|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

A GR blade v shovel challenge

With all the continuing debate about the merits of blades versus shovels, I propose a GR challenge to establish some facts. My proposal is for GR members to post their scratch and net scores over the next month or so, so we can get a more definitive answer to this age old debate. As most of us here don't list our true name and personal details for a reason, we will have to abide by the honour system when posting scores (only an absolute idiot would be dumb enough to give their real name, as this would let stalkers follow you home and start providing links to your scores). The only other issue would be defining which side of the fence you sit on. Obviously forged muscle back blade users and anyone with any type of cast clubs whatsoever know where they stand, but the line becomes a little hazy for guys using forged cavities. Personally I'd draw the line at MP series only being in the 'blades' camp, though there may be some who would agrue that some of the titty forged players cavities like 690CB should also be classed as blades.

Once we've thrashed out these minor details we can start posting scores. I'm looking forward to seeing how each type of player goes.

Should this be made a sticky?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    With all the continuing debate about the merits of blades versus shovels, I propose a GR challenge to establish some facts. My proposal is for GR members to post their scratch and net scores over the next month or so, so we can get a more definitive answer to this age old debate. As most of us here don't list our true name and personal details for a reason, we will have to abide by the honour system when posting scores (only an absolute idiot would be dumb enough to give their real name, as this would let stalkers follow you home and start providing links to your scores). The only other issue would be defining which side of the fence you sit on. Obviously forged muscle back blade users and anyone with any type of cast clubs whatsoever know where they stand, but the line becomes a little hazy for guys using forged cavities. Personally I'd draw the line at MP series only being in the 'blades' camp, though there may be some who would agrue that some of the titty forged players cavities like 690CB should also be classed as blades.

Once we've thrashed out these minor details we can start posting scores. I'm looking forward to seeing how each type of player goes.

NAH do you have a life. Go outside and play fooseball with your kids. Don't worry about your gay equipment.

GHD
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by groundhogday
    NAH do you have a life. Go outside and play fooseball with your kids. Don't worry about your gay equipment.

GHD
    During business hours GR is my life. Ever noticed that I don't post on weekends very often?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Novel idea NAH. I'm not sure you will get many takers although I would be glad to participate. The only issue is the one you alluded to. I am now bagging some Miura's. What catagory do the 201 cb's belong in?
    BTW the Miura's in the flesh live up to their reputation. The most superbly finished irons I have ever seen. They just ooze quality and they play as good as they look.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

To make this a true experiment with significant data, not only should we post scores over X time as NaH proposed, but we should play rounds with both forged CBs or blades vs cast GI irons and see how those two scores clash. To be more accurate, we should note the the portions of the score card that are pertinent to iron play; GIRs, distance to pins and fairways (when irons are used off the tee). You dont want a 3 putt to skew the number of a blade or cast iron because of the yippes or limp wristed buggery.

Since it is winter here in ye olde New England, the courses iare not as crowded. I think I shall borrow my dad's Nike Ignite cast irons and contrast them to the Titleist 690 CBs, I'll see if I can get at least 5 scores with each.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker

If we did we would find that there's 6 of us on this forum......
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Weather won't be cooperating over the next month for people in the northern half of North America. I would say England too, but the weather is always shite.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Novel idea NAH. I'm not sure you will get many takers although I would be glad to participate. The only issue is the one you alluded to. I am now bagging some Miura's. What catagory do the 201 cb's belong in?
    BTW the Miura's in the flesh live up to their reputation. The most superbly finished irons I have ever seen. They just ooze quality and they play as good as they look.

I'm officially jealous . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Weather won't be cooperating over the next month for people in the northern half of North America. I would say England too, but the weather is always shite.
    It's been gorgeous here in central/northern California lately. Cold Mornings 40* and 65* in the afternoon....Still getting free hot water with the solar
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    You cheeky f ucker, i will have you know its 90 degrees and balmy here.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    You cheeky f ucker, i will have you know its 90 degrees and balmy here.

Edgey
    the entire United Kingdom is barmy IMHO...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

For it to make any sense the irons should have the same shafts and be fitted for your swing.

I haven't played a round of golf in three weeks. Been to the covered range but we've had shiaty weekend weather. I also undertake swing changes in the winter. It's killing me right now. sunny and 55* but I'm sure it will be raining this weekend.

BTW NAH - 1) I'm playing Titleist so I'm sure my scores will be dismissed on GR due to the ban. 2) they are a progressive set. So WTF? CB or blade?

I will get the ball rolling by honestly posting my first round. I am sorry to say I shot my worst round in a long time yesterday. I shot 89 on a par 70 course. I feel like I hit it well enough to at least play to my handicap, but I putted like an absloute spastic with 41 putts. In my defence the greens were rolled in the morning and were very slick, and I had come off my home track that had furry greens slow as shite. Last week I was smahing it just to get it near the hole, so yesterday, as you can imagine, I was knocking them up to 20 feet by the hole with monotonous regularity and missing the return for a 3 jack.

Anyway, for this challenge that makes it:

1 round for the shovels.
    19 over on scratch.
    9 over on net.

Sorry to fellow shovel users, I let the team down on this one. I'll try to make amends at my home track on Saturday.

Finally got out on the course. First time in 3 weeks. Played 9 holes from the white tees 6400 yards. The course we played is very wet and got no roll. So it plays about the same as the blue tees in the summer. Shot 1 over, 37, w/ one hazard stroke bogey, one bogey caused by a bad drive ( hit a tree trying to cut a corner) and a 4" tap in birdie on 9. Only hit 4 gir's, 14 putts, and one sand save.
    Still not sure where you would count this. Honestly my iron play was crap and my wedges and putter saved the day.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Finally got out on the course. First time in 3 weeks. Played 9 holes from the white tees 6400 yards. The course we played is very wet and got no roll. So it plays about the same as the blue tees in the summer. Shot 1 over, 37, w/ one hazard stroke bogey, one bogey caused by a bad drive ( hit a tree trying to cut a corner) and a 4" tap in birdie on 9. Only hit 4 gir's, 14 putts, and one sand save.
    Still not sure where you would count this. Honestly my iron play was crap and my wedges and putter saved the day.
    Good score dude, congrats. But I don't think this would count in the challenge as it wasn't 18 holes and wasn't under competition conditions.

Well then you are going to have to wait until spring for most of us in north America. My season is over unil march.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Well then you are going to have to wait until spring for most of us in north America. My season is over unil march.
    That must really bite. There is still Larry in SoCal though. He can play all year round down.

I play all year round here in the Sacramento area but it is wet at times. After todays range sesh with my 6i blade I may jump in on this challenge soon. I want some newer blades than what I have though.
    team obnoxious

We play year around in Oklahoma thanks to global warming.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    We play year around in Oklahoma thanks to global warming.
    I'm with you Sooner, I don't believe everything I read. Global warming aint all bad. Although if you listen to the more lunatic fringe of this forum global warming is just another PR stunt of the Liberal left.

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    I play all year round here in the Sacramento area but it is wet at times. After todays range sesh with my 6i blade I may jump in on this challenge soon. I want some newer blades than what I have though.
    Haggin Oaks?

I play year round when weather permits. I will move up one set of tees though. The drives do not carry as far at 45*F and we get about 1 yard of roll or sometimes negative roll. We also play up in the winter due to the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Haggin Oaks?
    Yep. That's where I bought my GFF. How do you know of Haggin?
    team obnoxious

Thread Information