|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    17

    Drills to avoid "early release"?

    I've got a serious problem with an early release or casting, or whatever you want to call it. I need to work on retaining my angle closer to impact, and also keeping my hands ahead. Anyone know any good drills or swing thoughts to help with this? I know a bunch, but none are helping.

    I took a lesson, and we ended up with me aiming for a spot 6 inches ahead of the ball. This helped me to hit it pretty pure - no more fat shots, but I think I'm still releasing early, but at least it's now into the back of the ball, and not into a spot behind the ball.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pebble Beach
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    I've got a serious problem with an early release or casting, or whatever you want to call it. I need to work on retaining my angle closer to impact, and also keeping my hands ahead. Anyone know any good drills or swing thoughts to help with this? I know a bunch, but none are helping.

    I took a lesson, and we ended up with me aiming for a spot 6 inches ahead of the ball. This helped me to hit it pretty pure - no more fat shots, but I think I'm still releasing early, but at least it's now into the back of the ball, and not into a spot behind the ball.
    Sounds to me like you might need a stronger grip for starters. Keep up the lessons, but never forget that a strong grip will help you. There are many here who frown upon a strong grip and suggest that a woman's grip on the club will suffice to play well.

    I disagree. You need to have a good grip like a man. Women golf well, but those who do train their grip; they know. Honestly, buy a good gripper and it will be a good start on your way to golf greatness (with lessons, though)...


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    TPC at Heron Bay
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog_Cornelius
    Sounds to me like you might need a stronger grip for starters. Keep up the lessons, but never forget that a strong grip will help you. There are many here who frown upon a strong grip and suggest that a woman's grip on the club will suffice to play well.

    I disagree. You need to have a good grip like a man. Women golf well, but those who do train their grip; they know. Honestly, buy a good gripper and it will be a good start on your way to golf greatness (with lessons, though)...

    Are you kidding me?

    Do you even know what a "strong grip" is?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Green Vally Ranch
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    16

    OMG Corndog

    You know how you said you can't break 90 Corndog?

    NO WONDER WHY. I only hope you are kidding about that post.

    Take is from someone that shoots under 75 on a regular basis, your theory about strong hands is bogus. You will really have a 0% chance to be a great player with that kind of idea. You don't need hand strength around and on the green, infact it's a bad thing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Green Vally Ranch
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    16

    To Dave T

    As for casting the club, I think some training aids are good.

    Momentus - this thing is pretty heavy so it makes it way harder to cast the club.

    Kallasy Swing Magic - This is my favorite trainer and this also helps with casting, and slicing.

    David Leadbetter - He has really good swing theories and swing thoughts that help stop casting. Check out some of his DVD's/ Videos.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portmarnock Golf Club
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    16
    The best drill for learning how to release the club properly is also the easiest & it requires no gimmicks, gadgets etc. Simply take a wedge or a 9 iron and practice hitting shots with your feet together. This takes a little getting used to but you will soon get a good feel for how your hands should work through the ball. Spend a good deal of time doing this until you start to hit a high draw. Once you start to hit this high draw stand with your feet in the normal position (approximately shoulder with apart) and make your swing. You should notice that the ball now flies straight at your target (provided you are properly aligned).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mt. Aires
    Posts
    1,199
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikalion
    As for casting the club, I think some training aids are good.

    Momentus - this thing is pretty heavy so it makes it way harder to cast the club.

    Kallasy Swing Magic - This is my favorite trainer and this also helps with casting, and slicing.

    David Leadbetter - He has really good swing theories and swing thoughts that help stop casting. Check out some of his DVD's/ Videos.
    The Momentus and KSM are both good recommendations. I have both. With the KSM, however, make sure you also work hard on your 1 piece takeaway. The KSM has a way of ditching the 1piecetakeaway if you don't really concentrate on it.

