|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Does Mickelson Lack Star Power?

Mickelson plays a pretty exciting game of golf, but I don't really enjoy watching him unless someone with a little personality is challenging him.

Westwood vs. Mickelson had to be a ratings killer. On paper you would think the cancer story line and Phil's go for it style of play would be interesting, but it just wasn't. I was bored on Sunday. I was praying for Tiger to make a run, but I could tell he didn't have his sheet together. Big letdown. It could have been so much better if someone like Rickie Fowler, Poulter, AK, Tiger, or Bubba was in serious contention.

The Master's might have been unwatchable without Tiger's rollercoaster-like round in the mix.

Mickelson was much more interesting as the bad guy. He is utterly boring in the good guy roll. Mickelson needs to get off the diet and start letting that little cocky a-hole trapped inside him back out.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

It was a bit weird how Mickleson was a bit of a back burner story last week.
    1st round was all about Tiger playing well and the old guys on the leaderboard, meanwhile Phil was at -5 and 1 shot back.
    2nd round was still pretty Tigered up, and a bit about crooked toothedness.
    3rd round was a bit about Phil.
    He got to fly a bit under the radar for the most part.
    There is no way you could have been bored on Sunday. I kept waiting for the inevitable Phil choke, but it never happened. He still played aggressively with the lead and was able to pull it off.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    It was a bit weird how Mickleson was a bit of a back burner story last week.
    1st round was all about Tiger playing well and the old guys on the leaderboard, meanwhile Phil was at -5 and 1 shot back.
    2nd round was still pretty Tigered up, and a bit about crooked toothedness.
    3rd round was a bit about Phil.
    He got to fly a bit under the radar for the most part.
    There is no way you could have been bored on Sunday. I kept waiting for the inevitable Phil choke, but it never happened. He still played aggressively with the lead and was able to pull it off.
    Honestly, with all the talk of breast cancer, I couldn't bring myself to root for a Mickelson meltdown. The first 3 rounds were awesome. There just wasn't much drama Sunday. Last years Masters was a million times better.

All I'm saying is that Tiger vs. anyone on the planet would have been interesting (ex. YE Yang). Phil is only interesting if he is with someone interesting.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I disagree. I thought this year's Masters may have been my favorite of all time. Admittedly, I was moving during last year's Masters, and I watched almost every minute of coverage this year.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

This year's Masters was one of my favorites as well. TP, I don't think you're being true to your name here. You're being more like The Entertainment Tonight Purist, which is far from pure.

Maybe you need to return to your roots.
    GR lives...

First of all, Phil did not start with the lead, he took the lead and held on, but didn't run away with it. How is that boring? He missed fairways, had to make exceptional recovery shots, and could have blown that lead with any given swing. I thought it was exciting.
    As far as star power goes, he's no Boo Weekley, but he has a very likeable public image. He had a rep for being a phony, but I personally think he just has a polished public persona for the media, and I don't really fault him for that. It's pretty smart, actually.
    I don't talk to Grandma like I talk to my drinking buddies, I don't think that makes me a phony.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

The only things I'd be critical of is Arnie's swing and all the attention given to Hissy Fit Eldrick. Actually, Palmer's swing looks better than it did when he was a pro.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    He had a rep for being a phony, but I personally think he just has a polished public persona for the media, and I don't really fault him for that. It's pretty smart, actually.
    I don't talk to Grandma like I talk to my drinking buddies, I don't think that makes me a phony.
    Thats the whole point. Phil didn't come off as phony or cocky as normal. I miss the old Phil.

If Tiger starts acting like Brandt Snedeker, I'm gonna be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Mickelson plays a pretty exciting game of golf, but I don't really enjoy watching him unless someone with a little personality is challenging him.

Westwood vs. Mickelson had to be a ratings killer. On paper you would think the cancer story line and Phil's go for it style of play would be interesting, but it just wasn't. I was bored on Sunday. I was praying for Tiger to make a run, but I could tell he didn't have his sheet together. Big letdown. It could have been so much better if someone like Rickie Fowler, Poulter, AK, Tiger, or Bubba was in serious contention.

The Master's might have been unwatchable without Tiger's rollercoaster-like round in the mix.

Mickelson was much more interesting as the bad guy. He is utterly boring in the good guy roll. Mickelson needs to get off the diet and start letting that little cocky a-hole trapped inside him back out.
    That was one of the best Master's of all time. I've never seen so many exciting golf shots or a better leaderboard. Phil is a huge star in golf and now he's even bigger after that shot on 13. Part of the problem is that they show the entire 18 holes. By the time they get to 18 the entire TV viewing audience is tired of watching and it's antidramatic. The final two holes at Augusta aren't that exciting either. For whatever reason the coverage of the 17th hole is always terrible.

I'm with TP, I miss the old Phil. This year on the whole wsa the most exciting Masters in years, but I just seemed to feel a bit empty actually pulling for Phil for a change. It used to be much more fun sweating on a Phil choke job, which he provided more times than not, and were always more spectaclar than anyone elses. Phil's meltdowns made for magnificent theatre, and his wins simply can't live up to that.

I also agree that Phil is no Boo when it comes to personality, good guy or bad guy.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

We all know that it was one of best Masters we've seen in a long long time. Phil pulled off several miracle shots and he deserved to win. Tiger is only good for Tiger and Nike. I hated when he said " I am here to win"... Yeah right, all top ten players were there to be second?, but they don't make a self-center statement like that... I am glad to see that Tiger did not win, most of us are... I wanted to see my son Freddy win, but he came up short, but still an incredible performance for a 50-yr old guys with a miserable back... AK did make a run but also come up short,,, He will get his green jacket, any doubt???

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I'm with TP, I miss the old Phil. This year on the whole wsa the most exciting Masters in years, but I just seemed to feel a bit empty actually pulling for Phil for a change. It used to be much more fun sweating on a Phil choke job, which he provided more times than not, and were always more spectaclar than anyone elses. Phil's meltdowns made for magnificent theatre, and his wins simply can't live up to that.

I also agree that Phil is no Boo when it comes to personality, good guy or bad guy.
    I was really hoping Boo would break through after his masterful performance in the Ryder Cup. Now there's someone that everyone but stuffy country club types could pull for.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker

Some people go to a car race to see cars crash and burn. Others to see how the guys drive the cars. In Texas, they go for the food. After eating the nachos, they take the box home and do their cooking in it for a couple of weeks. The old, runny cheese reminds them of Thanksgiving.

Accept that Phil and Eldrick have traded roles. Phil's tougher than the field, rises to the occasion, overcomes adversity and has the best game out there. Tiger's a phony who crashes and burns.
    GR lives...

Thread Information