|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Larry, I need your opinion (swing advice)

Larry, yes I have had three lesson in the last 6 weeks, and have spoken with my instructor, but I need to hear some thoughts from you, if you have a moment...

When I take my backswing, I am always extremely tense; now my question is, is the golf swing really as relaxed as a baseball swing, or a swing when you hit a hammer, punch somebody, swing a an axe?

For some reason I cannot get it into my head to believe that a golf swing is relaxed. My instructor told me to forget the whole straight left arm, because that is a myth. My golf instructor has told me I am too tense.

I feel like I will lose control of the swing, if I relax and let the club come back, rest at the top, and come down as my hips start to turn, without wrist movement, just arms...

Larry, I am just talking my thoughts out loud. As strange as this may sound, Larry, if a golf swing is a relaxed swing, this will be an epiphany for me.

Thank you sir.

spank

I'm not going to answer because I know you want to hear from Larry. But I'm a little concerned your poll may have led to his permanent departure.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I'm not going to answer because I know you want to hear from Larry. But I'm a little concerned your poll may have led to his permanent departure.
    Lorenzo, if you look at the poll, adding up those that love Larry and those that do not care, those that love Larry are way higher than those that claim to hate Larry.

Also, among those who voted to hate Larry, 5 of the voters are from the same poster, with different names, so it is a blowout in favor of love for Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    Lorenzo, if you look at the poll, adding up those that love Larry and those that do not care, those that love Larry are way higher than those that claim to hate Larry.

Also, among those who voted to hate Larry, 5 of the voters are from the same poster, with different names, so it is a blowout in favor of love for Larry.
    We allow Floridians to vote, why not aliases? Actually, you're right, Larry's winning the election. I just hope he knows it. If he made the same mistake I did, he might never return. I guess that's really up to his creator.
    GR lives...

Larry, yes I have had three lesson in the last 6 weeks, and have spoken with my instructor, but I need to hear some thoughts from you, if you have a moment...

When I take my backswing, I am always extremely tense; now my question is, is the golf swing really as relaxed as a baseball swing, or a swing when you hit a hammer, punch somebody, swing a an axe?

For some reason I cannot get it into my head to believe that a golf swing is relaxed. My instructor told me to forget the whole straight left arm, because that is a myth. My golf instructor has told me I am too tense.

I feel like I will lose control of the swing, if I relax and let the club come back, rest at the top, and come down as my hips start to turn, without wrist movement, just arms...

Larry, I am just talking my thoughts out loud. As strange as this may sound, Larry, if a golf swing is a relaxed swing, this will be an epiphany for me.

Thank you sir.

spank
    Hi Spank,

I don't read any of the posts on some threads, sorry guys. I don't waste much time.

Regarding relaxation, the lead arm must remain straight to provide a lever and to keep the backswing wide-- that is directly related to clubhead speed.

But the wrists must be relaxed enough that the club can "set" at least 90 degrees as we throw our arms behind us. But 90 degrees is sufficient-- watching Steve Stricker hit it 310+ while his club sets only just past vertical when his arms are horizontal. If the wrists are too rigid--the wrists can't set--and/or will release prematurely (casting).

The grip presssure sets the arm tension which sets the torso muscle tension. Too much tension ruins everything if the movement is restricted by contracted muscles.

That said, I have come to believe in rigorous adherence to the biomechanics of the golf swing-- in particular that the correct top position must be reached in order to trigger our brain and body to start down in the correct sequence. Reach a poor top position and swing OTT or some other bogus error-- MOST amateurs never get out of that cycle.

It starts with correct grip and setup. And that is a big subject because grip sets the wrists and impact position. Setup sets the "connectedness" so that the backswing can be made with the hands ALWAYS in front of our chest-- first so that a true top position can be reached (and not arms finishing it), and so the downswing will bring the club back to where it was at setup-- which is the secret to consistent accuracy.

This is why you saw Luke Donald with his upper arms tightly held against his chest at setup. His arms and his torso are tightly connected as he swings-- and that is the secret to his accuracy with every club. That is what VJ and others are doing when they warmup holding golf gloves or head covers under their armpits as they warmup. On the course where that would be illegal, they pull the loose material of their shirts up under their armpits and hold it there with upper arm pressure.

So we must be 'tense" enough to backswing correctly, to take it back on plane, to reach the correct top position.

Ask your pro how he stays connected --and if he is himself a good player, he does that and he will tell you his personal method.

Larry

Honestly Larry, I think what Spank wants is a neck rub. He's just too shy to come out and say it.....
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Hi Spank,

I don't read any of the posts on some threads, sorry guys. I don't waste much time.

Regarding relaxation, the lead arm must remain straight to provide a lever and to keep the backswing wide-- that is directly related to clubhead speed.
    You should maybe try that, then...

But the wrists must be relaxed enough that the club can "set" at least 90 degrees as we throw our arms behind us. But 90 degrees is sufficient-- watching Steve Stricker hit it 310+ while his club sets only just past vertical when his arms are horizontal. If the wrists are too rigid--the wrists can't set--and/or will release prematurely (casting).

The grip presssure sets the arm tension which sets the torso muscle tension. Too much tension ruins everything if the movement is restricted by contracted muscles.
    Nonsense. I can white-knuckle my grip and still keep my body more relaxed.

That said, I have come to believe in rigorous adherence to the biomechanics of the golf swing-- in particular that the correct top position must be reached in order to trigger our brain and body to start down in the correct sequence. Reach a poor top position and swing OTT or some other bogus error-- MOST amateurs never get out of that cycle.
    Reach a poor top position and it's harder to come down: because the position isn't the best one from which to start. But a correct top position "triggering" anything...

