|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Bat left handed.... throw, write & GOLF right handed.

So, I grew up playing baseball as a kid... I was always able to switch hit but felt more comfortable and natural batting left, meaning I had more power in my swing... around that same time I got into golf with a childhood friend... (we were around 13).. and since he and his family were right handed golfers... I grew up golfing in a right handed stance..... So now 23, recently getting back into the game of golf and I was thinking to myself... since I'm more comfortable batting left, maybe I would have a better golf game with LH clubs.. even though right feels more natural since I've never tried LH clubs.... I went into my backyard this morning and tried swinging my RH clubs in LH stance, and it didn't feel bad. I understand I would have to re-learn certain techniques about a proper swing but I'm wondering if I stuck with it, I would have a better golf game in the long run... So I'm basically asking just for a little advice...

Recently went to demo some new irons (Ping G15's), and I was swinging a 6 Iron about 130mph, hitting it about 170-185 yards, all shots were straight. (the demo man said I would definitely need to upgrade to X100 shafts)

Do you think I should try to reformat my swing to LH and see what kind of affect it has on me, if its worth the time/effort.... or should I just stick with my RH clubs and keep at it.

Thanks for reading, appreciate any input.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I am naturally left handed but play golf right handed due to had me down clubs. I couldn't play left handed to save my life. If you have been playing golf right handed since you started it is possibly not worth the effort of relearning, especially if you are a decent ball striker.

Alright, ill take your advice since its prob the only reply ill get.. RH it is, now to go buy the G15's...

I'm just like you. I'm right handed who plays golf right handed but bats left handed. I learned to bat left handed back in elementary school, and it was an advantage then because they always put the worst player in right field, so there was a good chance that a ball hit in the air wouldn't be caught. Later, I found the advantage of one step closer to first base on a bunt or ground ball to the hole, and a right hander's curve coming from outside toward the plate, rather than curving over my body inside to out.
    I've never tried golfing left handed, but I have heard countless complaints on various golf boards about lefties having trouble getting particular clubs, or getting them in a limited number of lofts. Manufacturers often omit left handed clubs in certain models.
    It's something like waterskiing, I think. Whether you put the left foot forward of the right foot foward really doesn't make that much difference. It's whatever you get used to doing.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I'm just like you. I'm right handed who plays golf right handed but bats left handed. I learned to bat left handed back in elementary school, and it was an advantage then because they always put the worst player in right field, so there was a good chance that a ball hit in the air wouldn't be caught. Later, I found the advantage of one step closer to first base on a bunt or ground ball to the hole, and a right hander's curve coming from outside toward the plate, rather than curving over my body inside to out.
    I've never tried golfing left handed, but I have heard countless complaints on various golf boards about lefties having trouble getting particular clubs, or getting them in a limited number of lofts. Manufacturers often omit left handed clubs in certain models.
    It's something like waterskiing, I think. Whether you put the left foot forward of the right foot foward really doesn't make that much difference. It's whatever you get used to doing.
    lol!, some great baseball strategies you had.. Although I may gain some more power/distance if I changed to LH, who knows how bad it would affect my accuracy.. so ill just stick with RH since ive been told my swing looks great... why ruin that thanks guys

EDIT: the G15's.... a good choice for someone returning to golf after a few years?
    Last edited by Krobar; 03-05-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Trying to learn how to swing left handed will probably be too hard and a waste of time, but it might be worth trying putting from the left side. Putting left handed is something you could pick up quite easily, and you might be better at it if you are using your dominant side.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Trying to learn how to swing left handed will probably be too hard and a waste of time, but it might be worth trying putting from the left side. Putting left handed is something you could pick up quite easily, and you might be better at it if you are using your dominant side.
    thats interesting.. I do sort of feel more balance putting left.. ill give it a shot, thx bud

My youngest son has this issue. He writes left handed but plays golf right handed. When he was first starting I bought him right and left handed clubs and he was much better right handed so we stuck with it. He shoots a basket ball left handed but throws a baseball right handed! Frustrating as hell!

Krobar,

Just for your info, SBD1 has been owned on GR and shouldn't be listened to.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Krobar,

Just for your info, SBD1 has been owned on GR and shouldn't be listened to.
    lol, ill take note of that and proceed with caution

There is a few other reasons to stick with the game as a right hander...

1) With the market the way it is, more company's are producing equipment in right hand and phasing out left handed versions...not so much OEMS at this time, but more in the component side.

2) Many launch monitors are made for "righties" only.

3) if you travel much and decide to play at a course that provides club rentals...many only rent right handed clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    There is a few other reasons to stick with the game as a right hander...

1) With the market the way it is, more company's are producing equipment in right hand and phasing out left handed versions...not so much OEMS at this time, but more in the component side.

2) Many launch monitors are made for "righties" only.

3) if you travel much and decide to play at a course that provides club rentals...many only rent right handed clubs.
    true, I've decided its in my best interest to continue RH for both putting and clubs..

