|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

percentage of today's golfers maintain a handicap!

Twenty-one percent of all golfers maintain a handicap. The average handicap (among those who maintain one) is 15 for men, 23 for women, and 16 overall.

Thank you for this brilliant statistic, Johndavid. Where is your link to the crappy counterfeit online golf store?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Johndavid
    Twenty-one percent of all golfers maintain a handicap. The average handicap (among those who maintain one) is 15 for men, 23 for women, and 16 overall.
    How could anyone possibly know what percentage carry a handicap? Be gone with you.

Over the long haul, statistically fewer than 10% of all male golfers in the USA break 100 with any regularity. 15 sounds a couple of strokes shy of reality. Maybe in Sweden where the government limits course play to those who can actually play, or, North Korea where the male golfing population is limited to the Premier, who has had several thousand holes-in-one, and his immediate circle of intimate friends and relatives.

So 80% of amateurs don't care about golf enough to join a men's club and pay the annual dues necessary to maintain a handicap index. Do they shoot lower scores than those who have done that?-- not likely.

Pretty sad implications for the ability of most golfers.

Larry

It's pretty easy these days to get a handicap. You can join an online service here in northern california and it costs $65 for two years.

Like its really expensive to join the club so you can maintain a handicap. It costs me $20 US per season at my local municipal dog track home course. Real freakin' budget buster. Of course when you are a member, every other member can log in and check out your scores.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    Over the long haul, statistically fewer than 10% of all male golfers in the USA break 100 with any regularity. 15 sounds a couple of strokes shy of reality. Maybe in Sweden where the government limits course play to those who can actually play, or, North Korea where the male golfing population is limited to the Premier, who has had several thousand holes-in-one, and his immediate circle of intimate friends and relatives.
    Well, I'm part Swedish and very regular. No Korean, but have 2 hole in ones. What percentage is that Larry?
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I assume these are American figures. If you consider that Larry had a 6 handicap at one point it may account for why the average seems so low, vanity caps.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

I thought the average was more like 18-20
    ...I just found this....
    According to the USGA, the average handicap of the American golfer is 16.1 for men and 29.2 for women. These numbers have remained largely the same over the last 15 years despite significant technology advances with equipment. Perhaps we will see a difference in the future by addressing the way the body moves in the golf swing.
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    I thought the average was more like 18-20
    ...I just found this....
    According to the USGA, the average handicap of the American golfer is 16.1 for men and 29.2 for women. These numbers have remained largely the same over the last 15 years despite significant technology advances with equipment. Perhaps we will see a difference in the future by addressing the way the body moves in the golf swing.
    Correct. More slow motion drills will be the key to lowering those averages.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Mt' Kidd, Kananaskis - Can't beat the mountain setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    So 80% of amateurs don't care about golf enough to join a men's club and pay the annual dues necessary to maintain a handicap index. Do they shoot lower scores than those who have done that?-- not likely.

Larry
    I'm not a member at a private or even semi-private club. I play at the municipal and public courses for the most part. I play 70 rounds a season mostly just walk on as a single so I meet a lot of golfers. I'm a 13 which is not good by any imagination but I beat about 95% of those I walk on with. The average person golfing the public courses are lucky to break 100.
    To say the average golfer's handicap is 16 is wrong in my opinion.

These figures must be based on geographic location. In California I'd say 60% of people playing can break 90 with regularity. 80% can break 100 consistently. Heck most people I've seen could shoot 110-120 the first time they picked up a club. If you've been playing golf for more than a year or two and play with any amount of regularity, there is no reason not to be breaking 100 consistently. I'm sure if you play the absolute cheapest tracks you'll find crappier players.

As for indexes, I stopped renewing my men's club membership two years ago. I know a lot of other really good players that are in the same boat. I thought I'd play in some tournaments but they were frequently in the middle of the week and I wasn't going to maintain an index just to play in crappy charity scrambles! The good tournaments like most of the Amateur tours are too pricey for the average golfer to attend with any amount of consistency. I play between 80-100 rounds a year and could care less about maintaining an official index. I know where I stand based on years of keeping one and don't need a card to carry in my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    These figures must be based on geographic location. In California I'd say 60% of people playing can break 90 with regularity. 80% can break 100 consistently. Heck most people I've seen could shoot 110-120 the first time they picked up a club. If you've been playing golf for more than a year or two and play with any amount of regularity, there is no reason not to be breaking 100 consistently. I'm sure if you play the absolute cheapest tracks you'll find crappier players.

