|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The truth about good golf

You have to be brave to play good golf. If you play in fear you will never be any good. If you make an adjustment right before swinging in order to avoid trouble then you are not brave.
    Ego has no place in golf. If you are trying to impress people with tee length or iron selection then you are just another fool.

Practicing your chipping and pitching should account for 90 percent of practice. Putting is the other 8 and then hitting balls is 2. Hitting balls off of mats does zero to help you score. Chipping is a good warmup for a full swing anyway. Truth: good chipping ensures good iron play.

Play the hole backwards in your mind prior to teeing off.

Going for a par 5 in two is rarely a good choice from outside 220 yards.

That is all for now.

whats your cap these days yoda.

Respectfully

burnsdogs

Quote Originally Posted by BURNDOG
    whats your cap these days yoda.

Respectfully

burnsdogs
    I'm a 3.2 but only because I have to deal with lesser players.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I'm a 3.2 but only because I have to deal with lesser players.
    It's all about the excuses FD and it looks like you have a ready made one there.

Let me know if you need so lessons. There's a guy here on GR that preaches about knowing something about the mental game of golf. He could probably get you down a few strokes.

Driving may only account for 10% of your overall golf shots. But hit a few BOMBS off the tee and you will leave everyone talking about it the whole round. Put in a couple birdies and everyone forgets about it after the next hole.

BG

Quote Originally Posted by BossGodwin
    Driving may only account for 10% of your overall golf shots. But hit a few BOMBS off the tee and you will leave everyone talking about it the whole round. Put in a couple birdies and everyone forgets about it after the next hole.

BG
    You fitted in real quick round here boy

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

That first trial by fire was hard to swallow. Thanks to you and all for the warm welcome. We'll see if FD accepts me after the last post I made on my thread. LOL

BG

BG
    Long driving events are not taken seriously by anyone other than the contestants. Notice how none of the major brands sponsor these guys. Its boring and nobody cares. What do they have at these events...one set of bleachers? One step above the downhill cheese race.

That first trial by fire was hard to swallow. Thanks to you and all for the warm welcome. We'll see if FD accepts me after the last post I made on my thread. LOL

BG
    A little tip here for you. Acceptance is overrated. The way to go on GR is to not give a flying fuk what a sod laying shovel playing chopper like FD thinks of your posts. I just provide the information. If most of the numb nuts like FD who visit this board don't have the intelligence for it to sink in is not my concern.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

From what I can tell (and I am expecting the newbie flame job), it you don't have close to 2 grand invested in wedges, refuse to carry hybrids, and have something else but GFF in your bag, you are a ****ing poser

Quote Originally Posted by wishbone
    From what I can tell (and I am expecting the newbie flame job), it you don't have close to 2 grand invested in wedges, refuse to carry hybrids, and have something else but GFF in your bag, you are a ****ing poser
    Not sure about 'poser', more like a faggot sod laying chopper.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Actually there are a couple hundred or more people who come out to the events and usually the events pay out $5k to 6k for 1st place. Tell me how much you might make at your pansy little 4 man scramble or whatever small competition you do.
    We are what MMA is to Boxing. The guys in the sport of long drive are what I would consider the Bad A$$es of golf. We aren't little 165 lb. fags who hit it 260 yds. We are 230+ lb. real men who crush balls 400+ yds and do it with dignity NOT arrogance like most of your PGA golfers.
    Long drivers are extremely overrated. You have no idea the amount of talent it takes to swing a golf club at 145 mph and connect on the sweet spot and keep the ball straight. On top of that we are hitting 400+ yd drives into a grid no bigger than a par 5 fairway. It's probably hard for someone like you to hit it 260 yds. into an open fairway. Just some food for thought.

