|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Preferred Ball

Jackson Course at Rock Barn in Hickory, NC

Preferred Ball

I normally use the Bridgestone B330, but have tried several others from time to time (usually a playing partner giving me one). I hit the ball extremely high, and with moderate-to-high spin. Distance is never an issue, so I prefer soft feel on and around the green. Any suggestions on a ball I should seriously try, or can I simply stick with my B330's?
    In accordance with new rules...I play a 2x4 and a lead pipe.
    Listing anything golf related is a B!TCHMOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Austin
    I normally use the Bridgestone B330, but have tried several others from time to time (usually a playing partner giving me one). I hit the ball extremely high, and with moderate-to-high spin. Distance is never an issue, so I prefer soft feel on and around the green. Any suggestions on a ball I should seriously try, or can I simply stick with my B330's?
    Funnily enough thats how Camp Freddy gets some of his......

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Funnily enough thats how Camp Freddy gets some of his......

Edgey
    I'll bet he prefers the "reduced spin" model...

I like the B330, but around the greens the Pro-V1x is hard to beat. They both seem pretty low spin for someone that crushes it, which according to you is you.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I like the B330, but around the greens the Pro-V1x is hard to beat. They both seem pretty low spin for someone that crushes it, which according to you is you.
    I will pick up a dozen next time I am out. Do the different models (i.e. 2007, 2008) have any better results? I know a few tour players prefer specific year models (sounds like friggin cars). Thanks.

I will pick up a dozen next time I am out. Do the different models (i.e. 2007, 2008) have any better results? I know a few tour players prefer specific year models (sounds like friggin cars). Thanks.
    Or friggin wine!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I'll bet he prefers the "reduced spin" model...

No, according to Edgey, he likes them with lots of spin . . . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    No, according to Edgey, he likes them with lots of spin . . . . . . . .

That can not be healthy.

That can not be healthy.

??????????????
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Quote Originally Posted by Regulation Guy
    ??????????????
    Please not the disassembled genital region spinning clockwise inside of the briefs...THAT CANNOT BE HEALTHY!!!!!

It could be just variations in my clubs and game, but the most recent design following changes the Callaway lawsuit brought about seems better than the prior version. The only neg. is that it seems to be a little less scuff resistant than before.
    GR lives...

Drew, I just played the B330 for the 1st time this past weekend. I played the RX cuz' I am a pathetic little b!tch with less than tour swing speed. Hands down the best ball I've ever tried including all the titleists. Great spin around the greens, great feel off the putter, and great distance. I am convinced that Bridgestone is making a better ball than titty nowadays.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

It could be just variations in my clubs and game, but the most recent design following changes the Callaway lawsuit brought about seems better than the prior version. The only neg. is that it seems to be a little less scuff resistant than before.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Drew, I just played the B330 for the 1st time this past weekend. I played the RX cuz' I am a pathetic little b!tch with less than tour swing speed. Hands down the best ball I've ever tried including all the titleists. Great spin around the greens, great feel off the putter, and great distance. I am convinced that Bridgestone is making a better ball than titty nowadays.
    I do love the B330, but I didn't know if I was missing the boat. Glad to hear some confirmation.

Cally Tour IX, B330, ProV1x in that order.
    Detested TM Black, so much so that I refuse to try the Red which I've heard isn't bad.
    Nike One Black and Platinum didn't do much for me.
    Haven't tried the new Srixon Z Star, but I tried their old premium ball ZUR and wasn't very impressed.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Detested TM Black, so much so that I refuse to try the Red which I've heard isn't bad.
    Haven't tried the new Srixon Z Star, but I tried their old premium ball ZUR and wasn't very impressed.
    I hate BOTH TM's, the Red is not much better. Nike all sucks, and I don't like the new Srixon. As far as the Callaway Tour ix, I may try those, too. I don't care for the dimple pattern, but that is purely a visual thing. If I drop strokes, I drop strokes. Thanks.

How do the Callys hold up? I'm hearing they're worth trying.
    GR lives...

How do the Callys hold up? I'm hearing they're worth trying.
    Better than the original HX Tours. Not quite as much spin as the ProV1X and a bit harder feeling with the short game. It's currently my favorite.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Better than the original HX Tours. Not quite as much spin as the ProV1X and a bit harder feeling with the short game. It's currently my favorite.
    I probably need lower spin with winter conditions around here. The other day it got down to 62 deg F.
    GR lives...

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I probably need lower spin with winter conditions around here. The other day it got down to 62 deg F.
    That warm?? we are hovering around 40- 42 deg F in good old Blighty

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    That warm?? we are hovering around 40- 42 deg F in good old Blighty

If Ping still made balls i would use them. Just check out what the Ping balls go for on Ebay. Here's a little tidbit on what Hunter Mahan used to win the Waste Management open...you know, that tournament in Phoenix:

Mahan relied on his PING S57 irons to lead the field in Greens in Regulation for the week. He also played a Rapture V2 driver, i15 3-wood, i15 17-degree hybrid, EYE2 lob wedge and an iWi D66 putter.

