|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

a 300 yard (almost) knuckleball

Had a local guy on our launch monitor yesterday who is usually really good....but showed up for his fitting after a few beers.... (okay, he was wasted). But insisted to use his allocated time...so I agreed and figured, hell, this should be good for a few laughs....

So here was his results...

100+ swing speed......but hit the ball so far upward, it had the trajectory of a 6-iron.....almost sky ball like....and he hit it at an impact angle imparting a very low spin, only suitable for someone hitting the ball at 10 mph more.....bottom line, he hit a basically a "knuckleball".

But still, look at his results.

102 swing speed
    149 ball speed
    19.8 launch angle
    2039 spin rate
    276 carry
    293 total distance.

So this guy, with a sloppy half-azz swing STILL out drives me on my better days.

Oh, and to prove this image isn't photoshopped, his name is Tim, he's married to Karla , they have a boy and girl (she's in college) and an Alaskan Husky mix named Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    Had a local guy on our launch monitor yesterday who is usually really good....but showed up for his fitting after a few beers.... (okay, he was wasted). But insisted to use his allocated time...so I agreed and figured, hell, this should be good for a few laughs....

100+ swing speed......but hit the ball so far upward, it had the trajectory of a 6-iron.....almost sky ball like....and he hit it at an impact angle imparting a very low spin, only suitable for someone hitting the ball at 10 mph more.....bottom line, he hit a basically a "knuckleball".

102 swing speed
    149 ball speed
    19.8 launch angle
    2039 spin rate
    276 carry
    293 total distance.

So this guy, with a sloppy half-azz swing STILL out drives me on my better days.

Oh, and to prove this image isn't photoshopped, his name is Tim, he's married to Karla , they have a boy and girl (she's in college) and an Alaskan Husky mix named Duffy.
    HA!...............
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Jackson Course at Rock Barn in Hickory, NC
    That's why John Daly hits it long...
    In accordance with new rules...I play a 2x4 and a lead pipe.
    Listing anything golf related is a B!TCHMOVE.

Is this swing analyzer inside or at an outdoor range? Have you ever measured the 'real world' distances of shots to see if the analyzer is accurate? I've bought drivers based on data from these analyzers and their readings rarely translate to the real world.

I'm just skeptical of these speed/spin/launch angle monitors. Yours may be better, but the ones I've used at PGA Tour Superstore, Golfsmith, and Dick's Sporting Goods do not seem to be very useful. However, I do like the theory that more alcohol = better driving. I'm definitely up for continuing my field research on that front.

Your system's jacked up big time.

The most that could have carried was 243 yards, and that's with a perfect 1.5 ratio of chs to bs. Sorry, 149 ball speed never has nor will create a 276 yard carry unless you're playing downbreeze a considerable amount, or you're playing at some severe altitude.

Indie, why did they name the dog Duffy?
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002

The most that could have carried was 243 yards, and that's with a perfect 1.5 ratio of chs to bs. Sorry, 149 ball speed never has nor will create a 276 yard carry unless you're playing downbreeze a considerable amount, or you're playing at some severe altitude.
    I don’t believe you took into account the low spin number….if he had hit with a normal spin rate which would have been dramatically lower like you said.

Even so, the number he got was extraordinary…which is why I posted it.

Normally, or shall I say “in theory” with that swing speed and an angle of 12.3 with a his low ball spin he should have received these numbers:

Max height: 42.1 yards
    Final Spin: 1464
    Final Hor Velocity: 50.4 mph
    Final Velocity: 68.6 mph
    Flight: 6.96 sec
    Angle of Descent: 42.7*
    Total Carry: 261.2

So the 276 I am sure is off…probably due to the limited lighting at the time this was done…but still, a cool number to pull off considering had I hit the ball at that angle, it would have landed in the tee box.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Indie, why did they name the dog Duffy?
    Knowing him, he named him after the beer that Homer Simpson drinks...

I took that into consideration. There's not enough speed blended with backspin to keep the ball in the air an additional 20 yards, and then run out another 20. At that high of a launch, it looks more like a near popup to me.

http://www.ecs.syr.edu/centers/simfluid/red/golf.html

There's the website where I simulated his results. 66.74 is the ball speed broken down to m/s for you. It's not as good as the bombsquadgolf one that was around, but it's the best I could find.

