|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

How many rounds have you played this year?

I always wonder how much other people really play or practice. So let's hear it.

I've put in 23 rounds since 5/1/04 (start of season for me in Minnesota). That's about 4 rounds every three weeks. I've spent plenty of time at the range...maybe 4 times per week at two hours a pop. I also have a net in my yard that hit at on occassion.

~QQ
    Last edited by Quentin; 08-30-2004 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin
    I've spent plenty of time at the range...maybe 4 times per week at two hours a pop.
    ~QQ
    Am I reading this correctly? You're on the range 8 hours a week? Lucky bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33
    Am I reading this correctly? You're on the range 8 hours a week? Lucky bastard.
    Yes you are reading it correctly and where are your stats?

~QQ

Yes you are reading it correctly and where are your stats?

~QQ
    ...Damn. I feel like I don't even golf compared to your 8 hours a week.

Anyway, I would estimate I've golfed 20 rounds this year, beginning around February. As for practice, I'm on the range maybe 30 minutes a week. No wonder I'm a scrub.

I golf pretty much year-round. Nearly every weekend since Jan 1, weather permitting, with many weeks with a 9-hole league round or 2 to boot throughout the summer.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

I am probably up to about 70 rounds this year (since Jan 1). It gets cold gere, but you can play in it. So I get a bunch of winter rounds in.

Probably 4-6 hours a week on the range as well. Plus 2 or 3 practicng weekly in my yard.

I am completely burnt on golf right now though. No mood to play, practice, or even watch it on TV. My stuff is in the basement and over the last 4 days I have not even swung a club. That is a record for me. I hope the desire returns. But I can't see it happening soon.

I'm in a year round golf region, and I play nearly every weekend, and usually at least once in the middle of the week. In the summer when the days are long, I can often sneak in a quick round on weekdays after work. Recently, I've been getting in at least 3 rounds/week, but in the winter it's usually just one or two/week. Golf is my therapy!

According to my USGA card, I have played 9 rounds this year. I only played 9 holes all of July due to other commitments. Hopefully I will get a lot in this fall. Buffalo summers are too short to only play 9 holes in July. I usually get the range about once a week for an hour to an hour and a half.

I have a problem.

I've probably played close to 80 rounds since Jan. 1. I play at least once a week, usually twice. Very often 3 rounds. I go to the range at least 2-3 times per week usually 1.5 hours per session. That's a little over 24 hours a month practicing. Add that to the 80 rounds @ 4 hours per. Finally, we add to that time spent watching golf on t.v. and I estimate I watch at least 3 hours a week of golf programming on t.v. That's around 96 hours since Jan. 1 watching golf on t.v. Also have to add in the Sat. and Sun. spent at Torrey Pines watching the Buick, that's 16 more hours.

Let's add them all up:
    Hours playing: 340 hours
    Hours practicing: 150 hours
    Hours viewing: 112 hours

Grand Total since Jan.: 602 hours devoted to nothing but golf (that's over 25 full days).

If my wife were to see this I'm a dead man.

This calculation does not take into account the time spent reading Golf Digest, watching TGC segments I've TiVo'd, and the time spent reading about golf on the internet.

In summary, I have a terrible addiction and that addiction is the game of golf.

Ploya:

You are in heaven my friend. That is awesome.

I get to play once a week - sometimes twice.

Like you - I have Tivo golf programs I watch fairly regularly and since I do not play on Saturday or Sunday afternoons in the summer - I watch almost all PGA tournaments. My wife is very good about this and watches with me. She has amazed me over the years about how she is able to pick up on a sport even though she has never played it and can analyze the game fairly well. College football and golf in particular.

According to my USGA records, I have recorded 33 rounds this year - right about once a week or so...

Here's my latest from GHIN
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ploya
    I've probably played close to 80 rounds since Jan. 1. I play at least once a week, usually twice. Very often 3 rounds. I go to the range at least 2-3 times per week usually 1.5 hours per session. That's a little over 24 hours a month practicing. Add that to the 80 rounds @ 4 hours per. Finally, we add to that time spent watching golf on t.v. and I estimate I watch at least 3 hours a week of golf programming on t.v. That's around 96 hours since Jan. 1 watching golf on t.v. Also have to add in the Sat. and Sun. spent at Torrey Pines watching the Buick, that's 16 more hours.

Let's add them all up:
    Hours playing: 340 hours
    Hours practicing: 150 hours
    Hours viewing: 112 hours

Grand Total since Jan.: 602 hours devoted to nothing but golf (that's over 25 full days).

If my wife were to see this I'm a dead man.

This calculation does not take into account the time spent reading Golf Digest, watching TGC segments I've TiVo'd, and the time spent reading about golf on the internet.

In summary, I have a terrible addiction and that addiction is the game of golf.
    Funny, as i was reading this I was thinking "must be nice to be single". Then the ...my wife...line. If I played like that and wasn't making money at it, I'd be a divorced man. In my dreams, I would be playing every other day and practicing the days I didn't play.

~QQ

I've just been blessed with a great job with very flexible hours, no kids yet, and I've had a little bit of disposable income in the last year or two since getting married.

When I think about it, it's kind of depressing for spending that much time and effort on the game I should be a much better player than I am.

