|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I need to rethink my par 5 strategy

I played a par 72 championship couse today and shot an unacceptable 85. I had 3 birdies in there too which made it even more unacceptable. Usually 3 birdies for me will result in a sub 80 round. A post mortem of the round saw that the par 5s is where it all went pear shaped. And it was strategic errors as much as execution errors. I dropped at least 4 shots on two holes by going for the green in two from a long way out with big trouble just short of the green. On both occassions I could have easily hit a middle iron layup to an easy third shot position. I ended up with two double bogies instead of having third shots from inside 120 yards. The other reason for the 85 was woeful driving. I hit two good drives on the opening two holes for two easy pars and two shots up on handicap, but then couldn't hit a single decent drive for the rest of the day. For some stupid reason I put the old driver in the bag instead of the Powerbilt, and it sukt. I'm going back to the same course next Wednesday, and I'm taking the Powerbilt, and I'm not going to blindly reach for 3 wood on the par 5s. I know this sounds spineless and pathetic, but next week I'm going to strategically lay up on the par 5s, Zach Johnson style. Unless I'm within 3 iron distance, I won't be going for the par 5s in two.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I played a par 72 championship couse today and shot an unacceptable 85. I had 3 birdies in there too which made it even more unacceptable. Usually 3 birdies for me will result in a sub 80 round. A post mortem of the round saw that the par 5s is where it all went pear shaped. And it was strategic errors as much as execution errors. I dropped at least 4 shots on two holes by going for the green in two from a long way out with big trouble just short of the green. On both occassions I could have easily hit a middle iron layup to an easy third shot position. I ended up with two double bogies instead of having third shots from inside 120 yards. The other reason for the 85 was woeful driving. I hit two good drives on the opening two holes for two easy pars and two shots up on handicap, but then couldn't hit a single decent drive for the rest of the day. For some stupid reason I put the old driver in the bag instead of the Powerbilt, and it sukt. I'm going back to the same course next Wednesday, and I'm taking the Powerbilt, and I'm not going to blindly reach for 3 wood on the par 5s. I know this sounds spineless and pathetic, but next week I'm going to strategically lay up on the par 5s, Zach Johnson style. Unless I'm within 3 iron distance, I won't be going for the par 5s in two.
    Um ... what do you want us to say? Sounds like you've pretty much answered your own question. Going for the green in two with big trouble in front doesn't sound like the smartest play especially when you're needing 3 wood to get there. Maybe factor in a little course management next time?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Um ... what do you want us to say? Sounds like you've pretty much answered your own question. Going for the green in two with big trouble in front doesn't sound like the smartest play especially when you're needing 3 wood to get there. Maybe factor in a little course management next time?
    It's just so hard to pull an iron and lay up on a par 5. It's so emasculating. But if I ever wnat to get my cap down to a level where I can get into top flight tourneys, and have the game to handle tough course set ups, I've gotta start playing smarter and taking the big mistakes out of the equation. I know you're right Kiwi, there's just this little NAH dresed in a devil suit siting on my left shoulder whispering "go for it pussie" in my ear.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I haven't been using the 3 wood to go for the green at all this year. Part of that is a safety first strategy but also I haven't often been hitting good enough drives to give me a chance to go for the green in two. On Sunday however I hit a beauty off the tee and found myself within 3 wood range so I thought what the hell. I nailed it but blocked it slightly right bringing a big bunker into play. We'd just had some heavy rain which had softened up the fairway and it caused my ball to come up just a few feet short of the bunker to the right of the green. I hadn't been chipping very well with my wedges and the pin was on the far side of the green so I played a 9 iron bump and run and rolled it right up to the hole and just lipped out for an Eagle. I made the birdie putt. Felt good to get a reward for going for it with the 3 wood but it is the first time in months I've even tried. Normally a rescue or 4 iron is a perfect layup to about 90m (100 yards).

Now where the f#ck am I?

My decisions in this regard are made for me. I play on championship layouts (par 5's around 500mts. or longer) and I cannot hit long enough shots to make them in two unless i have a very strong tailwind. Therefore I always play them with the lay-up to wedge or 9 iron distance. If i am having a normal ballstiking day I don't make many bogies.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Personally, I always play for par and unless I have birdie opportunity staring me in the face. That's just the way us short knockers gotta go.......mmmmmm, knockers....me likey.......
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Usually you can look at what the pros on tour do and follow their lead. Keep in mind, unless a par 5 is over 600 yards, today's pros are going to be able to reach it in two and are pretty much going for it every time. So, this is one instance where you can't really think like the average tour pro. You have to use the WWCPD philosophy. That's right: What Would Corey Pavin Do? He is going to pick a spot 80-100 yards out, a distance that he can consistently hit his SW tight. Maybe for you it's 110 and its a PW. Whatever. Pick a club that you can consistently hit a certain distance and lay up to that point.