PS, vijay's 65 ft birdie putt yesterday was so beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Krobar

Do you think I should try to reformat my swing to LH and see what kind of affect it has on me, if its worth the time/effort.... or should I just stick with my RH clubs and keep at it.

speaking as a rockin' lefty who throws, bats and kicks left but golfs right (dad's clubs, yada yada) I wouldn't change a thing.

Being powerful from the left side is a net plus for right handed golf. I learned how to play well very quickly, went from starter to sub 80 shooter in two years. Couldn't have done that as a lefty, too twitchy and power-oriented. Even now, knowing the golf swing as well as I do, I cannot even make CONTACT with a golf ball swinging lefthanded. It is just not worth the time and effort for dubious reward.

Play rightie, enjoy the larger offerings of equipment, and use that left side to pull the club through for controllable power. Ben Hogan was left handed.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by Krobar
    So, I grew up playing baseball as a kid... I was always able to switch hit but felt more comfortable and natural batting left, meaning I had more power in my swing... around that same time I got into golf with a childhood friend... (we were around 13).. and since he and his family were right handed golfers... I grew up golfing in a right handed stance..... So now 23, recently getting back into the game of golf and I was thinking to myself... since I'm more comfortable batting left, maybe I would have a better golf game with LH clubs.. even though right feels more natural since I've never tried LH clubs.... I went into my backyard this morning and tried swinging my RH clubs in LH stance, and it didn't feel bad. I understand I would have to re-learn certain techniques about a proper swing but I'm wondering if I stuck with it, I would have a better golf game in the long run... So I'm basically asking just for a little advice...

Recently went to demo some new irons (Ping G15's), and I was swinging a 6 Iron about 130mph, hitting it about 170-185 yards, all shots were straight. (the demo man said I would definitely need to upgrade to X100 shafts)

You should listen to me because I'm the best player on this forum. My ballstriking is probably the best of any forum on the net. I'm also a gentleman of the game and know how to play it properly. I'm well educated and well versed in the mental aspect of the game as well. With all of that said I think you should go buy a set of right handed Ping Eye 2 irons (square groove model). You'll never be as good as me but you can smile knowing that you play the same clubs as a legend. Now be off with you and quit bragging about how far you hit the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    You should listen to me because I'm the best player on this forum. My ballstriking is probably the best of any forum on the net. I'm also a gentleman of the game and know how to play it properly. I'm well educated and well versed in the mental aspect of the game as well. With all of that said I think you should go buy a set of right handed Ping Eye 2 irons (square groove model). You'll never be as good as me but you can smile knowing that you play the same clubs as a legend. Now be off with you and quit bragging about how far you hit the ball.
    The previous is a spasm of rank jealousy from a GR member who envies anyone cleverly bragging on their own game, cleverness being a bit thin on the ground in FD's posts.

But I"m 'eyeing' a set of eye 2's on Ebay. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    My youngest son has this issue. He writes left handed but plays golf right handed. When he was first starting I bought him right and left handed clubs and he was much better right handed so we stuck with it. He shoots a basket ball left handed but throws a baseball right handed! Frustrating as hell!
    awhile back, when I was doing radio in Cleveland, I got to be friends with Mike Hargrove the baseball guy and his family. He is right handed but when he was a kid his dad taught him to hit left... said it would make him more valuable. And it did.

They called him the Human Rain Delay.

I played golf with him about 18 years ago. He played rightie. CRUSHED the ball. Sounded like he needed a new ball after every drive. I thought about it at the time and realized I was a lefty playing right handed golf with a right handed guy who batted left handed for the Texas Rangers. Bizarre.

I recalled to him in 1993 that I had gotten his autograph at Arlington Stadium in 1974 when he was rookie of the year. He decided that made him seem old.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    The previous is a spasm of rank jealousy from a GR member who envies anyone cleverly bragging on their own game, cleverness being a bit thin on the ground in FD's posts.

But I"m 'eyeing' a set of eye 2's on Ebay. :-)

Dave, you need to man up and buy them. Make sure you get the square groove version and then let me know how they play. You will love them, especially the long irons.

@famousdavis

Spyglass huh? I am from there as well. I just played Laguna today. Cold, wet and windy... didn't do so well

Dave, you need to man up and buy them. Make sure you get the square groove version and then let me know how they play. You will love them, especially the long irons.
    I'm not sure that 'man up' is the most appropriate term in this context.

I'm not sure that 'man up' is the most appropriate term in this context.
    I claim a history of such manhood. I played Ping Zings for fourteen years.

I'd go back to them if I had to. they were great... long, high flights, and way more workable than anyone would believe. I hit some great draws and fades with them, and I used the two iron off the tee constantly.

While I have never been manly enough for the eye 2, I suspect I get at least some small credit for being a Zinger.

Then I switched to Adams paddles and put on the ole' skirt.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I claim a history of such manhood. I played Ping Zings for fourteen years.

I'd go back to them if I had to. they were great... long, high flights, and way more workable than anyone would believe. I hit some great draws and fades with them, and I used the two iron off the tee constantly.

While I have never been manly enough for the eye 2, I suspect I get at least some small credit for being a Zinger.

Then I switched to Adams paddles and put on the ole' skirt.
    If you look at the club review section for Zings you'll notice a high rating. I tried them and didn't like them. I hit them much shorter than the Eye 2 and the long irons were ballooners.

