|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Hey Sooner

Hey Sooner

Knowing you are a prov1x guy....

Played the new NXT Tour over the weekend...Thought I would try it. I played the ProV1x almost exclusively in 2009 before having back surgery.

New NXT Tour is a nice ball. Straight and good distance. My gps measured 2 of my drives at 273 and 271 yards. 6i was 177 and 174.

Ball felt good off the putter as well.

However, and as you might expect, it was around the green where I noticed the difference. The ProV1x just is a better ball for pitching - chipping, etc.....The NXT would land and roll out leaving me long putts wheras the 1x would hop and stop.

I shot an 85 and I really feel that I could have scored better with the ProV1x.

Just thought I would share.

I golf with a guy who plays the NXT Tours and I have had the opportunity to hit them for a few holes as well. I have had a similar experience as yours. I still like the Pro V1s and Pro V1xs the best. I have actually been playing the Pro V1 more than the V1x lately, but that may change once the weather becomes warmer and more consistent.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Knowing you are a prov1x guy....

Played the new NXT Tour over the weekend...Thought I would try it. I played the ProV1x almost exclusively in 2009 before having back surgery.

New NXT Tour is a nice ball. Straight and good distance. My gps measured 2 of my drives at 273 and 271 yards. 6i was 177 and 174.

Ball felt good off the putter as well.

However, and as you might expect, it was around the green where I noticed the difference. The ProV1x just is a better ball for pitching - chipping, etc.....The NXT would land and roll out leaving me long putts wheras the 1x would hop and stop.

I shot an 85 and I really feel that I could have scored better with the ProV1x.

Just thought I would share.
    I play the NXT Tour in the winter and the Pro V1 in the summer. I find that the NXT Tour provides significant distance gain in the winter. However, in the summer the distance is negligible and the Pro V1 performs significantly better around the greens. Chipping is much easier with the Pro V1.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I play the NXT Tour in the winter and the Pro V1 in the summer. I find that the NXT Tour provides significant distance gain in the winter. However, in the summer the distance is negligible and the Pro V1 performs significantly better around the greens. Chipping is much easier with the Pro V1.
    Yup. I think that is my plan. I switched balls after the front 9 so I only used 2 of the 12 and still have them all. Think I am going to put them in the basement until October. Time to get the ProV1x out I suppose.

Just thought I would try them out. Good ball but just doesnt give me the response around the greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Yup. I think that is my plan. I switched balls after the front 9 so I only used 2 of the 12 and still have them all. Think I am going to put them in the basement until October. Time to get the ProV1x out I suppose.

Just thought I would try them out. Good ball but just doesnt give me the response around the greens.
    I couldn't agree more. It's the best ball of its kind that I've tried. It's less expensive, feels good, great distance and stops on the green with iron shots. However, chipping is nowhere near the performance of the Pro V1.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I couldn't agree more. It's the best ball of its kind that I've tried. It's less expensive, feels good, great distance and stops on the green with iron shots. However, chipping is nowhere near the performance of the Pro V1.

Thats where I need it. Even my brothers in law noticed I wasnt checking the ball up like usual.

Also - maybe it is just me but I honestly think the previous version of the NXT Tour was better around the green. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I golf with a guy who plays the NXT Tours and I have had the opportunity to hit them for a few holes as well. I have had a similar experience as yours. I still like the Pro V1s and Pro V1xs the best. I have actually been playing the Pro V1 more than the V1x lately, but that may change once the weather becomes warmer and more consistent.
    I found a box of NXT Tours in my stack of boxes of golf balls in my garage. Not sure how they got there, but I'll get 'em out.

I found everything in there. Srixon Z URC, Pro V1, Bridgestone B330S, Callaway tour 56, TP Blacks and Reds... all at least four months old, from before winter..

I gotta stop buying golf balls just cuz they're on sale. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I found a box of NXT Tours in my stack of boxes of golf balls in my garage. Not sure how they got there, but I'll get 'em out.

I found everything in there. Srixon Z URC, Pro V1, Bridgestone B330S, Callaway tour 56, TP Blacks and Reds... all at least four months old, from before winter..

I gotta stop buying golf balls just cuz they're on sale. :-)
    I bought two dozen TP Reds that were on sale at Wally World a couple of weeks ago for $21.00 a dozen. There were only 2 dozen left or I would have bought more. I like Pro V1s better, but it's hard to pass up bargains.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I am also a bargain hunter and always have been. I used to just play whichever premium ball was goig cheap, but lately I've found that I'm having trouble bringing myself to play with anything other than a Z-Star, even thoguh I still have a dozen Stratas to get through. IMO the Z-Star is so much better than anything I've played that I don't have quite the same confidence with other balls. The good news for me is that I find the Z-Stars to be far more durable than any other ball and can get 3 rounds out of one ball, so they represent great value even at full price. I'll probably force myself to use up all the Startas as I hate wasting good golf balls, but after that I'm strictly a Z-Star player.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information