    The drill above of feet togeather is also great. It really gives good hand movement and is also great for tempo.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kiawa
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    I've got a serious problem with an early release or casting, or whatever you want to call it. I need to work on retaining my angle closer to impact, and also keeping my hands ahead. Anyone know any good drills or swing thoughts to help with this? I know a bunch, but none are helping.

    I took a lesson, and we ended up with me aiming for a spot 6 inches ahead of the ball. This helped me to hit it pretty pure - no more fat shots, but I think I'm still releasing early, but at least it's now into the back of the ball, and not into a spot behind the ball.
    Dave, Here's a drill I've been using with good results. Got this one from Golf Digest I think.
    Grab a short iron, 7 or 8 right below the grip. Now make an abreviated practice swing trying to drive the butt end of the grip toward the target. If you cast, the grip finishes pointed backward and you end up in chicken wing position. I've been using this as a swing thought when I'm playing and it works. Takes a little getting use to, but my drives are about 20 yds. longer and irons are more solid. Hope I explained this ok.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    17
    Hmmm - the email notification feature on the site seems down again. I just logged into golfreview, and was surprised to see several replies, but I wasn't notified...

    Anyway, my responses to your responses:

    Corndog - that is a strange suggestion. Are you serious?

    Mikalion: I'll check those aids. I had a momentus when I was righty, and didn't use it much. I'm interested in the swing magic, though. If nothing else, it will make my collection of teaching aids even more impressive! Seriously, thanks for the suggestion.

    Noley: I think you misunderstand my problem. It isn't that I can't release, it's that I release too soon. My left hand (I play lefty) is so dominant, that it wants to release the club way before it should. I can easily hit a draw (or hook), but without the snap that you get from a delayed release. I'll try your suggestion, anyway, though - couldn't hurt, might help.

    DaveE: Sounds intriguing! But, I don't completely understand. With chicken-wing, wouldn't the grip be pointed up? Can you elaborate on what the correct and incorrect finishes are, with this drill?

    - Dave

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    17
    Ordered the Swing Magic, and the Medicus, while I was at it. Couldn't help myself. Anyone use the Medicus? I got the dual-hinge. I used to have one when I played righty, and thought it encouraged too much of a fanning-open of the club on the backswing. But, I'll try it again.

    And - DaveE - if you could elaborate on that drill you were talking about, I'd appreciate it.

    - Dave

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Classic at Madden's
    Posts
    271
    Rep Power
    16
    Dave,

    I can probably jump in and elaborate. What Dave is trying to get you to do is chicken wing your swing so you can get an idea of what it feels like to NOT realease early. If you can imagine the club in the position it's in at impact, you would simply want to move the entire club (top and bottom) along the path towards the target. To do this, you would need to bow out (or chicken wing) your left arm and elbow while hinging your right wrist.

    If I could bring up a different possiblilty. I don't know that's it's really possible to release too early if your swing fundamentals are correct. Are you turning the club over properly at the bottom of the swing? Try just concentrating on turning your right forearm over your left forearm at the bottom of the swing and staying behind the ball. It should happen naturally as I have found with my own swing.

    Just my two cents.

    ~QQ

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    17
    Ok, so I ~want~ to chicken-wing? I think I get it. Thanks!

    Regarding my release - I'm not talking about turning the hands over. I can do that fine - and can hook it easily. I'm talking about unhinging of the wrists. I want more of a delayed release.
    - Dave

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kiawa
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    Ordered the Swing Magic, and the Medicus, while I was at it. Couldn't help myself. Anyone use the Medicus? I got the dual-hinge. I used to have one when I played righty, and thought it encouraged too much of a fanning-open of the club on the backswing. But, I'll try it again.

    And - DaveE - if you could elaborate on that drill you were talking about, I'd appreciate it.

    - Dave
    Sorry for the slow response Dave, I've been out for a few days and am paying for it today. First, I have a Medicus and find it helps mostly with tempo.

