|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Hybrid Shaft Suggestions

Expecting some cheap shots here but I don't care...

I have a 20* Cobra Baffler Pro with a DG S300 shaft. I just put an order in for a set of titty CB 3-6 and MB 7-PW fitted with KBS Tour Pro x-stiff's. The hybrid is the only club that isn't a x-stiff shaft. I want to stay with a steel shaft but I don't like the x100 shaft and want to put a stiffer shaft in the hybrid to keep them consistent. I considered staying with the DG X100 but I don't like the way it loads. So has anyone have any experience with the KBS Hybrid shaft or another similar metal shaft for a hybrid?

Update:
    Titleist just informed my retailer that the LH club heads are on back order until late March. So much with being excited about having new sticks in two weeks....
    Last edited by poe4soul; 02-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Project X hybrid shaft, really wonderful.

Ever tried PING hybrids ? Absolutely wonderful - easy to hit, nice and simple set-up, long distance.

If you want to stay with steel I can't help you much. I tried that route with my fairway woods one time and it didn't last long. I can't imagine it being much different with a hybrid.

If you do decide to go the graphite wood shaft route, I would recommend the UST Proforce V2 75. Whenever I bought my Mizuno 4 wood, it came with one of these shafts in it in a regular. It is the sweetest feeling and performing shaft I have ever had in a fairway wood. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for your hybrid.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I looked at Project X on line. It doesn't appear that they make a steel option for woods or hybrids any more.

Why not just get the same shaft you have in your irons? Is the hybrid shaft too long for KBS?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I'm considering a KBS Hybrid shaft. Here's the link...http://www.kbsshafts.com/kbs_hybrid.php

Not much information about it on line. It's new and I haven't found any reviews. If I don't get any feedback I probably order it and try it out. I negotiated a free re-shafting of this club when I ordered my new set of irons. I just have to provide the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I'm considering a KBS Hybrid shaft. Here's the link...http://www.kbsshafts.com/kbs_hybrid.php

Not much information about it on line. It's new and I haven't found any reviews. If I don't get any feedback I probably order it and try it out. I negotiated a free re-shafting of this club when I ordered my new set of irons. I just have to provide the shaft.
    Never looked into the hybrid shaft but I'd say the iron shafts seem to work best for players that deloft a little and don't unload abruptly.

I hope you go for it as I've heard nothing about it and I'd consider trying it out too.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Never looked into the hybrid shaft but I'd say the iron shafts seem to work best for players that deloft a little and don't unload abruptly.

I hope you go for it as I've heard nothing about it and I'd consider trying it out too.
    I sure hope they are better at making the shaft than they are at marketing it. The information on their website is pretty basic.

I like the feeling of their iron tour shafts. I only got to swing a stiff shaft and I haven't tried their x-stiff shaft and I'm going purely on the recommendation of the fitter on this. He's been right on so far with the last two clubs I've purchased so we'll see.

I have to check to see that the tip diameter will work with the baffler pro. I'm guessing that it will be the best option and have a consistent feeling between the irons and the hybrid.

One of the advantages of the K's are there are many fit options. Hopefully your guy is up on all that in which case there's a fair amount of tweaking possible. I don't know how the X play, I'm using S and I really love the feel they give me.
    GR lives...

One of the advantages of the K's are there are many fit options. Hopefully your guy is up on all that in which case there's a fair amount of tweaking possible. I don't know how the X play, I'm using S and I really love the feel they give me.
    We'll see. The guy is a good fitter. If it doesn't work I'm sure he would be happy to replace them with stiff shafts for a fee. He's treated me well in the past. I plan on having the shaft replaced by the end of March. I'll let you know how they feel when I get the full set assembled.

I noticed that a few years ago when hybrids were still a relatively new thing steel shafted hybrids were pretty common, which makes sense as they are often replacing a steel shafted long iron. I never see steel shafts in hybrids anymore.

Good luck with your new sticks. Bummer about having to wait until March. You lefties get a raw deal.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I could see putting a graphite shaft in a 16* hybrid because you want to maximize distance like you would a 3 wood but it doesn't make sense for a 20* hybrid. I tend to think the same way for a 5 wood as well. At some point accuracy becomes paramount.

The bummer is I have to wait to the end of March.... I was hoping to get some quality practice in before out season opens. Oh well....

I could see putting a graphite shaft in a 16* hybrid because you want to maximize distance like you would a 3 wood but it doesn't make sense for a 20* hybrid. I tend to think the same way for a 5 wood as well. At some point accuracy becomes paramount.

The bummer is I have to wait to the end of March.... I was hoping to get some quality practice in before out season opens. Oh well....
    I'm sure they'll be worth the wait. Are they the latest model Titty CB & MB? They look sweet!

Did I read your first post correctly. Are you also getting the 1 & 2 irons?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I'm sure they'll be worth the wait. Are they the latest model Titty CB & MB? They look sweet!

