|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

I am thinking Cobra driver for xmas or birthday..

I fight a constant slice that I get under control in a few holes,and start to hit slight fades.Only with a driver. When I set up for a draw, I overcook it, and the ball goes who knows where. My normal iron flight is a slight draw, as well as 3 wood and hybrid, which is a 5 wood to me. So i,m thnking who makes a driver, with a slightly closed face that is known for a draw ballflight. Mainly cobra, I use to hate the sound they made, but I guess for a slight draw I would put up with it. Any other drivers, anyone would suggest, in my quest, for a draw ballflight driver.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Cobra drivers are for guys that wear tank tops on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I agree with this, despite the fact that Cobra is the undisputed 'players' range of Acushnet, and their other brand Titleist is for the real no hoper hackers.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I agree with this, despite the fact that Cobra is the undisputed 'players' range of Acushnet, and their other brand Titleist is for the real no hoper hackers.
    The Titleist Kool-Aid guys usually have several things in common:

Very serious when they play
    All irons are in the correct compartments of their golf bags
    If they keep the clubs long enough to change the grips they are sure to use a Titleist logo grip.
    They've all had their shafts "spine aligned" which, as we all know, makes all the difference in the world.
    They all have a Cameron that's been sent back to the studio to have special paint fill put in the cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I fight a constant slice that I get under control in a few holes,and start to hit slight fades.Only with a driver. When I set up for a draw, I overcook it, and the ball goes who knows where. My normal iron flight is a slight draw, as well as 3 wood and hybrid, which is a 5 wood to me. So i,m thnking who makes a driver, with a slightly closed face that is known for a draw ballflight. Mainly cobra, I use to hate the sound they made, but I guess for a slight draw I would put up with it. Any other drivers, anyone would suggest, in my quest, for a draw ballflight driver.
    You should have no problem finding a closed faced driver. These days it is harder to find a driver with a neutral or open face. Callaway, ping, taylormade, nike etc. etc. all have many drivers with these "draw" specifications. The TM burner draw drivers have been pretty popular and can now be bought for a song. They are pretty solid and easy to hit. but as I said it won't be hard to find a draw type head, it's a bigger challenge finding the right shaft.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

The Titleist Kool-Aid guys usually have several things in common:

Very serious when they play
    All irons are in the correct compartments of their golf bags
    If they keep the clubs long enough to change the grips they are sure to use a Titleist logo grip.
    They've all had their shafts "spine aligned" which, as we all know, makes all the difference in the world.
    They all have a Cameron that's been sent back to the studio to have special paint fill put in the cavity.
    Very astute observations FD, you are definitely becoming born again smart.

Some of the other giveaways of a Titleist player are the Titleist Tour cap, the obligatory white belt to go with the top of the line golf pants and polo (usually done up to the second top button and with the collar up). And the driver and Cameron ALWAYS has a fancy brand named head cover. In Ausralia they always also have a Titleist stand bag (usually on a pull cart for some dumb reason). You can also notice them in the clubhouse at presentations too. They are the ones all sitting together drinking lemon squash and not geting up to receive any prizes.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

At impact you are obviously doing so with an open face...and you ARE right, a draw biased head should help.

But that does not cure the problem/cause.

Which is one or more of the following attributes:

1) Incorrect swing path
    2) Incorrect grip
    3) Equipment (i.e. shaft too long or stiff)

Since you are hitting your woods well, I would speculate the problem with the driver lies with suggestion #3.

Before you plop down a few hundred bucks for a driver, why not spend $50 for a pro to take a peak at your swing first?

Good luck!