No. First of all, the idea of a static "position" is incorrect. You can move into that top position from various directions and thus be moving from it in various directions.

It starts with correct grip and setup. And that is a big subject because grip sets the wrists and impact position. Setup sets the "connectedness" so that the backswing can be made with the hands ALWAYS in front of our chest-- first so that a true top position can be reached (and not arms finishing it), and so the downswing will bring the club back to where it was at setup-- which is the secret to consistent accuracy.
    But finishing with your arms is precisely what your latest drill has you doing...

This is why you saw Luke Donald with his upper arms tightly held against his chest at setup. His arms and his torso are tightly connected as he swings-- and that is the secret to his accuracy with every club. That is what VJ and others are doing when they warmup holding golf gloves or head covers under their armpits as they warmup. On the course where that would be illegal, they pull the loose material of their shirts up under their armpits and hold it there with upper arm pressure.

So we must be 'tense" enough to backswing correctly, to take it back on plane, to reach the correct top position.

Ask your pro how he stays connected --and if he is himself a good player, he does that and he will tell you his personal method.
    What???? This is a first!

"Personal method", Larry? You've insisted over and over that all PGA pros teach things the very same way...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Classic Alangbaker post.
    A critical dissection of each sentence.
    What I'd like to know is how Larry has 731 posts while Alan only has 627. These numbers should be identical. Maybe Alan had vacation for a week, but according to Larry, he is an unemployed basement dwelling 40 year old virgin Canuck. No vacation policy with that job. A mystery to me...
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Classic Alangbaker post.
    A critical dissection of each sentence.
    What I'd like to know is how Larry has 731 posts while Alan only has 627. These numbers should be identical. Maybe Alan had vacation for a week, but according to Larry, he is an unemployed basement dwelling 40 year old virgin Canuck. No vacation policy with that job. A mystery to me...
    The math is disturbing for sure. There must be some sort of software gliche such that the total posts numbers are incorrect. And you can't account for the difference by taking into accounty those times someone else would shoot back at Larry. Alan always responds.

The only explanation I can come up with is, since Larry has admitted to lying about his posted scores, maybe he also lies about his total posts.
    GR lives...

The math is disturbing for sure. There must be some sort of software gliche such that the total posts numbers are incorrect. And you can't account for the difference by taking into accounty those times someone else would shoot back at Larry. Alan always responds.

The only explanation I can come up with is, since Larry has admitted to lying about his posted scores, maybe he also lies about his total posts.
    Probably related to that Flash Player virus that is sweeping the internet. Worse than AIDS from all reports.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Probably related to that Flash Player virus that is sweeping the internet. Worse than AIDS from all reports.
    The only thing I can think of is that Alan pursues Larry from forum to forum but there is a lag between when Larry leaves one forum and goes to another and Alan catches up with him. It may take Alan a few days or even up to a week to track him down by which time Larry already has a head start in total posts. Which is not hard to imagine when you consider the prolific responses Larry gets when he first arrives on a forum and the members are initially taking him seriously. This is the only thing I can think of to rationally explain the 104 post discrepancy.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    The only thing I can think of is that Alan pursues Larry from forum to forum but there is a lag between when Larry leaves one forum and goes to another and Alan catches up with him. It may take Alan a few days or even up to a week to track him down by which time Larry already has a head start in total posts. Which is not hard to imagine when you consider the prolific responses Larry gets when he first arrives on a forum and the members are initially taking him seriously. This is the only thing I can think of to rationally explain the 104 post discrepancy.
    This is probably the funniest post I have read. The idea of one guy leaving a forum and the other guy trying to pursue him, only to try and flame him is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    This is probably the funniest post I have read. The idea of one guy leaving a forum and the other guy trying to pursue him, only to try and flame him is hilarious.
    It is funny I agree. But this is no joke!

Welcome to the Larry & Alan Show!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Sounds sick, doesn't it? That's the reason Alan is blocked from posting in every DB I know of except this one.

He reminds me of an incident I had once downtown San Diego. We were on our way to a nice restaurant. A wino was sitting in a doorway, drunk out of his mind when my group passed by. "Alan" was begging for money. Instead of giving him a buck, I tell him "you're healthy, get a job!" And to my horror he gets up from the piile of puke he is sitting in and follows us, throwing his own feces, screaming, etc. We escape without having to kick his butt only because the bouncer of the restaurant threatens to do that.

Like that wino, Alan has no shame. He follows me relentlessly, stalking. I guess he will follow me as long as he can, throwing the same stuff.. He hates to confront that he was never successful and never will have anything... He hates me for his failures.

And yet he persists. I have ruined him a dozen times with a dozen moderators-- gotten him banned, nearly got his telephone and Internet access revoked in Canada, and yet he continues. When will he understand that against me he is in a battle of wits--unarmed!

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 02-08-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Sounds sick, doesn't it? That's the reason Alan is blocked from posting in every DB I know of except this one.

He reminds me of an incident I had once downtown San Diego. We were on our way to a nice restaurant. A wino was sitting in a doorway, drunk out of his mind when my group passed by. "Alan" was begging for money. Instead of giving him a buck, I tell him "you're healthy, get a job!" And to my horror he gets up from the piile of puke he is sitting in and follows us, throwing his own feces, screaming, etc. We escape without having to kick his butt only because the bouncer of the restaurant threatens to do that.

Like that wino, Alan has no shame. He follows me relentlessly, stalking. I guess he will follow me as long as he can, throwing the same stuff.. He hates to confront that he was never successful and never will have anything... He hates me for his failures.

