|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

3 wood 15* or 16* hybrid or both?

I just wanted some quick opinions or maybe some advice from someone in the same dilemma. i recently started playing again and put a set together but now im not sure if i need a three wood anymore. I got a awesome driver that gets me down the middle of fairway for about 235-250 and then i bought a 2i 18* hybrid which is great even off the tee (well just about a half inch off the ground) which is good for 180-195, very accurate.

so now im thinkin to either get a 3 wood or a 16* hybrid. it seems theres no down points to a hybrid, i mean a little bit shorter shaft and maybe 10 yards in distance loss but prob easier to hit off the rough and fairway, i know i can hit a 3 wood a solid 225-235 off the tee but not that great off the rough or fairway, well as consistent as a hybrid.

Any Opinions?

Unless there is a significant distance difference between a particular 3 wood and a particular hybrid, it would be relatively redundant to have both a 3 wood and a very low lofted hybrid, in my opinion.
    I saved a club on the long end to add an additional wedge, by putting my 15 degree 3 wood in the garage and going to a 16.5 degree 4 wood instead, followed by a 19 degree hybrid, followed by the irons, beginning with the 4. There are many ways to play this scenario, and there is no one "right" way to do it. Whatever works for you. If you find a low lofted hybrid you hit well both off the fairway and the tee, it could certainly substitute for a 3 or 4 wood.
    If at all possible, test the clubs on an actual driving range to see what kind of distances you can expect with various head/shaft combinations.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Dorkman's club make up makes a lot of sense. There is approx 3-5 yards per degree of lof so 16.5 would be between 4.5 and 7.5 yards shorter than a 3 wood and the extra loft may provide sufficient forgiveness to mitigate that, especially off the deck. My personal experience is that the the lowest lofted hybrid I could hit well off the fairway and out of light rough was 19 degrees. I found I hit it much better off the deck than any fairway wood I owed at the time. I did have a 16 degree hybrid but found I did not have sufficient swing speed to get the ball airbourne. I now play a 15.5 degree 3 wood and 18.5 degree 5 wood. The 3 wood is great off the fairway but no good out of everything but very lightest of rough. My 5 wood will work out of light/medium rough. Anything deeper and I cut my losses and use 23 degree hybrid.

I'm no wedge virtuoso, and pw-52-58 is plenty of wedge spread for me.

I do carry the 19 and 16 hybrid as well as a 13 three wood. this gives me a spread of options both off the tee and long approaches, and if I have the right long club in my hand I"m more likely to execute the swing that will give me some success with the shot.... I hate thinking "I just know if I swing a little harder I'll get this 19 degree across that 205 yard water carry... I just KNOW it"... and of course I can, but not if I swing harder. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Bare in mind that if you take Dorky's advice and go for an extra wedge it'll leave you $600 out of pocket.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Bare in mind that if you take Dorky's advice and go for an extra wedge it'll leave you $600 out of pocket.
    Not if you buy if from the lost and found at your local muni......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

After 53 years of playing I finally broke down and bought my first hybrid two summers ago-- a 2002 vintage Taylor Rescue Mid 16 deg. with the stock stiff graphite shaft. That took my 3 iron and 7 wood out of my bag. I can get 200 (low cut)-225 (high slight draw) off the tee in fair weather and at least 200-210 from a slightly perched fairway lie or from light rough. Last fall I got the pre-DWS Cobra Baffler in 20 deg (3R) with a stiff NV-HL factory shaft in stiff that I still can't hit off the tee but can pound from really funky lies in thick rough or side-hill. Don't really want to take it out of the bag since I hit it 200 to the center of a par 5 from a nasty ball-above-feet lie on my second shot in a swirling 30 mph wind last week in Florida (missed the eagle putt). I had also just scored the same model and shaft in 26 deg (5R) and that became my go-to from 170-180. It replaced my 4 and 5 irons and my bag's starting to look like Tim Clark's. Or a combo of Clark's and Phil's since I got two drivers as well. Forgot to mention the 15 deg 3 wood. I do the math and realize I got no room for more than two wedges so I decided to chuck the 60 deg and shaved sole SW and resurrect a 25 year old Ram Tom Watson grind 55 deg. Sorry to be so long winded but the game was really more simple before they made hybrids.

Jackson Course at Rock Barn in Hickory, NC
    I play a 13* 3 wood and a 16* hybrid (since I can't hit a 5 wood to save my life). I think the hybrid is far more versatile than my 2 iron, especially from the rough. I play a 3, 5-pw, and 3 wedges. If you only play 2 wedges, it gives you more freedom, but I just bent my 5 iron 1* stronger to bridge the gap, and it works great. Hope you get some help from someone on here.
    In accordance with new rules...I play a 2x4 and a lead pipe.
    Listing anything golf related is a B!TCHMOVE.

Thread Information