|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

How Do I Stop My Right Hand from Turning?

Hi all,

I recently started have some serious trouble with my driver. I duck hook just about every shot. Occasionally, I top the ball and it skips straight into the ground about 50 yards. I'm right-handed and have been using a 10-finger grip. My irons are excellent and very consistent. At one time, I could drive 280 and my irons were terrible. Now it's just the opposite. I think over-practicing hitting down on my irons ruined my driving swing.

I recently switched over to an interlocking grip for my driver, but still no success. I'll set up proper at address, but by the time I get my downswing to the ball, my right hand has turned and the club face is very closed. For irons, I naturally set up a little closed, but this works well for me.

I also tried to focus on keeping my right wrist to the sky during impact, but still no success.

Please help.

Many Thanks.

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    Post swing video

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Get those right pinscer fingers off the club
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

pull the club through with ya left hand more than pushing it with your right......will stop the face closing so quickly

This may just be me, but I find that the duck hooks occur when my lower body's stopped turning. The shoulders arms slam shut and the ball has no place to go but left no matter how much you fight it.

See if that's happening to you as well. Hard to tell without a swing video.

Maybe you're taking it back too far inside and then have to flip to get square at impact. I'd buy a new driver or two and see if that fixes the problem.
    GR lives...

Easy -- You just don't roll it over.
    Okay okay.

Hm. Try hitting balls for a while with your left hand only. Take small swings at first, and longer as you start hitting the ball straight.

What else....Have a pro look at your grip. It sounds like it sucks.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Two words: swing glove.
    Two more: you're welcome.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    What else....Have a pro look at your grip. It sounds like it sucks.
    When I got a lesson and fitted last week the pro changed 1 thing with me. My grip. I had too weak of a grip. He moved my right hand (left hand for you righties) more over to my left on top of the club. Stronger grip. What started as a weak fade became a little draw by lessons end. Impact felt much better. Distance was also increased.

The grip is the only thing he changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mdsnj
    Hi all,

I recently started have some serious trouble with my driver. I duck hook just about every shot. Occasionally, I top the ball and it skips straight into the ground about 50 yards. I'm right-handed and have been using a 10-finger grip. My irons are excellent and very consistent. At one time, I could drive 280 and my irons were terrible. Now it's just the opposite. I think over-practicing hitting down on my irons ruined my driving swing.

I recently switched over to an interlocking grip for my driver, but still no success. I'll set up proper at address, but by the time I get my downswing to the ball, my right hand has turned and the club face is very closed. For irons, I naturally set up a little closed, but this works well for me.

I also tried to focus on keeping my right wrist to the sky during impact, but still no success.

Please help.

Many Thanks.
    Do what Furyk and many others do--overlap two fingers. Also ensure your grip is "neutral" and not too strong. Few amateurs can handle a David Duvall strong grip because they don't start their downswing with lower body aggressively enough. When we are even a little late, the clubhead will be closed at impact.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    Do what Furyk and many others do--overlap two fingers. Also ensure your grip is "neutral" and not too strong. Few amateurs can handle a David Duvall strong grip because they don't start their downswing with lower body aggressively enough. When we are even a little late, the clubhead will be closed at impact.

Larry
    It is always so amusing to get swing advice off someone who cannot break 100.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    It is always so amusing to get swing advice off someone who cannot break 100.

Edgey
    Wasn't it LarieSRF that won't listen to anyone that isn't a PGA Pro?

Larrie, Did you pass your PAT and not tell us? That's great. You'll probably need it to supplement your retirement after the cost for this health care bill kicks in...

[QUOTE=poe4soul]Wasn't it LarieSRF that won't listen to anyone that isn't a PGA Pro?QUOTE]

The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    When I got a lesson and fitted last week the pro changed 1 thing with me. My grip. I had too weak of a grip. He moved my right hand (left hand for you righties) more over to my left on top of the club. Stronger grip. What started as a weak fade became a little draw by lessons end. Impact felt much better. Distance was also increased.

The grip is the only thing he changed.
    I thought that you already knew about this after many years of playing The gơod thing is that he changes your grip , not mold your swing into his. Yes, the correct grip is almost everything to strike a ball clean, IMO.... I experimented with this a lot. I am right handed and I found that "strong grip for left hand + weaker grip for right hand" is my best combination

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I thought that you already knew about this after many years of playing The gơod thing is that he changes your grip , not mold your swing into his. Yes, the correct grip is almost everything to strike a ball clean, IMO.... I experimented with this a lot. I am right handed and I found that "strong grip for left hand + weaker grip for right hand" is my best combination

Guy said my swing plane was good. Posure, setup, alignment, ball position were all good. He didnt want to mess with that at all. He just moved my right hand more on top of the club, and had me loosen my death grip with my left hand. The first few shots I was duck hooking everything - probably due to the left hand. He had me relax it to the point where I thought my hand was going to friggin fall off the club. He just said trust it. So after a few swings it all started to come together. I was pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdsnj
    Hi all,

Please help.

Many Thanks.
    I think I know what you are doing. You are trying to keep your wrist to the sky through impact, so I would bet you are strengthening your right hand grip at address...this means you are trying to get your palm more towards the sky at address...well, this grip adjustment will actually make the problem worse. Next time you address the ball with the driver: 1. make sure the clubface is square, 2. turn your right hand counter clockwise so that more of the back of the right hand is facing the sky...this is called weakening the grip and will prevent the hands from closing too much at impact.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Thread Information