It's hard to resist the urge to be macho and attempt to hit the par 5's in two, but it will pay big dividends if you can keep your ego in check. If it's not an official round, hit your lay up and then drop an extra ball or two and try to hit the green with a 3 metal. Eventually you will build the confidence in the shot and it won't be such a low percentage shot. However, if there is trouble short, like in NAH's example, it may never make sense to go for it. Swallow your pride and think WWCPD...

NaH, I'm in the same boat. Most of my problems are self-inflicted because of bad decisions brought on by trying to be too manly. If you boom a drive you just can't stand to lay up w/ a ***** iron so you screw up and get into a spot where you can't get up and down and then I start drinking and that helps to accept the fact that I suck. I have started to use 3W off tee on most par5's so there is no decision to make, and it has helped.
    "I'm going to end up working in the lumberyard the rest of my life"

NAH

I have been saying since i joined here that i NEVER go for par 5's in 2. The risks for most handicap golfers far outweigh the occasional magical shot.

Next question, if you arent going for the green in 2 why risk a driver off the tee? Why not hit 3 or 5 wood or even a long iron?

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Well, I can see that the ladies have all gathered in this thread and donned their pink panties. NAH use to hang out with the men on this site but with GI shovels and laying up on par 5s I guess he truly has become emasculated.

It is GR policy to NEVER lay up on par 5s, you Marys! If you miss the green and wind up in trouble then you have simply made a bad mistake according to your golfing buddies. If you make it on in 2, then you go down into the annals of eternal glory. BUT, if you lay up and go for it in 3, you will always be considered a puss for not possessing the testicular fortitude to at least try and make the green in 2.

O how far the great have fallen . . . . . . the next thing you know, most of you will be wearing pink trousers with Edgey, and Camp Freddy will be trying to cop a feel off of you on the tee boxes!
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I don't hit 3 wood off the turf for sh!t, so if I'm outside the 19* gaybrid, I'm not going for it. For me, I'll try to stretch for more yardage if the circumstances are right. Never when there is a severe penalty short (like water). If the pin is back, I almost always go for it, because I'll likely be short and there will be more green to work with. Otherwise, I try to lay it up between 80 - 105 yards.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I posted a recent thread that addressed this very issue on Par 5's. Shame on you for not taking advantage of that free information. You would have parred them all or maybe even had a birdie or two and you'd be dancing in the streets. Instead, you're comparing yourself to Zach and fancying your defeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I don't hit 3 wood off the turf for sh!t, so if I'm outside the 19* gaybrid, I'm not going for it. For me, I'll try to stretch for more yardage if the circumstances are right. Never when there is a severe penalty short (like water). If the pin is back, I almost always go for it, because I'll likely be short and there will be more green to work with. Otherwise, I try to lay it up between 80 - 105 yards.

This is exactly my strategy. If I am outside the 19* hybrid I lay up around 100 yards. Playing with the brothers in law last year there was a noticeable difference in scores on the par 5s. I walked away with par or bogey at worse and they were taking snowmen since their 2nd shot was almost always a 3wood that got them into trouble......

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    This is exactly my strategy. If I am outside the 19* hybrid I lay up around 100 yards. Playing with the brothers in law last year there was a noticeable difference in scores on the par 5s. I walked away with par or bogey at worse and they were taking snowmen since their 2nd shot was almost always a 3wood that got them into trouble......
    Plus it's just not smart to play a shot where the best case scenario is no good. I hate trying to play little touch shots from 25 - 70 yards. I guess I should be better at those distances, but that requires a level of practice I can't commit to, and that yardage should be avoidable.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Well, I can see that the ladies have all gathered in this thread and donned their pink panties. NAH use to hang out with the men on this site but with GI shovels and laying up on par 5s I guess he truly has become emasculated.

It is GR policy to NEVER lay up on par 5s, you Marys! If you miss the green and wind up in trouble then you have simply made a bad mistake according to your golfing buddies. If you make it on in 2, then you go down into the annals of eternal glory. BUT, if you lay up and go for it in 3, you will always be considered a puss for not possessing the testicular fortitude to at least try and make the green in 2.

