|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: It would figure

It would figure

http://www.mygolfspy.com/ping-anser-irons-2010/

Now that i'm with TM, PING decides to bring out an irons that actually looks worth playing again... they really dropped the ball after the s59's imo, but these look really, really good... i guess it's for the best though, no blades from them as of yet though...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    http://www.mygolfspy.com/ping-anser-irons-2010/

Now that i'm with TM, PING decides to bring out an irons that actually looks worth playing again... they really dropped the ball after the s59's imo, but these look really, really good... i guess it's for the best though, no blades from them as of yet though...
    It looks OK but not any different than the other forged cavity backs out there. I like the fact that it doesn't have some cheap plastic insert in the cavity. Personally, I think they're making a mistake with this. I'm not sure who would buy this iron over a Titleist or Mizuno forged cavity back. Most Ping guys, like myself, don't expect a forged iron in the mix. Callaway did the same thing and I don't know anyone who plays the forged models like the x-tour (whatever its called). This is my opinion and I'm right.

I really liked the S58's when I was demoing irons. Just didn't like the price tag.

They look similar.

and TM sucks...
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

FD,

I think you underestimate the loyalty of Ping players. I honestly don't think many guys play Ping based on the type of clubs they produce, they just automatically always get Pings. More than any other brand, Ping players are almost a different species. Every guy I know who has pings, has had them for years and have never played anything else.

Couldn't access the site and see these new irons, but I'd suspect that there will be alot of Ping devotees who will jump at the chance of playing a forged players cavity but staying true to Ping. The fact that they are made by trained monkeys using cheap materials in a chinese sweat shop won't enter their minds, all they need to kow is that they are made by Ping.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    It looks OK but not any different than the other forged cavity backs out there. I like the fact that it doesn't have some cheap plastic insert in the cavity. Personally, I think they're making a mistake with this. I'm not sure who would buy this iron over a Titleist or Mizuno forged cavity back. Most Ping guys, like myself, don't expect a forged iron in the mix. Callaway did the same thing and I don't know anyone who plays the forged models like the x-tour (whatever its called). This is my opinion and I'm right.
    Very good point, my brother, PING needs to stick with mass production of their GI shovel POS irons that appeal to the masses and make the elite golfers vomit.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    I really liked the S58's when I was demoing irons. Just didn't like the price tag.

They look similar.

and TM sucks...
    not the irons i will be playing... not at all... lol

TM doesn't suck at all, especially when you get the stuff for free...

Ping, the R9TP's aren't awful, but the top line's still too thick for my eyes. TM had a good thing going with the RAC MB's but then went the way of crap again.

The best thing they have going for them right now is the Penta TP golf ball. Liked the length of the black, but the control of the red. Solid ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Ping, the R9TP's aren't awful, but the top line's still too thick for my eyes. TM had a good thing going with the RAC MB's but then went the way of crap again.

The best thing they have going for them right now is the Penta TP golf ball. Liked the length of the black, but the control of the red. Solid ball.
    not playing the r9tps... but the irons i am going to be playing are pretty sick... right now still the miuras but in a couple weeks i should have my new irons pic's will be up then....

bag currently is as follows

TM R9 TP, Motore F1 4.0 (no not the stock one it's completely different... lol)
    r7 TP 15* Fubuki
    Miura CB 201 3-6 PX flighted
    Miura Retro Blades 7-W PX flighted
    Cleveland CG15's 52 56 60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

changes

Irons will be changed
    wedges will change to the TM's with the removable faces
    putter will be an Edel

I don't know, they look a bit like Cally's X Forged. Nothing new here. If they would have manned up and created a MB that would be something. When all is said and done, the Ping devotees will flock to these clubs just like they do anything from Ping, and the rest of the world will shake their heads in pity.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

This past year, I have decided to try and buy more American made products, or at least less Chinese crap. I even spent $40 the other day on 3 pairs of American made socks...I could have picked up some sweatshop grade socks for $10.

I think many Ping loyalists became fans when all the irons were manufactured in America. Ping has always had uglyass designs, but at least the irons were high quality. Over the past 10 years they became sellouts. Notice that Ping has not dropped their pricing any, despite saving god knows how much money by moving their manufacturing to China. I think Ping has screwed up, and they are destroying the niche they had created for themselves.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Removable face wedges?

You might need to book an appointment at Confession, cause you're about to turn gay.

Removable face wedges?

