|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Forged Clubs - Do they wear easily?

I am about to purchase a set of MacGregor 1025Cs, and this being my first set of forged clubs, have some questions. (1) I understand that they "wear" rather quickly...is this the case? If so, what does one do to prevent and/or repair? How will I keep these irons in good condition? (2) If they in fact to wear quickly, is it realistic for me to play these clubs for a good number of years? I just played 7 seasons with Taylor Mades, and could probably play another 7 easily - they're still in great condition. Can I play these Macs for years?

I don't want to get a "less filling/tastes great" threadjack war going about iron covers, but I can tell you two things. 1. The MacGregors, though forged and soft feeling, have a pretty durable chrome surface. 2. Get a set of Club Glove iron covers for them so they don't get dinged by club-club contact in your bag. With this precaution, your MacGregors will look great for a long time. (I've tried other club covers for my forged irons, but they are either difficult to get on and off or they fall off and get lost. The Club Glove people got it right with their neoprene iron covers)

Iron Head covers

Thanks. Do you keep the iron head covers on during a round as well?

Yes. If I am on a riding cart, there will be a fair amount of jostling of the clubs when the cart goes over bumps. The covers prevent the clubs banging into each other. I take off the cover and place it in the basket behind the seat. It never gets lost that way.
    If I am walking with my push cart, I place the cover on the scorecard tray so it never gets lost, either. Covers aren't as "nerdy" as some would like to believe. I am seeing more and more of them on the course. It only makes sense to protect forged irons if you care what they look like in 6-12 months. Others will argue that it is too much trouble or that when clubs get dinged it gives them "character". That's their opinion, and you've heard mine.

I have carried and played with the same set of Mac 1025c's for almot 4 years now (without iron covers).
    I hit billions of balls and play pretty frequently and my clubs still look brand new. They have seen some bad weather and a few times have been thrown at my bag, and STILL they look brand new. I had Hogan forgings before this, and it's the same deal.
    Forged clubs do not wear any faster than other clubs. They generally look better longer due to the care taken in making and finishing them.

Iron covers are a personal thing (personally I would sooner play in a bra and thong), but if you slap your iron cover on a wet or muddy iron mid round, you are asking for rust and fade to the finish.

I carry a towel and I wipe the club after it gets muddy.
    Towel or iron covers?
    Towel please.

thanks

sounds good to me. i really didn't want to use iron covers.

iron covers rank right up there with toaster covers and shoe bags.

Great choices you made both in the irons and their lack of headwear.

I would defer to Montagle's experience with the MacGregors. As I mentioned, I had a set and the finish was remarkably durable for a forged iron. Some other forgings are NOT as forgiving of bag abuse.
    Again, I hope to avoid this becoming the 3279th thread on a golf board on the subject of "iron covers vs. no iron covers." Few subjects bring out the heated opinions and insults as readily as this relatively minor point!

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Again, I hope to avoid this becoming the 3279th thread on a golf board on the subject of "iron covers vs. no iron covers."
    Instead let's focus on Monty playing a round in a bra and thong. What would it take to arrange this and related pics from Roscoe?

It could be easily arranged had I not retired from golf.

I put my clubs in the basement more than 2 weeks ago. I DID go move them up on a shelf when Gaston flooded us out.
    I have NOT touched a club in three weeks or so. That really is a world record for me. Even in the dead of winter I hit ballls, put on new grips, or just swing them in the house.

Not this time though. Just no desire. Could be the newborn and what he has done to the family dynamic. However yesterday I had three free hours and perfect weather. So I drank beer and listened to music and read. Totally non golf.

maybe I am finally done with the stupid game?

Have you done any soul searching to determine the reason? What's the word on Roscoe? Any chance he could motivate you to play?

I wish I understood it. I mean, literally, I can hit balls in the yard. But I can't make myself get up, fetch the shag bag and a wedge, and walk outside and hit them.

The Hurricane(s) were again hard on me. The new baby is brutalizing my wife so I have to do more with the other kids. Business is picking up as it always does.

I don't understand it. I feel no drive at all to play. I don't want to go out there and suck. I don't want to go practice so I don't suck when I go out there. I am just stuck somehow.

Sounds like you might just be burnt out with everything, including golf. Quite understandable considering the circumstances. My life isn't near as hectic as yours and there are times when I'd prefer to lounge than get up and work on my game. Maybe when things mellow out you'll get up the energy again.

Ding!

I bought Mac 1025Ms at the start of this season. They do ding pretty easily, particularly when compared with cast. The chrome might provide some protection, but really, the metal underneath is soft, and it's not a thick chrome coat.

I can say that it is not a thick chrome coat, because I have worked pretty heavily on my sand game this season, and the sand has worn the chrome coat on the sole of my sand wedge pretty impressively. Also, the impact area on the face of my most-used irons is noticeably worn compared with the rest of the face. No kiddin'.

I don't use head covers on any of my clubs, so I can't speak to the value of these.

My favorite pro also advises having the lie angle checked at least once a year with the forged irons (he would not be the one adjusting them, so I don't see this as a sales come-on).

They do feel like buttah when you hit them, though, don't they?

S

I have recently switched from cast to forged irons and I don't feel that the forged irons are any less durable. I am also not a big fan of headcovers but obviously they will give the clubs protection. One thing to consider is that when making a swing if you happen to stike something in addition to the ball like a rock you're going to have a ding whether the club is cast or forged.

Thread Information