|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Breaking News on McTits and Eye 2

Tour players accuse Phil Mickelson of 'cheating' with old clubs
    By Jay Busbee

The PGA Tour season's not even a month old, and we've already got our first major controversy. And Phil Mickelson has played exactly 18 holes, and he's smack-dab in the middle of it.

At issue are new club groove rules that went into effect on Jan. 1. Long story short: golfers were using specially-cut grooves on their clubs to spin the ball more sharply and play more effectively out of the rough; the penalty for putting a shot into the rough was thus minimized. So the USGA and the Royal & Ancient, two of golf's major governing bodies, decreed that such grooves were illegal and could not be used on Tour starting this year. (For more detail, check our handy guide to the new rules right here.)

However, golfers are expert at wiggling their way out of tough situations, and they discovered that a lawsuit Ping filed against the PGA Tour and the USGA way back in 1993 exempted wedges made before 1990 from the new rules. (Don't try to figure it out, just accept it.) Lo and behold, what should turn up in the bags of golfers like John Daly and Phil Mickelson but some vintage Ping Eye 2 wedges, clubs that are old enough to legally drink.

The golfers' decision to squeeze through the loophole hasn't sat well with many of their peers. "It's cheating, and I'm appalled Phil has put [the grandfathered club] into play," Scott McCarron, a three-time Tour winner, told the San Francisco Chronicle."All those guys should be ashamed of themselves for doing that ... As one of our premier players, (Mickelson) should be one of the guys who steps up and says this is wrong."

"I don't like it at all, not one bit," added Rocco Mediate. "It's against the spirit of the rule."

Mickelson conceded at a Wednesday press conference that while he knew the Eye 2 clubs didn't conform to the new rules, they nonetheless were legal, and that was good enough for him: "All that matters is it's OK under the rules of golf."

Ah, there it is: the "rules of golf." To a great extent, the USGA has no one to blame but itself for this situation. If the USGA allowed the Pings in, it can't then turn around and arbitrarily say they're not legal. Golf is defined by its rules, and selective enforcement here is no more justifiable than, say, taking a free drop when your ball doesn't end up exactly where you'd like it.

But ... golf is also a sport of self-policed rules. You call your own fouls. And from that standpoint, it makes sense that other players would expect Phil to step up and say that the spirit of the law ought to take precedence over the letter of the law. If he were to publicly distance himself from the clubs, plenty of other pros would, too.

Regardless, this is an early reminder of how it's going to be for Phil. In the absence of Tiger Woods, with the expectation that Phil will take over the No. 1 slot, every move he makes will be scrutinized, dissected and criticized. And if he wins, it'll only get that much worse.

Tour mate rips Mickelson for exploiting loophole [San Francisco Chronicle]

That's it. I thought more of that from Phil. Now he's just a cheatin' DB...
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    That's it. I thought more of that from Phil. Now he's just a cheatin' DB...
    who cares what scott mcarren said, he is a douche
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Jackson
    who cares what scott mcarren said, he is a douche
    The guy that lived next door to me when I was growing up caddied for Scott McCarren for about 4 years. Also, a few years back Scott McCarren played Serrano CC (here in N. California) for the first time from the tips and shot 62. I'm not sure where you got the idea that he's a douche but he sure can play golf. Hits it a mile as well. Speaking of douche, have you ever had a bad one nighter with a chick that had a foul smelling cooch? Can't they smell it?

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    The guy that lived next door to me when I was growing up caddied for Scott McCarren for about 4 years. Also, a few years back Scott McCarren played Serrano CC (here in N. California) for the first time from the tips and shot 62. I'm not sure where you got the idea that he's a douche but he sure can play golf. Hits it a mile as well. Speaking of douche, have you ever had a bad one nighter with a chick that had a foul smelling cooch? Can't they smell it?
    Oh man! I hear ya brutha! I've given some REAL QUICK mustache rides from dat!
    team obnoxious

Oh man! I hear ya brutha! I've given some REAL QUICK mustache rides from dat!
    Exactly. The only way to deal with a woman like this is to have them keep their jeans on and give you a tugjob. Just explain to them that you want to withold from real sex to make the relationship that much more special. At the same time, you as a man need a release and a tugjob is the perfect compromise. Come to some kind of agreement where she provides dinner and a tugjob and you provide the oil. Hey, this is 2010. Equality, right?

Exactly. The only way to deal with a woman like this is to have them keep their jeans on and give you a tugjob. Just explain to them that you want to withold from real sex to make the relationship that much more special. At the same time, you as a man need a release and a tugjob is the perfect compromise. Come to some kind of agreement where she provides dinner and a tugjob and you provide the oil. Hey, this is 2010. Equality, right?
    Amen! I would imagine Zo will be chiming in on this soon.....
    team obnoxious

Did someone mention my name?

Being from Italy, I may not be as sensitive to cooch odor as some of you. But there are times when even I have to keep the nostrils a good two feet away from the source. If the odor doesn't make it past two feet, I'll probably give her what she really needs, just not with anything I'd use for chewing. And when she's got the friend over, there's no drinking from the Red River, but I'll wade across it.

Often times the odor's just from her being so damn juiced from you for an extended period. So for me it's a burden that comes with the territory. But for the most part I've been blessed with sweet, odorless poon. I've only almost keeled over from crotch odor once, and there was a yeast infection to blame. That was f.ucking disgusting.
    GR lives...

Amazing how this thread went from square grooves to smelly gashes. Oh well, why ask why?

