|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Jack Nicklaus MacGregor Golden Bear Clubs

I've got a full set of these. Mid 70's I think complete with woods and putter. Can anyone tell me anything about these? These are just old outdated blades right? And no, there's no 1 or 2 iron...
    I actually played these for a season a very long time ago.

I pulled this pic of ebay I think it's the same thing....
    Name:  GOLDEN BEAR.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  7.2 KB
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Macgregor released a lot of clubs with Jacks signiture on them. I have a complete set too although earlier than these and only average quality. The woods are laminated which were the cheaper version. I think the ones you have are actually 80's or later. The 70's blades had a different shape on the back, more like the old MT series. The earlier Macgregor blades had a flat sole, that is no camber grind, so that is a giveaway if your blades are 70's or not.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Thanks OP I'll take some pics and post them. So these are classified as blades right? All this talk of hitting balls with a 2i blade I was thinking of taking the 3 or 4 to the range and seeing if I could hit it consistently. Lately though I've been making great contact with my MX200 shovels and I'm weary of doing anything that might screw that up. Kinda of like the ol' "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" thing you know?
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    Thanks OP I'll take some pics and post them. So these are classified as blades right? All this talk of hitting balls with a 2i blade I was thinking of taking the 3 or 4 to the range and seeing if I could hit it consistently. Lately though I've been making great contact with my MX200 shovels and I'm weary of doing anything that might screw that up. Kinda of like the ol' "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it" thing you know?
    Yes they are definately blades. and you will be able to hit them ok, but I don't know about how consistently. They will certainly let you know when you miss-hit a shot. The payoff is when you hit a sweet one out of the middle the ballflight and feel of the shot will be awesome. It won't screw up your swing. If you practice with these it will probably improve it.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Yes they are definately blades. and you will be able to hit them ok, but I don't know about how consistently. They will certainly let you know when you miss-hit a shot. The payoff is when you hit a sweet one out of the middle the ballflight and feel of the shot will be awesome. It won't screw up your swing. If you practice with these it will probably improve it.
    Cool! I'll regrip one today. I think they have the original grips.....Yuk!
    team obnoxious

OK here's my "new" blade. I didn't have a new grip handy so I took it to the range with the original grip today and tried hitting a few. Much to my surprise it was easy. What I didn't expect was the pretty dollar size divots I was taking. I don't normally take a divot of any kind with a 6 iron but these babies were perfectly square, after the ball divots. Was it because of the thin, sharp sole compared to my mx200 shovels?? When I went back to the 6i mx it was like cheating. So I think this is a 70's club from when I remember my dad using them. OP watcha think?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04046.JPG 
Views:	2489 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	2273

Name:	DSC04048.JPG 
Views:	2425 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	2274

Name:	DSC04049.JPG 
Views:	2439 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	2275
    team obnoxious

Blades take divots because of the thin soles. The shovels that most play have thick soles and just bounce off the turf.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    OK here's my "new" blade. I didn't have a new grip handy so I took it to the range with the original grip today and tried hitting a few. Much to my surprise it was easy. What I didn't expect was the pretty dollar size divots I was taking. I don't normally take a divot of any kind with a 6 iron but these babies were perfectly square, after the ball divots. Was it because of the thin, sharp sole compared to my mx200 shovels?? When I went back to the 6i mx it was like cheating. So I think this is a 70's club from when I remember my dad using them. OP watcha think?

Name:	DSC04046.JPG 
Views:	2489 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	2273

Name:	DSC04048.JPG 
Views:	2425 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	2274

Name:	DSC04049.JPG 
Views:	2439 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	2275
    Quick, get the 2-iron and start hitting it off the mat now !

Don't forget to post your video and enlighten us on how to play golf like REAL pros do.

Thread Information