Edit: Not to mention, if the guy caught it with 0 side spin and no push or pull according to the launch monitor.. How did the ball end up 10.8 yards right of target? Seems to me that ball should have gone dead straight.

I took that into consideration. There's not enough speed blended with backspin to keep the ball in the air an additional 20 yards, and then run out another 20. At that high of a launch, it looks more like a near popup to me.

http://www.ecs.syr.edu/centers/simfluid/red/golf.html

There's the website where I simulated his results. 66.74 is the ball speed broken down to m/s for you. It's not as good as the bombsquadgolf one that was around, but it's the best I could find.
    Cool! Let me look into that....the numbers I quoted you are from Trajectoware from Dave Tuttleman who as I am guessing you know, is like the "Guru of golf swing dynamics"

Edit: Not to mention, if the guy caught it with 0 side spin and no push or pull according to the launch monitor.. How did the ball end up 10.8 yards right of target? Seems to me that ball should have gone dead straight.
    Good point, when I offered up the "theory" I did not enter for side spin...I will resubmit the numbers and see what I get....BRB

Good points!

I've heard of Tuttleman. I'd like to see what he thinks of the numbers as well. I've just never seen a 149 ball speed give that much carry without elevation or a hell of a downbreeze.

Here’s a link to downloading the software I mentioned…

http://www.trajectoware.com/

I DID recalculate the numbers adding for sidespin (thanks for pointing that out BTW) plus the added weight of the head, and heres what I got:

Shot direction: Push/Slice 10.1 yards
    Max height: 44 yards
    Final Spin: 1436 rpm
    Final Hor Velocity: 49.9 mph
    Final Velocity: 69
    Flight time: 7.07 sec
    Angle of descent: 43.7
    Carry: 257.5

Sweet, this program looks pretty damn useful.

Was his spin just over 2000 or in the 1400's? I did my numbers based on the 2039rpm. If it's 1400's, Jesus Christ he could have probably read the brand name on the ball.

Sweet, this program looks pretty damn useful.

Was his spin just over 2000 or in the 1400's? I did my numbers based on the 2039rpm. If it's 1400's, Jesus Christ he could have probably read the brand name on the ball.
    LOL....based on 2039 as initial spin...his final spin was in the 1400's

Wow, I'm retarded. I guess that's what that whole final spin phrase means. Ignore that.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    Is this swing analyzer inside or at an outdoor range? Have you ever measured the 'real world' distances of shots to see if the analyzer is accurate? I've bought drivers based on data from these analyzers and their readings rarely translate to the real world.

I'm just skeptical of these speed/spin/launch angle monitors. Yours may be better, but the ones I've used at PGA Tour Superstore, Golfsmith, and Dick's Sporting Goods do not seem to be very useful. However, I do like the theory that more alcohol = better driving. I'm definitely up for continuing my field research on that front.
    I agree. I remember trying one at the local Golfsmith, comparing a currently used driver with one they had for sale. The distance numbers they gave me were totally unrealistic compared to real world experience. Except instead of ego numbers, they were ridiculously poor.
    There's nothing like the real world to see how the ball is really going.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

All this thread needs is SBD1 to chime in and we will have another 200 post snooze fest (no offence Kiwi).
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

at that ball speed it is physically impossible to carry the ball as far as the LM stated... your LM was mis-calculated, we have the same one and if improperly calculated you can make the numbers say anything you want...

The big bitters on the tour are hitting high launch 14* with low spin around. The numbers show on ward's post is old data.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    at that ball speed it is physically impossible to carry the ball as far as the LM stated... your LM was mis-calculated, we have the same one and if improperly calculated you can make the numbers say anything you want...
    As I said earlier, due to the lack of light, I know the numbers are not accurate

As I said earlier, due to the lack of light, I know the numbers are not accurate
    Then why go ahead and tell us the incorrect distances numb nuts?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Then why go ahead and tell us the incorrect distances numb nuts?
    Oh, I was trying to find a way to really irritate you guys....did it work???

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I agree. I remember trying one at the local Golfsmith, comparing a currently used driver with one they had for sale. The distance numbers they gave me were totally unrealistic compared to real world experience. Except instead of ego numbers, they were ridiculously poor.
    There's nothing like the real world to see how the ball is really going.
    We have two launch monitors (flight Scope and Zelocity) that work really well.

Now if you guys are talking about simulators getting bad, REAL bad numbers, that could very well be true.