Did all of you notice he used a Ping Eye 2 lob wedge? It's only a matter of time before the Eye 2 irons become the dominant iron on the tour.

Detested TM Black, so much so that I refuse to try the Red.
    I've tried both of them, they both felt like top flight range rocks.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Red was great in windy conditions. The new Penta TP's not too bad either.

I don't think it's enough to bump out the ProV1x though. I'd probably go with ProV1x, Tourix, Penta's. Haven't tried the One Tour's yet but I haven't heard many complaints about them.

The Z Star is a totally different ball than the old ZUR. I play the Z Star and it's the best ball out there IMO, and hands down the most durable (I can get 3 rounds out of one ball). The old ZUR was more of a distance ball but didn't have the feel or spin of the Z Star. The RX is also a great ball and very durable, but I like the feel of the Z Star better. The Z Star goes at least as far as the ProV1X, but spins more and has a slightly softer feel, which I prefer. The Z Star also gives me a better ball flight than other balls, high and long off the driver, controlled flight off the irons. I tried the Z Star X once and didn't like it as much, it was a bit harder and probably targeted at higher swing speeds than my 105mph driver ss. I found a Cally Tour i once and tried it but it was way shorter than other balls. Haven't tried any of the Nike balls as they just don't sell any here in Oz, and haven't tried the Penta yet (tried to get some yesterday but was told they didn't get enough in and they sold out straight away). Having said all that, the differences between any of the premium balls is negligible and I would game any of them at a pinch. Most companies have two different tour balls, a soft version and a harder version for faster swing speeds, so you do have to figure out whcih category you fall into. But once you have that down, it's just a matter of finding a favourite.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    The Z Star is a totally different ball than the old ZUR. I play the Z Star and it's the best ball out there IMO, and hands down the most durable (I can get 3 rounds out of one ball). The old ZUR was more of a distance ball but didn't have the feel or spin of the Z Star. The RX is also a great ball and very durable, but I like the feel of the Z Star better. The Z Star goes at least as far as the ProV1X, but spins more and has a slightly softer feel, which I prefer. The Z Star also gives me a better ball flight than other balls, high and long off the driver, controlled flight off the irons. I tried the Z Star X once and didn't like it as much, it was a bit harder and probably targeted at higher swing speeds than my 105mph driver ss. I found a Cally Tour i once and tried it but it was way shorter than other balls. Haven't tried any of the Nike balls as they just don't sell any here in Oz, and haven't tried the Penta yet (tried to get some yesterday but was told they didn't get enough in and they sold out straight away). Having said all that, the differences between any of the premium balls is negligible and I would game any of them at a pinch. Most companies have two different tour balls, a soft version and a harder version for faster swing speeds, so you do have to figure out whcih category you fall into. But once you have that down, it's just a matter of finding a favourite.

I think that is one thing that can't be determined on a forum. Any other question can be adequately answered, but ball flight must be experienced. Great point.

I think that is one thing that can't be determined on a forum. Any other question can be adequately answered, but ball flight must be experienced. Great point.
    And ballflight is a very subjective thing. The same ball can give two different ball flights for guys with different swings and swing speeds. As I said, it's more about finding which type of ball you like, not which brand. You'll note that everybody who picks the ProV1X will also like the Cally iX, B330, Z Star X, Nike Black etc, whereas the regular ProV1 guys will like the softer versions of each brand like the Z Star, RX, Tour i, Platinum etc. One thing that I've always found interesting is that Tiger apparently plays the spinniest ball on tour, which has been designed specifiacally for him and spins more than the regular Platinum. With his ss you would have thought he would go for a lower spin ball.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

And ballflight is a very subjective thing. The same ball can give two different ball flights for guys with different swings and swing speeds. As I said, it's more about finding which type of ball you like, not which brand. You'll note that everybody who picks the ProV1X will also like the Cally iX, B330, Z Star X, Nike Black etc, whereas the regular ProV1 guys will like the softer versions of each brand like the Z Star, RX, Tour i, Platinum etc. One thing that I've always found interesting is that Tiger apparently plays the spinniest ball on tour, which has been designed specifiacally for him and spins more than the regular Platinum. With his ss you would have thought he would go for a lower spin ball.
    Unless you break 80 on a regular basis there's no reason for you to be spending a bunch of money on balls. If you can't break 80, there's no way that you hit the ball higher or lower based on the brand of ball you use. A player of my caliber needs a great ball. I play either the Srixon or Titleist Pro V1. In the winter I play the Titleist NXT Tour. Callaway, Nike and Taylormade balls are for people who only started playing golf after they saw Tiger on TV. That is all for now. The great one is going.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Unless you break 80 on a regular basis there's no reason for you to be spending a bunch of money on balls. If you can't break 80, there's no way that you hit the ball higher or lower based on the brand of ball you use. A player of my caliber needs a great ball. I play either the Srixon or Titleist Pro V1. In the winter I play the Titleist NXT Tour. Callaway, Nike and Taylormade balls are for people who only started playing golf after they saw Tiger on TV. That is all for now. The great one is going.
    As we all know from what Hogan once said about 90% of the game being mental and the other 10% blah blah, scoring is not necessarily an indicate\ion of ball striking prowess. I only break 80 from time to time, but my game ball striking wise is definitely in the premium ball category. As I said, the differences between each ball are very negligible, but I still notice a better ball flight from the Z Stars than I do other balls. I also get a little bit more distance from them than other premium balls. NXT are great balls if you are a sod laying chopper, but if you are a great ball striker you wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