And yet he persists. I have ruined him a dozen times with a dozen moderators-- gotten him banned, nearly got his telephone and Internet access revoked in Canada, and yet he continues. When will he understand that against me he is in a battle of wits--unarmed!
    LOL

Ah, Larry... ...there's that civil discourse we've come to expect from you!
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    LOL

Ah, Larry... ...there's that civil discourse we've come to expect from you!
    You are retarded.

Larry, I am busy, but in my spare time, I will, just for fun, find out everything about this nerd. I am glad to have an enemy I can work against again... shucks, I will even call a truce with Dorkman whilst I work against my new nemesis, alang...

touché retard...

P.S. Dorkman, it is a pleasure to meet you sir, and be your friend. And Larry, thank you for the advice; I sincerely appreciate it.
    Last edited by spanqdoggie; 02-08-2010 at 06:34 PM.

I have ruined him a dozen times with a dozen moderators-- gotten him banned, nearly got his telephone and Internet access revoked in Canada, and yet he continues. When will he understand that against me he is in a battle of wits--unarmed!

Larry
    Well, this jackass is on the wrong forum for these kinds of b!tch moves.

What a freaking nerd. Little nerd hater, hating the player and the game...

The kid's writing style is horrible, also; maybe an elementary English class will help.

Well, this jackass is on the wrong forum for these kinds of b!tch moves.

What a freaking nerd. Little nerd hater, hating the player and the game...

The kid's writing style is horrible, also; maybe an elementary English class will help.
    How can I possibly argue with someone who coins such bon mots as, "You are retarded"?

LOL
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Like that wino, Alan has no shame. He follows me relentlessly, stalking. I guess he will follow me as long as he can, throwing the same stuff. He hates to confront that he was never successful and never will have anything... He hates me for his failures.

Larry
    Larry,

We have finally come to the pivotal moment when you went over the edge into the abyss of insanity. I always thought your rantings may have been related to a traumatic experience in your life that caused you to become paranoid. All your ad-homonyn attacks (not just on Larry but on Poe and Kiwi too) seem to be linked to this incident. The only thing that seems to missing is your linking of feces throwing to passing parades.

I'm no psychologist, but this appears to be a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Now I know you truly do have an illness, I will try to go easier on you.

I hope you get the help you need.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Larry,

We have finally come to the pivotal moment when you went over the edge into the abyss of insanity. I always thought your rantings may have been related to a traumatic experience in your life that caused you to become paranoid. All your ad-homonyn attacks (not just on Larry but on Poe and Kiwi too) seem to be linked to this incident. The only thing that seems to missing is your linking of feces throwing to passing parades.

I'm no psychologist, but this appears to be a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Now I know you truly do have an illness, I will try to go easier on you.

I hope you get the help you need.
    I was going to ask Larry If he was actually in a parade when the wino threw his fesces at him.
    GR lives...

Not a Hacker said: "Larry, all your ad-homonyn attacks I'm no psychologist, but this appears to be a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder."

Hacker, it looks like you have a case of Post Traumatic Spelling Disorder, son.

Don't come to a gun fight with a knife, kid.

I am definitely coming after Alang, for sure; I will be on every post he writes after Larry like a fly on sh!it.

You should maybe try that, then...

Nonsense. I can white-knuckle my grip and still keep my body more relaxed.

Reach a poor top position and it's harder to come down: because the position isn't the best one from which to start. But a correct top position "triggering" anything...

No. First of all, the idea of a static "position" is incorrect. You can move into that top position from various directions and thus be moving from it in various directions.

alangbaker = Retard

Retard: You should maybe try that, then...

Spank: I think I will try a foot in your ass; how about that retard?

Retard: Nonsense. I can white-knuckle my grip and still keep my body more relaxed.

Spank: I do not want to know about your "white-knuckle" exploits to keep your body relaxed... I suggest a girlfriend. Oh, I suggest you remove the dildo from your mouth, also.

Retard: Reach a poor top position and it's harder to come down: because the position isn't the best one from which to start. But a correct top position "triggering" anything...

Spank: umm... WTF???

Retard: No. First of all, the idea of a static "position" is incorrect. You can move into that top position from various directions and thus be moving from it in various directions.

Spank: various directions and various directions and top position... WTF??? Do you see how retarded you are?

Alang, come to Daddy son. I am ready to play your game, and win it.

Jackass.

p.s. I am hunting a jackass.
    Last edited by spanqdoggie; 02-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Not a Hacker said: "Larry, all your ad-homonyn attacks I'm no psychologist, but this appears to be a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder."

I am definitely coming after Alang, for sure; I will be on every post he writes after Larry like a fly on sh!it.
    Shouldn't that have been "a fly on feces?" I know you were gone for a while spank but you really need to get up to speed on all of this.

BTW - I read Power to the People and The Naked Warrior. Both were good reads but a bit expensive for the amount of information. All of his books should be published under one cover for the price of one of his books. Also read the Cardio Strength Training. Great book for complexes, tabata and timed cycles. Good stuff.

