|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

New practice routine paying dividends

I have found the secret to my short game, and no, it's nothing out of the Pelz School. I have a patterned carpet in my basement that has raised squares about 2 inches wide. I bought some Cally practice balls (the soft indoor kind) for my daughter to play with. She's got a plastic driver, iron, and putter. She is pretty hilarious with her golfing, but I digress.
    I drop those down on the carpet, some are down in the squares, some are sitting on top. I chip or pitch each ball trying to land it on the couch from about 20 feet away. It's the equivalent to a good lie vs. a ball sitting down in the rough. My chipping was pretty deadly yesterday and it usually sucks for the first month or so of the season.
    Anyone else have an weird practice techniques? I'm trying to be semi-golf related now that spring is almost here.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I have found the secret to my short game, and no, it's nothing out of the Pelz School. I have a patterned carpet in my basement that has raised squares about 2 inches wide. I bought some Cally practice balls (the soft indoor kind) for my daughter to play with. She's got a plastic driver, iron, and putter. She is pretty hilarious with her golfing, but I digress.
    I drop those down on the carpet, some are down in the squares, some are sitting on top. I chip or pitch each ball trying to land it on the couch from about 20 feet away. It's the equivalent to a good lie vs. a ball sitting down in the rough. My chipping was pretty deadly yesterday and it usually sucks for the first month or so of the season.
    Anyone else have an weird practice techniques? I'm trying to be semi-golf related now that spring is almost here.
    After a very long winter lay-off, which has been unusual for us in Oklahoma for the past 20 years or more, I have started to play more myself over the past couple of weeks. Needless to say, my game is very rusty right now. On top of my rusty game, the conditions here in Oklahoma have been, and remain, very wet and soggy. Being a blade player who likes to take a healthy divot, it has been very tough going.

For some reason, out of all the different aspects of the game, my chipping and pitching have fared the worse. I have tried about 3 or 4 different chipping techniques over the past couple of years and none of them seem to work during late winter conditions where there is very little grass and mostly flat ground. I've been a little frustrated. Fortunately for my wallet, all my playing buddies have rusty games, too.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

The raised, square-patterned carpet in the basement practice drill is nothing new. The only problem with your technique is the use of Callaway balls. I associate anything Callaway with people that are new to the game and like to chop it around the course. I use wiffle balls, have plush shag in my basement and I find that it helps my shots out of the rough. This really doesn't help my game due to the fact that I'm so good off of the tee that I'm rarely in the rough. Normally I'm straight down the fairway. This has prompted me to order a new Berber carpet with a very short fiber that will simulate a shot from a tight fairway. I chose a dark green for the spring/summer and I will switch to a tan color in the winter to simulate dormant bermuda. I will practice full swing shots in the basement every time my wife turns on Real Housewives of New York. You should hear her expletives when I hit a stinger right into the screen of our HDTV.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    The raised, square-patterned carpet in the basement practice drill is nothing new. The only problem with your technique is the use of Callaway balls. I associate anything Callaway with people that are new to the game and like to chop it around the course. I use wiffle balls, have plush shag in my basement and I find that it helps my shots out of the rough. This really doesn't help my game due to the fact that I'm so good off of the tee that I'm rarely in the rough. Normally I'm straight down the fairway. This has prompted me to order a new Berber carpet with a very short fiber that will simulate a shot from a tight fairway. I chose a dark green for the spring/summer and I will switch to a tan color in the winter to simulate dormant bermuda. I will practice full swing shots in the basement every time my wife turns on Real Housewives of New York. You should hear her expletives when I hit a stinger right into the screen of our HDTV.
    This new chopper is ready for you Friday!! And I'm bringing my Callaways!
    Name:  Chopper shovel.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  26.2 KB
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    At the local golf dome they offer group lessons every winter starting in Jan. 10/ 1 hour lessons for $300.
    Just to go hit balls for an hour it costs $27, so for 3 bucks more you get some instruction. I've done this for 3 years now. The first year was a waste as it was with a group of people I didn't know, mostly women who had never golfed before.

The last two years I've gotten 5 buddies to book up the spots and we all go. We all shoot in the 80's so the instruction is a little more advanced and more individual.