As for indexes, I stopped renewing my men's club membership two years ago. I know a lot of other really good players that are in the same boat. I thought I'd play in some tournaments but they were frequently in the middle of the week and I wasn't going to maintain an index just to play in crappy charity scrambles! The good tournaments like most of the Amateur tours are too pricey for the average golfer to attend with any amount of consistency. I play between 80-100 rounds a year and could care less about maintaining an official index. I know where I stand based on years of keeping one and don't need a card to carry in my wallet.
    No problem! As long as you are OK with playing in any tournament as SCRATCH, zero handicap. For we who have a handicap, you are like someone coming over from Las Vegas, supposedly a 10, but 'just lucky" today as he hits all the fairways and greens.

So lets be honest. There are plenty of decent tournaments at public courses here in Southern California and everywhere. You need not be a member of a private club. However, It is NOT expensive to play in golf leagues that play tournaments on courses like Torrey Pines, Red Hawk, Carlton Oaks, etc.

I suspect you would score in the middle or lower in such tournaments--and unless you've been playing Championship courses, you might be very embarassed.

The only way we get good at playing in competition-- is to play in tough competition. You are rusty.

Larry

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)

You don't keep a handicap, Larry; not a real one anyway.

Larry's handicap page

Or are you seriously going to tell us you've only played one round of golf since October of last year?
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1.....[B
    In California I'd say 60% of people playing can break 90 with regularity.[/B].....
    Absolute bollocks. I've never been to California, but I know there is nowhere on the planet where 60% of golfers could break 90 regularly. I've been playing for 30 years so I've seen a few golfers, and I can say that from observations of my playing partners over the years, I would be surprised if 20% of them could break 90 on a par 72 course more than once every 5 rounds. Where do you pull these stats from SDB1?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    You don't keep a handicap, Larry; not a real one anyway.

Larry's handicap page

Or are you seriously going to tell us you've only played one round of golf since October of last year?
    So a 17.3 marker can only break 90 twice out of 20 rounds. Larry I'd say that even 17 is a vanity cap for you.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    So a 17.3 marker can only break 90 twice out of 20 rounds. Larry I'd say that even 17 is a vanity cap for you.
    I am just completing a series of lessons and drills wherein I completely rebuilt my swing. It worked. I shot low 80 most recent rounds. I may have posted one of those--sometimes the SCGA computer is not obvious or between the last green and the bar... Now that my swing has stabilized, I will resume posting scores-- AND playing in tournaments. My handicap will drop like a rock--

See ya out there.

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 04-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Absolute bollocks. I've never been to California, but I know there is nowhere on the planet where 60% of golfers could break 90 regularly. I've been playing for 30 years so I've seen a few golfers, and I can say that from observations of my playing partners over the years, I would be surprised if 20% of them could break 90 on a par 72 course more than once every 5 rounds. Where do you pull these stats from SDB1?
    Right on. Ask any teaching pro. Your assumption is correct because only a tiny tiny fraction of amateurs make the transition weight shift in their swing. That means that MOST (actually 99% according to TPI) retain significant weight on their back foot at impact as they fail to lead their downswing with the "post" move. That means they bring the clubhead to the ball from the outside-- pushed out there by their hip that failed to clear. They swipe across it from outside-to-in and slice or pull-hook-- unless they can time a quick closure of the clubface to compensate--which is erratic at best. So they seldom hit a fairway and never hit a GIR. That is 100+ golf.

Larry

No problem! As long as you are OK with playing in any tournament as SCRATCH, zero handicap. For we who have a handicap, you are like someone coming over from Las Vegas, supposedly a 10, but 'just lucky" today as he hits all the fairways and greens.

So lets be honest. There are plenty of decent tournaments at public courses here in Southern California and everywhere. You need not be a member of a private club. However, It is NOT expensive to play in golf leagues that play tournaments on courses like Torrey Pines, Red Hawk, Carlton Oaks, etc.

I suspect you would score in the middle or lower in such tournaments--and unless you've been playing Championship courses, you might be very embarassed.

The only way we get good at playing in competition-- is to play in tough competition. You are rusty.

Larry
    I've lived in Southern California several times, always in the Long Beach area, and I have found that public golf is very affordable. I used to play El Dorado, Skylinks and Recreation Park on the weekends and I'd pay about $24 for 18 holes. It may have gone up since then (2003). The best thing about those courses are the bermuda fairways. The ball sits up on the fairway almost as if it's on a tee. Easiest fairways I've ever hit off of.

I am just completing a series of lessons and drills wherein I completely rebuilt my swing. It worked. I shot low 80 most recent rounds. I may have posted one of those--sometimes the SCGA computer is not obvious or between the last green and the bar... Now that my swing has stabilized, I will resume posting scores-- AND playing in tournaments. My handicap will drop like a rock--
    Bull.

