|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Matchplay etiquette

In addition to matchplay strategies, as magnificently tabled in BCP's epic Matchplay Strategies thread, I thought we need to discuss proper matchplay ettiquette. I will try to give a serious appraisal, then throw it open to the peanut gallery for their comments.

I have played a couple of games of matchplay in inter club Pennants the last few weeks, and on reflection I have noticed a couple of differences between matchplay etiquette and stroke play etiquette, at least from my perspective.

The first difference is that in matchplay it is not good form to be overtly exuberant when you chip in from off the green or sink a long putt. In strokeplay such a result could expect a huge "C'mon!" followed by a fist pumping and the like. But in matchplay, such antics would be considered poor sportsmanship (if Tiger carried on in matchplay like he does in majors he would look like a bad sport), as we have all been in the situation of having to watch an opponent win a hole with a lucky shot and don't want our noses rubbed in it. Conversely, when your opponent makes a lucky shot, etiquette dictates you must smile and say 'good shot' and just move on. If you show your disgust, or spit in the cup, you will be labelled a whiny little biach.

I suppose some of the above can vary depending on who you are playing. If I was playing a little biach like Sergio I would have no trouble rubbing his slimy Spanish nose right in it, but the guys I have been playing were good guys and our matches were plaeyed in good spirit. I think you can play hard nosed golf and still keep it friendly.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    In addition to matchplay strategies, as magnificently tabled in BCP's epic Matchplay Strategies thread, I thought we need to discuss proper matchplay ettiquette. I will try to give a serious appraisal, then throw it open to the peanut gallery for their comments.

I have played a couple of games of matchplay in inter club Pennants the last few weeks, and on reflection I have noticed a couple of differences between matchplay etiquette and stroke play etiquette, at least from my perspective.

The first difference is that in matchplay it is not good form to be overtly exuberant when you chip in from off the green or sink a long putt. In strokeplay such a result could expect a huge "C'mon!" followed by a fist pumping and the like (if Tiger carried on in matchplay like he does in majors he would look like a bad sport). But in matchplay, such antics would be considered poor sportsmanship, as we have all been in the situation of having to watch an opponent win a hole with a lucky shot and don't want our noses rubbed in it. Conversely, when your opponent makes a lucky shot, etiquette dictates you must smile and say 'good shot' and just move on. If you show your disgust, or spit in the cup, you will be labelled a whiny little biach.

I suppose some of the above can vary depending on who you are playing. If I was playing a little biach like Sergio I would have no trouble rubbing his slimy Spanish nose right in it, but the guys I have been playing were good guys and our matches were plaeyed in good spirit. I think you can play hard nosed golf and still keep it friendly.
    Throw the club and tell them to go fukk themselves, aye.

Quote Originally Posted by 0MEN2
    Throw the club and tell them to go fukk themselves, aye.
    Are you on first name basis with Fred 3.1, 3.2 etc?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

We are all butt-buddies...Call me at 1-800-FUDGPKR

I think that's likely . . . .

As for your original post, I have never played in a matchplay event, but with a new men's club started at my course, I will bring it up to our tournament director who seems very excited and energetic on filling our upcoming season with a variety of tournaments and formats.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I think that's likely . . . .

As for your original post, I have never played in a matchplay event, but with a new men's club started at my course, I will bring it up to our tournament director who seems very excited and energetic on filling our upcoming season with a variety of tournaments and formats.
    As well as playing a couple of times, I have caddied for our major Pennants team for a few years, and I can assure you that inter club relations can turn very sour if matches aren't played in the right spirit. Calling rulings on your opponent, like waiting for your opponent to hit a shot form in front of the markers then making them replay the shot when they hit it stiff, or giving the impression that you are conceeding a gimme by slightly nodding your head, but then saying you didn't give him the putt and claiming the hole when your opponent to proceeds to pick it up (this happened to one of our guys in a final, which basically cost us the Pennant) can leave long lasting wounds. I agree that rules are rules, but as far as I'm concerned a nod is as good as a "that's good" when the ball is less than a foot from the hole.

Matchplay is a great format when played in the right spirit, but humans being what they are, there will always be a few dikheads who try to be too smart with the rulebook. There are some guys who seem to spend their time sweating on opponents mistakes so they can jump on them and impress everyone with their knowledge of the rules, instead of alerting the opponent before he makes the infrongement (in top flight matchplay I can understand people being sticklers for the rules, but in intra club events some of the participants will be newbs and need guidance, not punishment). These dikheads will be identified very quickly in matchplay (if not already well known at your club).