Personally, I think the lessons have really helped me recognize what/when I'm doing something wrong and correct it rather than frustrating myself through a round doing the same bad thing over and over .

The daughter's set came with 3 wiffle balls. I couldn't resist taking a full swing at one. Totally wrecked it. The raised carpet is terrible for putting, but the bedroom in the basement has some flat, short pile carpet. I may try that out next.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    This new chopper is ready for you Friday!! And I'm bringing my Callaways!
    Name:  Chopper shovel.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  26.2 KB
    Now that I know you play Callaway I'm feeling better about my chances. I haven't played in 6 to 7 weeks but it should be no problem if you're carrying around snow shovels. I will be ordering a Patty Melt and you will be buying it.

Now that I know you play Callaway I'm feeling better about my chances. I haven't played in 6 to 7 weeks but it should be no problem if you're carrying around snow shovels. I will be ordering a Patty Melt and you will be buying it.
    Bring it on you scurvy dawg!.....We should be doing our shite talking on our thread...................................
    team obnoxious

Similar story to HB since it includes carpet. Last year I was going through a terrible time with my putting from the 3-6 foot range which meant three putts if I didn't get my first putt to tap in range and very few up and downs unless I chipped it to about a foot. I was moaning to my Dad (who is a very good putter) about it and he said "You can fix that practicing on the carpet in the lounge". I was skeptical but thought it was worth a try so I lay out a coffee coaster on the lounge floor and started practicing. At first I was just as hopeless as on the course but after a while I began nailing that coaster. My on course putting has really improved. I've had several rounds this summer where I have shot 76-78 where previously I would have been looking at 81-82 due to missed putts, especially from the 3-4 foot range. It has eliminated the three putts and allows me to get up and down more often if I can chip it to 3-4 feet.

When my wife wants to watch 'Desperate Housewives' I banish her to the spare TV room telling her there is a rugby show I want to watch and then work on my putting!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Similar story to HB since it includes carpet. Last year I was going through a terrible time with my putting from the 3-6 foot range which meant three putts if I didn't get my first putt to tap in range and very few up and downs unless I chipped it to about a foot. I was moaning to my Dad (who is a very good putter) about it and he said "You can fix that practicing on the carpet in the lounge". I was skeptical but thought it was worth a try so I lay out a coffee coaster on the lounge floor and started practicing. At first I was just as hopeless as on the course but after a while I began nailing that coaster. My on course putting has really improved. I've had several rounds this summer where I have shot 76-78 where previously I would have been looking at 81-82 due to missed putts, especially from the 3-4 foot range. It has eliminated the three putts and allows me to get up and down more often if I can chip it to 3-4 feet.

When my wife wants to watch 'Desperate Housewives' I banish her to the spare TV room telling her there is a rugby show I want to watch and then work on my putting!
    I fixed my putting alignment by putting on the tile floor. The tiles are 1 foot square and I placed the ball on one the lines. I figured out that my feet were previously aimed slightly left and the face was slightly open, so I was basically playing for a push on every putt.
    I'm going to figure out a good practice technique involving the play kitchen next. I can already see a use for the talking Elmo. Every time I miss a putt, I have to listen to one of his retarded stories. My basement is on the fast track to be featured in next month's Golf Digest.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I fixed my putting alignment by putting on the tile floor. The tiles are 1 foot square and I placed the ball on one the lines. I figured out that my feet were previously aimed slightly left and the face was slightly open, so I was basically playing for a push on every putt.
    I'm going to figure out a good practice technique involving the play kitchen next. I can already see a use for the talking Elmo. Every time I miss a putt, I have to listen to one of his retarded stories. My basement is on the fast track to be featured in next month's Golf Digest.
    I usually play 9 holes in my house prior to going to work. That's why I chose 3/4 inch unfinished hardwood for flooring. After finishing there are no seams and it gets me ready for my annual trip to Augusta.

We have a short nap carpet runner 2'x 8' that I used in the same way. The pattern on in is perfect for alignment. I put an auto ball return at the end and I can get into a good groove with it......
    team obnoxious

This is a great idea. Negative reinforcement must be one of the best practice aids available.

Let me know which issue of GD so that I can race out and pre order my copy now.