The only thing that will make your handicap "drop like a rock" is creative scorekeeping.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I've lived in Southern California several times, always in the Long Beach area, and I have found that public golf is very affordable. I used to play El Dorado, Skylinks and Recreation Park on the weekends and I'd pay about $24 for 18 holes. It may have gone up since then (2003). The best thing about those courses are the bermuda fairways. The ball sits up on the fairway almost as if it's on a tee. Easiest fairways I've ever hit off of.
    Yep, Bermuda fairways are great. Bermuda rough is not great, however, it grabs your clubhead. When they let it get up around 3" the ONLY club to get out with is SW and then only 50 yards or so. Only a fool tries to get distance from such rough (Mickelson).

Serious amateurs who don't want to join a CC can always join golf leagues. Pay only for each tournament played--in the $60 range. They usually arrange their tournaments far in advance and get great deals on really good public courses--such as Redhawk and Carlton Oaks--cost less than you could walk on Saturday morning. They usually play strict USGA rules--exchange scorecards and play every ball "down" in Summer. A score with them is very very honest.

I shot 77 last year at Redhawk from the blues in a Golf League tournament. I got 3 "closest to the pin" and won all the "skins," several hundred $$. But it was "recovery" golf. That day I was magic with my wedges. I was just lucky. Next tournament with them at Carlton Oaks I shot 90+, it was awful. I was embarassed.

Later I saw my swing on video and understood my OTT swing would always make me hit it sideways-- so I started the present series of lessons--requiring a complete rebuild of my swing, different grip, different stance, MUCH different backswing. Now I actually turn...

Larry

Yep, Bermuda fairways are great. Bermuda rough is not great, however, it grabs your clubhead. When they let it get up around 3" the ONLY club to get out with is SW and then only 50 yards or so. Only a fool tries to get distance from such rough (Mickelson).

Serious amateurs who don't want to join a CC can always join golf leagues. Pay only for each tournament played--in the $60 range. They usually arrange their tournaments far in advance and get great deals on really good public courses--such as Redhawk and Carlton Oaks--cost less than you could walk on Saturday morning. They usually play strict USGA rules--exchange scorecards and play every ball "down" in Summer. A score with them is very very honest.

I shot 77 last year at Redhawk from the blues in a Golf League tournament. I got 3 "closest to the pin" and won all the "skins," several hundred $$. But it was "recovery" golf. That day I was magic with my wedges. I was just lucky. Next tournament with them at Carlton Oaks I shot 90+, it was awful. I was embarassed.

Later I saw my swing on video and understood my OTT swing would always make me hit it sideways-- so I started the present series of lessons--requiring a complete rebuild of my swing, different grip, different stance, MUCH different backswing. Now I actually turn...

Larry
    This isn't going to make Angrygbaker very happy.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I shot 77 last year at Redhawk from the blues in a Golf League tournament. ...
    Sorry, Larry, but no such score occurs on your handicap page.

No 77 anywhere.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    This isn't going to make Angrygbaker very happy.
    LOL

Complete ******** leaves me unmoved, sorry.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Larry
    Please point me in the direction of a Golf League in San Diego that charges less than normal greens fees for their events and isn't restricted to Seniors.

Long Beach is pretty urban. The golf in that area is tailored to lower income patrons so you have really easy tracks in bad shape that are overcrowded. These are the types of places that will attract all the beginner and lower skill players. In San Diego there are only 2-3 courses with regular rates under $35 and 95% aren't under $65. The cheaper ones are glorified goat tracks and the pace of play is frequently 5 1/2+ hours.

Have you played Skylinks since they re-did the greens and surrounds.? Pretty cool. Unless the people, area and dificulty are beneath you, Sklinks and Rec. Park are fun. They held regional CIF-s at Skylinks last year so obviously those people don't mind low class people or really easy courses.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Have you played Skylinks since they re-did the greens and surrounds.? Pretty cool. Unless the people, area and dificulty are beneath you, Sklinks and Rec. Park are fun. They held regional CIF-s at Skylinks last year so obviously those people don't mind low class people or really easy courses.
    I didn't say anything about low class people. I'm the first one that will jump on cheap golf but not at the expense of course conditions. It seems that everytime I try and go for the bargain I end up playing out of the dirt most of the round even in the middle of the fairway. It's not worth it. Skylinks seems to have upped their rates to $45. Still cheap by SoCal standards. I don't know if that will improve pace of play much though.

Right on. Ask any teaching pro. Your assumption is correct because only a tiny tiny fraction of amateurs make the transition weight shift in their swing. That means that MOST (actually 99% according to TPI) retain significant weight on their back foot at impact as they fail to lead their downswing with the "post" move. That means they bring the clubhead to the ball from the outside-- pushed out there by their hip that failed to clear. They swipe across it from outside-to-in and slice or pull-hook-- unless they can time a quick closure of the clubface to compensate--which is erratic at best. So they seldom hit a fairway and never hit a GIR. That is 100+ golf.

Larry
    You make it sound like 99% of amateurs have had their hamstring on their right leg cut, right at the bottom.