We have four simulators at our C.R. facility and the first ones were horrible.We had to set them for woods or irons...and when playing courses in league play, once you learned how to play the screen, you could make a long iron hit longer than a driver.

Things have progressed a lot in a few years...last year we bought new software and new screens that really help in accuracy....I would say that these are pretty accurate to outdoors...if you swing the same way.

We find that indoors, people tend to swing differently...either because they feel "boxed in" or some swing harder (usually the higher handicappers)...and that in turn, makes them play worse.

102 swing speed
    149 ball speed
    19.8 launch angle
    2039 spin rate
    276 carry
    293 total distance.

There's no WAY that ball is going that far!!! I was waiting for the disclaimer(indoor launch monitor like at Sports Authority or Dick's)!

If you didn't add that blurb at the end about the wife and dog I'd call you a filthy liar!

In California we have laws against drinking and driving!!!
    Last edited by SDB1; 03-05-2010 at 05:50 PM.

I swear this guy is not me!!!

Oh, I was trying to find a way to really irritate you guys....did it work???
    At least you answer to your name.

my bad, i didn't read the whole thread....

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    There's no WAY that ball is going that far!!! I was waiting for the disclaimer(indoor launch monitor like at Sports Authority or Dick's)!

If you didn't add that blurb at the end about the wife and dog I'd call you a filthy liar!

In California we have laws against drinking and driving!!!
    Uhh...

You already got owned, big time, son...

You are irrelevant on GR now. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    Uhh...

From recollection this wasn't the first time either.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    Uhh...

Don't you wish! You're just afraid of me! Don't puss out spanky!

102 swing speed
    149 ball speed
    19.8 launch angle
    2039 spin rate
    276 carry
    293 total distance.

One great way to cheat is to put vaseline on your driver face. Read the old books by Sam Snead and others--how they had to earn a living playing money matches. Tey knew a knuckleball would roll out dozens of yards further.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    Don't you wish! You're just afraid of me! Don't puss out spanky!
    HA! No DA. I don't think anyone is scared of you.....
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    HA! No DA. I don't think anyone is scared of you.....
    He just has to accept the fact now that he is the official GR B!tch.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    One great way to cheat is to put vaseline on your driver face. Read the old books by Sam Snead and others--how they had to earn a living playing money matches. Tey knew a knuckleball would roll out dozens of yards further.

Larry

It's possible to hit a knuckler without cheating... you just need to bring the clubface into the ball on a path perpendicular to the loft.

It's not really that hard to do.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

All this thread needs is SBD1 to chime in and we will have another 200 post snooze fest (no offence Kiwi).
    None taken. But I am a little annoyed that all these posts are being made in this lame@ss thread when they could have been made in my awesome 'Internet Bragging' thread.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    None taken. But I am a little annoyed that all these posts are being made in this lame@ss thread when they could have been made in my awesome 'Internet Bragging' thread.
    I know it's not rugby, but I'm surprised we haven't threadjacked any threads with a cricket discussion. The matches over there have been pretty action packed for cricket. It was good to see someone actually stand up and beat our guys. They were getting a little big headed, and certainly didn't take getting beaten very well. Personally I think they have been dreaming if they think beating up weak opposition like Pakistan and West Indies means they are playing particularly well.

I know it's not rugby, but I'm surprised we haven't threadjacked any threads with a cricket discussion. The matches over there have been pretty action packed for cricket. It was good to see someone actually stand up and beat our guys. They were getting a little big headed, and certainly didn't take getting beaten very well. Personally I think they have been dreaming if they think beating up weak opposition like Pakistan and West Indies means they are playing particularly well.
    Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind!

Yeah I have really enjoyed the matches and agree that it is good to see someone finally give your guys a decent contest. Last nights match was a thriller and went down to the wire. Unfortunately in the end it was Vettori vs the OZ Team and he couldn't win it single handed. My only gripe is that ridiculous Duckworth Lewis system. I don't know the intricacies of that system but I heard that due to the rain they reduced the match by 5 overs but only reduced the Kiwis target by 8 runs! WTF???? How does that work? Just hope we can keep the series alive with a win in the next match.

As for the rugby, I should have been crowing last week when all 5 Kiwi teams won. This week only one team won (The Crusaders) and that was at the expense of another Kiwi team (The Auckland Blues). Even the normally hapless QLD Reds came across and put a whipping on the Chiefs on their home patch in Hamilton. Ah well early days.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind!