BG

Long driving events are not taken seriously by anyone other than the contestants. Notice how none of the major brands sponsor these guys. Its boring and nobody cares. What do they have at these events...one set of bleachers? One step above the downhill cheese race.
    Actually Ping, Cobra and UST shafts sponsor long drive guys

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Actually Ping, Cobra and UST shafts sponsor long drive guys
    Pinnacle balls also
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Actually there are a couple hundred or more people who come out to the events and usually the events pay out $5k to 6k for 1st place. Tell me how much you might make at your pansy little 4 man scramble or whatever small competition you do.
    We are what MMA is to Boxing. The guys in the sport of long drive are what I would consider the Bad A$$es of golf. We aren't little 165 lb. fags who hit it 260 yds. We are 230+ lb. real men who crush balls 400+ yds and do it with dignity NOT arrogance like most of your PGA golfers.
    Long drivers are extremely overrated. You have no idea the amount of talent it takes to swing a golf club at 145 mph and connect on the sweet spot and keep the ball straight. On top of that we are hitting 400+ yd drives into a grid no bigger than a par 5 fairway. It's probably hard for someone like you to hit it 260 yds. into an open fairway. Just some food for thought.

BG
    You're proud to be a fat slob in a so called event that real players don't care about. We haven't heard your name and never will. Keep thinking that golf is about hitting long drives pinhead. Typical fatarse to diss people who are healthy and in shape. What a tool.

You have to be brave to play good golf. If you play in fear you will never be any good. If you make an adjustment right before swinging in order to avoid trouble then you are not brave.
    Ego has no place in golf. If you are trying to impress people with tee length or iron selection then you are just another fool.

Practicing your chipping and pitching should account for 90 percent of practice. Putting is the other 8 and then hitting balls is 2. Hitting balls off of mats does zero to help you score. Chipping is a good warmup for a full swing anyway. Truth: good chipping ensures good iron play.

That is all for now.
    (Yoda voice) "If play a hole you must, backwards you should play it first.. in your mind... hmmmm... "
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    A little tip here for you. Acceptance is overrated. The way to go on GR is to not give a flying fuk what a sod laying shovel playing chopper like FD thinks of your posts. I just provide the information. If most of the numb nuts like FD who visit this board don't have the intelligence for it to sink in is not my concern.
    Well said.

Ohh nooo, I'm so insulted by a wanna be "Pinhead", skinny *** of a golfer like yourself. If you consider 290 lbs. and pretty muscular to be fat then I guess each has his own opinion. When your ready to play with real men, not faggy little chumps like yourself then let me know.
    Real golfers cut up, drink some beers, and have a good time. Unlike your faggy skinny self. You and your buddies probably wear all matching shirts, pants, and hats to match your $1500 clubs which don't even help you out. Then you probably go and jerk each other off after every birdie you get.
    3.2 handicap my arse. You are probably no better than a 12 handicap. What a tool, WOW think of something a little more original to say.

BG

Ohh nooo, I'm so insulted by a wanna be "Pinhead", skinny *** of a golfer like yourself. If you consider 290 lbs. and pretty muscular to be fat then I guess each has his own opinion. When your ready to play with real men, not faggy little chumps like yourself then let me know.
    Real golfers cut up, drink some beers, and have a good time. Unlike your faggy skinny self. You and your buddies probably wear all matching shirts, pants, and hats to match your $1500 clubs which don't even help you out. Then you probably go and jerk each other off after every birdie you get.
    3.2 handicap my arse. You are probably no better than a 12 handicap. What a tool, WOW think of something a little more original to say.

BG
    I'm speaking for CampFreddy of course.....post a picture please. He'd love to see how 290lbs is "pretty muscular" .

BG
    Now you're 290!!! We've got a major fatboy amongst us who brags about his muscles and drinking beer. Keep drinking that heavy beer Brutas. I'd school your big arse on the course. Nopw go run home to mommy and tell her you were accepted today. Maybe she'll wipe your arse for. I'm done with you meathead. No brains equals no time from me. By the way...you should play ping eye 2 irons.

You are absolutely right about no one giving a shite about long drives. Zuback, from my hometown, 5 time world longdrive champ, still works his day job as a pharmacist and does the occational corporate motivational speach.