As we all know from what Hogan once said about 90% of the game being mental and the other 10% blah blah, scoring is not necessarily an indicate\ion of ball striking prowess. I only break 80 from time to time, but my game ball striking wise is definitely in the premium ball category. As I said, the differences between each ball are very negligible, but I still notice a better ball flight from the Z Stars than I do other balls. I also get a little bit more distance from them than other premium balls. NXT are great balls if you are a sod laying chopper, but if you are a great ball striker you wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
    You got me laughing on that one. Sod laying chopper. Actually, the NXT Tour is a great ball. I hit it on the green, it lands and then stops. That's all I want in a ball. Plus, it's longer off the tee than the Pro V1. I notice about 6 yards in distance gain with my irons as well. A slouch like yourself could benefit from my advice.

You got me laughing on that one. Sod laying chopper. Actually, the NXT Tour is a great ball. I hit it on the green, it lands and then stops. That's all I want in a ball. Plus, it's longer off the tee than the Pro V1. I notice about 6 yards in distance gain with my irons as well. A slouch like yourself could benefit from my advice.
    As I said, the NXT is designed for choppers. You should take your own advice and stop wasting a bunch of money on balls you obviously have no business playing.

As I said, the NXT is designed for choppers. You should take your own advice and stop wasting a bunch of money on balls you have no business playing.

That's every reason more why you should be playing it. If you were a man you'd show up for the match with Noshuz and I and make it a threesome. I'll show you what I can do with the NXT Tour. You'd be amazed and dazzled....and definitely envious.

That's every reason more why you should be playing it. If you were a man you'd show up for the match with Noshuz and I and make it a threesome. I'll show you what I can do with the NXT Tour. You'd be amazed and dazzled....and definitely envious.
    I got an NXT Tour in a ball comp once. Mushy as hell and didn't spin for shitt. If you could make those hacker balls talk I would certainly be impressed.

I got an NXT Tour in a ball comp once. Mushy as hell and didn't spin for shitt. If you could make those hacker balls talk I would certainly be impressed.
    It's not as soft as the Pro V1 so I guess I don't see how you consider it mushy. True, it doesn't spin like the Pro V1 or other comparable balls but I think that's a good thing. I hit the ball pretty high so I really don't need a lot of backspin. It's the only ball in that category that I like. Since I'm not a chopper, I've proven you wrong.

I'm with NAH on the Z-Star. Very good ball for moderate swing speeds. Also like the 330rx. TP red is long off the driver but thats about it. I haven't played a pro v for months. Like NAH I don't think there is much to seperate them. I got a great buy on Zstars recently. Bought 3 doz and they worked out to $43 a doz so I'll be gaming those for a while and happy to do it.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I'm with NAH on the Z-Star. Very good ball for moderate swing speeds. Also like the 330rx. TP red is long off the driver but thats about it. I haven't played a pro v for months. Like NAH I don't think there is much to seperate them. I got a great buy on Zstars recently. Bought 3 doz and they worked out to $43 a doz so I'll be gaming those for a while and happy to do it.

I've got a dozen Z-Stars and like them. The dimples seem much larger than other brands. Never play a ball with small dimples.

I've got a dozen Z-Stars and like them. The dimples seem much larger than other brands. Never play a ball with small dimples.
    What about Tri-Speeds? Some one said they a good "mid-grade" ball..
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

You should only look at premium balls when you've gotten good enough to realize it's hard to get the cheap crap balls to stop from inside 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    You should only look at premium balls when you've gotten good enough to realize it's hard to get the cheap crap balls to stop from inside 100 yards.
    I've been playing with D2 Feels to seasons now and I've never had trouble stopping them. Sometimes I get a couple feet of spin back.
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    I've been playing with D2 Feels to seasons now and I've never had trouble stopping them. Sometimes I get a couple feet of spin back.
    Weak. You aren't a real man until you can rip a ball back off the front of the green. Sure, my score suffers, but the amount of street cred I get in the 19th hole is worth a few extra shots.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Weak. You aren't a real man until you can rip a ball back off the front of the green. Sure, my score suffers, but the amount of street cred I get in the 19th hole is worth a few extra shots.
    LOL! Now dats funny!.............
    team obnoxious

Same goes for playing an extra-stiff shaft. You may hit duck hooks or slices all day long but you are one helluva macho man.