Yeah I have really enjoyed the matches and agree that it is good to see someone finally give your guys a decent contest. Last nights match was a thriller and went down to the wire. Unfortunately in the end it was Vettori vs the OZ Team and he couldn't win it single handed. My only gripe is that ridiculous Duckworth Lewis system. I don't know the intricacies of that system but I heard that due to the rain they reduced the match by 5 overs but only reduced the Kiwis target by 8 runs! WTF???? How does that work? Just hope we can keep the series alive with a win in the next match.

As for the rugby, I should have been crowing last week when all 5 Kiwi teams won. This week only one team won (The Crusaders) and that was at the expense of another Kiwi team (The Auckland Blues). Even the normally hapless QLD Reds came across and put a whipping on the Chiefs on their home patch in Hamilton. Ah well early days.
    Didn't hear about last night's match. That system sucks. Didn't hear about the Rugby results either. That certainly breathes some life into ythe comp, your teams were starting to put some space on the field at the top. Can't believe the Reds beat the Chiefs in Hamilton, that's absurd. They have put together back to back wins. Very strange.

Didn't hear about last night's match. That system sucks. Didn't hear about the Rugby results either. That certainly breathes some life into ythe comp, your teams were starting to put some space on the field at the top. Can't believe the Reds beat the Chiefs in Hamilton, that's absurd. They have put together back to back wins. Very strange.
    Not quite. The Blues rolled the Reds at Ballymore last week.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Not quite. The Blues rolled the Reds at Ballymore last week.
    I hate the Reds so I'm glad.

I hate the Reds so I'm glad.
    Our first rugby/cricketjacking!......YAWN.....might as well talk about hocky now too.........
    team obnoxious

I had an incredible bowel movement this morning. Anyone else have a similar exprience recently?
    GR lives...

I had an incredible bowel movement this morning. Anyone else have a similar exprience recently?
    It's not recent, but the most memorable one for me was about one week after giving up eating meat. I could feel it building for days, then one day on the can I felt like my bowels had been uncorked and it exploded all over the bowl. I literally felt like I had nothing left to give, like all the crap had made it's way to the bowel for one last hurrah.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 03-07-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Whoa man! It was so impressive I almost called my wife in the bathroom to see..........
    team obnoxious

It's not recent, but the most memorable one for me was about one week after going vegan. I could feel it building for days, then one day on the can I felt like my bowels had been uncorked and it exploded all over the bowl. I literally felt like I had nothing left to give.
    My doctor put me on a medimucal / soy protein plan to help lower my cholesterol and the masterpieces I've had the last 6 months are something to be proud of. No explosions though. Hell I barely need paper! Good ol' fiber! I feel like running around the house like my cat does when he lets one go.....
    Last edited by noshuz; 03-07-2010 at 08:00 AM.
    team obnoxious

Is this the first Poopjacking on GR?
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    My doctor put me on a medimucal / sot protein plan to help lower my cholesterol and the masterpieces I've had the last 6 months are something to be proud of. No explosions though. Hell I barely need paper! Good ol' fiber! I feel like running around the house like my cat does when he lets one go.....
    I must admit that I've always been pretty regular, but since going vegan I'm a 3-4 times a dayer whe it comes to number 2s.

102 swing speed
    149 ball speed
    19.8 launch angle
    2039 spin rate
    276 carry
    293 total distance..[/I]
    My driver head speed, in the booth at PGA Tour Superstore, is just over 110. My real world carry is seldom more than 275. My spin is just under 3000 and launch angle is in the area of 13-14*. My flight, carry and roll are as optimal as an inconsistent guy like me can get.

I have HUGE difficulty believing that a 102 mph clubhead speed and a launch angle of around 20* are going to carry 275, no matter what the spin rate. When spin gets too low the ball falls out of the sky. Too high and it drops vertically after breaching the stratosphere. And a perfect spin rate, given those other numbers (especially launch angle), isn't going to carry 275 in the real world. Maybe 250 max.

