|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Da Stat Attack

Da Stat Attack

My sarcastic juices are low today so I decided to have a geek post instead.

I was just having a nosey at the european tour website and the category leader stats caught my eye. We've had plenty of discussions as to what aspect of your game would contribute most to a good round, so I thought I'd measure the leader in each category with their relative position on the Order of Merit

Stroke Average - Ernie Els - 69.45 - #1 on Order of Merit

Driving Accuracy - Jarrod Moseley - 10.2% FPR - #115

Driving Distance - Ricardo Gonzalez - 313.7 - #42

GIR - Greg Owen - 14.1 - #106

Putts per GIR - Angel Cabrera - 1.697 - #6

Putts per Round - Rob Rashell - 28.0 - #102

It appears safe to say that other than the stroke average leader (don't need to be an einstein to work that out) - the only other category leader that shows well on the order of merit is putt per GIR (Cabrera)

Greg Owen who leads GIR stats is #111 putts per GIR - he must be bald pullin his hair out.

Finally I decided to browse thru Ernie's positon in each of the categories to see if there was 1 outstanding contributory factor:

Driving Accuracy #50
    Driving Distance #6
    GIR #2
    Putts per GIR #2
    Putts per Round #37

So...... emm . there ya have it

Great post, DI. I love stats...seriously.

You think this Owen guy realizes he should spend some more time on the practice greens?

Kind of tells you something about your scoring clubs. Those who can hit greens and putt are on top in world rankings. Thanks for the stats Dave.

~Q

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33
    Great post, DI. I love stats...seriously.

You think this Owen guy realizes he should spend some more time on the practice greens?
    Ya got me started now Bud ..... further investigation of Mr Owen's perceived putting problems show that he has 25.4 putts a round per GIR. So if he's hitting 14 GIR every round he's still coming away from them with less than 2 putts per hole (1.806).

Tho in saying that his average putts per round irrespective of GIR is 31.5 #188 which is 2nd last on the tour stats ... seems to suggest that when he doesn't make GIR he has an absolute blowout ......I'll ring him and let him know

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin
    Kind of tells you something about your scoring clubs. Those who can hit greens and putt are on top in world rankings. Thanks for the stats Dave.

~Q
    Yeah I agree Q, but then when ya apply the chicken and egg scenario ... what enables you to hit GIR .... the driving accuracy or your driving distance ? ...... is it easier to hit 5 iron from fairway or PW from semi ruff .... like all stats you can read a lot or nothing into them......

You as a 70's playa like meself realise that you gotta nail your scores when you're GIR ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ireland
    I'll ring him and let him know
    LOL. Tell him I said hi. Based on your further research, it may be fair to say this guy lacks mental toughness. If he's hitting GIR after GIR coupled with blowup holes, it would seem he lacks damage control a la John Daly.

LOL. Tell him I said hi. Based on your further research, it may be fair to say this guy lacks mental toughness. If he's hitting GIR after GIR coupled with blowup holes, it would seem he lacks damage control a la John Daly.

Ahem........Just to be sure about this ..... ya want me to say hi for ya and also that you think he lack mental toughness .... ya know the way slander actions start......

Obviously you'll want to say it with some tact, but the point needs to be made.

Don't mention anything about me, balloon animals, and his wife back in '99. Touchy subject.

Obviously you'll want to say it with some tact, but the point needs to be made.

Don't mention anything about me, balloon animals, and his wife back in '99. Touchy subject.
    LOL ...... Tact ?? ..... dunno if there's 1 person here I know of that does tact ...... haveta think of a euphemism for mental toughness .... emmmm .... thought process resilience ?

Thread Information