If you look at the club review section for Zings you'll notice a high rating. I tried them and didn't like them. I hit them much shorter than the Eye 2 and the long irons were ballooners.
    You do realize you're describing shaft deficiencies, don't you? Not that this is out of place in a discussion on manhood. But iron heads are iron heads, and you trade feel and workability for forgiveness and consistency. Pings hit higher than other clubs of the same loft because of the head design, but ONLY if the shaft is not a variable. A low flexpoint shaft of insufficient stiffness will flat out launch a ball into the stratosphere, with ANY iron head on it.

I used Ping JZ (?) shafts in stiff, and they were perfect for me The stock Ping steel shaft. Long irons were LONG, never ballooned. Although ping lofts are a degree higher than my current Adams, they hit the ball about the same distance.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

You do realize you're describing shaft deficiencies, don't you? Not that this is out of place in a discussion on manhood. But iron heads are iron heads, and you trade feel and workability for forgiveness and consistency. Pings hit higher than other clubs of the same loft because of the head design, but ONLY if the shaft is not a variable. A low flexpoint shaft of insufficient stiffness will flat out launch a ball into the stratosphere, with ANY iron head on it.

I used Ping JZ (?) shafts in stiff, and they were perfect for me The stock Ping steel shaft. Long irons were LONG, never ballooned. Although ping lofts are a degree higher than my current Adams, they hit the ball about the same distance.
    Dave, that's not always true. I had the Zings with the Ping KT-M shaft and at the time I also had a set of Ping Eye 2+ irons with the Ping KT-M shaft. The Eye 2+ had weaker lofts than the Zings but I hit them lower, longer and they felt much better. In short, I had the same exact shaft in both irons yet the yardage I achieved with the Zings was much shorter. I think the Zing had a heavier head and too much weight lower in the sole. Also, for whatever reason the KT-M shaft tended to bend at the hosel with the Zings and that's why Ping very quickly replaced them with the JZ shaft. Ping will still take any Zing club with a KT-M shaft and replace it with the JZ. I hate the JZ shaft by the way. Way too flexible and just doesn't feel right. The ZZ lite is perfect for me. Same with the Z-Z65.

Dave, that's not always true. I had the Zings with the Ping KT-M shaft and at the time I also had a set of Ping Eye 2+ irons with the Ping KT-M shaft. The Eye 2+ had weaker lofts than the Zings but I hit them lower, longer and they felt much better. In short, I had the same exact shaft in both irons yet the yardage I achieved with the Zings was much shorter. I think the Zing had a heavier head and too much weight lower in the sole. Also, for whatever reason the KT-M shaft tended to bend at the hosel with the Zings and that's why Ping very quickly replaced them with the JZ shaft. Ping will still take any Zing club with a KT-M shaft and replace it with the JZ. I hate the JZ shaft by the way. Way too flexible and just doesn't feel right. The ZZ lite is perfect for me. Same with the Z-Z65.
    well I never had a problem with the Zings in distance or flight. They were long and accurate, with the JZ in stiff. different strokes, as they say.. :-) But perhaps if I hit the EYe2 I would think it was the ultimate.

My old father in law has a set of beryllium copper Eye 2 that he's had since the 80s.. maybe I can inherit them. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

well I never had a problem with the Zings in distance or flight. They were long and accurate, with the JZ in stiff. different strokes, as they say.. :-) But perhaps if I hit the EYe2 I would think it was the ultimate.

My old father in law has a set of beryllium copper Eye 2 that he's had since the 80s.. maybe I can inherit them. :-)
    I have tried the BeCu version and I didn't like the feel. This sounds strange but I lost distance with them as well. You can get a set of Eye 2's on ebay for around $140. You could give them a try and if you don't like them take some better photos, readvertise them on Ebay and sell them for more.

I have tried the BeCu version and I didn't like the feel. This sounds strange but I lost distance with them as well. You can get a set of Eye 2's on ebay for around $140. You could give them a try and if you don't like them take some better photos, readvertise them on Ebay and sell them for more.
    In all seriousness FD, I know alot of guys who still play Eye 2s and wouldn't swap them for anything, but I don't thinkI could ever get used to the offset. I have a set of shovels which are similar looking to some of the Pings, but mine don't have much offset.

In all seriousness FD, I know alot of guys who still play Eye 2s and wouldn't swap them for anything, but I don't thinkI could ever get used to the offset. I have a set of shovels which are similar looking to some of the Pings, but mine don't have much offset.
    There is no doubt they are offset but for whatever reason I can aim them better than any other club I've tried. The thing I like is the open look the club has at address...something to do with the way the toe was designed. Ping's newer offerings, like the G15, don't have the same open look on the toe and it makes the offset look more pronounced and it makes me feel like I'm going to hook everything. I also like the Ping S59 which doesn't have much offset at all and feels great. I'll probably play them on Friday. Another cavity back I've tried and really like is the Taylormade Tour Burner Irons that came out a couple of years ago. Very little offset with great feel. I usually hate TM stuff but I liked these.

Thread Information