|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

It's Just a Sad Story on Internet Today

Further tragedy strikes the family of golfer Ken Green
    By Jay Busbee

Further tragedy for golfer Ken Green, as word has come that Green's son Hunter, a 21-year-old sophomore at Southern Methodist University, has passed away. It's the latest blow in what's been an agonizing year for the onetime PGA notable.

On Friday, Hunter Green was found dead of "unexplained" causes in his dorm room. His death is still under investigation pending further testing by the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office.

Ken Green announced his son's passing on his blog with these words:

Well, today is another sad day. I’m sorry to say that my youngest son Hunter has passed. His journey in life has ended and i can’t tell you how difficult understanding this is.

Green's blog, dedicated to tracking his comeback from a terrible car crash that killed two people and cost him his leg, is difficult reading, especially considering the way he used to approach the game. Green was once one of golf's most notable characters, good enough to play in the Masters and on the 1989 Ryder Cup team but wild enough to get into trouble half a dozen different ways. According to a 2003 Golf Digest article, his exploits included sneaking friends into the Masters in the trunk of his car, driving golf balls through sliding glass doors and chipping golf balls from hotel rooms to pools across the street.

However, along the way, he went through an expensive divorce, and eventually found himself $300,000 in debt. He fought his way back onto the Tour in 2002 through qualifying school, but wasn't able to stay there.

"You try to pay the debts off, but when you're not making money, it's hard," he told Golf Digest in 2003. "And then my IRS debt ... well, they don't have a prayer unless I do well out on tour. I'm getting 'play well' cards all the time from the IRS."

From there, things spiraled out of control. "Finally I got the mental yips full bore, and I lost it totally. I couldn't play. It's impossible to play when you have 20 different people in your brain trying to scare you. There's not one positive guy in there. ... Before I even got over the ball, I knew I was going to miss it. It didn't matter if it was two feet, four feet. It's just horrifying. Playing on a professional level, it's pretty tough. Having one moment is not a big deal. I was having them every time I was over the shot."

Even so, he was beginning to claw his way back. In 2009 on the Champions Tour, he played in 11 events and earned $123,906. In March, his seventh-place finish at the AT&T Champions was the first Top 10 finish since a tie for sixth at the 1996 U.S. Open.

But then it all went terribly wrong. In June, while driving home from the Triton Financial Classic in Austin, Texas, Green's RV blew a tire and careened into a tree. Green's brother Billy, his girlfriend Jeannie Hodgin and his beloved German Shepherd Nip were all killed; Green later had the lower part of his right leg amputated because of injuries suffered in the crash. He has spent the months since trying to work his way back to the golf course.

Deepest sympathies for Green and his family, and hopefully he'll be able to continue his quest to play competitive golf again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Further tragedy strikes the family of golfer Ken Green
    By Jay Busbee

Further tragedy for golfer Ken Green, as word has come that Green's son Hunter, a 21-year-old sophomore at Southern Methodist University, has passed away. It's the latest blow in what's been an agonizing year for the onetime PGA notable.

On Friday, Hunter Green was found dead of "unexplained" causes in his dorm room. His death is still under investigation pending further testing by the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office.

Ken Green announced his son's passing on his blog with these words:

Well, today is another sad day. I’m sorry to say that my youngest son Hunter has passed. His journey in life has ended and i can’t tell you how difficult understanding this is.

Green's blog, dedicated to tracking his comeback from a terrible car crash that killed two people and cost him his leg, is difficult reading, especially considering the way he used to approach the game. Green was once one of golf's most notable characters, good enough to play in the Masters and on the 1989 Ryder Cup team but wild enough to get into trouble half a dozen different ways. According to a 2003 Golf Digest article, his exploits included sneaking friends into the Masters in the trunk of his car, driving golf balls through sliding glass doors and chipping golf balls from hotel rooms to pools across the street.

However, along the way, he went through an expensive divorce, and eventually found himself $300,000 in debt. He fought his way back onto the Tour in 2002 through qualifying school, but wasn't able to stay there.

"You try to pay the debts off, but when you're not making money, it's hard," he told Golf Digest in 2003. "And then my IRS debt ... well, they don't have a prayer unless I do well out on tour. I'm getting 'play well' cards all the time from the IRS."

From there, things spiraled out of control. "Finally I got the mental yips full bore, and I lost it totally. I couldn't play. It's impossible to play when you have 20 different people in your brain trying to scare you. There's not one positive guy in there. ... Before I even got over the ball, I knew I was going to miss it. It didn't matter if it was two feet, four feet. It's just horrifying. Playing on a professional level, it's pretty tough. Having one moment is not a big deal. I was having them every time I was over the shot."

Even so, he was beginning to claw his way back. In 2009 on the Champions Tour, he played in 11 events and earned $123,906. In March, his seventh-place finish at the AT&T Champions was the first Top 10 finish since a tie for sixth at the 1996 U.S. Open.

But then it all went terribly wrong. In June, while driving home from the Triton Financial Classic in Austin, Texas, Green's RV blew a tire and careened into a tree. Green's brother Billy, his girlfriend Jeannie Hodgin and his beloved German Shepherd Nip were all killed; Green later had the lower part of his right leg amputated because of injuries suffered in the crash. He has spent the months since trying to work his way back to the golf course.

Deepest sympathies for Green and his family, and hopefully he'll be able to continue his quest to play competitive golf again.
    That is very tragic. I've never liked the guy but I do feel for him. He seems like one of those guys that just creates trouble.

I cried the part when Nip died.

Live Update !

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.4c0d076.html

Student who died at SMU was son of pro golfer Ken Green

An SMU student found dead in his dorm room last week is the son of professional golfer Ken Green, who was attempting a comeback after years of turmoil on and off the golf course.

Joseph Hunter Green's death Friday remains under investigation. It's unclear how the 21-year-old sophomore died or who last saw him alive.

Hunter Green, as he was known, had just started classes at Southern Methodist University's main campus after a semester at SMU's campus in Taos, N.M.

SMU officials have declined to discuss Green's death, citing the family's wishes and an ongoing police investigation. The Dallas County medical examiner's office has ordered toxicology tests that could help explain how Green died, but results could take several weeks. Officials have said there were no signs of foul play.

Late Tuesday, University Park police released a recording of the 911 call reporting Green's death. The caller told the dispatcher he believed Green might have killed himself.

"We got ... [an e-mail] this morning that sounded a little suspicious, and we came over to his dorm room and found him laying on the floor," the caller said.

Family members have declined to discuss his death.

Ken Green wrote on his blog Tuesday: "I'm sorry to say that my youngest son Hunter has passed. His journey in life has ended and i can't tell you how difficult understanding this is."

Ken Green could not be reached for comment. His oldest son, Ken Green Jr., said his father was "just not ready to talk right now."

Hunter's father also lost his brother and longtime girlfriend in a car accident last year. Green's leg was amputated after the crash.

Green was reportedly estranged from his son for many years, after a bitter divorce with his second wife and Hunter's mother, Ellen Baker.

Hunter's half-sister, Brooke Baker, lives in Dallas and graduated from SMU. She provided this prepared statement: "Lacking an earthly dad, Hunter was welcomed into heaven by his father God."

My sympathies are with ya, Ken.

Thread Information