gosh, the grip of that putter is old-school leather-wrap-around non-pistol-top.

It's funny to me how certain putters can fit certain people, but other putters could ruin a good putting game. I've never been what some could call a "solid" putter. In fact, I have really struggled over the past year. I used a YES Callie Forged putter 3 years ago and used up until 3 weeks ago for the most part. I also purchased a Heavy Putter before that and used it for 6 months. I have switched back in forth to a PING blade putter some over the past year, but never really got serious with it. I purchased and used a PING G5 (mallet) putter for 1 week before selling it off from dislike.

I have also purchased books and "putting aids" to try and help my game, and they have helped to an extent. BUT, it was not until 3 weeks ago that I stumbled across a putter in one of my buddy's old golf bags in his garage that has opened up my putting game. This putter looks like a little like my YES Callie forged putter in shape, but it is a little "harder" made and not quite as soft. In fact, there is no OEM name on this putter at all, it looks like it has been "homemade." It has a basic steel putting shaft and a regular size leather wrap on it. For some reason I cannot explain, it has great feel and just the right "pop" to it for my chosen putting stroke. I didn't have to pay a dime for it as my buddy just gave it to me. It's not the most attractive putter around, but it works better for me than any other putter I have ever had to date.

Another thing I discovered is a putting technique that seems to be working for me. Whenever I chip, I keep my left arm very stiff and my left wrist flat. What this does is it tends to send my chips very straight to the target so that all I have to really get right is the distance control. I don't know why it suddenly dawned on me a couple of weeks ago, but I thought, "if it works for my chipping game (that has improved greatly) then why wouldn't it work putting as well?" So, I started trying it, and it WORKS! I have gone from being very questionable on putts from 8 feet and in to being deadly! It looks very rigid and uncomfortable if you are an onlooker because my left arm is stiff through the entire stroke, but my wrists do not bend or flex and it forces me to use my shoulders and upper body to stroke the ball without any arms influencing the stroke. I still use an "arc" stroke while doing this so the blade putter seems to compliment the stroke.

You can't believe how relieved I have been to now find a degree of confidence in my putting game after struggling for the last year or longer.

The thing is, there is not any ONE putter that is the best for everybody. You have to find the putter that is going to fit your style of stroke and feel the best.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    It's funny to me how certain putters can fit certain people, but other putters could ruin a good putting game. I've never been what some could call a "solid" putter. In fact, I have really struggled over the past year. I used a YES Callie Forged putter 3 years ago and used up until 3 weeks ago for the most part. I also purchased a Heavy Putter before that and used it for 6 months. I have switched back in forth to a PING blade putter some over the past year, but never really got serious with it. I purchased and used a PING G5 (mallet) putter for 1 week before selling it off from dislike.

I have also purchased books and "putting aids" to try and help my game, and they have helped to an extent. BUT, it was not until 3 weeks ago that I stumbled across a putter in one of my buddy's old golf bags in his garage that has opened up my putting game. This putter looks like a little like my YES Callie forged putter in shape, but it is a little "harder" made and not quite as soft. In fact, there is no OEM name on this putter at all, it looks like it has been "homemade." It has a basic steel putting shaft and a regular size leather wrap on it. For some reason I cannot explain, it has great feel and just the right "pop" to it for my chosen putting stroke. I didn't have to pay a dime for it as my buddy just gave it to me. It's not the most attractive putter around, but it works better for me than any other putter I have ever had to date.

Another thing I discovered is a putting technique that seems to be working for me. Whenever I chip, I keep my left arm very stiff and my left wrist flat. What this does is it tends to send my chips very straight to the target so that all I have to really get right is the distance control. I don't know why it suddenly dawned on me a couple of weeks ago, but I thought, "if it works for my chipping game (that has improved greatly) then why wouldn't it work putting as well?" So, I started trying it, and it WORKS! I have gone from being very questionable on putts from 8 feet and in to being deadly! It looks very rigid and uncomfortable if you are an onlooker because my left arm is stiff through the entire stroke, but my wrists do not bend or flex and it forces me to use my shoulders and upper body to stroke the ball without any arms influencing the stroke. I still use an "arc" stroke while doing this so the blade putter seems to compliment the stroke.

You can't believe how relieved I have been to now find a degree of confidence in my putting game after struggling for the last year or longer.

The thing is, there is not any ONE putter that is the best for everybody. You have to find the putter that is going to fit your style of stroke and feel the best.
    -If it works for you, then it's fine, but personally I would not like a braced, tensed left arm. Firm, straight, but not ramrod straight. The flat left wrist is essential in making crisp, downwards, solid strikes, try to integrate it into your swings too. You may find that the balls spin more and travel straighter.

-Yep, no single putter is the best for everybody. Personally I now utilize a blade-style putter, after using an Odyssey 2-Ball DFX for 2 years. The Odyssey was easily to line up and built plenty of confidence at address, but lacked in feel. The Gold's Factory is slightly harder to line up, but feels fantastic.

Trust me, I like it so much I have three of them... , one I re gripped with oversized Winn grip and it's even better, very very balanced putter... have not looked back after 15 yrs

-If it works for you, then it's fine, but personally I would not like a braced, tensed left arm. Firm, straight, but not ramrod straight. The flat left wrist is essential in making crisp, downwards, solid strikes, try to integrate it into your swings too. You may find that the balls spin more and travel straighter.

-Yep, no single putter is the best for everybody. Personally I now utilize a blade-style putter, after using an Odyssey 2-Ball DFX for 2 years. The Odyssey was easily to line up and built plenty of confidence at address, but lacked in feel. The Gold's Factory is slightly harder to line up, but feels fantastic.
    My game seems to be constantly evolving -- thankfully, in the right direction. I am using an extreme style in the totally stiff left arm, but for now I'll keep doing it because it has been highly effective. I had several "one putts" in today's round and for the past 4 years that was mostly unheard of in my game. I have also been chipping in at least 1 chip from off the green per round for the last 3 rounds. You guys would not even come close to understanding how big of a breakthrough this is in my short game. I believe breaking the 80 mark will come very soon.

IMO a stiff left arm has some distinct benefits. You defnitely don't want any movemement in your left hand throught the stroke. If you keep a stiff eft arm it's just a matter of rocking the shoulders back and through to get a nice straight roll. I think a stiff left arm definitely lends itself to a SBST stroke, are you SBST?

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    IMO a stiff left arm has some distinct benefits. You defnitely don't want any movemement in your left hand throught the stroke. If you keep a stiff eft arm it's just a matter of rocking the shoulders back and through to get a nice straight roll. I think a stiff left arm definitely lends itself to a SBST stroke, are you SBST?
    After hours on the "putting arc" I can definitely say that I am not SBST. But, whenever I rock my shoulders back, I do so along the same arc as I would my swing instead of trying to go straight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    You do realise your opinion isn't worth squat on this board right?
    If this statement is true , it is very sad that this would be. My knowledge and skill of the game is priceless , sht Im even funnier than you and would wear your arse out on the links. ...........But I doubt that my opinion is wht you call squat. I even gaurunphukintee that I can also throw a boomerang better than you thought you could . Jealouse ones still envy ......mofo
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Thread Information