Spank you can't become GR's spelling Nazi. Your old buddy Dorkman has that role all sewn up.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Has a thread started by, or about Larry failed to make the century mark yet? Granted, AlanG is good for at least 40% of the posts, but still, truly prolific.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Has a thread started by, or about Larry failed to make the century mark yet? Granted, AlanG is good for at least 40% of the posts, but still, truly prolific.
    I'm not sure if they all reach 100 but a minimum of 50 goes without saying.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Larry
    Kiwi, you must be a little jealous that someone else is sharing your title of Feces Thrower.
    Larry, as someone who is so very persistent in his Quixiotic attempt to find the perfect swing, you must have just a bit of respect for someone so persistent in other areas. Alan has been searching you out across multiple discussion boards to discredit you. Can't you respect that in the least? I think you should be the better man and offer him your forgiveness. Maybe the next time you see a house-challenged man outside your favorite fancy restaurant you will have the compassion to give a little. Who knows, maybe the good karma will help you with your golf swing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Kiwi, you must be a little jealous that someone else is sharing your title of Feces Thrower.
    Larry, as someone who is so very persistent in his Quixiotic attempt to find the perfect swing, you must have just a bit of respect for someone so persistent in other areas. Alan has been searching you out across multiple discussion boards to discredit you. Can't you respect that in the least? I think you should be the better man and offer him your forgiveness. Maybe the next time you see a house-challenged man outside your favorite fancy restaurant you will have the compassion to give a little. Who knows, maybe the good karma will help you with your golf swing.
    You have a good point. 99% of other flamers would have given up by now, as they wouldn't have had the dedication to practice flaming Larry's posts sentence by sentence as Alan does. But he has worked to ingrain this technique by dedicated practice including slow motion drills and it is now second nature for Alan. He can now bring this skill to multiple forums and execute under pressure in his quest to discredit Larry. DUH!

Now where the f#ck am I?

You have a good point. 99% of other flamers would have given up by now, as they wouldn't have had the dedication to practice flaming Larry's posts sentence by sentence as Alan does. But he has worked to ingrain this technique by dedicated practice including slow motion drills and it is now second nature for Alan. He can now bring this skill to multiple forums and execute under pressure in his quest to discredit Larry. DUH!
    It doesn't take a fake nuclear engineer to see that Larry and Alan love and need each other. Alan is the belligerent son and Larry is the stern father who is ashamed his seed turned into a Canadian basement dweller. Well, Larry, your children have to find their own path in life. C'mon, give son Alan a hug and let's get past all this ugliness.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Maybe the next time you see a house-challenged man outside your favorite fancy restaurant you will have the compassion to give a little. Who knows, maybe the good karma will help you with your golf swing.
    So true. What you give always comes back to you. For example, if you give a homeless man some food, it might be hurled back to you the next day in the form of feces.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

So true. What you give always comes back to you. For example, if you give a homeless man some food, it might be hurled back to you the next day in the form of feces.
    That's why I never give homeless people food. What I usually do for the guys that stand in the median and hold up signs asking for money is I offer them a 2x2 piece of cardboard and a large black marker. I tell them "you're sign looks a little old so I thought I'd provide you with a fresh piece of cardboard and some new ink". Surprisingly, this altruistic act is not always met with a gracious reply.

That's why I never give homeless people food. What I usually do for the guys that stand in the median and hold up signs asking for money is I offer them a 2x2 piece of cardboard and a large black marker. I tell them "you're sign looks a little old so I thought I'd provide you with a fresh piece of cardboard and some new ink". Surprisingly, this altruistic act is not always met with a gracious reply.
    I saw a guy holding a cardboard sign years ago that said "Hell, why lie. I need a beer"......I gave him a beer
    team obnoxious

Who drives a Miata?

I don't think anyone that drives a Miata should be chasing anybody down unless he is looking for a new boyfriend. Seriously, everyone knows that no car is gayer than a Miata: http://www.gaywheels.com/2006_mazda_mx5_miata_1.htm

Look how proud Alang looks below with his gay car. ;-(

Sadness... It is not even worth going after Alang if he has a Miata; I was hoping for a challenge. ;-( Who is the guy on the bench with a pink shirt and viking helmet... your life partner?

Go get a shower and shave...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gaymiata1.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	2347  

I don't think anyone that drives a Miata should be chasing anybody down unless he is looking for a new boyfriend. Seriously, everyone knows that no car is gayer than a Miata: http://www.gaywheels.com/2006_mazda_mx5_miata_1.htm

Sadness... It is not even worth going after Alang if he has a Miata; I was hoping for a challenge. ;-( Who is the guy on the bench with a pink shirt and viking helmet... your life partner?

You have to admit it.....he has GREAT calves....
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gay miata.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	2348  

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    I saw a guy holding a cardboard sign years ago that said "Hell, why lie. I need a beer"......I gave him a beer
    A beggar in London once approached me and said "Excuse me sir, could you spare me a pound?" I pulled out out a 50 pound note and said "You got change for 50?"

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    You have to admit it.....he has GREAT calves....
    Did he remove his left calf and insert it into his right calf? Look at the knee bones; crimony, I could wrap my hand around it. Those calves are not more than 14 inches around... you should have seen the sandals he is wearing.

Is that a purple bag full of dildos behind the front seats?

Alang, just grab your pink shirted friend, with the Viking helmet, and get off the dead lawn. Get a shower, give the Miata away and ride a bicycle; crap, get a tandem if your pink shirted buddy needs to commute with you.

Alang, nice rims, by the way.

How can I possibly argue with someone who coins such bon mots as, "You are retarded"?

LOL
    Retard, the punctuation goes INSIDE, like "You are retarded?" ... Not "You are retarded"? as you wrote it.

Is English your second language? If so, Alang, I will forgive your ignorance of the written English word.

Bon mot? Anybody that says bon mot, and owns a Miata is definitely flying with a broken wing; sh!t, I think you are flying with two broken wings.

Come out of the closet Alang; I have developed a survival mechanism here in San Francisco; I can spot a queer a mile away.

And take an English class, will ya? Sheesh...