O how far the great have fallen . . . . . . the next thing you know, most of you will be wearing pink trousers with Edgey, and Camp Freddy will be trying to cop a feel off of you on the tee boxes!
    Not just par 5's. I lay up on Long par 3's......course management......
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

On nearly all of the courses I commonly play, the greens on par 5's are pretty well booby trapped with either bunkers or water hazards. I'm far more likely to get a par or birdie on a par 5 by laying up to a 70-100 yard distance than to risk putting up a bogey or worse by going for the green in two. I simply don't have a long club that is going to hit a high lofted shot over the trouble around and in front of the green, and then stop on a dime to keep from going off the back of the green. Sometimes I have to take a fairly short club on the layup shot, but the game is all about scoring, not chest beating like a gorilla.

If one is playing on a less challenging course that has relatively unprotected greens, then it might be worth it going for the green in 2, even with a fairway wood. It's all about balancing risks and rewards, and having a reasonably realistic concept of one's own strengths and weaknesses.

For many of us, the chances of putting up a big number on a hole far outweigh the likelihood of getting that elusive eagle, much less even a birdie. I'm far more likely to birdie a par 5 by sticking a wedge tight and one putting than I am to 2 putt after a long, risky shot to a well protected green.

Course management......even if one is "the best ball striker on this board." (Sort of like being the sanest inmate in the asylum, or the kid with the highest IQ in the Special Olympics)
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Good strategy. On a totally unrelated subject, have you broken 80 yet? (-;

Quote Originally Posted by KoolCat
    Good strategy. On a totally unrelated subject, have you broken 80 yet? (-;
    I know when I've been zinged. Well done.

I will be breaking 80 soon though, of this I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Plus it's just not smart to play a shot where the best case scenario is no good. I hate trying to play little touch shots from 25 - 70 yards. I guess I should be better at those distances, but that requires a level of practice I can't commit to, and that yardage should be avoidable.

I used to go for it all the time and when I didnt top the 3* or lose it, I would always end up with those dreaded yardages you mentioned being forced to play a 1/2 this or some shot like you mentioned, didnt get that much practice time.

So now I try and leave myself a full wedge or short iron. Easier to manage.

Ive really worked at the course mgmt thing the past couple years and my scores have reflected it. So much so that I am even considering Mizuno irons! lol

There's one other thing that I consider when going for a par 5 green in two. That is where the pin is placed. If it's front or in a position that I can get short sided with a poor long iron or fairway wood I'll lay up. If there's plenty of green to work with and there isn't a water hazard or some other serious jail areas I'll go for it. Depending on the green and how I'm chipping, I'll sometimes play just short of the green/hazards leaving a manageable chip to the pin. Along those same lines a bailout area next to the green, even a bunker is good strategy. I'll opt for having a short chip to the green any day over a full wedge. But then I'm good around the green. Mostly it depends on how I'm playing that day. If I'm not striking the ball well then I'm going to layup. Play to your strengths and the game you brought that day.

"you will always be considered a puss for not possessing the testicular fortitude to at least try and make the green in 2."

My testicles have been neglected for so long I'm not sure they work anymore. I'm willing to accept my skirt and pink panties if the scores improve. From this day forward I'm playing EVERY par 5 as a 3-shotter.
    "I'm going to end up working in the lumberyard the rest of my life"

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    Quote in part....
    "Didn't see it, but he's obviously a gutless jelly back.

A young JD wouldn't have even had to decide for that one, he would have just figured out which iron to hit.

... he was either too gutless or too hopeless to go for the green in two. "

Ring a bell. NAH? I think you know what the right answer is on par 5's. Just do it. Show that young punk Ricky Fowler how a real man plays golf.

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    Not just par 5's. I lay up on Long par 3's......course management......
    There was someone on my high school team who had that same game plan on Par 3s over 6 iron distance. Lay up with a 7 and wedge it it for a 4! Of course they would 3 putt for a 5., or chilip dip the wedge. What a disaster.
    WitB 2010:

Dr: Titleist 907 D1, YS 6+ s flex
    3W: Cobra S9-1 F, , Aldila DVS HL s flex
    2H: Callaway Heavenwood 17 degree
    3i-pw Titleist 690 CBs, True Temper s300
    gw: Cleveland CG12 52 degree
    sw: Cleveland CG12 58 degree
    Putter: Ping Anser G2i
    Ball: Srixon Z Star/Bridgestone B330S

Other clubs:
    Dr: Callaway FT 5, Aldilia DVS s-flex
    5W: Cleveland Launcher Fuji E270 s flex
    3i - pw Mizuno MP 29, (planning to reshaft at some point).

I feel more comfortable with my 3 wood or 5 wood going for a par 5 in two, than my 3 and 4 irons at that length, so I usually opt for a rip at the center of the green provided there aren't too many hazards in the area. I am very consistent with the 5 wood with distance control, so I am aggressive with it and it usually pays off.

