|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: lessons

lessons

i know most of you out there dont think lessons are any good but surely if a pro lookns at your swing and tells you what to work on that cant be a bad thing?

The last thing you want to do is have a pro look at your swing. Think about it...you are paying them to give you a lesson. What kind of person takes money to help someone out with their golf swing? These so-called teaching pros will convince you to take a series of lessons and drain your bank account. Next thing you know you'll be clutching a bottle of Maddog and wondering how you woke up in a trash bin.

so you would sugest what? spend the same amount of money on expensive clubs and hit 10000's of range balls untill you get better?

Quote Originally Posted by stugstar
    so you would sugest what? spend the same amount of money on expensive clubs and hit 10000's of range balls untill you get better?
    No, go buy a set of Ping Eye 2's and you will automatically play better. That's the last I will comment on this thread. Buy them now!!! Your still sitting down!! Go buy them....now!!!

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    i know most of you out there dont think lessons are any good but surely if a pro lookns at your swing and tells you what to work on that cant be a bad thing?
    Lessons can be a very good idea... ...but you have to have an instructor who can communicate with you in terms that work for you.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    Lessons can be a very good idea... ...but you have to have an instructor who can communicate with you in terms that work for you.
    He could always watch Larry's videos for free

And yet Larry has more lessons than anyone and look at what a hacker he is. FFS Alan this is GR, everyone knows that lessons are a biatch move. Spend your money on new eqpt and knock 4 shots of your handicap.

Your very welcome

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    He could always watch Larry's videos for free
    As everything Larry tells us is what all good players do 99% of the time, in theory it sounds like good advice.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

A strong second to that statement!

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    I've been golfing for 14 years. For 10 of those years I never took one lesson and went out and hardly ever broke 100 (and that would be with mulligans and foot wedges). In the last few years I've taken 20 lessons and now I shoot mid to low 80's legit. It has been a tremendous help in grooving a consistent swing and helping me in recognizing and fixing a problem when it happens instead of playing the entire round doing the same bad thing.

I don't think one or two lessons is worth your time or money. You have to think of it as more of an investment and book a series of lessons to really gain a benefit of instruction.

Every lesson he'd add on a new concept to build onto. You just can't do that one a single lesson. Its a waste of money to do that.

Professionals are constantly taking instruction and lessons. It's a non stop learning to get a good swing

Good luck.

The last thing you want to do is have a pro look at your swing. Think about it...you are paying them to give you a lesson. What kind of person takes money to help someone out with their golf swing? These so-called teaching pros will convince you to take a series of lessons and drain your bank account. Next thing you know you'll be clutching a bottle of Maddog and wondering how you woke up in a trash bin.
    First, you should ensure your PGA teaching pro is himself a really good golfer. Most are scratch and some shoot below that when they play competitively. Find one who practices what he preaches. NOT like Tina Michelson who is probably a 15 handicapper, trading on her brother's name.

Then for a reality check, ask the pro what he did to get that good. It will always be lessons and endless drills over a period of months or years. They did what they urge us to do. They know there is simply no other way to ingrain the correct movement. Good golfers are always working on their golf swing and most take lessons themselves. They know another set of eyes is necessary because we can't see ourselves swing.

After he fixes your grip, setup, and takeaway to enable you to consistently reach a top position that gives you any chance to hit it straight and long-- he will give you drills teaching you how to teach yourself to get there every time. A major swing change always requires both UNLEARNING bad habits and replacing those with the correct moves. Usually the correct setup and backswing will feel strange-- so you must be willing to stubbornly fight the tendency to revert to what is comfortable--but wrong. So a real change will take time--usually several lessons over a period of weeks with lots of drills between--because you will inadvertantly revert several times.

A pro can only show you how to teach yourself. If you are a poor teacher or a poor student, you will have wasted your money going to a pro.

BTW, you can show up with a 6i from the $5.00 used barrel. The brand or type of club makes NO DIFFERENCE and that subject simply never comes up. If you have a golf swing, you can use any club. If your swing is awful, the clubs make no difference.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    First, you should ensure your PGA teaching pro is himself a really good golfer. Most are scratch and some shoot below that when they play competitively. Find one who practices what he preaches. NOT like Tina Michelson who is probably a 15 handicapper, trading on her brother's name.

Then for a reality check, ask the pro what he did to get that good. It will always be lessons and endless drills over a period of months or years. They did what they urge us to do. They know there is simply no other way to ingrain the correct movement. Good golfers are always working on their golf swing and most take lessons themselves. They know another set of eyes is necessary because we can't see ourselves swing.

After he fixes your grip, setup, and takeaway to enable you to consistently reach a top position that gives you any chance to hit it straight and long-- he will give you drills teaching you how to teach yourself to get there every time. A major swing change always requires both UNLEARNING bad habits and replacing those with the correct moves. Usually the correct setup and backswing will feel strange-- so you must be willing to stubbornly fight the tendency to revert to what is comfortable--but wrong. So a real change will take time--usually several lessons over a period of weeks with lots of drills between--because you will inadvertantly revert several times.

A pro can only show you how to teach yourself. If you are a poor teacher or a poor student, you will have wasted your money going to a pro.

BTW, you can show up with a 6i from the $5.00 used barrel. The brand or type of club makes NO DIFFERENCE and that subject simply never comes up. If you have a golf swing, you can use any club. If your swing is awful, the clubs make no difference.