Agree with all that NAH. Some other thoughts..... In match play you never stand too close to your opponent when he is making a shot, and never in front (to the side) of him. In normal club play you often wait within a few paces or walk to your ball ahead if it is not in another playes line. Not so in matchplay. It is also proper etiqutte not to comment on his game other than good shot or putt etc. In club play that is not the case. Also if it is a reasonably close call as to whose shot it is, even if you think it is yours, you always ask your opponent for his opinion. There is probably more but that will do for now.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Agree with all that NAH. Some other thoughts..... In match play you never stand too close to your opponent when he is making a shot, and never in front (to the side) of him. In normal club play you often wait within a few paces or walk to your ball ahead if it is not in another playes line. Not so in matchplay. It is also proper etiqutte not to comment on his game other than good shot or putt etc. In club play that is not the case. Also if it is a reasonably close call as to whose shot it is, even if you think it is yours, you always ask your opponent for his opinion. There is probably more but that will do for now.
    Yes, coaching your opponent is deifnitely a no no in matchplay, and i always make it clear with my opponent who is away on the green. I think in matchplay you also need to more strictly adhere to the rules re: who's away. In strokeplay you often hit out of turn to save time and keep the pace of play moving, but in matchplay it is against the rules, and strategic suicide, to allow your opponent to play out of turn.

Quote Originally Posted by 0MEN2
    We are all butt-buddies...Call me at 1-800-FUDGPKR
    What a couple of dicks we are, eh? At least I'm revered around here. You? Not so much.

I've never had a contentious matchplay round, but I've heard a few stories. Not my scene to be an asss about the small stuff. Really the only difference between stroke and matchplay is that I make sure to hit in turn.
    I do have an honest matchplay strategy that has worked well in the past. Play the first couple holes aggressively. I've had matches where the other guy folds it up early if you can get out to an early lead. I'm definitely not a matchplay expert though. I have played probably 30 rounds of matchplay during real comps and I'm sure my winning % is under 40%.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

The last match I played, I doubled the 17th to let him draw even (not on purpose, mind you), then birdied the 18th to win.

And my opponent conceded the three footer to me.

That is either a well bred quality gentleman golfer or a complete quitter/loser with no killer instinct.

He was a Frenchman. Decide amongst yourselves.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    The last match I played, I doubled the 17th to let him draw even (not on purpose, mind you), then birdied the 18th to win.

And my opponent conceded the three footer to me.

That is either a well bred quality gentleman golfer or a complete quitter/loser with no killer instinct.

He was a Frenchman. Decide amongst yourselves.
    Was the guy out of the hole already? I could see conceding from 3 feet if I had already missed my par, but there is no way I'm giving a 3 footer to close me out.
    The one thing I hate about most of the match play I've played is that the handicap system seems to favor the choppers more than the good players. I remember shooting under my cap and losing to a 20 capper who shot something in the mid 90's. 99% of all high handicappers have around 5 blowup holes, a bunch of bogies, and a couple pars. That makes it tough to beat since their bogies are net pars, their pars are net birds, and their others only cost them one hole.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Was the guy out of the hole already? I could see conceding from 3 feet if I had already missed my par, but there is no way I'm giving a 3 footer to close me out.
    The one thing I hate about most of the match play I've played is that the handicap system seems to favor the choppers more than the good players. I remember shooting under my cap and losing to a 20 capper who shot something in the mid 90's. 99% of all high handicappers have around 5 blowup holes, a bunch of bogies, and a couple pars. That makes it tough to beat since their bogies are net pars, their pars are net birds, and their others only cost them one hole.

As I recall, on the par five 18th at Golf Louvain La Neuve in central Belgium, I got it to the front edge in two and he missed right with a wedge.. he had a birdie chip but mine was for eagle... I got it to three feet, he said pick it up... then he chipped for bird from the second cut and missed. So the concession wasn't the end of the match, but he really didn't have much of a chance to hole the bird... scruffy lie, etc.

we were well matched capwise, and in fact we shot the same score, 80. I second your emotion on the crap matches between ppl separated by 15 or more handicap shots. Ick. Their OCTUPLE bogies don't hurt them any more than double bogies would, and their long-putt lucky pars for net bird beat your hard earned pars like a rented mule.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Yeah....only crossdressing gender question marks and the french concedes a threet footer for the match. It's likely he had a crush on you, too, which makes him beyond strange.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Yeah....only crossdressing gender question marks and the french concedes a threet footer for the match. It's likely he had a crush on you, too, which makes him beyond strange.
    He was sort of dashing, now that you mention it. And the horizontally striped tight collarless shirt only barely got past the club dress code. The black beret was, of course, for sale in the pro shop.

The cigarettes stunk, but he held them delicately backwards between thumb and index finger.