In my opinion, if you are the absolute best at something 5 times over, in the entire world...you better be getting paid. It's nothing but an interest, kind of like the bearded lady. Nothing you can't take seriously and means squat.

BG
    Bomb and Gouge, baby!!
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1

That is all for now.
    I would go along with this, with one exception. I would suggest that the ratio would be 75% chipping and pitching. 23% putting and 2% ball striking. I certainly agree that chipping is a good warm up for the full swing. If I arrive late at the course and don't have time to do a full warm up then I feel much better prepared if spend what little time I have available on the practice green. The 23% putting practice may well stem from my own putting flaws. I need to practice putting a lot to keep my stroke in tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    You are absolutely right about no one giving a shite about long drives. Zuback, from my hometown, 5 time world longdrive champ, still works his day job as a pharmacist and does the occational corporate motivational speach.

In my opinion, if you are the absolute best at something 5 times over, in the entire world...you better be getting paid. It's nothing but an interest, kind of like the bearded lady. Nothing you can't take seriously and means squat.
    I would concur with this. In Oz there is a guy called Bilsmar who is the out and out undisputed long drive king. He get's loads of street cred in golfing circles, but last I heard he was still trying to get his game good enough to play golf for a living. His long driving is a side game for him. Don't get me wrong, he takes it seriously and is dedicated to making a living from it, but he still knows it is easier making a living from professional golf than long driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I would concur with this. In Oz there is a guy called Bilsmar who is the out and out undisputed long drive king. He get's loads of street cred in golfing circles, but last I heard he was still trying to get his game good enough to play golf for a living. His long driving is a side game for him. Don't get me wrong, he takes it seriously and is dedicated to making a living from it, but he still knows it is easier making a living from professional golf than long driving.
    Long driving is to golf what Drag Racing is to Formula One.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Long driving is to golf what Drag Racing is to Formula One.
    Or NASCAR.

BG
    I am a 290 lb + man who hits it 275 with no dignity whatsoever.

But I am confused. You said "Long drivers are extremely overrated". THEN you said "you have no idea of the talent it takes... "

So are you overrated AND talent-laden? Or schizophrenic?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

FD, that post is straight out of the Corey Pavin Bible. Real golfers practice 99% of the time with the driver, trying to squeeze a couple more yards out of every shot. The other 1% is spent swinging 5 clubs at once to warm up.
    Chipping and putting is to only be practiced on the basement floor.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins

But I am confused. You said "Long drivers are extremely overrated". THEN you said "you have no idea of the talent it takes... "

If the Boss, who is a devout Christian, was paired with a Baptist minister that was 160 lbs., and drove the ball 220, would the Boss call him a fukking fagg?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

I'm just guessin....but I think he may have meant underrated. Still, I totally condone all contestation on the subject of missuse of vocabulary.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    If the Boss, who is a devout Christian, was paired with a Baptist minister that was 160 lbs., and drove the ball 220, would the Boss call him a fukking fagg?
    If the minister had a small boy following him around, then yes.
    GR lives...

Now there's an unlikely scenario. A long drive champ working in a pharmacy.
    GR lives...

i agree....if you cant get near the green in the proper number of shots then chipping and putting are useless.
    i.e. if you only gettin near the green in 3 shots on a par 4 then you could be the best chip/putter in the world but you are never goin to hit good scores.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I'm just guessin....but I think he may have meant underrated. Still, I totally condone all contestation on the subject of missuse of vocabulary.
    either he meant underrated or the other thing was wrong.. or he could be a total schizophrenic and have meant both contradictory things simultaneously.. :-)

but misuse of language, abuse of meanings or simple mental errors in grammar are the low hanging fruit of GR, and we should all fill our baskets with them as a matter of principle...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Actually there are a couple hundred or more people who come out to the events and usually the events pay out $5k to 6k for 1st place.
    sorry Boss i forgot that the guys on the pga weren't playing for nearly a million a week ! must be my fault for following the wrong style of golf where last gets that big pay out of 5k you're braggin about....