Larry
    I gotta say Larry this the best post I've EVER heard from you. By best I mean not ranting and raving about irrelevant **** that makes no sense. That stuff is entertaining but not very useful to get better at golf.....
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    I gotta say Larry this the best post I've EVER heard from you. By best I mean not ranting and raving about irrelevant **** that makes no sense. That stuff is entertaining but not very useful to get better at golf.....
    This dialog should continue in my Larryrsf thread.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf

Larry
    I know plenty of golfers that are near scratch that don't do endless drills and don't take lessons. I agree that lessons are good for someone who is a beginner or for someone with serious swing flaws. I disagree that you need to take lessons througout your life to play golf at a high level. Please don't use PGA Tour pros as an example. That's apples and oranges.

If clubs don't matter, why did you purchase Callaway irons? Why didn't you go to play it again sports and spend $30 bucks choosing out of the bargain bin? Clubs do matter. People with solid swings don't always hit the center of the clubface. Perimeter weighted irons are more forgiving on mishits...hence your use of Callaway irons.

Do any of you want a lesson? Watch a few pros swing at the range. Study their swings and imagine what those moves must feel like. If you can capture it in your mind's eye, then use your range time to find that which, on some level, you already know. It needs to be a feeling. Technical stuff can only follow the feeling part, it cannot lead. The only swing thoughts should be capture that feeling that pros have and stay totally relaxed.

Happy trails.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Do any of you want a lesson? Watch a few pros swing at the range. Study their swings and imagine what those moves must feel like. If you can capture it in your mind's eye, then use your range time to find that which, on some level, you already know. It needs to be a feeling. Technical stuff can only follow the feeling part, it cannot lead. The only swing thoughts should be capture that feeling that pros have and stay totally relaxed.

Happy trails.
    Yep, I learned how impact should look by watching a Euro event a bunch of years ago. Thomas Bjorn I believe, but upon further viewing, everyone was doing it.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    And yet Larry has more lessons than anyone and look at what a hacker he is. FFS Alan this is GR, everyone knows that lessons are a biatch move. Spend your money on new eqpt and knock 4 shots of your handicap.

Your very welcome

Edgey
    i dont really want to just knock 4 shots off because of better clubs...i would rather have a better swing and do it myself rather than technology

i dont really want to just knock 4 shots off because of better clubs...i would rather have a better swing and do it myself rather than technology
    That's just plain crazy talk.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

After 6 years of trying to improve myself, I took about 4 lessons while I was working on the road just to get out of the motel room. He didn't try to rework my whole swing but just gave me a lot of pointers on how to make MY swing work better. Also sold me a set of MP57's at a very good price.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Sounds to me like he reeled you in and sold you some forged choppers.

Sounds to me like he reeled you in and sold you some forged choppers.
    Frankly, you are beginning to sound a little paranoid. Obviously, there is a potential to abuse the trust of a client, but if a person got some helpful tips and some good clubs, who lost?

I've had great improvment after taking a few sets of lessons over the past 5 or 6 years. It doesn't have to be an ongoing thing, but I learned a lot, unlearned a lot, and my scores have improved, plus I'm much more consistent. As long as you learn some basics, and learn to diagnose and correct on-course problems as they occur, you've gotten what you need to be a good recreational golfer. I have no illusions of ever making a living hitting white dimpled balls, so that's good enough for me.

My pros has been willing to allow for some diversity in the swing. Not everybody's has to look alike, as long as it's simple, repeatable, and holds up under stress.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Actually, the clubs are the real thing. He is an authorized Mizzy dealer plus he is a dealer for Callaway, Cobra, Titliest, etc. Hell of a nice guy. Was looking through the shop at different forged irons and and then he showed me the 57's. All matching seriel numbers, new grips, used but in very good shape. 275$ plus my MX19'. Didn't think that was to bad.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    Actually, the clubs are the real thing. He is an authorized Mizzy dealer plus he is a dealer for Callaway, Cobra, Titliest, etc. Hell of a nice guy. Was looking through the shop at different forged irons and and then he showed me the 57's. All matching seriel numbers, new grips, used but in very good shape. 275$ plus my MX19'. Didn't think that was to bad.
    Sounds like a very reasonable deal. I like the MP 57's for looks, feel, and performance. They are an excellent example of a "player's cavity back." They definitely offer some forgiveness, but don't simply hide major swing flaws.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by edgey

Your very welcome

Edgey

DITTO!!!!!
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    That's just plain crazy talk.
    not its not......i could go buy new clubs for 3 or 400 quid and knock those 4 shots off my game.... that would be great... but then i would still be left with an inadequate swing that i need to improve to get to scratch.... a good swing is the only way to get properly better...... no clubs will take you from a 19 h/c to scratch

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Lessons are only worthwhile if you then put in the work on the practice ground to embed what you have been taught. They are very useful if you don't know what you are doing. They should also, in time, allow you to understand your own swing better. As you improve the frequency of lessons will drop down to a swing review about once a year. But without the pracitce, they are money down the drain.

A friend of mine who is a member of a private country club here in Wilmington DE. He consistently shoots in the range of 80-85. One day he decided to take more lessons to consistently break 80s... that really phuckkk him up, after 6 months, he was back to his normal swing... lesson learned

not its not......i could go buy new clubs for 3 or 400 quid and knock those 4 shots off my game.... that would be great... but then i would still be left with an inadequate swing that i need to improve to get to scratch.... a good swing is the only way to get properly better...... no clubs will take you from a 19 h/c to scratch
    Do the math, genius. If 400 gets you to a 15, then 800 gets you to an 11 etc. A set of Miuras and 4 Scratch wedges will have you breaking par.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

Thread Information