And he politely surrendered.

the stereotypes were all true.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

As I recall, on the par five 18th at Golf Louvain La Neuve in central Belgium, I got it to the front edge in two and he missed right with a wedge.. he had a birdie chip but mine was for eagle... I got it to three feet, he said pick it up... then he chipped for bird from the second cut and missed. So the concession wasn't the end of the match, but he really didn't have much of a chance to hole the bird... scruffy lie, etc.

we were well matched capwise, and in fact we shot the same score, 80. I second your emotion on the crap matches between ppl separated by 15 or more handicap shots. Ick. Their OCTUPLE bogies don't hurt them any more than double bogies would, and their long-putt lucky pars for net bird beat your hard earned pars like a rented mule.
    It's a sickening feeling, knowing you need to make birdies just to tie a hole when a chopper somehow gets a GIR.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Matchplay is only the proper game when it is off the stick. Handicap matchplay is a bastardization.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I'm pretty short with my opponents. I'm there to beat them, not to have some pointless conversation about boring topics. I don't care about them or their family or what they do for a living. I'm there to humiliate them and send them home early. The best way to get under your opponent's skin is to ignore them a few times. I'll usually tell them my name and have a bit of a conversation but then I'll ignore the last question they ask. I try to make them feel like the last question they asked was innappropriate. I want them to feel as if they are beneath me....which they are.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I'm pretty short with my opponents. I'm there to beat them, not to have some pointless conversation about boring topics. I don't care about them or their family or what they do for a living. I'm there to humiliate them and send them home early. The best way to get under your opponent's skin is to ignore them a few times. I'll usually tell them my name and have a bit of a conversation but then I'll ignore the last question they ask. I try to make them feel like the last question they asked was innappropriate. I want them to feel as if they are beneath me....which they are.

Well it's about time one of you talked smack about your "upcoming" match. Time to behave like "men".
    GR lives...

Matchplay is only the proper game when it is off the stick. Handicap matchplay is a bastardization.
    In Oz, do you play a lot of matches off the stick? Our club only has ONE freakin' tournament without caps. We may have some minor stroke play comps where there is a net and gross winner, but everything is pretty much played with caps.
    There are 2 guys in my regular group who are within a shot of my cap, and it's much more fun to play with them. None of this stroke garbage.
    And the other that kills me is that if I lose money to a chopper, they feel entitled to brag about it as if they beat me. Yeah, they may win $10 or so, but they lost by 6 shots. Good job! My cash should be quietly pocketed unless I am beaten straight up.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

If you try to ignore me I'll just have to tap into my military background. I'll pull the ol' Drill Sargent routine and scream into one ear from very close proximity........
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    If you try to ignore me I'll just have to tap into my military background. I'll pull the ol' Drill Sargent routine and scream into one ear from very close proximity........

That's it?? That's you talking s.hit?? And you were in the military no less? You have a responsibility here to bring it. Come on, dude, you're representing GR.
    GR lives...

I eat Marines for breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    That's it?? That's you talking s.hit?? And you were in the military no less? You have a responsibility here to bring it. Come on, dude, you're representing GR.
    Oh PAALEEZE! Sorry disappoint Zo But I haven't caved to peer pressure since junior high school. Don't try to egg me on......
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

FD, here's one for your arsenal, as you seem to have no aversion to being a dickhole on the course. After shaking your opponent's hand before the match, immediately bust out a bottle of hand sanitizer and slather it on like you just touched Chrisina Kim's ham wallet.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Oh PAALEEZE! Sorry disappoint Zo But I haven't caved to peer pressure since junior high school. Don't try to egg me on......
    Forget the peer pressure, think only of self respect.
    GR lives...

Forget peer pressure, think about self respect. The it's not important/good guy thing is fear of failure, nothing more, nothing less.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    FD, here's one for your arsenal, as you seem to have no aversion to being a dickhole on the course. After shaking your opponent's hand before the match, immediately bust out a bottle of hand sanitizer and slather it on like you just touched Chrisina Kim's ham wallet.

I like it! Another good strategy is to never laugh at any attempt of humor from your opponent. The best, however, is the one or two word answer when your opponent is obviously trying to start a friendly conversation. Here's an example:

My opponent and I were on the first tee getting ready for our match. I was using a Cal State Long Beach bag that my friend gave me because mine had broken on the previous day. My opponent obviously wanted to get a conversation going so he said "So, what was it like playing on the Long Beach golf team?". I simply replied "I didn't" and offered no explanation of the golf bag or anything else. Needless to say his confidence was broken and he literally self imploded on the first 5 holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    In Oz, do you play a lot of matches off the stick? Our club only has ONE freakin' tournament without caps. We may have some minor stroke play comps where there is a net and gross winner, but everything is pretty much played with caps.
    There are 2 guys in my regular group who are within a shot of my cap, and it's much more fun to play with them. None of this stroke garbage.
    And the other that kills me is that if I lose money to a chopper, they feel entitled to brag about it as if they beat me. Yeah, they may win $10 or so, but they lost by 6 shots. Good job! My cash should be quietly pocketed unless I am beaten straight up.
    Inter club Pennants is played off the stick, but like you guys most of our club competitions are handicapped. we ahave a monthly medal which is a stroke round, but the winner in each grade is till the nett winner. There is a prize for scratch but it's the minor prize. The clubchampionships are decided on scratch scores, and the matchplay section is also off the stick. My club has two big events which are off scratch, and most clubs have at least one torunament a year which is also off scratch. Other thatn that, it's like the US. High handicapper choppers 'winning' the event of the day.

Thread Information