All of this is contigent on the tee shot though. A bad angle or bad lie takes the aggressive option out of the bag for me. If I am going into the green blind, or if the pin is tucked away in a protected corner near a water hazard, I will more likely lay up and wedge it in for a birdie chance. I still say I go for it 6 or 7 out of 10 times if I am in range.
    WitB 2010:

Other clubs:

It's just so hard to pull an iron and lay up on a par 5. It's so emasculating. But if I ever wnat to get my cap down to a level where I can get into top flight tourneys, and have the game to handle tough course set ups, I've gotta start playing smarter and taking the big mistakes out of the equation. I know you're right Kiwi, there's just this little NAH dresed in a devil suit siting on my left shoulder whispering "go for it pussie" in my ear.
    Use two different plans. If your pressing, down in a bet and a long three wood can win it go for it. If not take the seven iron put the ball in 75 to 100 range or your favorite yardage and stick it on the green with a wedge. At the worst you will end up with par but greatly increase chances for a birdie.
    GHD

PS short par 5's with litle or no hazards go for it.
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    I feel more comfortable with my 3 wood or 5 wood going for a par 5 in two, than my 3 and 4 irons at that length, so I usually opt for a rip at the center of the green provided there aren't too many hazards in the area. I am very consistent with the 5 wood with distance control, so I am aggressive with it and it usually pays off.

All of this is contigent on the tee shot though. A bad angle or bad lie takes the aggressive option out of the bag for me. If I am going into the green blind, or if the pin is tucked away in a protected corner near a water hazard, I will more likely lay up and wedge it in for a birdie chance. I still say I go for it 6 or 7 out of 10 times if I am in range.
    All of the par 5s at my home course are that way -- the Tee shot dictates whether or not the green is approachable in 2 or not. 3 out of the 4 par 5s penalize a bad tee shot. If you make a good tee shot though, you can go for the green with only a bunker or two being a possible penalty. Personally, I get up and down well out of the sand so I don't even get concerned if I am a bunker greenside in 2 shots on a par 5.

Well not all of us can stick a 280 yard 3 wood across a water hazard like you and Camilo Villegas. So a seven iron and short wedge will have to do.
    GHD
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

All of the par 5s at my home course are that way -- the Tee shot dictates whether or not the green is approachable in 2 or not. 3 out of the 4 par 5s penalize a bad tee shot. If you make a good tee shot though, you can go for the green with only a bunker or two being a possible penalty. Personally, I get up and down well out of the sand so I don't even get concerned if I am a bunker greenside in 2 shots on a par 5.
    That is where my game on par 5s will do me in. If I hit a bad tee shot, a lot of these old New England courses will make you pay the price. we have a lot of tree lined courses or some links courses on the coast. My par 5 game is usually done in by bad driving or bad putting, hardly ever bad fairway wood and iron play.
    WitB 2010:

Other clubs:

When you go for it, are you thinking "easy birdie" or really hoping to get an eagle? I'm always thinking of the eagle...probably because I've never had one. I think that causes a whole range of problems for me, from getting tense, over thinking swing, etc.

I'm not consistent enough to fly a 3 wood straight so I usually lay up to 60 yards with my gaybrid and hopefully stick the SW close enough for a birdie chance.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutter
    That is where my game on par 5s will do me in. If I hit a bad tee shot, a lot of these old New England courses will make you pay the price. we have a lot of tree lined courses or some links courses on the coast. My par 5 game is usually done in by bad driving or bad putting, hardly ever bad fairway wood and iron play.
    Your avatar says it all for this thread. Ego got in the way of common sense and he lost the British Open. At the interview afterward he said something to the effect that he wanted to go out in style. Well, he doesn't look stylish with his pants rolled up. Making birdie on a par 5 feels great no matter how you do it.

I'd appreciate if you postpone that moment until after you and I have looped.. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Your avatar says it all for this thread. Ego got in the way of common sense and he lost the British Open. At the interview afterward he said something to the effect that he wanted to go out in style. Well, he doesn't look stylish with his pants rolled up. Making birdie on a par 5 feels great no matter how you do it.
    I cant make out who that is....

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I'd appreciate if you postpone that moment until after you and I have looped.. :-)
    Yeah, like that's going to happen. Get out your diaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    I cant make out who that is....
    Jon Van-de-Velde.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Jon Van-de-Velde.
    JEAN Van de Velde OP, he is French mate

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    JEAN Van de Velde OP, he is French mate

Edgey
    Thanks for the correction Edgey, I appreciate you keeping me in line. I deplore imperfection.
    Last edited by oldplayer; 03-24-2010 at 10:56 AM.