Did I read your first post correctly. Are you also getting the 1 & 2 irons?
    They are the current model complete with the V grooves. I vacillated back and forth on getting last years Cobra CB's with the older aggressive grooves but I wouldn't have been able to get the MB's in the 7-PW - not available in LH. I have a hard time going to CB's in the shorter irons. Don't know if it's warranted or just mental on my part. It will be interesting to see if there are any distance gaps brought in from the head design. The specks on they 6 and 7 iron are identical as far as offset, loft, and looks.

Funny part is that I look forward to seeing how the grooves affect the play. I think some of the artistry of the game has been eliminated by the new deeper grooves. I know it's been fun to watch some of the pro's hit fliers and airmail the green. It will be interesting to see if they affect my HC.

You read it correctly but my bad. 3-6 CB and 7-PW MB. I've corrected it for the masses.

They are the current model complete with the V grooves. I vacillated back and forth on getting last years Cobra CB's with the older aggressive grooves but I wouldn't have been able to get the MB's in the 7-PW - not available in LH. I have a hard time going to CB's in the shorter irons. Don't know if it's warranted or just mental on my part. It will be interesting to see if there are any distance gaps brought in from the head design. The specks on they 6 and 7 iron are identical as far as offset, loft, and looks.

Funny part is that I look forward to seeing how the grooves affect the play. I think some of the artistry of the game has been eliminated by the new deeper grooves. I know it's been fun to watch some of the pro's hit fliers and airmail the green. It will be interesting to see if they affect my HC.

You read it correctly but my bad. 3-6 CB and 7-PW MB. I've corrected it for the masses.
    They had a Nationwide event on a tough links course out here a couple of weeks ago, and there were some very unusual shots coming form the rough. Apart from the fliers, I also saw quite a few very big first bounces from the rough. As I said the course was playing tough, but they seemed to have all sorts of problems controlling their ball.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

LOL - I can understand getting the 2 iron, maybe swap it out with the 20* hybrid occasionally but the 1 iron seemed a little extreme. I thought maybe you wanted to do some Larryrsf swing drills at the range with the 1 iron. But if that was the case you'd have ordered the blade.

As far as distance gaps go I love my set up even though the six iron MP-33 is 1* weaker than a corresponding MP-30 6 iron (32* vs 31*) but I have no trouble with the gap to my 27* 5 iron.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    LOL - I can understand getting the 2 iron, maybe swap it out with the 20* hybrid occasionally but the 1 iron seemed a little extreme. I thought maybe you wanted to do some Larryrsf swing drills at the range with the 1 iron. But if that was the case you'd have ordered the blade.
    In reference to LarryRSF,

"If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron. " - Lee Trevino

Therefore, we can all conclude, from Larry's 'stripping the ball down the center WITH NO ARM POWER', that Larry = Above Godliness.

Just remember, if you arent hitting a bladed 1 iron and using balata balls, you really aren't golfing. In fact, we should all hit the custom made zero irons with 13 degrees loft. Why try to enjoyb the game?
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

This has been discussed before. Just in case u missed it. The suitable shaft is FUJIKURA SAKURA http://www.golfshaftsasia.com/fujikura/sakura.php

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    This has been discussed before. Just in case u missed it. The suitable shaft is FUJIKURA SAKURA http://www.golfshaftsasia.com/fujikura/sakura.php
    Not for me. I hate these super light weight shafts. If you double the weight on that shaft I might bite but the price would probably be twice as much as the KBS hybrid shaft.

It's a hybrid, right ?

Yes a hybrid. Not a driver, not a fairway wood, not an iron, nor a putter.

I did a bit of research today and for what ever reason the cobra baffler pro has a .335 so the KBS is not going to work.

Jackson Course at Rock Barn in Hickory, NC
    Expecting some cheap shots here but I don't care...

I have a 20* Cobra Baffler Pro with a DG S300 shaft. I just put an order in for a set of titty CB 3-6 and MB 7-PW fitted with KBS Tour Pro x-stiff's. The hybrid is the only club that isn't a x-stiff shaft. I want to stay with a steel shaft but I don't like the x100 shaft and want to put a stiffer shaft in the hybrid to keep them consistent. I considered staying with the DG X100 but I don't like the way it loads. So has anyone have any experience with the KBS Hybrid shaft or another similar metal shaft for a hybrid?

Update:
    Titleist just informed my retailer that the LH club heads are on back order until late March. So much with being excited about having new sticks in two weeks....

I would simply go with the VooDoo. You already play it in the woods, and the kickpoint on the X-Flex is very nice. I am going to get one for myself very soon.
    In accordance with new rules...I play a 2x4 and a lead pipe.
    Listing anything golf related is a B!TCHMOVE.

Actually, the answer to the original question is an obvious one. As it is universally accepted on GR that hybrids are for limp wristed girly men, the only shafts to consider would be graphite in senior or ladies flex. If you use anything stiffer than that you shouldn't have a hybrid in the bag in the first place, and need to man up and get yourself a blade 2 iron, preferably GFF.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Austin
    I would simply go with the VooDoo. You already play it in the woods, and the kickpoint on the X-Flex is very nice. I am going to get one for myself very soon.
    I see, you're one of those x flex guys huh? I bet you wear muscle shirts on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I see, you're one of those x flex guys huh? I bet you wear muscle shirts on the course.
    Haven't you read Drew's posts in other threads. According to him, he's 6'5", built like a tank, and eats concertina wire and pisses napalm. His self appraisal is probably a bit on the humble side for a golf forum..