Same goes for playing an extra-stiff shaft. You may hit duck hooks or slices all day long but you are one helluva macho man.
    I prefer to put XX lables on all my shafts. I just want people to think I'm playing them without sacrificing performance.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I prefer to put XX lables on all my shafts. I just want people to think I'm playing them without sacrificing performance.
    I like to go straight to the clubhouse in my Re/Max Long Drive gear and just hang out at the bar. I bring along a box of pre-autographed Pinnacle balls.

Last round I hit a wedge that landed about 2 feet to the side of the pin, then ripped back about 30 feet, right off the front of the green. I could tell by the look on my playing partners faces that they were more impressed by that than they would have been if I had merely got it to stop on the first bounce right next to the pin. I'm sure they're still talking about it.

Last round I hit a wedge to about 2 feet to the side of the pin, then ripped it back about 30 feet, right off the front of the green. I could tell by the look on my playing partners faces that they were more impressed than they would have been if I had merely got it to stop on the first bounce right next to the pin. I'm sure they're still talking about it.
    Exactly. I think everyone gets a bit too caught up in "score." If I shoot a 72 without anything spectacular happening, I would have rather stayed at home. On the other hand, an 85 with a couple 300 yard drives and a few wedges that rip back into a bunker, well that's a great round. Sometimes I intentionally put a ball in the woods if things have been getting a bit boring. Hero shots never occur from the fairway.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I wish I could get that sort of deal. I'm not so sure that the Z Star is just for moderate swing speeds though. There is a guy at my club who is a very long hitter who plays the Z Star and rates it above either ProV1. I'd like to know how many of the Srixon staff are using the regular Z Star, I'd suspect it would be quite a few, as I think the Z Star X doesn't stack up around the greens.

On the topic of premium balls, has anyone out there gamed the Blackmax in the past? A golf warehouse near me is selling them for $15 a dozen, which is less than a quarter of other premium balls, and less than a fifth of ProVs. I know they are 3 piece urethane balls, but I want to know if they are a regular premium ball or high swing speed ball. I am caught between two minds on this one. I don't want to compromise my game by playing an inferior ball, but at that price I'm willing to make a compromise if it's not too drastic.

On the topic of premium balls, has anyone out there gamed the Blackmax in the past? A golf warehouse near me is selling them for $15 a dozen, which is less than a quarter of other premium balls, and less than a fifth of ProVs. I know they are 3 piece urethane balls, but I want to know if they are a regular premium ball or high swing speed ball. I am caught between two minds on this one. I don't want to compromise my game by playing an inferior ball, but at that price I'm willing to make a compromise if it's not too drastic.
    The old Blackmaxes were great balls and a lot like the Titleist Pro V1s I play now. Taylormade bought the company and modeled their premium balls after them. I still think the old Blackmaxes are better.

The old Blackmaxes were great balls and a lot like the Titleist Pro V1s I play now. Taylormade bought the company and modeled their premium balls after them. I still think the old Blackmaxes are better.
    Thanks for the info. I think the cheapness in me is going to overide the snobbyness, I'm going to go out there and stock up. I'll get at least 2 doz, maybe more depending on whether they have a limit per customer. I'm tempted to get 4 doz to last me the rest of the year, and by that time I shold have a nice stack of Z Stars from my local ball comp. Which brings me to my next dliemna. Does it really make any difference if I chop and change between the Z Stars and the Blackmax, or should I stick to the one ball and use it all the time. At the moment I play my Stratas for everyday comps but switch to the Z Stars for more important events like Pennants or Vardons, but have been wondering if goign between balls will affect my game ot any great degree.

Thanks for the info. I think the cheapness in me is going to overide the snobbyness, I'm going to go out there and stock up. I'll get at least 2 doz, maybe more depending on whether they have a limit per customer. I'm tempted to get 4 doz to last me the rest of the year, and by that time I shold have a nice stack of Z Stars from my local ball comp. Which brings me to my next dliemna. Does it really make any difference if I chop and change between the Z Stars and the Blackmax, or should I stick to the one ball and use it all the time. At the moment I play my Stratas for everyday comps but switch to the Z Stars for more important events like Pennants or Vardons, but have been wondering if goign between balls will affect my game ot any great degree.
    Keep in mind Sooner was talking about the OLD blackmaxes. The new ones may not be the same ball.
    I think thay if you are changing between balls that are similar in design and performance changing back and forth should not present a problem.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Keep in mind Sooner was talking about the OLD blackmaxes. The new ones may not be the same ball.
    I think thay if you are changing between balls that are similar in design and performance changing back and forth should not present a problem.
    Good point. I heard that MAxfli brought out a later model 2 piece rock Blackmax. I was assuming they were talking about the 3 piece premium balls, but at $15 a doz it could very well be the shitty 2 piece crap Blackmax balls. I'll have to check it out.