    I had a feeling I wasn't explaining that drill with enough detail so I'll try again. The idea is to give you the feeling of proper club head lag and I do it mostly in slow motion. If you're holding the club just below the grip, the butt end of the club should be pointing toward the target at the halfway point of the downswing. At impact position hands should be leading the club head and at the halfway position in follow through the butt end of the club should be pointing at your stomach, below your sterum. Do the drill again and purposely let the club cast or release early. This gives you the chicken wing finish and shows the result of getting the club head ahead of your hands.

    I've been using the "thought" of driving the butt end of the grip toward the target as my primary swing thought when playing with good results. It may be helping me because I have a tendency to rush the clubhead to the ball sometimes. Hope this is a better explanation because I can't find the article to copy it.
    Dave

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    17
    Thanks, Dave! I think I understand, but I don't see why an early release will neccessarily result in a chicken wing. I can swing with an early release, but still have a proper follow-thru. I'm also able to release early and still hit the ball with my hands ahead. I definitely do like the "drive the butt end" through, though. I'm going to work on that the next time I go to the range. I also really need to work on keeping my hands closer to my body. Any suggestions on how to do that? My right arm (I'm a lefty) really wants to come down from the outside, which causes a pull. I remember when I used to play righty and my swing was feeling good, that I felt that I couldn't put any balls in my right pocket, because my hands were coming in that close to my body. I don't feel that way at all lefty, and I'd like to get that powerful "inside move" feeling back.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oak Valley
    Posts
    7,980
    Rep Power
    26
    I recommend either a Black and Decker or a Craftsman drill, with a 3/8" bit. If you release early, your partner applies the drill to your kneecap until blood flows. After 2 or 3 times of this drill, even I can remember not to release early.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kiawa
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    Thanks, Dave! I think I understand, but I don't see why an early release will neccessarily result in a chicken wing. I can swing with an early release, but still have a proper follow-thru. I'm also able to release early and still hit the ball with my hands ahead. I definitely do like the "drive the butt end" through, though. I'm going to work on that the next time I go to the range. I also really need to work on keeping my hands closer to my body. Any suggestions on how to do that? My right arm (I'm a lefty) really wants to come down from the outside, which causes a pull. I remember when I used to play righty and my swing was feeling good, that I felt that I couldn't put any balls in my right pocket, because my hands were coming in that close to my body. I don't feel that way at all lefty, and I'd like to get that powerful "inside move" feeling back.
    The "early release" in this case is a severe early release resulting in the casting move. It sounds like you have a minor issue with it. You might find that this also helps with your hands. It does promote an inside out swing path. I've fought a pull/hook for years as a result of the outside/in swing and it's gotten much better lately.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mt. Aires
    Posts
    1,199
    Rep Power
    17
    An early release can be totally taken away quickly and painlessly with a powerful leg move. I recommend the below device. Many say that they can completely close one of these with their thighs, but they are lying. I call BS. I am the only one on the planet who can close one of these, and that is why I am the only one on the planet who can drive 479 yrds, uphill and straight. I am now off to run a marathon, squat 400 lbs and tone my thighs. That is all.


    Please, just call me Schemp...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oak Valley
    Posts
    7,980
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcrowe
    An early release can be totally taken away quickly and painlessly with a powerful leg move. I recommend the below device. Many say that they can completely close one of these with their thighs, but they are lying. I call BS. I am the only one on the planet who can close one of these, and that is why I am the only one on the planet who can drive 479 yrds, uphill and straight. I am now off to run a marathon, squat 400 lbs and tone my thighs. That is all.


    PLEASE include photos of your theighs!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Arnie's "Army" and Tiger's "Pride"
    By Regulation Guy in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 10:27 PM
  2. Casting / Early Release
    By GuyWhoGolfs in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 02:55 PM
  3. How "Stiff" is The ProForce 65 "S"?
    By 24putts in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM
  4. "AAA" or "Mint" used balls: Any one tried them?
    By SlamMan in forum Golf Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 05:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •