|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

project x sting and putter length question

recently got irons shafted with project x 6.0. I get a severe sting from them, not every swing but enough to have me think about it. Is this normal? I have never had these shafts before have always had dg shafts and not experienced this with them.

also did a web fit that said i needed a 33.5 inch shaft for putter. I just got a new putter with a 35 inch shaft. Is there really going to be a difference, or just choke up a bit?
    nike dymo2 9.5 stock stiff driver
    nike dymo 3 wood
    callaway warbird 5 wood
    mp-68 3-pw project x6.0
    mp-t 10 52*/7 project x6.0 whitesatin
    mp-t 10 56*/10 rifle spinner wedge flex whitesatin
    ping iwi d66
    titleist nxt tour
    I think I love the mp68's (so far)

Project X's play stiff, and 6.0's are very stiff. They are meant to be hit with a sharp descending blow, taking a significant divot. If you hit them at all thin, they will feel very harsh. They don't even feel good with a flush, swept shot. They want that downward, divot producing swing in order to perform.
    I agree. DG's feel smoother than Project X's, as will almost any other shaft out there. I don't care for the X's for the reasons mentioned above.

6.0 flex in the Project X will play somewhere between stiff and extra stiff.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by riddle326
    recently got irons shafted with project x 6.0. I get a severe sting from them, not every swing but enough to have me think about it. Is this normal? I have never had these shafts before have always had dg shafts and not experienced this with them.

also did a web fit that said i needed a 33.5 inch shaft for putter. I just got a new putter with a 35 inch shaft. Is there really going to be a difference, or just choke up a bit?
    I am 5'6" and my putter is 32" from head to toe.... much better for me... I used 35" putter before, way too long for me, I cut it down to 32" and use fat grip... much much better for me

5'6 thats almost a dwarf. Do you use junior clubs...........

Since the putter is the most important club in the bag (according to the so-called experts on this forum) I would think that you should get a 33.5 inch putter and spend the extra money. 1.5 inches is a huge difference in a putter.

Quote Originally Posted by upanddownfromaballwasher
    5'6 thats almost a dwarf. Do you use junior clubs...........
    yes I do, are U jealous? hahahaha

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I am 5'6" and my putter is 32" from head to toe.... much better for me... I used 35" putter before, way too long for me, I cut it down to 32" and use fat grip... much much better for me
    I played 5.5 x for years, I,m 5' 9 and play a 33 inch putter. Dork is correct the shafts play nicely taking a divot, thin is harsh. There not for sweepers, but they produce a nice lower ball flight, which I like in the scoring irons. Think about some 5.5 or 5.0 shafts, I play a 5.0 in my 56 wedge and love it, plays in between reg and stiff.. Big cahange from dg shafts.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Since the putter is the most important club in the bag (according to the so-called experts on this forum) I would think that you should get a 33.5 inch putter and spend the extra money. 1.5 inches is a huge difference in a putter.
    Wrong, the putter is not the most important club in the bag. The vocal majority on GR consists of a bunch of hacks who need their putter to help them with their 1 putt pars. The driver is the most important club. If you need any clarification about anything else, let me know.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Project X's play stiff, and 6.0's are very stiff. They are meant to be hit with a sharp descending blow, taking a significant divot. If you hit them at all thin, they will feel very harsh. They don't even feel good with a flush, swept shot. They want that downward, divot producing swing in order to perform.
    I agree. DG's feel smoother than Project X's, as will almost any other shaft out there. I don't care for the X's for the reasons mentioned above.

6.0 flex in the Project X will play somewhere between stiff and extra stiff.
    Are you sure ? I play 7.0 and they feel great. Especially when you put a Mizuno / Honma "Triple-Satin Finish" combo on them.

What is a web fit?

Putter length can vary depending on the lie angle of the putter and how you like to setup to the ball. A good experiment to pick putter length is to setup to a putt and stroke a few balls. If you push or pull all your putts you can compensate by changing the length of the putter. If one length feels better than others but you still push or pull your putts you can adjust the lie angle. Make sure you are keeping a constant ball position or the other changes are pointless.

I don't think their is a correct way to pick a putter. You are trying to get the optimal combination of length, lie, feel and look for you. There really isn't a correct way to do it. When you find the right combination you will be able to set the putter behind the ball and consistently be aimed on line.

IMO, putter length depends more on stroke than height. I am 6' 1.5" and I had my putter cut down to 32 inches and it is only just short enough for me. I use a SBST Pelz endorsed style and as such I have my arms hanging down from the shoulders, so a short putter is essential. If you putt with your arms more bended you will probably need a longer shaft, around the standard 35 inches. As far as putter fitting goes, the only real rule is that if you get a Scotty you are getting ripped off. Apart from that it comes down to using lot's of putters until you find one you like.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information