Damn! I just rang the factory and it is the new 2 piece Blackmax. The guy on the phone was about to try to tell me how good it was and how every ball is 2 piece blah blah but I cut him off so we wouldn't be wasting both our time. I should have known a deal like that was too good to be true. It's a bit misleading by Maxfli though to bring out a new Blackmax that isn't anything remotely like the original. It would be like Titleist discontinuing the ProV1, then coming out a couple of years later with a 'new' ProV1 which is actually a cheap POS hacker ball like the NXT Tour. I think I'm going to boycott Maxfli from now on.

Damn! I just rang the factory and it is the new 2 piece Blackmax. The guy on the phone was about to try to tell me how good it was and how every ball is 2 piece blah blah but I cut him off so we wouldn't be wasting both our time. I should have known a deal like that was too good to be true. It's a bit misleading by Maxfli though to bring out a new Blackmax that isn't anything remotely like the original. It would be like Titleist discontinuing the ProV1, then coming out a couple of years later with a 'new' ProV1 which is actually a cheap POS hacker ball like the NXT Tour. I think I'm going to boycott Maxfli from now on.
    The reason why Taylormade bought Maxfli out was so they could have the rights to the Blackmax ball. They patterned their TP premium balls after the old Blackmax and put out the cheap 2 pieces under the Blackmax name.

The reason why Taylormade bought Maxfli out was so they could have the rights to the Blackmax ball. They patterned their TP premium balls after the old Blackmax and put out the cheap 2 pieces under the Blackmax name.
    Bastards! I'll extend my boycott to TM, which isn't hard as I don't have anything from TM in the bag anyway.

I've been playing the Bridgestone B330 Rx for about a year, and it gives me the longest, straightest drives I've ever had. I don't think it checks up quite as well as the Pro VI, but I want to try the new Rx-S model, which may not be quite as long, but is supposed to spin a little better. I think I score better hitting longer, straighter drives, vs. the little I lose on touch shots. If the S is better with touch shots around the green, with not much loss of distance, it will probably become my ball of choice. In the meantime, I stocked up on a couple of dozen of the regular Rx's since they were going on sale, in anticipation of the release of the S's.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Bastards! I'll extend my boycott to TM, which isn't hard as I don't have anything from TM in the bag anyway.
    The old version was an excellent ball. If TM is taking an inferior ball and getting sales by fooling people into thinking it's legit, a full boycott of TM is completely justified.

The current pres. was a marketing guy, so it wouldn't be surprising. So far I've heRd nothing but good things about the penta.
    GR lives...

Every 330rx I hit would be snap hooked or blocked out of bounds. I've hit half a dozen and I always lose them before I have a chance to see how they feel on irons and wedges. Par 3's, OB. 4's and 5's.. OB. I've determined my clubs are doing me a favor.

330S' feel pretty good and tend to do well for me in the wind as well, but I'm a b!tch when it comes to buying balls. I refuse to buy when I find ProV's for free.

Every 330rx I hit would be snap hooked or blocked out of bounds. I've hit half a dozen and I always lose them before I have a chance to see how they feel on irons and wedges. Par 3's, OB. 4's and 5's.. OB. I've determined my clubs are doing me a favor.

330S' feel pretty good and tend to do well for me in the wind as well, but I'm a b!tch when it comes to buying balls. I refuse to buy when I find ProV's for free.

Yeah, I'd totally blame the ball for that too.

You should keep that in mind when you decide to play those ProV's you find 40 yards into the trees. Maybe they're in there for a reason.

Maybe YOU'RE in there for a reason...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Absolutely, I'm in there picking up the balls they're too lazy to get. Another man's trash is another man's treasure no? Just cause they're too lazy to pick up a 4 dollar ball doesn't mean I'm against it. And yeah I'll every once in a while find a donation I've made into said hazard.

Absolutely, I'm in there picking up the balls they're too lazy to get. Another man's trash is another man's treasure no? Just cause they're too lazy to pick up a 4 dollar ball doesn't mean I'm against it. And yeah I'll every once in a while find a donation I've made into said hazard.

In no way was I attempting to imply that you enjoy venturing into the woods to play with other men's balls.

Nope.

Not at all...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Well played sir. I missed the reference, and walked right into the trap. Point, you.

Exactly. I think everyone gets a bit too caught up in "score." If I shoot a 72 without anything spectacular happening, I would have rather stayed at home. On the other hand, an 85 with a couple 300 yard drives and a few wedges that rip back into a bunker, well that's a great round. Sometimes I intentionally put a ball in the woods if things have been getting a bit boring. Hero shots never occur from the fairway.
    I'll keep this in mind next time I am standing on the 18th tee after 17 straight pars. Larry would have to ponder this 99% of the times he plays.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 03-05-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Anybody have any imput on the titleist tour distance sf ?Costco has two doz. for about $30..and no im not spamming for Costco

Quote Originally Posted by fikeman
    Anybody have any imput on the titleist tour distance sf ?Costco has two doz. for about $30..and no im not spamming for Costco
    As I have recently documented, if a deal looks too good to be true, it generally isn't. One ting that makes me laugh with OEMs is how many balls come out with the name 'tour' in it somewhere. They really must think that by putting 'tour' in the name somwhere gullible people will be dumb enough to think they are are a good ball. I think we all know that only premium 3 (or more) piece urethane covered balls are 'tour' balls. Every other 'tour' ball is a scam. It's actually even more laughable when you see some of the 'tour' irons out there.

