|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: To Oldplayer

To Oldplayer

Hey OP, just wondering if I were to bend my irons by 2 degrees(Mizuno MP-67), what possible harm could arise from the process ? (Like the irons getting brittle/weaker)

Thanks.

Are you talking loft or lie?
    2 degrees lie angle bend is no problem at all and is routine. You can't make metal brittle by bending, only maybe by applying too much heat.(sometimes they use heat to take heads off shafts, but rarely enonough to do any harm).
    If you are talking about bending to change loft, you will change the bounce when you bend them. For evey degree of loft you add or subtract you will change the bounce by one degree. Effectively changing the grind. If you bend the loft 2 degrees stronger for instance you will cause the club to want to dig more and visa-versa.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I was referring to the lie.

Thanks mate.

Just wondering too, if I were to bend the lie of cast clubs(PING S57) by 3 degrees, would it make a difference to the condition of the metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuno>Ping
    Just wondering too, if I were to bend the lie of cast clubs(PING S57) by 3 degrees, would it make a difference to the condition of the metal?
    You'll undoubtedly hear differences of opinion, but the rule of thumb I've heard repeatedly expressed by people who know a lot more about it than I do is about 2 degrees maxium bend for cast, and 4 degrees for forged.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

That is really on or past the limit for pings. you can bend cast clubs maybe 2 degree, but it is a risk; and more is definately a risk. It is possible to fracture the hosel or even snap it. Pings are pretty hard too, thats why the faces wear so little. Hence they use their colour code lie angle system. I wouldn't advise bending then more than 1 degree or a smidge more.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Hey Mizuno>Ping, do you know how awfully wrong your quote is? Shafts are the most important aspect of the club ! I seriously doubt that "Larry" is a Champions Tour player.

Or, better yet, just throw the damn PINGs away and forget about them.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Or, better yet, just throw the damn PINGs away and forget about them.
    Maybe bend them 5 degrees so they'll fit in a smaller trash can.
    GR lives...

That explains the superb durability of the PING clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona.G.Michelle
    Hey Mizuno>Ping, do you know how awfully wrong your quote is? Shafts are the most important aspect of the club ! I seriously doubt that "Larry" is a Champions Tour player.
    Oh hello newcomer, welcome to this cesspit, in which I doubt you will be staying in for long.

For your information, Larry is a very knowledgeable and honest person, whose words shall not be taken for granted but rather a path to the enlightening capabilities of knowledge and wisdom.

In other words, he's just a load of crap.

Oh hello newcomer, welcome to this cesspit, in which I doubt you will be staying in for long.

For your information, Larry is a very knowledgeable and honest person, whose words shall not be taken for granted but rather a path to the enlightening capabilities of knowledge and wisdom.

In other words, he's just a load of crap.
    Okay. I'm new to this forum, and I have yet to meet this Larry. So, how is Scotland ? I heard the weather's really harsh.

Fully utilizing your immense wisdom, OP, are the Callaway X-Forged '09 any good? My mate hit 2 shots of those, and immediately replaced his Mizuno MP-32s with the Callies.

Very disturbing.

Fully utilizing your immense wisdom, OP, are the Callaway X-Forged '09 any good? My mate hit 2 shots of those, and immediately replaced his Mizuno MP-32s with the Callies.

Very disturbing.
    Your friend sounds like a real knob gobbler. Although there is an urban myth that the Cally X-forged are actually forged in the same Japanaese foundry as Miura so maybe they were that good.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Very disturbing.
    The Callaway X are apparently endo forged. This is a large foundry in Japan and does quality forgings for some of the OEM's including Titleist and some Bridgestones, and the origonal nike blades for example. I haven't hit the X forged so I can't speak from experience, however they are being very well recieved. I doubt they are any better or worse than a lot of Japanese forgings including Mizuno (which are forged by Chou).
    I guess it comes down to personal taste about appearance, look at set-up, offset, topline etc. It the Callaways fit your mates eye then they would be as good a choice as any.
    This may sound like blasphemy to some, but in my experience when you get into quality forged blades and blade like players cb's there is not to much to seperate them.
    My Bridgestone tourstage Z101's and blades are forged by Endo and are soft as butter and the highest quality. They feel and perform as good or better than any of the other clubs in my collection.
    Last edited by oldplayer; 10-20-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Hello Mizuno>Ping, I was wondering where are the good courses in Scotland / Ireland, other than St. Andrews, Carnoustie, and Royal County Down ? I'm leaving for Scotland in 3 days for a week-long vacation, and then another week-long trip to Ireland.

Holy shinnidingdongs, a Black Nickel version of the MP-68 has come out !

Holy shinnidingdongs, a Black Nickel version of the MP-68 has come out !
    Sweeeeeeeeet !!!!!

Thread Information