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    After watching some of those long drive guys on ESPN it appears that some if not all include dietary supplements that can only be obtained by prescription. Being a pharmacist for a day job makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I've seen super slow mos and still shots of Zuback in mid swing, and I don't think there is any doubt he is juiced to the eyeballs. He has muscles on top of muscles, and let's not go to his veins.

If Zuback is a pharmacist, his store might be mysteriously missing some stocks of injectable anabolic steroids.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

If Zuback is a pharmacist, his store might be mysteriously missing some stocks of injectable anabolic steroids.
    I'd bet Zuback's store has veterinary practises on it's customer list, with very loose control of prescriptions for horse steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by wishbone
    well, technically, for our Quebecois readers its "Poseur".

But you are a very observant newbie.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    FD, that post is straight out of the Corey Pavin Bible. Real golfers practice 99% of the time with the driver, trying to squeeze a couple more yards out of every shot. The other 1% is spent swinging 5 clubs at once to warm up.
    Thanks goodness it took someone with balls to say this. I would amend this slightly to 95% driver and 5% 3 wood off the deck in order to go for par 5's in two.

Shooting 85 with a few glory shots thrown in is far more impressive than a wussie 74 playing it safe like a pansie all the way.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I try to hit one shot with the 9 iron, the 6 iron and the 3 iron for a total of three shots before I pick up the driver. Then I empty the bucket with the driver, saving one ball for a final flop shot with the lob.

The perfect practice session. Provided the drives are flying the fence at the back, a 277 carry. Many do not, which of course is why I need MORE time with the driver.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

But what about second shots? If you tank a drive you can still recover with a good wood or iron shot to make the third shot on the green and sink the putt for a par.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Driving the ball is incredibly important on today's longer courses. If you eliminate the par 3's, (usually 4 of them) that leaves 14 holes - and if 10/14 of those holes are driver tee shots, well that's pretty significant. Over half the tee shots in a round.

Driving in golf is undervalued, IMO. Driving the golf ball well is the equivalent of being a good QB in football. The QB is the first step of every scoring play - without his successful passing, no receivers can catch the ball and without that it eliminates the passing game from the offense. There's always the running game (which is the equivalent to playing recovery golf), but everyone knows the passing game is what matters the most. QB's don't get paid big bucks to pat the C's @ss and hand-off to the FB all day. They get paid for their arm.

Same thing with golf. Here's an experiment I propose to prove my point:

Case 1. Play all driver tee shot holes normally from your preferred tees and record the total score on those holes.

Case 2. Drop a ball in a trouble area on each of those same holes at the yardages you were hitting from in step one, then hole out each ball from there as if you were lying 1 (a missed tee shot) on each hole. Add those scores up.

I guarantee Case 1 outscores Case 2 every single time, and not just by a couple shots either. Case 2 is also not even factoring in poor drives into hazards or lost balls - so the experiment is actually weighted in favor of Case 2. Good driving is as critical to scoring as a good short game. Can't putt for dough and putt for 6 at the same time.

Spend some time with that driver and learn to hit some fairways. It's easier to hit greens in regulation and minimize your misses from the fairway.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Thanks goodness it took someone with balls to say this. I would amend this slightly to 95% driver and 5% 3 wood off the deck in order to go for par 5's in two.

Shooting 85 with a few glory shots thrown in is far more impressive than a wussie 74 playing it safe like a pansie all the way.
    CLEARLY A JACKASS

Quote Originally Posted by stugstar
    CLEARLY A JACKASS
    You're treading on dangerous ground my friend. Spanqdoggie has a patent on the term JACKASS around here.

Don't make run him run you off the forum.

Now where the f#ck am I?

BG
    If the objective is to "leave everyone talking" wear Rodney Dangerfield clothes, buy a lot of drinks for the gang, and use either super-expensive clubs or ancient stuff. If, on the other hand, you're looking to score well - pick up a few bucks, and feel good about your game. Read Burndog's threads.
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Driving the ball is incredibly important on today's longer courses. If you eliminate the par 3's, (usually 4 of them) that leaves 14 holes - and if 10/14 of those holes are driver tee shots, well that's pretty significant. Over half the tee shots in a round.