We are talking consistently breaking 80s, not once in a blue moon. I shot 79 twice, I would not consider that as my normal game

Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    When you go for it, are you thinking "easy birdie" or really hoping to get an eagle? I'm always thinking of the eagle...probably because I've never had one. I think that causes a whole range of problems for me, from getting tense, over thinking swing, etc.

I'm not consistent enough to fly a 3 wood straight so I usually lay up to 60 yards with my gaybrid and hopefully stick the SW close enough for a birdie chance.
    Birdies tend to fly fast... how often do we turn birdie into bogey? more often than we think

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Thanks for the correction Edgey, I appreciate you keeping me in line. I deplore inperfection.
    Always a pleasure, never a chore.

Edgey

Don't listen to these pansies Sooner. Everyone knows that it is much better to shoot an 85 like NAH whilst manning up, going for par 5's in two and attacking every pin. Playing wussie golf and shooting 74 is for sissies.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Don't listen to these pansies Sooner. Everyone knows that it is much better to shoot an 85 like NAH whilst manning up, going for par 5's in two and attacking every pin. Playing wussie golf and shooting 74 is for sissies.
    I completely agree that all of you should go for every par 5 no matter what. My wallet gets bigger and bigger as the association of par 5 idiots grows in membership.

[QUOTE=famousdavis]Your avatar says it all for this thread. Ego got in the way of common sense and he lost the British Open. At the interview afterward he said something to the effect that he wanted to go out in style. Well, he doesn't look stylish with his pants rolled up. Making birdie on a par 5 feels great no matter how you do it.[/QUOTE

When I screw up a par 5, the folly is not in the 2nd shot usually, unless im silly enough to hit a blind shot. The aggressive folly is off the tee by hitting a driver on a tight hole instead of laying back with a long iron or fairway wood.
    WitB 2010:

Other clubs:

Got my first eagle Sunday on a 500 yard par 5. Good drive and smoked a 4 wood to within 2 feet. Next hole took a double. Arghh, just so damned incosistent.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135
    Got my first eagle Sunday on a 500 yard par 5. Good drive and smoked a 4 wood to within 2 feet. Next hole took a double. Arghh, just so damned inconsistent.
    Sounds just like my game.

Congrats on the Eagle!!!

I've had 3. First one I fluked a 25 foot putt after getting on in two with a 3 wood. Other two were on the same hole at my local course and both were short putts that I knocked close, one with a 3 wood and the other with a 5 wood.

Never yet had an Eagle on a par 4 or an ace on a par 3.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverologist
    Quote in part....
    "Didn't see it, but he's obviously a gutless jelly back.

A young JD wouldn't have even had to decide for that one, he would have just figured out which iron to hit.

... he was either too gutless or too hopeless to go for the green in two. "

Ring a bell. NAH? I think you know what the right answer is on par 5's. Just do it. Show that young punk Ricky Fowler how a real man plays golf.
    I stand by all those comments. If I had the natural ability and time to practice of a Ricky Fowler, and had nothing more than a 4 iron into the green, I would be going for it. And he was pressing for a win, and came up empty, so my comments about him being a gutless coward were vindicated. I have merely faced up to the unpalatable truth that those guys play a different game to me, and I can't use the same strategies they use.

SAME THING HERE:

I'm not going belly up like the bi.tch that started this thread. but i have noticed i drop more shots on par 5's than on any other hole.
    it's always been that way for me, I dont like most par 5's and very few par 3's: the problem with the 5's is if you go for it in two, even if there's not a sever penalty, most par 5's have small greens so you inevitably are left with a very delicate shot of some kind... you don't pull it off and the next thing you know you're scrambling for par.

god forbid you thin something off a hanging lie and walk off with 7 or worse: then you're pissed off to no end going to the next tee. It's usually 5 rounds of golf later when you get over that par 5 but by that time you've done the same thing 5 more times

PHUCK

played today reached two par 5's in two and two putted for birdie. reached the greenside bunker in two on the single remaining par 5 and left with a phucking 8:

not to mention the irons were very rusty, putter was shi.t, hell the only thing i hit properly all day was the 5 wood and 3 wood.

Omen, I really need some range time.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    SAME THING HERE:

I'm not going belly up like the bi.tch that started this thread. but i have noticed i drop more shots on par 5's than on any other hole.
    it's always been that way for me, I dont like most par 5's and very few par 3's: the problem with the 5's is if you go for it in two, even if there's not a sever penalty, most par 5's have small greens so you inevitably are left with a very delicate shot of some kind... you don't pull it off and the next thing you know you're scrambling for par.

god forbid you thin something off a hanging lie and walk off with 7 or worse: then you're pissed off to no end going to the next tee. It's usually 5 rounds of golf later when you get over that par 5 but by that time you've done the same thing 5 more times

PHUCK

played today reached two par 5's in two and two putted for birdie. reached the greenside bunker in two on the single remaining par 5 and left with a phucking 8:

not to mention the irons were very rusty, putter was shi.t, hell the only thing i hit properly all day was the 5 wood and 3 wood.