I help a couple pga teaching pros out with vehicle issues, the one I had quite a few lessons with, the senior instructor, moved to another state for a club pro position. Its hard for me to take lessons from someone half my age, but they are all a bunch of good guys, and maybe they will put up with my arrogant @ss for a few lessons, thats one option. My current driver has been in the bag for almost 3 seasons, I keep buying tour drivers that set up open, tried a few neutral ones, maybe a little closed on the cgb max I tried, 2 mizunos one I hit so high I lost balls, another so short my 3 iron was a better club, a demo last season cgb max that I hit 3-4 hook slices, strangest ball flight ever. I have not tried the burner OP, but thats an option. I used to only consider pear shaped drivers, but they all got some weird crap on the market today. But a driver that looks somewhat traditional, has a draw bias, has a little mustard to it, could be an easy fix. I keep thinking about a few players I played with last season, one a doctor, he had this pansy a ss swing that went a ton, cobra driver. A one armed guy that hit consistent 240-250 yard drives cobra driver. A blue hair, could have been my grandpa that shaped every drive draw, fade, perfect drives cobra driver.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Hey indacup. it sounds like you're obviously in the industry. I guess I didn't see it earlier but where do you work?
    We just had an industry guy here, Primus. Good Guy. He got a little flustered when the GR shite talking happened, and It happens alot here. Be prepared. It WILL happen to you eventually. And don't try to be nice when it does. It will only prompt a verbal beating! It's just the way things work here. HA!
    Anyway, welcome to the GR
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I help a couple pga teaching pros out with vehicle issues, the one I had quite a few lessons with, the senior instructor, moved to another state for a club pro position. Its hard for me to take lessons from someone half my age, but they are all a bunch of good guys, and maybe they will put up with my arrogant @ss for a few lessons, thats one option. My current driver has been in the bag for almost 3 seasons, I keep buying tour drivers that set up open, tried a few neutral ones, maybe a little closed on the cgb max I tried, 2 mizunos one I hit so high I lost balls, another so short my 3 iron was a better club, a demo last season cgb max that I hit 3-4 hook slices, strangest ball flight ever. I have not tried the burner OP, but thats an option. I used to only consider pear shaped drivers, but they all got some weird crap on the market today. But a driver that looks somewhat traditional, has a draw bias, has a little mustard to it, could be an easy fix. I keep thinking about a few players I played with last season, one a doctor, he had this pansy a ss swing that went a ton, cobra driver. A one armed guy that hit consistent 240-250 yard drives cobra driver. A blue hair, could have been my grandpa that shaped every drive draw, fade, perfect drives cobra driver.
    I'm no pro but it sure sounds like you're try to fix a swing flaw with equipment......
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    I'm no pro but it sure sounds like you're try to fix a swing flaw with equipment......
    This is somewhat true, but I am also one of the most accurate drivers of the ball you will see, at least thats what playing partners say. Once in the groove, I can drop my crappy fade anywhere. 1-2 drives out of ten wil go straight, and my partners go look at that little draw and I,m like, thats no draw.

We've all got swing flaws.
    Sure he could persist with a driver with a neutral set-up, but he is aware of what is going on and is just looking for a little help. Nothing wrong with that. Once upon a time the driver used to be the hardest club to hit in the bag. Now it can be the easiest. That is obviously due to technology. We all use it, so why not get the technology that suits us best?
    Go for it Sandwich, there are plenty to chose from, good luck with your search.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Sure he could persist with a driver with a neutral set-up, but he is aware of what is going on and is just looking for a little help. Nothing wrong with that. Once upon a time the driver used to be the hardest club to hit in the bag. Now it can be the easiest. That is obviously due to technology. We all use it, so why not get the technology that suits us best?
    Go for it Sandwich, there are plenty to chose from,
    good luck with your search.
    Good point OP. And its like the old saying goes, its not about the destination as much as it is the journey!.......Oh too heavy
    team obnoxious

Hey indacup. it sounds like you're obviously in the industry. I guess I didn't see it earlier but where do you work?
    We just had an industry guy here, Primus. Good Guy. He got a little flustered when the GR shite talking happened, and It happens alot here. Be prepared. It WILL happen to you eventually. And don't try to be nice when it does. It will only prompt a verbal beating! It's just the way things work here. HA!
    Anyway, welcome to the GR
    Thanks! yes we are....I sent you via PM more details about us...I would share more openly, but I know this site has sponsors and I do not want to intrude with the business plan in place.

Thanks for the waring!...LOL I just like talkin golf...some people I've noticed seem to take things more personally and be more opinionated...which is fine.

Everyone is different...

As usual... correct your swing flaw first before getting a new driver... Buying a new driver is only a band-aid

Go for it Sandwich, there are plenty to chose from, good luck with your search.
    OP I picked up three drivers on fleabay one nickent 4dx evolver pro force v2 shaft, A cobra f speed driver aldilia nv shaft, those 2 are new. And you suggested a burner so I got a burner draw fuji shaft one round of play, so mint. ALL FOR 210 DOLLARS 3 DRIVERS. I hit the nickent not a fade in ten drives. I hit the cobra 5 pretty draws out of 8 drives, seems pretty long also. The burner is coming late this week, cant wait to take them to a heated range and hit all of them side by side.