I shamed my old neighbor into getting rid of his Miata. He also had a Mini Cooper and a Subaru. A trifecta of automobile gayness. He's also a Canadian but has lived here long enough to know better.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Still a Miata's not bad for an unemployed, uneducated, homeless, lonely Canuck loser who never achieved anything in life (except for owning a Miata) and vents his bitterness about his failings in life on golf DB against super rich and successful retired nuclear engineers with perfect golf swings. 99% of unemployed, uneducated, homeless, lonely Canuck losers who never achieved anything in life would be pretty happy with owning a Miata.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The problem I have with Japanese sports cars is that they suck. Beemers don't suck but they're strictly for yuppees and pretenders. And a Suburu....I'm not sure it's a car.

So much wasted metal. That said, all things considered, I agree with Kiwi.
    GR lives...

The problem I have with Japanese sports cars is that they suck. Beemers don't suck but they're strictly for yuppees and pretenders. And a Suburu....I'm not sure it's a car.

I've got a 350Z that rocks. Little bit of a stiff ride but handles great. It also has about the same horsepower as my full size truck.....
    team obnoxious

What are acceptable sports cars in the eyes of Zo? Don't say Italian, because while they are assumed to be acceptable, they are not viable options for most people without advanced nuclear engineering degrees or impeccable golf swings.
    I don't own a sports car, but I'd like to know what my options are.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Tend to agree with you but there are some exceptions. The Acura NSX is respectable.

What are acceptable sports cars in the eyes of Zo? Don't say Italian, because while they are assumed to be acceptable, they are not viable options for most people without advanced nuclear engineering degrees or impeccable golf swings.
    I don't own a sports car, but I'd like to know what my options are.
    Well, then pretending is ok. You can easily get away with a Beemer, because you own your own business. Particularly if it's an M3. But Japanese sports cars are typically imitation in all respects. The Nissan Z car is an exception. It has a heritage, looks and it performs.

But don't discount Maserati as an option. The motors are basically Ferrari and a successful guy like you, unless you're a real cheapskate, you can afford one. They're typically reliable, which is fortunate because they cost an arm and a leg to repair. But think about what's important. After all, you're married, you can't have p.ussie.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Tend to agree with you but there are some exceptions. The Acura NSX is respectable.
    I'll sit on the fence on that one. It did perform and was intro'd at a time and in a way that helped rekindle love for sports machines. But it looks so damn Japanese. Almost as though it was overcustomized.

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews...ra.nsx.500.jpg
    GR lives...

I'll sit on the fence on that one. It did perform and was intro'd at a time and in a way that helped rekindle love for sports machines. But it looks so damn Japanese. Almost as though it was overcustomized.

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews...ra.nsx.500.jpg

I'm glad I didn't buy a Japanese sports car. My VW Beetle is the best.

I'm glad I didn't buy a Japanese sports car. My VW Beetle is the best.
    There was one going down the road I saw several years ago that was backwards. The guy literally took the body and turned it around. 1960's model I think. Very funny.....
    team obnoxious

Also going for the Miata is that being a convertible must have it's advantages for tossing feces at the passing parade.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I don't know if you guys noticed, but it looked like there was a bucket of fesces in Alan's seat.

Perhaps Larry could post a Tai Chi driving video.
    GR lives...

Well, then pretending is ok. You can easily get away with a Beemer, because you own your own business. Particularly if it's an M3. But Japanese sports cars are typically imitation in all respects. The Nissan Z car is an exception. It has a heritage, looks and it performs.

But don't discount Maserati as an option. The motors are basically Ferrari and a successful guy like you, unless you're a real cheapskate, you can afford one. They're typically reliable, which is fortunate because they cost an arm and a leg to repair. But think about what's important. After all, you're married, you can't have p.ussie.
    This thread is a bit late since I bought a car in January. I looked at some BMW's, but ended up skipping them since the AWD ix models seemed immune to the economy. Every other dealer was basically blowing me from the moment I walked in the store. And I do love a good BJ.
    AWD was a prerequisite since I apparently live in South Canada.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

not ALL subaru's suck the Imprezza WRX STI is a pretty sick car other than that yeah they might but the STI's are good....

I have a Chevy Suburban (4x4) that has 250,000 miles on it. It's in good shape though and it's paid for. My wife drives a mini-van that has 160,000 and is paid for. We put the miles on our own vehicles after buying them with low mileage. I'd rather keep a vehicle in good shape and fix it whenever it breaks down than to go and spend $30,000 every 5 years or so.

I had a subaru while I was going to high school and college. It was my dad's "family car" before I got it. Whenever I finally gave it back to my dad, he sold it for $1,000 -- it had over 300,000 miles on it and never had anything wrong with it, but the brakes replaced once. My Suburban is already on it's 3rd transmission and it has had the brakes replaced twice!

I don't care what Americans say, other than maybe Toyota right now, we don't make them as good as the orientals do . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I don't really disparage any car, particularly if they're relatively affordable and reliable. Those of us that have any car are fortunate. But to be a true performance car, there are certain standards the little guys rarely meet, and some of their attempts have been pathetic.
    GR lives...

I don't really disparage any car, particularly if they're relatively affordable and reliable. Those of us that have any car are fortunate. But to be a true performance car, there are certain standards the little guys rarely meet, and some of their attempts have been pathetic.
    I'm in my mid-40s with two kids in elementary school. If I go out and buy a performance car, my wife would think I was definitely cheating on her. I'm not cheating on my wife and never have, so the last thing I need is for her to be thinking I am.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I'm in my mid-40s with two kids in elementary school. If I go out and buy a performance car, my wife would think I was definitely cheating on her. I'm not cheating on my wife and never have, so the last thing I need is for her to be thinking I am.
    I like my wife to live in fear that I may decide to cheat on her. She puts out more that way. Don't you teach this kind of thing as a counselor?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Holy sh.it. If you're not cheating on your wife and never have, why would you worry about her thinking you're cheating? I would think she's grown to trust you. But while she may not be trusting, you're indulging her in that regard which is almost as bad. It could be a big sado-masochism thing.