Omen, I really need some range time.
    Sorry to confuse you Omen, but I was referring to men's par 5s, from the tips. For a hole to be reachable in two for you it would have to come in at less than 420 metres (we've seen your swing, and your physique so no point trying to BS us), which in Oz is a long par 4 or women's par 5.

Glad we got this starightened out.

Yesterday I tried a Gaybrid 19*. I was as easy as ABC. So second shot par 5, Gaybrid 19*.

Quote Originally Posted by jearliff
    "you will always be considered a puss for not possessing the testicular fortitude to at least try and make the green in 2."

My testicles have been neglected for so long I'm not sure they work anymore. I'm willing to accept my skirt and pink panties if the scores improve. From this day forward I'm playing EVERY par 5 as a 3-shotter.
    Good for you, you've got to play to your strengths. If a skirt and pink panties will help you keep your swing smooth and help prevent you from trying the hero shots, go for it! It will help keep your playing partners thinking about someting besides their own games, and maybe it will help your scoring ... both on and off the course.
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Quote Originally Posted by No_Idea
    Yesterday I tried a Gaybrid 19*. I was as easy as ABC. So second shot par 5, Gaybrid 19*.

Here you go, NI, at least you have lots of company in here . . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Got my first eagle Sunday on a 500 yard par 5. Good drive and smoked a 4 wood to within 2 feet. Next hole took a double. Arghh, just so damned incosistent."

Haa, I did the exact same thing last week. Driver 3 wood to 4 feet and made the eagle. Next hole, push fade the driver to under a power line station, then blast my next shot hole high but 30 yards right.. Hack onto the back green, 3 putt from there. It's that damned birdie/bogey golf that pisses me off to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mward2002
    "Got my first eagle Sunday on a 500 yard par 5. Good drive and smoked a 4 wood to within 2 feet. Next hole took a double. Arghh, just so damned incosistent."

Haa, I did the exact same thing last week. Driver 3 wood to 4 feet and made the eagle. Next hole, push fade the driver to under a power line station, then blast my next shot hole high but 30 yards right.. Hack onto the back green, 3 putt from there. It's that damned birdie/bogey golf that pisses me off to no end.
    It is known as aPBF or a PEF (post birdie f u c k up) (post eagle F u c k up)
    Congrats on your first one I have two.
    GHD
    Sun Tzu

Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by groundhogday
    It is known as aPBF or a PEF (post birdie f u c k up) (post eagle F u c k up)
    Congrats on your first one I have two.
    GHD
    I call it "The Law of the Conservation of Mediocrity."

It is a necessary phenomenon to restore the fundamental equilbrium of the universe.......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I call it "The Law of the Conservation of Mediocrity."

It is a necessary phenomenon to restore the fundamental equilbrium of the universe.......
    I thought it was called being a sod laying chopper. Just ask NAH.

I thought it was called being a sod laying chopper. Just ask NAH.
    Are you trying to supplant Fred 3 as the board's most perpetually ill-tempered poster?
    That's quite an undertaking, and I'm not sure you have what it takes. But try, nonetheless.......

Are you trying to supplant Fred 3 as the board's most perpetually ill-tempered poster?
    That's quite an undertaking, and I'm not sure you have what it takes. But try, nonetheless.......
    Even a person with average intelligence could see that my posts are not ill-tempered at all. On the contrary they are witty, insightful and sometimes sarcastic. For the most part they are pure genious. Instead of dummy I must now call you bonehead.

Even a person with average intelligence could see that my posts are not ill-tempered at all. On the contrary they are witty, insightful and sometimes sarcastic. For the most part they are pure genious. Instead of dummy I must now call you bonehead.
    "Genious" ??

How ironic......

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/genious

Thanks guys. Been kind of lucky in the last eight months. Got a hole in one last August now and eagle in March. Now if I can get a score under 80 this year would be a great trifecta.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Yeah, like that's going to happen. Get out your diaries.
    FD... are you on some sort of prescription? did the doctor raise the dose and warn of side effects?

Look, I'm sympathetic, we've all got problems... but.. 'get out your diaries'?

Try breaking the pills in half.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Me, I"ll take a whack at it from 235-240 every time.. greenside bunker in 2 is fine with me..

BUT

if the green is tucked back into a Sherwood Forest-type corner, trees on both sides or wrapped in a creek or what have you, then no.