As I have recently documented, if a deal looks too good to be true, it generally isn't. One ting that makes me laugh with OEMs is how many balls come out with the name 'tour' in it somewhere. They really must think that by putting 'tour' in the name somwhere gullible people will be dumb enough to think they are are a good ball. I think we all know that only premium 3 (or more) piece urethane covered balls are 'tour' balls. Every other 'tour' ball is a scam. It's actually even more laughable when you see some of the 'tour' irons out there.
    I hope you are not including my old Taylormade R7 TP's in that category. They became 100% tour legit when Y.E. Yang used them to make Tiger Woods his b.itch last August and win the most recently contested major.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    I hope you are not including my old Taylormade R7 TP's in that category. They became 100% tour legit when Y.E. Yang used them to make Tiger Woods his b.itch last August and win the most recently contested major.
    I wasn't referring to those (I was thinking cheap crap from Slazenger and the like). They are line ball at best, but as you said Yang used the to win a major and whomp Tiger. And you can't use A major win as a litmus test, as those god ugly Nike shovels Immelman used cannot by any definition be called 'tour' irons.

I wasn't referring to those (I was thinking cheap crap from Slazenger and the like). They are line ball at best, but as you said Yang used the to win a major and whomp Tiger. And you can't use A major win as a litmus test, as those god ugly Nike shovels Immelman used cannot by any definition be called 'tour' irons.
    Agreed! The true GR certified litmus test is putting a whipping on Tiger whilst paired with him on the last day of a major. Which is exactly what Y.E. Yang did.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Agreed! The true GR certified litmus test is putting a whipping on Tiger whilst paired with him on the last day of a major. Which is exactly what Y.E. Yang did.
    He may be the first and last guy to achieve that feat. Even if Tiger comes back, he may not be in a mental position to be anywhere near the last group on the last day of a major. I must admit that the last time I saw him he looked like a frightened child who had been in his room crying for hours, not a golfer who had left his footprints all over Sergio, Ernie and Phil's faces.

Back on topic for a second, I played the Z Star again today, and it was a ball I had already got 36 holes out of. I thought about playing a new one this morning, but decided to wait til I got past the 3rd as there are 2 water carries and I can take a while to warm up. I was playing well right out of the gate and kept using it for the whole match, which makes 52 holes out of one ball. It looks a little beat up and got a little smiley on the last hole, so it will go to the shag bag. But 52 holes form a premium ball is pretty good going, I've never played another ball that durable.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I play mostly prov1x. But its a mud molly on the courses in the midwest states. Today I,m breaking out some mint dtsolo and some nxt tours that go like hell. Bite arround the greens is a joke cause the ball just sucks in and stops anyways.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    I play mostly prov1x. But its a mud molly on the courses in the midwest states. Today I,m breaking out some mint dtsolo and some nxt tours that go like hell. Bite arround the greens is a joke cause the ball just sucks in and stops anyways.
    I understand not playing expensive balls in those conditions, but I think you can get better balls for the money than NXT Tours. Topflite D2 distance are way better balls and heaps cheaper.

330S' feel pretty good and tend to do well for me in the wind as well, but I'm a b!tch when it comes to buying balls. I refuse to buy when I find ProV's for.
    Seriously? With the same swing, the 330s is right down the gut, and the 330rx, you can't keep on the golf course? Sounds a little extreme. Any of you other high swing speed beasts can't keep certain balls in play?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

I understand not playing expensive balls in those conditions, but I think you can get better balls for the money than NXT Tours. Topflite D2 distance are way better balls and heaps cheaper.
    OK next time at walmart I will buy some. I lost a couple provs cause the mud kind of sucked them out of sight, that sucked
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

OK next time at walmart I will buy some. I lost a couple provs cause the mud kind of sucked them out of sight, that sucked
    Try the D2 Feels. They're good around the greens as well....
    team obnoxious

Try the D2 Feels. They're good around the greens as well....
    I found the D2 Feels to be too soft if that's possible. The D2 distance have the perfect feel. If all balls performed identicallyand it came down purely to feel, I'd have trouble going past the D2.