Sounds as though the two of you need marital counseling.
    GR lives...

I like my wife to live in fear that I may decide to cheat on her. She puts out more that way. Don't you teach this kind of thing as a counselor?
    The good ones definitely do. BTW, didn't you mention your wife only puts out in the Florida keys?
    GR lives...

For the most part American cars are total shite, but I gotta say, the European exotic sports cars just don't do it for me. In the early 80' they looked futuristic, now they look like what people in the 60's thought cars from the future would look like. Epcot/George Jetson-like. The new Chevy Camaro looks fukkin' sweet, and I'm sure that the 2 years you get out of it before the transmission crumbles would be fun.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Italian looks are always cutting edge.

http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/i...ismo-1-big.jpg

http://www.ferraribeverlyhills.com/c...ne-silver.aspx

You've got some middle-age crazy guys in some 20 year old F-s running around your area. Time to unbutton your leisure suit.
    GR lives...

There was one going down the road I saw several years ago that was backwards. The guy literally took the body and turned it around. 1960's model I think. Very funny.....
    The old VW Bus was a good one. That thing got 35 miles to the gallon as well. Of course, no airbags or other silly equipment. I agree that no man should drive a Miata. I was kidding about the VW Beetle. My buddy had a Honda Del Sol that I used to give him shite about all the time. The Ford Escape is another one that no man should drive. Toyota RAV4, Toyota Corolla, Smart Car, Mini, etc.

Italian looks are always cutting edge.

http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/i...ismo-1-big.jpg

http://www.ferraribeverlyhills.com/c...ne-silver.aspx

You've got some middle-age crazy guys in some 20 year old F-s running around your area. Time to unbutton your leisure suit.
    Those pieces of junk can't hold up a candle to my 1986 Yugo when it comes to performance and chick magnet properties....

This thread is a bit late since I bought a car in January. I looked at some BMW's, but ended up skipping them since the AWD ix models seemed immune to the economy. Every other dealer was basically blowing me from the moment I walked in the store. And I do love a good BJ.
    AWD was a prerequisite since I apparently live in South Canada.

If I lived in an area that got snow, the lifestyle difference would prevent the use of a sports car when it was frozen out. What'd you get? Most mfrs were definitelty traveling to Cok Suk to get cars sold, particularly in the case of inventoried suv's.
    GR lives...

For the most part American cars are total shite, but I gotta say, the European exotic sports cars just don't do it for me. In the early 80' they looked futuristic, now they look like what people in the 60's thought cars from the future would look like. Epcot/George Jetson-like. The new Chevy Camaro looks fukkin' sweet, and I'm sure that the 2 years you get out of it before the transmission crumbles would be fun.
    I don't know about those throwback muscle cars. It looks like you need to wear an 8 ball leather jacket and carry a switchblade if you are going to drive one. Just like you better either be Asian or under 20 to like to Subaru WRX things Pingman loves.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't know about those throwback muscle cars. It looks like you need to wear an 8 ball leather jacket and carry a switchblade if you are going to drive one. Just like you better either be Asian or under 20 to like to Subaru WRX things Pingman loves.
    hey now my favorite car is a 68 charger...

but i do like the WRX STI's very much, prob that and the Lexus IS250 are my fav new(er) cars...

Honda NSX are well known as being a SGI version of sports cars. They are too user firendly and don't offer the precision of a true sports car. They even come in automatic transmission, nuff said. IMO the best of the Jap cars is the Nissan GTR. In Oz they are known as Godzillas, and they are without doubt the poor mans super car. They sell for about 120k, and outperform any Euro car under 500k. I've seen them in head to head comparisons to mid entry porshces and they blow them off the road.

Sooner,
    Every wife always thinks their husband is cheating on them. Married woman need paranoia and melodrama (along with cask wine) to get them through the day.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Honda NSX are well known as being a SGI version of sports cars. They are too user firendly and don't offer the precision of a true sports car. They even come in automatic transmission, nuff said. IMO the best of the Jap cars is the Nissan GTR. In Oz they are known as Godzillas, and they are without doubt the poor mans super car. They sell for about 120k, and outperform any Euro car under 500k. I've seen them in head to head comparisons to mid entry porshces and they blow them off the road.

Sooner,
    Every wife always thinks their husband is cheating on them. Married woman need paranoia and melodrama (along with cask wine) to get them through the day.
    My wife doesn't think I cheat on her, and likely never will . . . . . . . . mainly because I'm bald . . . . . .

My wife doesn't think I cheat on her, and likely never will . . . . . . . . mainly because I'm bald . . . . . .
    My wife knows I'll never cheat on her......not since that tragic land mine incident that cost me all of my anatomy south of the navel.......

Fair enough, but I'm sure she will no doubt find some other avenue for her (as in all women) penchant for the melodramatic.