102 mph just isn't enough speed to overcome those other obstacles. Sounds like the machine is buggy or badly programmed.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

It's not recent, but the most memorable one for me was about one week after giving up eating meat. I could feel it building for days, then one day on the can I felt like my bowels had been uncorked and it exploded all over the bowl. I literally felt like I had nothing left to give, like all the crap had made it's way to the bowel for one last hurrah.
    Beverly Hills Cop -- the lame nerd cop making conversation--

"the average American has five pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels".
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    Beverly Hills Cop -- the lame nerd cop making conversation--

"the average American has five pounds of undigested red meat in his bowels".
    Someone needs to tell me how I can unsubscribe to a thread...starting with this one.

My driver head speed, in the booth at PGA Tour Superstore, is just over 110. My real world carry is seldom more than 275. My spin is just under 3000 and launch angle is in the area of 13-14*. My flight, carry and roll are as optimal as an inconsistent guy like me can get.

I have HUGE difficulty believing that a 102 mph clubhead speed and a launch angle of around 20* are going to carry 275, no matter what the spin rate. When spin gets too low the ball falls out of the sky. Too high and it drops vertically after breaching the stratosphere. And a perfect spin rate, given those other numbers (especially launch angle), isn't going to carry 275 in the real world. Maybe 250 max.

102 mph just isn't enough speed to overcome those other obstacles. Sounds like the machine is buggy or badly programmed.
    You apparently chose to post this response before reading the entire thread, where the inconsistent data was discussed.

Thank you guys for sharing. Good to know I'm not the only one with these types of cherished memories. My all-timer was a couple of years ago. A couple of days of carnivorism followed by a couple of days as an herbivore. In
    a couple of seconds almost the entire bowel purged.

I'd compare it to a submarine launching a torpedo. Before launch there might have been 5 pounds of undigested fecal matter in there, but definitely not after.
    GR lives...

You apparently chose to post this response before reading the entire thread, where the inconsistent data was discussed.
    Yeah, I remember trying to read the entire thread, but I nodded off a couple of times, and then was distracted by a giant bowel movement or something.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Thank you guys for sharing. Good to know I'm not the only one with these types of cherished memories. My all-timer was a couple of years ago. A couple of days of carnivorism followed by a couple of days as an herbivore. In
    a couple of seconds almost the entire bowel purged.

I'd compare it to a submarine launching a torpedo. Before launch there might have been 5 pounds of undigested fecal matter in there, but definitely not after.
    I think that in my case it would have been 4.5 pounds of of undigested animal flesh, but the other half a pound was more of a fine mist which sprayed the entire bowl brown. The submarine torpedo was a good metaphor, I can only describe the entire experience as liberating.

I don't know why this topic has never been raised before, it is possibly the one topic that we can all relate to.

I think that in my case it would have been 4.5 pounds of of undigested animal flesh, but the other half a pound was more of a fine mist which sprayed the entire bowl brown. The submarine torpedo was a good metaphor, I can only describe the entire experience as liberating.

I don't know why this topic has never been raised before, it is possibly the one topic that we can all relate to.
    This topic has definitely been discussed before. You can't have been paying attention. After sex and food it is Lorenzo's third favourite topic.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Is that a "knuckle ball" reference?
    team obnoxious

Agreed on overall statement but yournimber are not "optimal" for today's balls and equipment. Launch is close bur a touch low and spin is way too high. You should be at or just below 2000. I don't understand why some fiiters are holding on to higher spin numbers but the big jitters on tour are prodcing the longest numbers with much lower spin than in the past.

I disagree, DP's spin should be between 2300-2600. You mostly see optimum spin numbers sub 2000 for LDA guys. His ball speeds are probably mid 160's. Too low of spin and like he said, it'd just fall out of the sky.

I think that in my case it would have been 4.5 pounds of of undigested animal flesh, but the other half a pound was more of a fine mist which sprayed the entire bowl brown. The submarine torpedo was a good metaphor, I can only describe the entire experience as liberating..
    Isn't it necessary that the captain and exec officer both insert and turn their keys simultaneously before such a weapon can be launched?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I disagree, DP's spin should be between 2300-2600. You mostly see optimum spin numbers sub 2000 for LDA guys. His ball speeds are probably mid 160's. Too low of spin and like he said, it'd just fall out of the sky.
    I seem to recall my spin as being about 2900. Might be a touch high, but my rollout ain't too bad so I don't worry about it. Down here in Texas we don't get many situations where the tee ball stops like a nine iron, as I sometimes see on TV golf in other locales.