I found the D2 Feels to be too soft if that's possible. The D2 distance have the perfect feel. If all balls performed identicallyand it came down purely to feel, I'd have trouble going past the D2.
    Ya I really should try those as my weak spot in my game is distance. I just bought some Cally Hot Plus balls for the match. They seem to be ok but I'll probably go back to the D2's. They're just too good of deal to pass up. $15 for 15 balls? They're every bit as good as a NXT or other $20-25 dollar ball...
    team obnoxious

Ya I really should try those as my weak spot in my game is distance. I just bought some Cally Hot Plus balls for the match. They seem to be ok but I'll probably go back to the D2's. They're just too good of deal to pass up. $15 for 15 balls? They're every bit as good as a NXT or other $20-25 dollar ball...
    Both D2s have good distance. I think the Distance may go a little further than the Feel, but I would put money on the Feel goig further than just about any ball out there. Another thing NS, stick with the D2, don't go for the newer Gamer and Freak. They are different balls and feel hard in comparison, and don't preform as well. I think Top Flite dropped the ball, so to speak, in disontinuing the D2. It makes me mad how manufactureres think they have to bring out 'new' and 'improved' balls every six months. I think if they decided to leave their balls alone for an extended period, they would build up a loyalty. I wold have ben still using the D2 if I could get it, but I won't touch the Gamers or Freaks.

Both D2s have good distance. I think the Distance may go a little further than the Feel, but I would put money on the Feel goig further than just about any ball out there. Another thing NS, stick with the D2, don't go for the newer Gamer and Freak. They are different balls and feel hard in comparison, and don't preform as well. I think Top Flite dropped the ball, so to speak, in disontinuing the D2. It makes me mad how manufactureres think they have to bring out 'new' and 'improved' balls every six months. I think if they decided to leave their balls alone for an extended period, they would build up a loyalty. I wold have ben still using the D2 if I could get it, but I won't touch the Gamers or Freaks.
    HUH? I haven't heard about this? This is blasphemy!!(go spell check go!) .......OK I did some quick checking and it looks like Walmart is not going to carry them but thats all I found??
    team obnoxious

Well it looks as though Top Flight doesn't have a 2010 D2.... So sad....
    team obnoxious

NAH, I just got on the Top Flight site and checked the specs on this and their "ball compression" spec for the Feel is 64 and the Distance is 58. I'm not sure what that number represents but it seems the Feel is harder than the distance???? I tried the Diva's and they were too soft. They don't have the spec on that on the website.
    I'm gonna stock up on these babies......
    team obnoxious

I played titleist dt-so/los today. I had laying around since an impulse buy last summer, mint balls. They are nice off irons, 3 woods were fine,actually amazing, driver was a little wild. With provs that was not the case. Drives were straighter. Kind of one, nice long one though, A guy walking by hiself catches us, we were on the eighth tee, and we go you can finish with us, or wait, were only playing 9. We all hit, and my brother hits a wild one to the left, I tell him just hit another, its way short, its a little par 3. The guy hits pulls his left, close to my brothers first ball. The guy chips his twice, 2 putts,double bogeys,leaves,did not help my brother look 10 yards or so from his ball, for his, which would be away. Mine was on, and I was waiting, watching this a,@sshole. The ninth,when we get there, hes teed and halfway down the fairway.A 367yards par 4. Its 52 degrees, and the suns going down. Now were waiting on this jackoff. Hes on his third shot and inside the hundred finally, I go piss on him, pull my John Daly Lion headcover. I,m gonna rattle his cage, and hit. It lands just left of him, I figure I got 10- 20 yards from him, on his third shot,with my first shot. Thats 287 cause I was 20 easy yards inside the 100 and all carry, cause it caught the sloppy wet rough. But I,m gonna buy some d2 distance balls and check em out, not many balls have distance, accuracy, bite around the greens, and are cheap. I gotta see this. Is that better noshuz?
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 03-08-2010 at 04:27 AM.

I played dtsolos today I had laying around since a impulse buy last summer mint balls. They are nice off irons, 3woods were fine,actually amazing, driver was a little wild. With provs that was not the case. Kind of one nice long one, A guy walking by hiself, we were on the eighth tee, and go you can finish with us. We all hit and bro hits a wild one to the left, I tell him just hit another, its way short, its a little par 3. The guy hits pulls his left close to bros ball, and kind of finishes his shots, bogeys,leaves, while my bro is looking for his wild one, and chipping his on, mine was on and I was waiting, watching this a,@sshole. The ninth hes teed and halfway down the fairway 367yards its 52 degrees and hes inside the hundred, I go piss on him I,m gonna rattle his cage, and hit one just left of him, I figure I got 10- 20 yards from him, on his third shot. thats 287 cause I was 20 easy yards inside the 100 and all carry cause it caught the sloppy wet rough. But I,m gonna buy some d2 distance and check em out, not many balls have distance, accuracy, bite around the greens, and are cheap. I gotta see this
    You might want to put that in Engrish??
    team obnoxious

I guess what I meant was in cooler weather most balls lose distance, and I was impressed how far a not known for distance ball went. And if a premium ball such as the prov1x would have actually went 10 more yards and one or two yards straighter and hit the guy? On a fixed rate swing device, what really are the differences between the balls we get in the retail setting. Balls are so subjective , certain ones probably wont work for some players, but work for another player. Whose an engineer on this board, that can throw a machine together, that swings at balls, at are known driver, iron, etc.trackman crap speeds, and helps pick a ball best suited, thats unbiasd? We could be surprised by what actually works.