OP I picked up three drivers on fleabay one nickent 4dx evolver pro force v2 shaft, A cobra f speed driver aldilia nv shaft, those 2 are new. And you suggested a burner so I got a burner draw fuji shaft one round of play, so mint. ALL FOR 210 DOLLARS 3 DRIVERS. I hit the nickent not a fade in ten drives. I hit the cobra 5 pretty draws out of 8 drives, seems pretty long also. The burner is coming late this week, cant wait to take them to a heated range and hit all of them side by side.
    Sounds great. I love experimenting with all types of options (drivers, irons, putters and wedges) to see what is the very best combo for me. You can always get fitted by a professional, and I would not be alone in recommending that. However the very best test is out on the course in a competition round. Without actually getting a range of clubs and playing with them this is not possible. In reality it costs comparitively so little these days to indulge this desire. Ebay has been a revelation in this regard. You can then unload all the stuff that you don't like and hopefully go close to breaking even.
    Good luck sandwich and have fun! Ho ho ho.

BTW I have a couple of Nickent 4dx (9 and 10.5 I think) pre-evolver, and they are still in my top 3 favorites. Not well aquainted with the cobras.

Sounds great. I love experimenting with all types of options (drivers, irons, putters and wedges) to see what is the very best combo for me. You can always get fitted by a professional, and I would not be alone in recommending that. However the very best test is out on the course in a competition round. Without actually getting a range of clubs and playing with them this is not possible. In reality it costs comparitively so little these days to indulge this desire. Ebay has been a revelation in this regard. You can then unload all the stuff that you don't like and hopefully go close to breaking even.
    Good luck sandwich and have fun! Ho ho ho.

BTW I have a couple of Nickent 4dx (9 and 10.5 I think) pre-evolver, and they are still in my top 3 favorites. Not well aquainted with the cobras.
    OP I paid 45 dollars us for a new 4dx It had a 199.00 tag on it, with all the nickent info, to extend the warranty by registering club. I,m pumped.

This is somewhat true, but I am also one of the most accurate drivers of the ball you will see, at least thats what playing partners say. Once in the groove, I can drop my crappy fade anywhere. 1-2 drives out of ten wil go straight, and my partners go look at that little draw and I,m like, thats no draw.
    That's why you're looking for a slice fix huh?

Quote Originally Posted by mentaloaf
    That's why you're looking for a slice fix huh?
    Meanie!!
    And I had you pegged for a nice guy.

Meanie!!
    And I had you pegged for a nice guy.
    You have to admit OP it sounds very illogical considering the premise of this whole thread...

Cobra drivers, when struck properly, sound like a home run in the College World Series.. in fact the Cobra is the louder of the two...

(for you foreigners, that's baseball, and as opposed to the wooden bats the professionals use, the collegiate bat is made of hollow aluminum tubing.)

(For you foreigners, that's ALUMINIUM... for some reason the USA dropped that second 'I' a long time ago.. too hard to pronounce when you're drunk, probably)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

You have to admit OP it sounds very illogical considering the premise of this whole thread...
    No, what he said is, he is very accurate in hitting a little slider (only hits 2 out of 10 straight). But although he can hit a fade pretty much where he wants he would like to hit a draw. Perhaps like me he is getting a little older and is looking for the extra distance.

No, what he said is, he is very accurate in hitting a little slider (only hits 2 out of 10 straight). But although he can hit a fade pretty much where he wants he would like to hit a draw. Perhaps like me he is getting a little older and is looking for the extra distance.
    Exactly op, not to mention I shape almost all my shots a little right to left, except the driver. My current driver was fitted for me 300 hundred dollar tp tour burner with a 200 dollar shaft, thats 500 dollars. As much as I like the club, it sets up a little open, and makes it difficult to hit anything but a nice fade, at least for me.

Exactly op, not to mention I shape almost all my shots a little right to left, except the driver. My current driver was fitted for me 300 hundred dollar tp tour burner with a 200 dollar shaft, thats 500 dollars. As much as I like the club, it sets up a little open, and makes it difficult to hit anything but a nice fade, at least for me.
    Why not go for a 2 driver set up, one draw and one fade? A nice fade is a good shot to have in your kit bag. I know it might cost you a bit of distance, but it's a nice go to shot for holes when you need to find the fairway. I would predict that if you found a driver which promoted a draw, you would soon get sick of hitting sideways from the trees, no matter how much further up the fairway you were. I can hit draws with all of my drivers, but I prefer to go for straight or a light fade. My perfect drives go dead straight. Like you I hit my irons with a draw (natural shot so I don't fark with it), but I think for driver the draw is overrated. If I ever hit a draw on the course with driver, it's a miscue that is more than likely heading for the trees.