I always wonder how much other people really play or practice. So let's hear it.

I've put in 23 rounds since 5/1/04 (start of season for me in Minnesota). That's about 4 rounds every three weeks. I've spent plenty of time at the range...maybe 4 times per week at two hours a pop. I also have a net in my yard that hit at on occassion.

~QQ
    Good lord. Playing that much you should be much better by now. I wish I could play that much, but I can't thanks to school and work. All the money I earn at works goes towards school so I have no money to play golf.

I have played about 6 full 18 hole rounds this year and they were all 78 or lower. If I played as much as you I would be a scratch player or better. But I used to play a crapload in highschool in order to get ready for the season. It took me fours years of this to shoot mid 70's consistently.

I do find other ways to practice though. Such as reading the Dave Pelz bibles and using drills and practice aids at home. I have found this combined with the on course practice helps me more than going to the range alone. When I practice, I stay on the chipping green for at least %75 of the time. If you are spending that 8 hours a week just hitting balls, then I'm telling you, you are wasting your time if you want to score lower. I shoot the same scores even if I am not hitting bad, because I get up and down routinley.

Woo, i, uh, cant really count all my rounds. I know i had a two week period in July where i played everyday, I played almost evryday this summer. Add that to what i played since january. I would guess maybe 35 or 40 rounds since jan 1st

As me being Canadian we only have about 5, maybe a touch more, months to golf, so I go as much as I can. I have about 40 rounds under the belt this year so far. Quite a bit less than last year because of all the rain we have been getting and the not so golfable weather. Last summer was very hot and dry, got about 80 - 90 rounds in. I don't spend anytime on the range whatsoever. I've hit half a bucket this year, and maybe two the year before. I do hit the putting green a little more, only if we are there early or I'm waiting for the rest of my group shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalion
    Playing that much you should be much better by now.
    I am. Considering I was an upper 90's player last summer and never broke 90. I hardly gave the sport that much of my time. I picked up the sport after college and really only palyed less than 10 rounds a year. This summer I decided I wanted to be better. I broke 90 in July and just broke 80 last week. I think that's much better...don't you?

~QQ

I can play all year here so I would guess I have 60 to 70 rounds in. As soon as daylight savings time starts we play once a week after work and play 27 to 36 holes on weekends. Practice time is hard to come by though. We don't have a practice range and the closest one is a half hour away. I still try to get there once a week but I don't always make it. My wife and I have been looking at houses for the last week and my only condition was we had to look at neighborhoods with decent courses and practice facilities. We've narrowed it to two subdivisions, Avery Ranch which is supposed to be the #2 rated public course in the country and Twin Creeks, a new Fred Couples designed course. I'm trying to get one of my playing partners to go over and try them out and if I do I'll try to get some pics.

How much do you play or practice?

~QQ
    I live in Ohio, which is not all that warm, and we are experiencing the wettest year on record. Even so, I've played on a course at least 70 times so far this year and hit the range 25-30 times.

My golfing year started on January 2nd and 3rd, when our temperatures broke 50 (I didn't) and I was able to get onto the course with no flags. Some of the holes still had snowbanks, and the water hazards were frozen (no problem with forced carries). Then it got really cold for a while, but I was back out in late February. Most of the semi-decent courses were (of course) closed until mid-March, so I played the indecent (not decent?) courses. Slip $5 under the door and play all day if you can stand it. Played every weekend in late Feb. and early March, sometimes twice on the weekend, and the temp never rose above 40*. Have to take a little more club, but hey.

Since the course where I have a membership opened in late March, I've played as many holes as I can get in 2 or 3 nights a week after work. Depending upon sundown and the traffic on the course, sometimes this is as few as 5 holes. Sometimes it's 7 holes, or 12, or whatever. 6 times this year I've played 27 holes in a day, and twice I've played 36 (mostly weekends). If the tees are all tied up or there's some huge outing or whatever, I hit balls or practice chipping and putting. I'll confess that I'm a confirmed practicer on the course, especially if there's people ahead who won't let me play through. If I'm not holding anyone up behind me and I can't play at my own pace, then I'll play extra drives, approach shots, putts.... Only the real/original shot counts, of course, but I can get in 100 strokes in 4 or 5 holes if the ladies' league is ahead of me. Our range and practice greens aren't the same as on the course, so if the course is pretty deserted, I'll do my practice on the course.

Reading the other posts to this thread, I'll answer the inevitable question about improvement. The answer is "some," but not huge improvement. With all the moisture we've had this year (almost no rain in April, then 8 in. in May, 12 in. in June, and 4-5 in. each in July and August), the course conditions have varied widely, so it's been hard to get into a groove. Still, lots of on-course practice and play (at least 50% of the time I do play it by the book) have greatly improved my tee-to-green. Putting suffers when the greens go overnight from lightning-fast to very slow, then I start losing confidence in the stroke, so I change my grip or stance, and thus it goes. I will say this: I'm in better shape this year than ever before, due simply to playing a lot (walking and carrying my bag) and moderate stretching-type exercises at home. With my commute of 40 minutes to and from work, the 8 p.m. sunset is starting to make it difficult for me to get in 9 holes a day. I'll have to take some vacation days here and there and try to pack in the holes on weekends....
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Thread Information