Now where the f#ck am I?

This is a great idea. Negative reinforcement must be one of the best practice aids available.

Let me know which issue of GD so that I can race out and pre order my copy now.
    Will do. Negotiations are getting a bit hectic and I feel I'm getting in over my head. GD wants me to have an ongoing instruction piece every month (they dropped Tiger so they looking for a replacement). I'm not sure if I can keep coming up with new basement drills. I've got a solid 4 months, but after that I'm left with B team ideas like "Chip like a pro by chipping into the litter box." No one wants to do that.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

It's important that you force her to play as a lefty, her odds go way up. If she resists, just keep forcing her. And it's good training, that a man knows best, for later on. Somewhere out there is a little italian boy who would appreciate her and show her a good life.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    It's important that you force her to play as a lefty, her odds go way up. If she resists, just keep forcing her. And it's good training, that a man knows best, for later on. Somewhere out there is a little italian boy who would appreciate her and show her a good life.
    I don't understand why odds would go up if she plays lefty.
    I've already invested $5 in righthanded clubs for her. Maybe the Lorenzo household can afford to waste money, but the HB household is never one to scoff at a $5 investment.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't understand why odds would go up if she plays lefty.
    I've already invested $5 in righthanded clubs for her. Maybe the Lorenzo household can afford to waste money, but the HB household is never one to scoff at a $5 investment.

I'm telling you, don't question this and don't sell her pro career for $5.
    GR lives...

The daughter's set came with 3 wiffle balls. I couldn't resist taking a full swing at one. Totally wrecked it. The raised carpet is terrible for putting, but the bedroom in the basement has some flat, short pile carpet. I may try that out next.
    If you put a wiffle ball on a tee in the swing analyzer and hit it, you'd probably get a higher clubhead speed than ball speed. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I'm telling you, don't question this and don't sell her pro career for $5.
    I'm afraid I must question this. The only lefties who play pro golf are total knobs. Mickelson - moobs, Bubba Watson - Ping, Mike Weir - Canuck.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'm afraid I must question this. The only lefties who play pro golf are total knobs. Mickelson - moobs, Bubba Watson - Ping, Mike Weir - Canuck.
    Forget history here. Historically golfers were p.ussies that lacked the inner strength to occupy the opposite side. But the times they are 'a changing. Tomorrow's pro golfers will be the ones whose fathers figured out how to blaze the right trail for them. But let's address your real resistance. $5 barely buys you a drink these days.
    GR lives...

Nothing innovative, but I did convert my garage from a meth lab to a golf lab. I got a really nice mat (It wasn't cheap either), a net, a mirror, and a putting mat. I've been hitting balls in the lab for 2 months, damn near every day and in the few times I've hit real balls this winter, my ballstriking has improved immensely.
    I'm convinced that for me this beats range practice hands down. I'm working on improving my golf swing rather than going to the range and trying to produce good golf shots.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    Nothing innovative, but I did convert my garage from a meth lab to a golf lab. I got a really nice mat (It wasn't cheap either), a net, a mirror, and a putting mat. I've been hitting balls in the lab for 2 months, damn near every day and in the few times I've hit real balls this winter, my ballstriking has improved immensely.
    I'm convinced that for me this beats range practice hands down. I'm working on improving my golf swing rather than going to the range and trying to produce good golf shots.
    You married, homie?
    Zo, even though she's only 18 months old, I already suspect she's right handed. She throws and colors much better as a righty. Hard to say if she's better with a spoon lefty or righty, because she's atrocious with either.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

You married, homie?
    Zo, even though she's only 18 months old, I already suspect she's right handed. She throws and colors much better as a righty. Hard to say if she's better with a spoon lefty or righty, because she's atrocious with either.
    I presumed she was right handed. That's why it's so important she play golf left handed. Left handed in golf is a misnomer. You want the dominant arm to lead. Besides, at 18 months, you can immobilize an arm and force her to color and flail with her spoon with the other. It'll pay huge dividends.

I was probably a natural right handed skier, but figured out early on I was a much better skier left handed so I switched. What I wouldn't have given to have started out that way.
    GR lives...