Why not go for a 2 driver set up, one draw and one fade? A nice fade is a good shot to have in your kit bag. I know it might cost you a bit of distance, but it's a nice go to shot for holes when you need to find the fairway. I would predict that if you found a driver which promoted a draw, you would soon get sick of hitting sideways from the trees, no matter how much further up the fairway you were. I can hit draws with all of my drivers, but I prefer to go for straight or a light fade. My perfect drives go dead straight. Like you I hit my irons with a draw (natural shot so I don't fark with it), but I think for driver the draw is overrated. If I ever hit a draw on the course with driver, it's a miscue that is more than likely heading for the trees.
    I would be happy with mostly straight drives, a little draw when you can get away with it, and a fade when its needed. My objective is to find a driver that does it all, and for me a draw bias driver must be the answer. I have bought 4 drivers in the last 2 weeks and I have not spent a dime over 250 dollars. The nickent looks to be a low budget gem. The Cobra f speed might be a little to draw bias, but I hit an intentional fade a couple times with it. I got another Cobra, a 414 comp that supposedly sets up neutral on its way. The burner draw should be here today, screw getting fitted for five hundred dollar drivers. I thought about the other option, some lessons with the driver, than whats that gonna do to my iron play, screw it up, maybe, maybe not.

"..... The nickent looks to be a low budget gem. ...".
    Now that Nickent is out of business, RockbottomGolf purchased their remaining inventory and should be in house within a couple weeks...look for some insanely low prices then.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    Now that Nickent is out of business, RockbottomGolf purchased their remaining inventory and should be in house within a couple weeks...look for some insanely low prices then.
    45.00 dollars I paid, is a joke for such a nice driver. The 4dx evolver has interchangable shafts as well. You can custom fit this driver yourself, cheap. I believe I saw one with 6 shafts, and driver, new for 199.00 or less.

Ifs thats the case, I,m getting fit for a tank top. These Cobra drivers rock. I hit some 270 yard draws in 16 degree weather, with cold balls. The sound is sweeter than I realized, and it will only get better.

45.00 dollars I paid, is a joke for such a nice driver. The 4dx evolver has interchangable shafts as well. You can custom fit this driver yourself, cheap. I believe I saw one with 6 shafts, and driver, new for 199.00 or less.
    Thats a great price! Good find!

But don't kid yourself into thinking that swapping out shafts is the same thing as "custom fit".

Swapping out shafts of predetermined characteristic does not allow you to adjust, length, static or swing weight, kick points, torque, or any other key profiling points. Nor can you assure accurate spine alignment or flo qualities.

The driver is a great deal...but should you want to make adjustments, I recommend you go to a local, UNBIASED fitter, and let him review your swing and recommend a good combo.

Ifs thats the case, I,m getting fit for a tank top. These Cobra drivers rock. I hit some 270 yard draws in 16 degree weather, with cold balls. The sound is sweeter than I realized, and it will only get better.
    Nice...which one did you get? I tried the offset one when I was trying everything to eliminate my slice but it didn't do anything for me...The ZL one looks pretty space age, is that the one you got?

Nice...which one did you get? I tried the offset one when I was trying everything to eliminate my slice but it didn't do anything for me...The ZL one looks pretty space age, is that the one you got?
    I purchased one new cobra f speed, a few years old, but new in the plastic. It does not set up as closed as some of the newer ld offset models. The other one is a 414 cc head comp version, very hard to find, check the perfect reviews on that one, and the near perfect reviews on the f speed. Both have eliminated my slice, everything draws, no hooks so far, just pretty little draws. They look so appealing at set up, nothing like the 460 monsters out today. The f speed is a 460 head that looks so small, huge sweet spot though. I bought a taylormade burner, its so huge, compared to the cobras, I have not been able to hit it yet. The x speed cobra is the next one on my list, for faster swingers, thinking of buying that one also. I paid 112.00 dollars for the 2 cobras, one new , one like new . 2-4 year old technology that rocks.