The LDA guys with their six inch tees and upswings and their 4 degree lofts are definitely going for lower spin. Not to mention they use lower spin, harder golf balls Not quite as easy to hit it straight when you go for that low a spin, as the sidespin then becomes a larger percentage of overall ball movement..... some backspin is needed to maintain line. Unless all your fairways look the same and you're busting a hernia on every swing. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I seem to recall my spin as being about 2900. Might be a touch high, but my rollout ain't too bad so I don't worry about it. Down here in Texas we don't get many situations where the tee ball stops like a nine iron, as I sometimes see on TV golf in other locales.

The LDA guys with their six inch tees and upswings and their 4 degree lofts are definitely going for lower spin. Not to mention they use lower spin, harder golf balls Not quite as easy to hit it straight when you go for that low a spin, as the sidespin then becomes a larger percentage of overall ball movement..... some backspin is needed to maintain line. Unless all your fairways look the same and you're busting a hernia on every swing. :-)
    Agreed on distance vs accuracy in relation to spin. It is a trade off. With that said I would rather have a + angle of attack and a high launch with low 2000's spin than a low lauch with higher spin like the link mentioned. These higher spins = longer drives came from the original launch monitors that did no take into account the angle of descent and roll out. Check out trackmans newsletters and you'll see some examples of this.

All I know is my best drives using a trackman launch monitor on an outdoor range was with 14-16* launch angle and about 1800 -2000 rpm spin. The ball did not fall out of the sky and the angle of decent was about 40* which gives tons of roll. Higher spin shots had larger carries but did not roll as far and the total distance was less. I saw no distinct difference in side spin/accuracy between the two.

Thumbs up wow its very interesting

Wow thats seems really interesting. Thanks for sharing ...

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMargaretL
    Wow thats seems really interesting. Thanks for sharing ...
    Hello Margaret. What might you be a doctor of?
    team obnoxious

102 swing speed
    149 ball speed
    19.8 launch angle
    2039 spin rate
    276 carry
    293 total distance.

This is all a bunch of hocus-pocus gobbeldy gook. Launch monitors, swing analyzers and spin rate machines are for geeks that played dungeons and dragons in junior high. Go out there and play golf. You don't need a computer to figure to pick out a driver that suits your swing. Spine this!

This topic has definitely been discussed before. You can't have been paying attention. After sex and food it is Lorenzo's third favourite topic.
    I'm not sure, until now, I realized what how simple I am. I guess when you see it in print.....
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Agreed on distance vs accuracy in relation to spin. It is a trade off. With that said I would rather have a + angle of attack and a high launch with low 2000's spin than a low lauch with higher spin like the link mentioned. These higher spins = longer drives came from the original launch monitors that did no take into account the angle of descent and roll out. Check out trackmans newsletters and you'll see some examples of this.

All I know is my best drives using a trackman launch monitor on an outdoor range was with 14-16* launch angle and about 1800 -2000 rpm spin. The ball did not fall out of the sky and the angle of decent was about 40* which gives tons of roll. Higher spin shots had larger carries but did not roll as far and the total distance was less. I saw no distinct difference in side spin/accuracy between the two.
    Sounds like I might have some adjustments to make... :-)

I can't complain about my drives, but sometimes I still do. Always wondered if I could do better with a lot of time and attention to testing/numbers. I came away from that one session satisfied that my numbers were in the middle of 'good' most of the time. It was a year or so back, though... you're inspiring me to get back in the box. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    This is all a bunch of hocus-pocus gobbeldy gook. Launch monitors, swing analyzers and spin rate machines are for geeks that played dungeons and dragons in junior high. Go out there and play golf. You don't need a computer to figure to pick out a driver that suits your swing. Spine this!
    I didn't start playing D&D til senior high, but I agree launch monitors are a bunch of crap for amatuer hackers who rarely put the same swing on the ball twice in one round. Just keep taking demo drivers from the pro shop out on the course til you get one you like. Launch monitors can lie, on course results can't.

I didn't start playing D&D til senior high, but I agree launch monitors are a bunch of crap for amatuer hackers who rarely put the same swing on the ball twice in one round. Just keep taking demo drivers from the pro shop out on the course til you get one you like. Launch monitors can lie, on course results can't.
    I think they are a joke for great players like myself as well. Why not just do what you suggest above and demo a driver on the course? How can a launch monitor be better than that?

Thread Information