I"m confident with the distance, but the error factor at that distance is just too great to screw with hazards or lost balls. I'd rather try a wide open shot with 225 yd carry over water than try to tuck the three wood into some kind of nook....

I hate those greens that are wedged into a corner of the forest. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

OK, so I spelled geneous wrong.

There is nothing that makes you feel more like a ***** on the course than trying to hit the smart shot and layup on a par five, then ****ing up the shot and leaving yourself looking like a ball less sack trying to hit your third shot from some crappy ass lie behind a big tree.

If I need to layup on a par 5, I grab my three wood, rear back a little farther than normal, make my transition a little quicker, peak my head just a bit, and hit a 150 or so yard roller to the perfect spot. Might look like a crappy golfer, but not a *****.

I'll go for it every possible time I can, unless there's water fronting, OB with a miss, or some similar situation where I might bring double into play. But if the downside's a bogey, I'm going for it. Sure there are rounds where the score's higher, but if it's not for alot of money or a tournament, so what? Reaching in two is fun enough to take some risk.

That said, the hardest club to fit is the three wood off the deck. If you don't have alot of confidence in it then there's no point.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I'll go for it every possible time I can, unless there's water fronting, OB with a miss, or some similar situation where I might bring double into play. But if the downside's a bogey, I'm going for it. Sure there are rounds where the score's higher, but if it's not for alot of money or a tournament, so what? Reaching in two is fun enough to take some risk.

That said, the hardest club to fit is the three wood off the deck. If you don't have alot of confidence in it then there's no point.
    I can't believe it, Lorenzo has my back on this one!!

I just knew that Omen would come to my rescue waving his Mizuno 2 iron high in the air in direct defiance to such pus syisms (my invention and I own copyright) as have been propagated by the effeminate majority within this thread, but I have sadly been led to find that he too now has to apply tampons on a monthly basis.

(sigh)

Here you go, NI, at least you have lots of company in here . . . . .
    sheet, dude. that pantie reminds me of the good old days when i stole sets of panties and bras from dryers to masturbate.

sheet, dude. that pantie reminds me of the good old days when i stole sets of panties and bras from dryers to masturbate.
    Funny, you seemed like the type to enjoy the dirty, worn ones; sniffing the crotch trying to decide if its poop or pus*y you are smelling.

yeah, uh, too much info here..

although it's a relief to at least note that it was FEMALE undies that did the trick.

what can I say, glass half full, etc...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc

three wood off the deck is easy. My problem is, at 230-240 the margin of sideways error is substantial... I have NO problem with water carries of 220... I don't miss this one short... but I may drift right or left, can't be sure of the result. So I'll go for it unless the large majority of the trouble is right on either side of the green...

I'll be happy with bunker in 2, can make birdie sometimes from there, but don't want 'dead in woods'...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    My 3 wood off the deck is one of the most confident shots I got. Its almost always a go on par 5s, saved me from some embarrasing tee shots this year already. Even with the crushed 3 wood on one the other day in to the trees, still managed par,with the penalty, cause I was left with a pansy @ss chip, and a one putt. I have been letting a couple of par 3s beat me up again though. Imagine that!
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Thumbs down

i wish i had your problems...... I not long started playin golf and can only drive bout 230, so on a long hole i generaly need to hit my 3wood just to lay up and have a third to the green.

Quote Originally Posted by stugstar
    i wish i had your problems...... I not long started playin golf and can only drive bout 230, so on a long hole i generaly need to hit my 3wood just to lay up and have a third to the green.
    Slugger - This is not really the kind of admission you want to be making here. FYI the minimum virtual drive need for posting - if you want to be taken seriously - is in the 290-320 range.
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Quote Originally Posted by stugstar
    "should've called him the dork"

Quote Originally Posted by Regulation Guy
    Slugger - This is not really the kind of admission you want to be making here. FYI the minimum virtual drive need for posting - if you want to be taken seriously - is in the 290-320 range.
    Into the wind with wet fairways while injured and suffering from blue balls.
    GR lives...

Played a par 5 on Saturday that has a big pond in front of the green The usual strategy is an easy 7 iron layup to 100 yards and a wedge to the green. However on Saturday I nailed a better than average drive that brought me into range to reach the green in 2. I was about to reach for a 7-8 iron when a little OZ devil sitting on my left shoulder whispered in an OZ accent "Go for it pussie!"

I grabbed the 19* rescue and aimed for the left hand side of the green where there was plenty of landing area and worst result a bunker behind the green. The pond angles away at a 45* angle to the right so a shot at the flag was too far and out of the question. I picked my spot to the left and pulled the trigger. The ball started out on target but then started to fade towards the right of the green and didn't quite have the carry. It took one bounce on the bank below the green and rolled into the pond. No problem I thought. Take a drop in front of the pond and put it in the middle of the green and walk away with a 6 at worst.

