|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: putter question

putter question

Hello, my name is Doug Lais, and I'm looking for info on a Ben Hogan putter my mother wants me to sell on Craig's List. I have no idea what it's worth, so maybe someone can help me out. The head appears to be brass, and it's stamped P-103, MacDougal, and Ben Hogan. The handle is steel, stamped Golf Pride. I'll try to include a couple of pictures. Any help would be appreciated, as I've already spent a couple hours looking on the internet.
    Thanks, Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	2364  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jackson Course at Rock Barn in Hickory, NC
    Interesting club. I have never seen that particular model, but I have used many other variations at one time or another. Most of those (i.e. p-107) putters go for $30-$50 in great condition, and my local guy had a few different ones he got a liitle more for. It is only worth what the buyer believes it is worth, and, with that being said, I can't tell you how popular that particular model is. Try to take it to someone you trust that has great knowledge of these things.
    In accordance with new rules...I play a 2x4 and a lead pipe.
    Listing anything golf related is a B!TCHMOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by douglaslais
    Hello, my name is Doug Lais, and I'm looking for info on a Ben Hogan putter my mother wants me to sell on Craig's List. I have no idea what it's worth, so maybe someone can help me out. The head appears to be brass, and it's stamped P-103, MacDougal, and Ben Hogan. The handle is steel, stamped Golf Pride. I'll try to include a couple of pictures. Any help would be appreciated, as I've already spent a couple hours looking on the internet.
    Thanks, Doug
    I don't believe it. A Ben Hogan MacDougal P-103! I've seen the P-102 and P-104 models in person but never a P-103. This is one of the rarest putters ever made as it was personally handcrafted by Mr. Hogan himself. Hogan crafted the P-103 for his personal use and some say that just before he died he uttered "don't let them take the MacDougal". If I were you I would hold onto this putter as it will only go up in value over the years. If you do sell it, put it on Ebay and make sure that you opt for all of the seller's options to make sure that everyone gets to see it.

I've seen original Scottsdale Ansers and some of the original Wilson 8802 putters but never a MacDougal P-103. Folklore stories tell of how Byron Nelson once tried to take a MacDougal out of Hogan's bag. A shouting match soon progressed into an all out brawl ending in Hogan giving Nelson a good wrap of the forearm around the neck. Hence the term "Nelson". You own a piece of history.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I don't believe it. A Ben Hogan MacDougal P-103! I've seen the P-102 and P-104 models in person but never a P-103. This is one of the rarest putters ever made as it was personally handcrafted by Mr. Hogan himself. Hogan crafted the P-103 for his personal use and some say that just before he died he uttered "don't let them take the MacDougal". If I were you I would hold onto this putter as it will only go up in value over the years. If you do sell it, put it on Ebay and make sure that you opt for all of the seller's options to make sure that everyone gets to see it.

I've seen original Scottsdale Ansers and some of the original Wilson 8802 putters but never a MacDougal P-103. Folklore stories tell of how Byron Nelson once tried to take a MacDougal out of Hogan's bag. A shouting match soon progressed into an all out brawl ending in Hogan giving Nelson a good wrap of the forearm around the neck. Hence the term "Nelson". You own a piece of history.
    Oh ya! I believe that!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterproof-fishing-waders-148528.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	2366
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Oh, wow, famousdavis, you gotta get a job on Antiques Roadshow. I hope noshuz has another set of those waders. Very funny stuff, you two. But seriously...any other "real" help out there?

Just one question before I unleash the power of my research lab on your question: why does your mother want you to sell this putter on Craigs List?
    If I'm going to get really serious, I'll need you to cut the putter in sections so I can examine the production style and materials.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

It doesn't need to be Craig's List, actually. That part was my idea, since I've had good results selling a few things there.

It doesn't need to be Craig's List, actually. That part was my idea, since I've had good results selling a few things there.
    OK, let me rephrase. Why does your mother want you to sell the putter? Is it yours or hers? Does she want you to liquidate your assets to get you out of the house? Is your mother in desperate need of cash? Is that couch in your mom's basement, and if so, do you sleep on it? Without any other back story, these are the questions that everyone is thinking about. I'm trying to help you.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

She asked me if I could sell it on the internet, so I'm doing the best I know how. She bought this club years ago and has never used it. Also, it's been tough sleeping on the couch with that dang thing all this time.

Also, it's been tough sleeping on the couch with that dang thing all this time.
    Trust me, there are so many people who would make room on that couch to sleep with anything Hogan.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

We used to have a Putter Pics thread sticky at the top of the page. It was freakin' awesome!! It mysteriously vanished one day, but a forum search might find it. I'm certain any question you have about putters can be answered in that thread. Enjoy.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

She asked me if I could sell it on the internet, so I'm doing the best I know how. She bought this club years ago and has never used it. Also, it's been tough sleeping on the couch with that dang thing all this time.
    I feel like there is something sinister is going down. Doug, is your mom selling your dad's favorite putter? What else is she selling?...trust me, no woman would buy a putter like that...that putter has balls...what is the real story here?
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Thread Information