You might need to book an appointment at Confession, cause you're about to turn gay.
    actually... they don't look that bad at all... you can't even tell any difference from address, and once again i'm all for them giving me equipment to play along with fittings... better than paying for the stuff...

actually... they don't look that bad at all... you can't even tell any difference from address, and once again i'm all for them giving me equipment to play along with fittings... better than paying for the stuff...
    Spoiled Rotten Basterd!......Can I be that big brother you always wanted?
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Very good point, my brother, PING needs to stick with mass production of their GI shovel POS irons that appeal to the masses and make the elite golfers vomit.
    Sooner, Sooner. When will you come to realize that Ping made the best irons ever created? The Ping Eye 2 is better than any Mizuno iron ever created. Just because you play Mizuno doesn't make you an elite golfer. I hope you're not one of those Starbucks coffee drinkers that snubs your nose at people that drink Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Sooner, Sooner. When will you come to realize that Ping made the best irons ever created? The Ping Eye 2 is better than any Mizuno iron ever created. Just because you play Mizuno doesn't make you an elite golfer. I hope you're not one of those Starbucks coffee drinkers that snubs your nose at people that drink Dunkin Donuts coffee.
    This is true. I do not claim to be an elite golfer, but I do proclaim to have elite taste . . . . . . . . . well, . . . . . . . except for the Thriver I have in my bag, but that's Edgey's fault.

I'm not a coffee drinker at all anymore. After experiencing some heart palpitations a year ago, I discovered I had an overstimulated heart and the doctor encouraged me to lay off the caffeine. Whenever I did drink it though, I always drank it black from my home percolator. I have other things I would rather spend my money on than overpriced coffee, like Mizuno products and Titleist golf balls.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Yeah really. Can I get on glove an

Yeah really. Can I get on glove and ball staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    Yeah really. Can I get on glove and ball staff?
    Did I-I-I st-st-stu-st-stutt-stutter?
    Another moron in a site full of morons.

Quote Originally Posted by fred3.2
    Did I-I-I st-st-stu-st-stutt-stutter?
    Another moron in a site full of morons.
    NS has already pointed out the obvious implications of the .2
    stop trying to be so "friendly" ... this is not one of those sites where you can meet up afterwards to "get to know each other better, and just talk"
    ugg
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

I didn't even know they have such a thing as "removable faces" or what ever you said. Haven't had much time to keep up with the golf stuff lately.

I didn't even know they have such a thing as "removable faces" or what ever you said. Haven't had much time to keep up with the golf stuff lately.
    'Removeable' faces are as big a scam as bringing out a new line of driver every 6 months, of which TM is also guilty of. The theory is that when grooves inevitably wear out, instead of getting new wedges you simply put a new face in and hey presto, you've got a new wedge. But when the grooves are almost as expensive as a new wedge, and the initial cost of the wedge is very prohibitive, it becomes more gimmick than value.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    'Removeable' faces are as big a scam as bringing out a new line of driver every 6 months, of which TM is also guilty of. The theory is that when grooves inevitably wear out, instead of getting new wedges you simply put a new face in and hey presto, you've got a new wedge. But when the grooves are almost as expensive as a new wedge, and the initial cost of the wedge is very prohibitive, it becomes more gimmick than value.
    Not the same at all. Supposedly the club itself will be competitive in it's pricing and face replacements will only run $30-$40. This would save me almost $400 a year! Of course they have to work and feel good too which has yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    Not the same at all. Supposedly the club itself will be competitive in it's pricing and face replacements will only run $30-$40. This would save me almost $400 a year! Of course they have to work and feel good too which has yet to be determined.
    In Oz, the price points they are talking are MUCH higher than you are getting over there. Although I only saw it in a 'new equipment' section of a golf mag, and those articles are notorius for putting high RRP figures in. Perhaps when they are in shops they will be a little cheaper, but they will still be the most expensive wedges on the shelves.

In any case, how many amatuers would need to replace their wedge faces regularly? I conceed that pros would literally hit hundreds of wedge shots each day on the range and around the practice greens, with all shots connecting in the exact same sweet spot, so they would wear down the grooves on their wedges relaitvely quickly. But the average weekend hacker who doesn't practice would take years to wear down the grooves to a degree that would make a noticeable difference.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 02-25-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    the seal very well to the face, it feels just like a "traditional" wedge... you can't really tell any difference....

Shut up Fred, it wasn't a stutter. My computer lagged in the middle of typing. You know.. Like when you have a heart palpitation and you wig out and wake up on the floor of the YMCA covered in your own urine. Camp Freddy will have you right again in no time.

Am I the only one of us morons who thinks this is a shiny chrome plated set of i15 irons?

I think they even chrome-plated the plastic insert in the back. If that's possible. Spray painted, maybe.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Am I the only one of us morons who thinks this is a shiny chrome plated set of i15 irons?

I think they even chrome-plated the plastic insert in the back. If that's possible. Spray painted, maybe.

I thought the same thing.

Then I remembered how much I wanted to make love to the S58's and didn't care. I'll hit them next time I'm in Golf Town.

Thread Information