WRONG!

Still annoyed with the water shot I blocked a wedge straight into the middle of the pond and had to drop another. Long story short a great drive that should have left me with birdie chance or an easy par turned into a round ruining 8!

When will I learn???

Now where the f#ck am I?

Played a par 5 on Saturday that has a big pond in front of the green The usual strategy is an easy 7 iron layup to 100 yards and a wedge to the green. However on Saturday I nailed a better than average drive that brought me into range to reach the green in 2. I was about to reach for a 7-8 iron when a little OZ devil sitting on my left shoulder whispered in an OZ accent "Go for it pussie!"

I grabbed the 19* rescue and aimed for the left hand side of the green where there was plenty of landing area and worst result a bunker behind the green. The pond angles away at a 45* angle to the right so a shot at the flag was too far and out of the question. I picked my spot to the left and pulled the trigger. The ball started out on target but then started to fade towards the right of the green and didn't quite have the carry. It took one bounce on the bank below the green and rolled into the pond. No problem I thought. Take a drop in front of the pond and put it in the middle of the green and walk away with a 6 at worst.

WRONG!

Still annoyed with the water shot I blocked a wedge straight into the middle of the pond and had to drop another. Long story short a great drive that should have left me with birdie chance or an easy par turned into a round ruining 8!

When will I learn???
    You won't learn Kiwi. Par 5s are round killers for suckers like us.

What a bunch of wussies.......wah wah I cant hit a drive long enough to go for it in 2. all par 5s are designed to be a 3 shot hole. Eagles are rare and few for some. So lay the fuk up and get your par or birdie and on to the next one. even a bogey on a par 5 is a round killer ,shite the number 6 on any hole is a round killer. I thought you guys avg 270 off the tee. thats more than enough to get to the green in 2 when you play from the white tees. I mean damn the fist 3 holes at my club are par 4s that go 471yds, 480yds, and then 488yds. How would you hacks fair on those 3 beasts day in and day out.
    A.K.A StrokeGuru

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    What a bunch of wussies.......wah wah I cant hit a drive long enough to go for it in 2. all par 5s are designed to be a 3 shot hole. Eagles are rare and few for some. So lay the fuk up and get your par or birdie and on to the next one. even a bogey on a par 5 is a round killer ,shite the number 6 on any hole is a round killer. I thought you guys avg 270 off the tee. thats more than enough to get to the green in 2 when you play from the white tees. I mean damn the fist 3 holes at my club are par 4s that go 471yds, 480yds, and then 488yds. How would you hacks fair on those 3 beasts day in and day out.
    You raise a really good point. If you can't reach any par 5-s in two, move up to a more forward tee. You're missing part of the fun of the game because your ego has you beating yourself with a stick.

I know that wasn't your point at all. I'm compensating for you. No problem.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by ProStatus
    My main point was from a golf architectural standpoint. I was commenting that althugh alot of par 5s are reachable in two good shots, most of them have big danger just short of the greens to stop people from running it up. I was just saying that from a golf strategy perspective, the punishment for a slightly mishit second shot makes it not worth risking. But I didn't expect you to understand anything involving golf strategy so no offence taken.

Here's a tip:

Just learn to get longer off the Tee.

Not all par 5's are accessible in 2, and designed that way. When you find one that can be gotten, then your new tee length will certainly make it easier to go at the ***** in 2.

3 Woods into the green on Par 5's RARELY work out to anyone's benefit, like I said, get longer off the tee, so you're NOT going at it with the 3 wood when you do find one that is accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Blade
    Here's a tip:

Just learn to get longer off the Tee.

Not all par 5's are accessible in 2, and designed that way. When you find one that can be gotten, then your new tee length will certainly make it easier to go at the ***** in 2.

3 Woods into the green on Par 5's RARELY work out to anyone's benefit, like I said, get longer off the tee, so you're NOT going at it with the 3 wood when you do find one that is accessible.
    Hey Da Blade

How's it hanging man? Great to have you back. Now I recall that you are a HUGE Phil Mickelson fan from way back. If you don't remember here's a little reminder:

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthr...72953#poststop

So tell us. How great did it feel to see Phil pick up the Green Jacket on Sunday?
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 04-14-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hey Da Blade

How's it hanging man? Great to have you back. Now I recall that you are a HUGE Phil Mickelson from way back. If you don't remember here's a little reminder:

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthr...72953#poststop

So tell us. How great did it feel to see Phil pick up the Green Jacket on Sunday?
    I remember that hillarious post. Da Blade, we need ya man.
    GR lives...

Thread Information