Driving in golf is undervalued, IMO. Driving the golf ball well is the equivalent of being a good QB in football. The QB is the first step of every scoring play - without his successful passing, no receivers can catch the ball and without that it eliminates the passing game from the offense. There's always the running game (which is the equivalent to playing recovery golf), but everyone knows the passing game is what matters the most. QB's don't get paid big bucks to pat the C's @ss and hand-off to the FB all day. They get paid for their arm.

Case 1. Play all driver tee shot holes normally from your preferred tees and record the total score on those holes.

Case 2. Drop a ball in a trouble area on each of those same holes at the yardages you were hitting from in step one, then hole out each ball from there as if you were lying 1 (a missed tee shot) on each hole. Add those scores up.

I guarantee Case 1 outscores Case 2 every single time, and not just by a couple shots either. Case 2 is also not even factoring in poor drives into hazards or lost balls - so the experiment is actually weighted in favor of Case 2. Good driving is as critical to scoring as a good short game. Can't putt for dough and putt for 6 at the same time.

Spend some time with that driver and learn to hit some fairways. It's easier to hit greens in regulation and minimize your misses from the fairway.

FON
    It's pointless to argue over which club in the bag is the most important. Everything flows together in golf. What defines good driving? Staying in the fairway or just staying out of trouble? Good chipping affects your iron play. A missed putt of 3 feet can effect your next drive. Making several long putts improves every aspect of your game. No golf club or golf shot lives on an island.

It's easy to say that we should play a round of golf by only focusing on the shot at hand. Unfortunately, we are human beings and it doesn't work that way. Throughout the round we gain and lose confidence by what we've done on previous shots. That's why it's so important to have a good course strategy. If you play smart and avoid stupid mistakes your confidence will be high. With that said, chipping and pitching are the most important shots in golf.

It's pointless to argue over which club in the bag is the most important. Everything flows together in golf. What defines good driving? Staying in the fairway or just staying out of trouble? Good chipping affects your iron play. A missed putt of 3 feet can effect your next drive. Making several long putts improves every aspect of your game. No golf club or golf shot lives on an island.

It's easy to say that we should play a round of golf by only focusing on the shot at hand. Unfortunately, we are human beings and it doesn't work that way. Throughout the round we gain and lose confidence by what we've done on previous shots. That's why it's so important to have a good course strategy. If you play smart and avoid stupid mistakes your confidence will be high. With that said, chipping and pitching are the most important shots in golf.
    Are you ok Famous?
    Having over 1000 posts must be affecting you. I remember some time back when I advised that a thoughtful, intelligent persona was a far better way to go than the smartarse know it all.
    I'm glad to see you have adopted this position in your recent posts. Keep up the good work, there is certainly room for the voice of common sense and reason on this forum. I can envisage you and Dorkman sending wordy pm's to each other soon.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I put a uncut adila nv in my driver today. I got my priorities in line. Drive for show, putt for dough. 48 inches baby! My other one is 45. Pretty cool watching balls leave like cruise missiles
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I am shamed to admit one of my best rounds of the year last year came in a money. trash talking match against a couple of co-workers when my self professed 17 handicapper partner was as close to a 17 as I am Tiger Woods, and my summer long struggles with the driver would result in a nice 10 and 8 spanking. Went three wood off every tee, hitting it long and straight, and we spanked them good.

Didn't hit anything off the range since then but driver, and I still feel dirty

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature

FON
    I have long been sold on the philosophy of good driving being the most important part of the game of golf. If I look back over my scores over the years, I can attribute every low round to a good driving day. For me it's such an important part of the game. Part of the reason is because of the huge differences between good and bad driving for me. If I was a more consistent player, or a tour player, driving wouldn't be quite as big a deal because the difference for them is just missing the fairway and still having a shot. But for a guy like me, a bad driving day means hitting it off the planet and bringing huge numbers into play.

Thread Information