You married, homie? .
    No, happily divorced. I do have a live in girlfriend that keeps
    me from moving the golf lab into the living room.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Is it her house? WTF?
    GR lives...

Dude, you've got to get a handle on your scene. It's bad enough your meth lab was relegated to the garage, but the golf lab in the garage is unacceptable.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Horseballs, I want to congratulate you on getting 26 responses to a thread about chipping sudo-balls in your basement.

Dude, you've got to get a handle on your scene. It's bad enough your meth lab was relegated to the garage, but the golf lab in the garage is unacceptable.
    Damnit!!!! I got ***** whipped so gradually that I didn't event notice it was happening!!
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Horseballs, I want to congratulate you on getting 26 responses to a thread about chipping sudo-balls in your basement.
    Thanks, FD. I take pride in all that I do.
    Homie, it can happen to anyone. Take back your manhood and set up that net in the living room, dining room, really anywhere except the kitchen. Any room outside of the kitchen and bedroom should be off limits anyway unless there is a vacuum attached to your girlfriend.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Not to mention shortknocking, Ping playing, hybrid toting, long putter using fukwit Nick O'Hern.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thanks, FD. I take pride in all that I do.
    Homie, it can happen to anyone. Take back your manhood and set up that net in the living room, dining room, really anywhere except the kitchen. Any room outside of the kitchen and bedroom should be off limits anyway unless there is a vacuum attached to your girlfriend.
    He gave up his manhood whenever he decided to play PING Eye 2 irons. It will take a brand new set of Mizunos and a year's supply of Cialis (proud sponsors of the PGA Tour) to get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    He gave up his manhood whenever he decided to play PING Eye 2 irons. It will take a brand new set of Mizunos and a year's supply of Cialis (proud sponsors of the PGA Tour) to get it back.
    Sooner, read the post again, he was talking to Home Slice. Come on man are you getting old? I think you need some Ping Eye 2's.

Sooner, read the post again, he was talking to Home Slice. Come on man are you getting old? I think you need some Ping Eye 2's.
    I think this has been covered here before. It's acceptable to flame someone in a response to someone else if you make it clear who it's actually aimed at and pretend to not realize your mistake.
    GR lives...

I think this has been covered here before. It's acceptable to flame someone in a response to someone else if you make it clear who it's actually aimed at and pretend to not realize your mistake.

What mistake??

Damnit!!!! I got ***** whipped so gradually that I didn't event notice it was happening!!
    When you're a wuss like this, you don't just hurt yourself, you hurt those who are with your gf's gfs, cause they brag about guys like you. And as the circle reaches ever farther outward, all of us guys become affected.
    GR lives...

Will do. Negotiations are getting a bit hectic and I feel I'm getting in over my head. GD wants me to have an ongoing instruction piece every month (they dropped Tiger so they looking for a replacement). I'm not sure if I can keep coming up with new basement drills. I've got a solid 4 months, but after that I'm left with B team ideas like "Chip like a pro by chipping into the litter box." No one wants to do that.
    I wouldn't worry about running out of good ideas for the monthly articles. Just start making up any old cr@p each month. Seems to work a treat for Leadbetter, Harmon & Haney.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Kiwi,

I won't take credit for this drill as it's been around as long as golf, but when you practice at home, use a small coin as a target instead of a coffee coaster. It will be hard at first, but the smaller target narrows your focus and makes a golf hole seem huge when you get out to the course. I do this putting drill at home and I find that it really does sharpen up your putting.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Kiwi,

I won't take credit for this drill as it's been around as long as golf, but when you practice at home, use a small coin as a target instead of a coffee coaster. It will be hard at first, but the smaller target narrows your focus and makes a golf hole seem huge when you get out to the course. I do this putting drill at home and I find that it really does sharpen up your putting.
    Thanks mate I will try that. I have actually found that when I aim my putts if I narrow it down to a specific blade of grass on the edge of the cup I seem to get better results than just aiming at the cup.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks mate I will try that. I have actually found that when I aim my putts if I narrow it down to a specific blade of grass on the edge of the cup I seem to get better results than just aiming at the cup.
    I rarely aim at the cup. Even on dead straight putts I will line the ball up with a spot on the green between the ball and the cup and concentrate on rolling the ball over that spot.

Thread Information