I purchased one new cobra f speed, a few years old, but new in the plastic. It does not set up as closed as some of the newer ld offset models. The other one is a 414 cc head comp version, very hard to find, check the perfect reviews on that one, and the near perfect reviews on the f speed. Both have eliminated my slice, everything draws, no hooks so far, just pretty little draws. They look so appealing at set up, nothing like the 460 monsters out today. The f speed is a 460 head that looks so small, huge sweet spot though. I bought a taylormade burner, its so huge, compared to the cobras, I have not been able to hit it yet. The x speed cobra is the next one on my list, for faster swingers, thinking of buying that one also. I paid 112.00 dollars for the 2 cobras, one new , one like new . 2-4 year old technology that rocks.
    Does it have the dimples? I had one with dimples. Some people don't like those, I kind of liked how they looked..

Does it have the dimples? I had one with dimples. Some people don't like those, I kind of liked how they looked..
    Yes they have a pair of dimples on the crown. Looks kind of cool actually, almost sexual, but being I,m male and think of sex about once every 11 or 12 seconds, well enough of that. Some of these newer drivers are, correct me if I,m wrong in my spelling, an abomonation, there hideous to look at. For the longest I refused to hit a 460 driver. The f speed says write on it for 125 -155 mph ball speeds. I tore off the other sticker which stated if your swing speed falls in between 88-104 mph this clubs for you. The x speed is geared for sligthly faster swing speeds, sets up pretty much neutral for 0-20 cappers with a swing speed of 98 mph, I think it claimed average drives are 267 yards with straight to slightly draw ball flight, for players who like to work the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    I hadn't heard about this. I had noticed a few local pros here who used to be Nickent staff wearing different gear. This would explain why.

I might keep my eye out on ebay, Nickent drivers are absolutely awesome. I'm surprised that they went bust, I thought their driver sales would have kept them afloat. Over here you see heaps of them around, especially in the bags of low markers.

On the subject of drivers, I was hitting my Citation so pure today. I drove one green 256 metres uphill, and hit another green 280 metres downhill, threading a tiny gap between the bunkers at the front of the green. It's the first time in 10 years at that course that I've seen anyone on the green for one, it took a high draw that flew about 265 metres on the fly (downhill and with one club talwind) and bounced left between the bunkers onto the middle of the green for an easy 2 putt birdie. The reason I'm boring you all with these details is because this was the sole high point of an otherwise crap round. I was 7 over after 3 holes, 14 over after 6, and finsihed on 17 over. Worst score I've had there since I was a 16 marker. Totally humiliating.

[QUOTE=Not a hacker]I hadn't heard about this. I had noticed a few local pros here who used to be Nickent staff wearing different gear. This would explain why.

I might keep my eye out on ebay, Nickent drivers are absolutely awesome. I'm surprised that they went bust, I thought their driver sales would have kept them afloat. Over here you see heaps of them around, especially in the bags of low markers.

Its the nice shots on every round that keep us coming back to play, and the sucsession of them that make are great rounds. Nice one hacker, sounds like you threaded the needle on that shot

[QUOTE=12sandwich]
    I hadn't heard about this. I had noticed a few local pros here who used to be Nickent staff wearing different gear. This would explain why.

Its the nice shots on every round that keep us coming back to play, and the sucsession of them that make are great rounds. Nice one hacker, sounds like you threaded the needle on that shot
    I saved the wrong part of your quote for the response, brain fart. Nickent drivers are dirt cheap now, being out of business means, once there gone, there gone. I just bought a 4dx evolver pro force v2 and Wow ! whole lot of club for cheap

[QUOTE=12sandwich]
    I saved the wrong part of your quote for the response, brain fart. Nickent drivers are dirt cheap now, being out of business means, once there gone, there gone. I just bought a 4dx evolver pro force v2 and Wow ! whole lot of club for cheap
    I'm not really in the market for a driver as I hit my current one pretty good, but a bargain's a bargain and I can't resist a bargain. Also, although I hit my current drivfer good and get a good feel out of the sweetspot, I know that there better drivers out there. The Nickent 4DX could very well be one of them.

Well I,m out of shape and bored, been hitting balls inside at nets, in simulators, and sneeking over to there trackman when there not looking. The nickent feels so good nice sound 10.5 loft figured that was best. My 2 cobras a 414 comp 10.5 irod shaft. And the f speed 9 degree nv shaft cobra blowed the others away. whats up with that 9 degrees? admittedly I was drinking as they have a bar. Are those trackmans correct? and by the way that things f,ukin loud, that must be what f stands for. The comp is quiet hence the composite head

Thread Information