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Haven't you read Drew's posts in other threads. According to him, he's 6'5", built like a tank, and eats concertina wire and pisses napalm. His self appraisal is probably a bit on the humble side for a golf forum..
    I wonder if he's related to Steve Austin...a man barely alive. We can rebuild him. We have the technology to make the six million dollar man.

I wonder if he's related to Steve Austin...a man barely alive. We can rebuild him. We have the technology to make the six million dollar man.
    Wrong Steve Austin. I think this drew character sees himself more as the Stone Cold type.

Wrong Steve Austin. I think this drew character sees himself more as the Stone Cold type.
    I see him as the Lenny in "Of Mice and Men".

I don't think he has quite got the gyst of GR yet, and will soon find himself in the crosshairs of Spank, GHD and other resident trolls if he doesn't pull his head in. Not that being targeted by GHD is anything to worry yourself over.

Actually getting back to Stone Cold, is it a coincidence that Drew has taken the name 'Austin'?

In response to all:

I don't wear muscle shirts ever, at least not since I finished with football. That comment was rather cute, however. In response to the one about me pissing napalm...I am still smiling. That was extremely clever. And as far as Stone Cold Steve Austin, I am neither stoned nor cold, but whatever. I don't drink. Glad I was able to stir up some trouble in my first week around here. Have fun...I'm enjoying it. I wish I could piss off someone. The replies are much funnier that way.

In response to all:

I don't wear muscle shirts ever, at least not since I finished with football. That comment was rather cute, however. In response to the one about me pissing napalm...I am still smiling. That was extremely clever. And as far as Stone Cold Steve Austin, I am neither stoned nor cold, but whatever. I don't drink. Glad I was able to stir up some trouble in my first week around here. Have fun...I'm enjoying it. I wish I could piss off someone. The replies are much funnier that way.

Drew, you're not a Ma.sshole (vast majority of people from Massachusetts) are you?
    GR lives...

Drew, you're not a Ma.sshole (vast majority of people from Massachusetts) are you?
    I am in Virginia, if that makes any difference...?

In response to all:

Wish I could take credit for beng extremely clever. But in reality I'm just anal retentive, it's a quote from Heartbreak Ridge.

It makes a huge difference. Ok, you can pass.
    GR lives...

That is awful close to West Virginia though, do you have all your teeth and are you married to someone who is NOT your relative?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

too light. I think it's going to be x100's, s400, or another s300 tipped.

Played with a flight mate last Saturday. He hit hybrid. The color of the crown has faded. Recommended pink for the repainting.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    That is awful close to West Virginia though, do you have all your teeth and are you married to someone who is NOT your relative?
    We're good here. I was born in Dallas, TX, but have been in VA for the past 12 years or so. I am married to someone who is not related, and we both have all of our teeth. I am actually several hours from WV, but I do appreciate the concern. I am not fond of them, nor many of the idiots who live in VA that act the same. I swear they are all stupid. I want to move somewhere more intelligent, but at the rate the world is going now, it would take a space shuttle, and I can't afford that.

We're good here. I was born in Dallas, TX, but have been in VA for the past 12 years or so. I am married to someone who is not related, and we both have all of our teeth. I am actually several hours from WV, but I do appreciate the concern. I am not fond of them, nor many of the idiots who live in VA that act the same. I swear they are all stupid. I want to move somewhere more intelligent, but at the rate the world is going now, it would take a space shuttle, and I can't afford that.
    The people in Dallas wouldn't allow someone with no teeth. I lived in Dallas for two years and I've never seen so many beautiful people in my life. Great place to live and great golf courses everywhere. I can't imagine living in the South. I had a territory in Arkansas for awhile. Bentonville, Rogers, Fayateville and Little Rock are OK but once you venture outside of those cities you start meeting some strange looking/acting people. Being from California I felt like I was on another planet. St. Louis was another gem.

The people in Dallas wouldn't allow someone with no teeth. I lived in Dallas for two years and I've never seen so many beautiful people in my life. Great place to live and great golf courses everywhere. I can't imagine living in the South. I had a territory in Arkansas for awhile. Bentonville, Rogers, Fayateville and Little Rock are OK but once you venture outside of those cities you start meeting some strange looking/acting people. Being from California I felt like I was on another planet. St. Louis was another gem.
    Dallas is still my favorite place. You can have the "Big City" feel if that's what you're into, but it is still friendly and laid-back. There is so much to do, and, yes, the golf is great all over.

Wish I could take credit for beng extremely clever. But in reality I'm just anal retentive, it's a quote from Heartbreak Ridge.
    Great movie...gotta love the scene where he takes care of The Sweede.

Great movie...gotta love the scene where he takes care of The Sweede.
    My favourite line was when he told the Mario Van Peebles character "I'll tell you what's black and bleeding if it don't shut up".

Thread Information