Fair enough, but I'm sure she will no doubt find some other avenue for her (as in all women) penchant for the melodramatic.
    I didn't say she wasn't melodramatic . . . . isn't this pretty much a gimme with all women? I will say though that I counsel with a lot of women who have passed the "melodramatic" barrier and crossed into the "psychotic" zone. I feel a deep realm of sympathy for the husbands that have to deal with "psychotic" wives . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    not ALL subaru's suck the Imprezza WRX STI is a pretty sick car other than that yeah they might but the STI's are good....
    The STI's are a 20's dream but they have some issues like a weak transmission, the turbo takes forever to spool up, and finally the interior trim is crap. Also I think they need a bigger wing. That will make it go faster. Fun car to drive and decent for the money but not a serious sports car.

Granted, the vintage American muscle cars are cooler than the throwbacks, but unless you are a collector or a mechanic, they aren't really a viable option. Those Eurosport things that Zo showed pictures of, while well made, scream Scotty Cameron Futura.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Sooner,
    There you go Zo, your maserati isn't a sports car because it comes in automatic.

I think your a little outdated on this NAH. Many of the new sports cars have automatic transmissions that outperform any manual transmission. The new automatics are dual clutch transmissions and shift much faster than any human can. When I first got our TT I thought the automatic would be a draw back. I even thought I could do a better job paddle shifting than the computer could. But I soon learned that the sport mode was much better than I ever could be. I think the Nissan GT-R has an dual clutch automatic transmission as well.

There you go Zo, your maserati isn't a sports car because it comes in automatic.

I think your a little outdated on this NAH. Many of the new sports cars have automatic transmissions that outperform any manual transmission. The new automatics are dual clutch transmissions and shift much faster than any human can. When I first got our TT I thought the automatic would be a draw back. I even thought I could do a better job paddle shifting than the computer could. But I soon learned that the sport mode was much better than I ever could be. I think the Nissan GT-R has an dual clutch automatic transmission as well.
    So if you had a set of clubs that hit the ball for you, golf would be more fun. As long as they performed better than you could without them.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

I'm just not a fan of the paddle shifters in general. My car has that mode, but I feel disconnected when I shift with the paddles. Something about using a clutch and stick always felt better. I also never intuitively know which gear I'm in.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'm just not a fan of the paddle shifters in general. My car has that mode, but I feel disconnected when I shift with the paddles. Something about using a clutch and stick always felt better. I also never intuitively know which gear I'm in.
    Are talking about being able to "bump" the shifter up or back to change gears? My 350Z has that and it's a blast to use. Great in the hills.
    team obnoxious

Are talking about being able to "bump" the shifter up or back to change gears? My 350Z has that and it's a blast to use. Great in the hills.
    No, mine has paddles on the steering wheel. My wife's car has the bump shifter thing you've got. I guess it's OK if you want to drop a gear.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

No, mine has paddles on the steering wheel. My wife's car has the bump shifter thing you've got. I guess it's OK if you want to drop a gear.
    The TT has both options. But seriously the computer is better at it than I am...

Granted, the vintage American muscle cars are cooler than the throwbacks, but unless you are a collector or a mechanic, they aren't really a viable option. Those Eurosport things that Zo showed pictures of, while well made, scream Scotty Cameron Futura.
    Those were definitely great cars, as long as you didn't need to turn. Like all Am. cars. The reality of today's world is you get more performance out of the current crop of F1 shifters than is possible with a true manual. If a newer car has F1-s with top specs, it's legit.

HS, you need an intervention.
    GR lives...

With that analogy you might as well buy a pair of running shoes because the car does all kinds of things for you. That's the point. It gives you a mechanical advantage. My S4 is manual and I like it and might even say I prefer it but what I was pointing out is that there are serious sport cars that have automatic transmissions or semi-manual gear transmission boxes. They are not the transmission of the past and they perform far better than a human can. One up that to a dual clutch transmission and you have faster shifts with continuous power. There is never a time where the wheels are not being powered by the engine. Seems pretty cool to me.

The fact is that all modern sports car worth their salt offer paddle shifting. The sales of the paddle shifters far exceed the manual variety. If the name is to go faster than there's no reason not to have semi-manual gear transmission boxes. Sorry to disappoint you HS but the manual clutch/manual transmission is on it's way out. They might be offered for nostalgia sake but not for serious sports cars.

Here's another semi-manual gear box. No clutch. Not sure if it has the computer control for a "automatic transmission" but most do.

With that analogy you might as well buy a pair of running shoes because the car does all kinds of things for you. That's the point. It gives you a mechanical advantage. My S4 is manual and I like it and might even say I prefer it but what I was pointing out is that there are serious sport cars that have automatic transmissions or semi-manual gear transmission boxes. They are not the transmission of the past and they perform far better than a human can. One up that to a dual clutch transmission and you have faster shifts with continuous power. There is never a time where the wheels are not being powered by the engine. Seems pretty cool to me.

The fact is that all modern sports car worth their salt offer paddle shifting. The sales of the paddle shifters far exceed the manual variety. If the name is to go faster than there's no reason not to have semi-manual gear transmission boxes. Sorry to disappoint you HS but the manual clutch/manual transmission is on it's way out. They might be offered for nostalgia sake but not for serious sports cars.

Here's another semi-manual gear box. No clutch. Not sure if it has the computer control for a "automatic transmission" but most do.

That horsie logo on the steering wheel.....I forget......is that the logo of FIAT?

Well said. It's about performance and sensation. Most people get this when they're buying condoms. I'm guessing HS uses wax paper.
    GR lives...

That's a Pinto right?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Those were definitely great cars, as long as you didn't need to turn. Like all Am. cars. The reality of today's world is you get more performance out of the current crop of F1 shifters than is possible with a true manual. If a newer car has F1-s with top specs, it's legit.

HS, you need an intervention.
    Or stop quickly. God help you if you need to turn and stop at the same time.