Amazing how this thread went from square grooves to smelly gashes. Oh well, why ask why?
    i personally have been purchasing ping eye two pw's for my own amusement on e bay
    DJ

ok so he is not a douche, he is probably passionate about golf but i just disagree with those who are opposed, those eye 2's have been available to play all of this time (29 years) and still legal. What about the pro who already had an eye 2 in his bag, is he cheating for keeping it in?
    DJ

Well, we could also address the appearance of the box. I'm pretty visual, so I'm more afraid of what they look like than what they smell like. I can convince myself the smell is ok sometimes, but I've seen things that have undoubtedly caused permanent brain damage.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Well, we could also address the appearance of the box. I'm pretty visual, so I'm more afraid of what they look like than what they smell like. I can convince myself the smell is ok sometimes, but I've seen things that have undoubtedly caused permanent brain damage.
    Right. I prefer the landing strip or small triangle. I don't like tumble weeds nor do I like bald as a billiard ball. Nicely trimmed is good. There really should be a class for this that all women are required to attend.

Right. I prefer the landing strip or small triangle. I don't like tumble weeds nor do I like bald as a billiard ball. Nicely trimmed is good. There really should be a class for this that all women are required to attend.
    Well stated. I'd only add that each twat has its own individual personality. Some look great bald, others need the hair. I'm particularly charmed when they can do tricks.
    GR lives...

Tour players accuse Phil Mickelson of 'cheating' with old clubs
    By Jay Busbee

The PGA Tour season's not even a month old, and we've already got our first major controversy. And Phil Mickelson has played exactly 18 holes, and he's smack-dab in the middle of it.

At issue are new club groove rules that went into effect on Jan. 1. Long story short: golfers were using specially-cut grooves on their clubs to spin the ball more sharply and play more effectively out of the rough; the penalty for putting a shot into the rough was thus minimized. So the USGA and the Royal & Ancient, two of golf's major governing bodies, decreed that such grooves were illegal and could not be used on Tour starting this year. (For more detail, check our handy guide to the new rules right here.)

However, golfers are expert at wiggling their way out of tough situations, and they discovered that a lawsuit Ping filed against the PGA Tour and the USGA way back in 1993 exempted wedges made before 1990 from the new rules. (Don't try to figure it out, just accept it.) Lo and behold, what should turn up in the bags of golfers like John Daly and Phil Mickelson but some vintage Ping Eye 2 wedges, clubs that are old enough to legally drink.

The golfers' decision to squeeze through the loophole hasn't sat well with many of their peers. "It's cheating, and I'm appalled Phil has put [the grandfathered club] into play," Scott McCarron, a three-time Tour winner, told the San Francisco Chronicle."All those guys should be ashamed of themselves for doing that ... As one of our premier players, (Mickelson) should be one of the guys who steps up and says this is wrong."

"I don't like it at all, not one bit," added Rocco Mediate. "It's against the spirit of the rule."

Mickelson conceded at a Wednesday press conference that while he knew the Eye 2 clubs didn't conform to the new rules, they nonetheless were legal, and that was good enough for him: "All that matters is it's OK under the rules of golf."

Ah, there it is: the "rules of golf." To a great extent, the USGA has no one to blame but itself for this situation. If the USGA allowed the Pings in, it can't then turn around and arbitrarily say they're not legal. Golf is defined by its rules, and selective enforcement here is no more justifiable than, say, taking a free drop when your ball doesn't end up exactly where you'd like it.

But ... golf is also a sport of self-policed rules. You call your own fouls. And from that standpoint, it makes sense that other players would expect Phil to step up and say that the spirit of the law ought to take precedence over the letter of the law. If he were to publicly distance himself from the clubs, plenty of other pros would, too.

Regardless, this is an early reminder of how it's going to be for Phil. In the absence of Tiger Woods, with the expectation that Phil will take over the No. 1 slot, every move he makes will be scrutinized, dissected and criticized. And if he wins, it'll only get that much worse.

Tour mate rips Mickelson for exploiting loophole [San Francisco Chronicle]
    This is no different than tiger having fans move a boulder (loose impediment -- my a$$) so he could have a full swing. Phil is staying within, and playing by the rules as set forthe by the PGA.

There was a big discussion on Golf Channel TV this morning about "grooves" design and they all agree that Phil is in "allowable" rules by USGA, so clearly he not cheating. I think Scott M should try to beat Phil rather than trying to say "I can't beat him because he's cheating" .. that's is non professional IMO... As long as It's legal in USGA than it's a level playing field... Scott M: suck it up and improve your game

Either way this is all good news for me. Not that I'm looking for a scapegoat or anything but if I do happen to come in 2nd place (notice I didn't say LOSE) I can b!tch and moan that FD is playing Ping Eye 2's and should be flogged!!
    The irony in all this is just too funny. I'm mean seriously. Will any of us ever hear the mention of Ping Eye 2's and not think of FamousDavis? CLASSIC!
    team obnoxious

Either way this is all good news for me. Not that I'm looking for a scapegoat or anything but if I do happen to come in 2nd place (notice I didn't say LOSE) I can b!tch and moan that FD is playing Ping Eye 2's and should be flogged!!
    The irony in all this is just too funny. I'm mean seriously. Will any of us ever hear the mention of Ping Eye 2's and not think of FamousDavis? CLASSIC!

I still say that Phil has the Eye 2 LW in his bag because he's been secretly reading GR and my insightful posts. Phil and I go way back.

I still say that Phil has the Eye 2 LW in his bag because he's been secretly reading GR and my insightful posts. Phil and I go way back.
    how is Phil's sister in the sack?
    DJ

Thread Information