I still think the B330 is the best, at least for my game. I do need to try the Callaway Tours, though. That is the only ball I have not played with.

Is that better noshuz. Grammar was a class I slept alot in. It was right after lunch, so I was stoned or drunk or whatever we did in highschool. My education stopped in the 11th grade when I moved to Acapulco Mexico. And learned another language, and how to be a beach bum. Actually I bought a fishing boat, a 31 foot Bertram, and ran it for a couple years. Sorry sometimes I think in two languages very confusing

Is that better noshuz. Grammar was a class I slept alot in. It was right after lunch, so I was stoned or drunk or whatever we did in highschool. My education stopped in the 11th grade when I moved to Acapulco Mexico. And learned another language, and how to be a beach bum. Actually I bought a fishing boat, a 31 foot Bertram, and ran it for a couple years. Sorry sometimes I think in two languages very confusing
    Sorry 12sandwich. When I read your original post last night (yes I had a buzz or better) I couldn't make sense of it to save my life. I lost ya after the 3rd sentence or so. It's a little better this morning!!...
    team obnoxious

I buy whatever premium balls are going cheap. Every year or two, they come out with new models and the previous ones get cheap. If I can buy a box of Cally tour balls for $25 I play them. I've gotten a lot of TP reds and blacks that way since the Penta came out. I have Bridgestone B330, Srixon z-urc, but oddly enough, no Titties ever go on sale cheap around me. I haven't played a Tittie in years now, just because they never go on sale.

And I don't find much difference between tour-grade golf balls. I suspect the Srixon Z-URC is a tad shorter than others, and the Cally 56 is probably longest of them, but we're talking a few yards with driver. TP Red and BLack have been very good to me for distance and accuracy. whatever they're capable of on 40 yard wedge shots isn't that important to me, since I am not the wizard of backspin. I just try to set it in there close.

But on any given day I'd play B330 or S, Cally of any tour grade (nice click off the clubface), Pro V1 if I got them cheap (never happens), TP red or black, Srixon tour models, whatever the pros play, I'd play. Balls is balls. Not much diff.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I buy whatever premium balls are going cheap. Every year or two, they come out with new models and the previous ones get cheap. If I can buy a box of Cally tour balls for $25 I play them. I've gotten a lot of TP reds and blacks that way since the Penta came out. I have Bridgestone B330, Srixon z-urc, but oddly enough, no Titties ever go on sale cheap around me. I haven't played a Tittie in years now, just because they never go on sale.

And I don't find much difference between tour-grade golf balls. I suspect the Srixon Z-URC is a tad shorter than others, and the Cally 56 is probably longest of them, but we're talking a few yards with driver. TP Red and BLack have been very good to me for distance and accuracy. whatever they're capable of on 40 yard wedge shots isn't that important to me, since I am not the wizard of backspin. I just try to set it in there close.

But on any given day I'd play B330 or S, Cally of any tour grade (nice click off the clubface), Pro V1 if I got them cheap (never happens), TP red or black, Srixon tour models, whatever the pros play, I'd play. Balls is balls. Not much diff.
    Every once in a while, 3balls.com will run a $35.99 deal on their Pro V1 or V1x balls whenever they have a "logo overstock." The balls have some logo on them that will not ever be relevant to you or your area, but hell, they're still brand new balls.

Every once in a while, 3balls.com will run a $35.99 deal on their Pro V1 or V1x balls whenever they have a "logo overstock." The balls have some logo on them that will not ever be relevant to you or your area, but hell, they're still brand new balls.
    True, but that price is still to high for me. I find tour grade balls regularly at $26 here and there, when they're getting rid of last years models or overstock.

NEVER ProV1, but the rest can all be had. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

does anyone play with like new balls pond balls or found balls
    i play with some pond balls or found balls
    i play with prov 1 taylor made red or blacks have not bought new balls in a few years
    played just about every ball

Quote Originally Posted by HackDaddy57
    does anyone play with like new balls pond balls or found balls
    i play with some pond balls or found balls
    i play with prov 1 taylor made red or blacks have not bought new balls in a few years
    played just about every ball
    I love playing with pond balls or found balls or like new balls but dont play with black balls or red balls but sometimes I have blue balls I especially like lake balls but not rough balls or small creek balls

I love playing with pond balls or found balls or like new balls but dont play with black balls or red balls but sometimes I have blue balls I especially like lake balls but not rough balls or small creek balls
    Oh I need my waders again!.....Check your PM.......
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins

This pretty much sums up my philosophy on buying golf balls. I never pay full price for latest model balls, I wait til they run out old stock. Like you I have never found a good deal on ProV1, ever, so I never buy any. I found the Z-URC to actually be longer than most others, and spun like crazy, but was a tad to firm off the putter for me to keep it in the bag. The only brand new latest model balls I get are from the ball comp at my local club, as you can't cash it in or redeem it for anything else. Even though this takes price out of the equation I still use the Srixon Z-Star, I just prefer it to the V1 or V1 X.

Thread Information