Well said. It's about performance and sensation. Most people get this when they're buying condoms. I'm guessing HS uses wax paper.
    Performance, I'll give you that. Sensation? Not so much. Wax paper, I think not. Driving a 6 litre v8 with an manual transmission is more fun to drive than the new robot cars. It's like riding bareback (had to use a reference Zo would appreciate)
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Here you go HB. 2003 Maserati Spyder with only 12k miles for $33K. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/1595261568.html

I've been amazed at the price of some the great luxury/sport cars right now. This car would have easily been 10-20K more if the market was up. Great deal. If you want I'll take the clubs down and see if they fit in the trunk for you.

Here you go HB. 2003 Maserati Spyder with only 12k miles for $33K. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/1595261568.html

I've been amazed at the price of some the great luxury/sport cars right now. This car would have easily been 10-20K more if the market was up. Great deal. If you want I'll take the clubs down and see if they fit in the trunk for you.
    Damn that thing is sweet. Might have a hard time fitting the kid seat in that.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

How old or better question how big is your kid? I have some kids in the neighborhood. I could find one about the same size and see if they fit in the trunk with your clubs. Just a thought.

How old or better question how big is your kid? I have some kids in the neighborhood. I could find one about the same size and see if they fit in the trunk with your clubs. Just a thought.
    I'm not against the idea, but kids have a tendancy to get bigger over time. I guess I could restrict her diet so I can still get that car.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Its a huge b!tchmove for a grown man to drive a sports car as their main vehicle. Sportscarasadailydriverguy is usually a first class a$$hole or poser. On the other hand, if its something you only take out on Sundays or the occasional date with your mistress, its cool. Real men require more space than those little b!tchmobiles have to offer. You will never catch a CEO driving around in a sports car...Maybe one of his over extended sales guys, but not him. Even your CEOs huge Caddy or Buick is a little b1tchy...your vehicle should have room to haul stuff, and really should be capable of going offroad if need be.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Its a huge b!tchmove for a grown man to drive a sports car as their main vehicle. Sportscarasadailydriverguy is usually a first class a$$hole or poser. On the other hand, if its something you only take out on Sundays or the occasional date with your mistress, its cool. Real men require more space than those little b!tchmobiles have to offer. You will never catch a CEO driving around in a sports car...Maybe one of his over extended sales guys, but not him. Even your CEOs huge Caddy or Buick is a little b1tchy...your vehicle should have room to haul stuff, and really should be capable of going offroad if need be.
    I definitely believe there are very few convertibles a dude can drive. Alan, a Miati is not one of them. 911's are of course legit, I'll even allow Boxters to a lesser degree.
    Purist, I'd have figured you for a Prius type of guy.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I definitely believe there are very few convertibles a dude can drive. Alan, a Miati is not one of them. 911's are of course legit, I'll even allow Boxters to a lesser degree.
    Purist, I'd have figured you for a Prius type of guy.
    No...I believe in the science of global warming and such, but I am one of the worst offenders when it comes to ruining the environment...I would probably classify myself as a prepneck...I probably have just as much in common with Boo Weekly as I do Ian Poulter.

I drive a 4x4 truck, use disposable diapers, drink bottled water, use plastic bags at the grocery store, I don't recycle anything, and I have never given money to any green organizations (or any other charity). I wish I was more into going green, but I'm all about doing whatever is easiest for me...I keep telling myself I'll change in a few years.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    No...I believe in the science of global warming and such, but I am one of the worst offenders when it comes to ruining the environment...I would probably classify myself as a prepneck...I probably have just as much in common with Boo Weekly as I do Ian Poulter.

I drive a 4x4 truck, use disposable diapers, drink bottled water, use plastic bags at the grocery store, I don't recycle anything, and I have never given money to any green organizations (or any other charity). I wish I was more into going green, but I'm all about doing whatever is easiest for me...I keep telling myself I'll change in a few years.
    Interesting. My wife is my moral compass. I figure the amount of good she does offsets the amount of bad I do, so hopefully I'll be swept up to heaven with her when the rapture comes in 2012.
    I also firmly believe that the world is going to end catostrophically very soon. Hollywood has been preparing us for awhile with images of the world ending, cities blowing up, etc. When it happens, I'm going to shrug my shoulders and be bored with it since I've seen it so many times.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'll probably go look at the car for you anyway. I like the lines but not into the red interior. $32K is quite reasonable. I wonder if I can jew them down?

Back on topic. Larry has a new swing posted...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5QiBwmIdHY It even has audio.

I'm not against the idea, but kids have a tendancy to get bigger over time. I guess I could restrict her diet so I can still get that car.

Maserati makes a whole line of kid friendly luggage racks. You gotta toughen them up early.

That seems like great deal and as though the car's been babied.
    GR lives...

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1

But you have to admit - they make great ashtrays.

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    But you have to admit - they make great ashtrays.
    True dat. Probably used more for smuggling dildos to Alang's place of of business... oops, I meant mom's house, where he lives.

Good thing, mom hasn't found out yet...

Sheesh, I am embarrassed when I have to drive my wife's car.

My ride is a Dodge 4x4 quadcab sport, with a rack and tool box... a man's ride.

Back on topic. Larry has a new swing posted...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5QiBwmIdHY It even has audio.
    Good work Poe.

Is that as good/funny as the tai chi video because it looks hilarious to me?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Good work Poe.

When my coach saw that video, all he could do was to burst in laughter.

Good work Poe.

Not quite in the same league. The TaiChi video was all one movement, done in slow motion. This one dosen't have the same ambiance.

You do however get the best look ever at our Larry in this one.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Thread Information