One thing I've gotta give you props for is your abitility to get through life without holding a grudge. You consistently show the ability to agree or disagree with the same person (often in the same thread), without your opinion being tainted by petty personal agendas.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 04-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.

You make it sound like 99% of amateurs have had their hamstring on their right leg cut, right at the bottom.

One thing I've gotta give you props for is your abitility to get through life without holding a grudge. You consistently show the ability to agree or disagree with the same person (often in the same thread), without your opinion being tainted by petty personal agendas.
    Larry is the patron saint of golfreview.

In fact, the painting below is a depiction of myself and Larry commiserating about the golf swing.

I am a simple boy compared to Larry, and I am honest in this regard.

Larry, your swing looks fantastic!

I kiss Larry's ring.

It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    Please point me in the direction of a Golf League in San Diego that charges less than normal greens fees for their events and isn't restricted to Seniors.
    Google them, they all have a very active web site.

Larry

You make it sound like 99% of amateurs have had their hamstring on their right leg cut, right at the bottom. .
    I don't notice or care about personalities on any DB.

Regarding the seemingly common inability of amateurs to make the weight shift between their turn back and their swing-- many teaching pros think the cause is some sort of phenomenon in their (our) brain. People will involuntarily decelerate when striking an object. Karate teachers have the student focus on something BEHIND what they want to strike. Most golfers can make a nice practice swing when no ball is down. So possibly golfers stay on their back foot when they strike a ball in an involuntary need to decelerate. Who knows? Hogan and many great champions said they do not actually "see" the ball on the ground. They accelerated through it by focusing instead on the path of the clubhead in a circle, etc.

I have heard teaching pros privately express their thanks for this phenomenon-- because the golf swing would be too easy for anyone to need instruction.

Jim Flick said: "the golf swing is 90% mental-- and the rest is in our head."

Larry

Regarding the seemingly common inability of amateurs to make the weight shift between their turn back and their swing-- many teaching pros think the cause is some sort of phenomenon in their (our) brain. People will involuntarily decelerate when striking an object. Karate teachers have the student focus on something BEHIND what they want to strike. Most golfers can make a nice practice swing when no ball is down. So possibly golfers stay on their back foot when they strike a ball in an involuntary need to decelerate. Who knows? Hogan and many great champions said they do not actually "see" the ball on the ground. They accelerated through it by focusing instead on the path of the clubhead in a circle, etc.

I have heard teaching pros privately express their thanks for this phenomenon-- because the golf swing would be too easy for anyone to need instruction.

Larry
    Larry - Almost everyone who regularily participates on this board has a handicap... We'll leave it up to the imagination of the reader what that handicap might be!
    Regulation Guy
    Not an Alias

Quote Originally Posted by Regulation Guy
    Larry - Almost everyone who regularily participates on this board has a handicap... We'll leave it up to the imagination of the reader what that handicap might be!
    The longer you participate in these boards, the more you notice that most if not all who finally "get it" lose interest in talking about it. They are long gone.

Really good golfers shut out all tips and hints and refuse to look at videos or pictures of golfers, even themselves. Hale Irwin is an example of that. When you can only get worse, why risk it? There are famous stories of great golfers who got a "hint" that ruined them completely. Jimmy Demeret is supposed to have seen a video of his swing shot from an angle, thought he was playing the ball too far back-- adjusted, and never recovered his great swing. Gene Littler refuses to look at golf magazines and really doesn't want to even discuss the golf swing. He says the whole thing can be written on one side of one sheet of paper. Worked for him!!!

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 04-09-2010 at 02:52 PM.

The longer you participate in these boards, the more you notice that most if not all who finally "get it" lose interest in talking about it.
    Which explains your excess of verbiage over the past years very well...
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    Which explains your excess of verbiage over the past years very well...
    LOL - very true!

But the fact that Famousdavis has only recently joined our forum seems to contradict Larry's theory?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Larry
    Larry, I played golf today, and almost broke 100. That whole pretending that the ball is not there is wonderful instruction.

One instructor once told me, "It is not a golf hit, it is a golf swing."

However, I am hurt by the fact that you do not care about me here on GR, and I am looking forward to an apology.

If I do not receive an apology, I will be severely grieved.

We are fellow handball players, wtf?

spank
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Care? We are all just a group of little squiggly lines on a white background. How can anyone "care" for anyone else?

But if you played handball, that sets you apart.

In fact I am working to slow my golf swing movement-- change my overall tempo to give myself more time to make the transition weight shift-- to finish the backswing and not rush into the downswing. Turn, SHIIFFFTTTT, turn. That works. Rushing into the downswing leaves me with too much weight still on my back foot-- and too little stretch of my torso muscles, the stretch that occurs when our hips lead our shoulders (the "X" factor). When I get it right I notice at least 30% more distance with no more effort. Once you feel it, it is addictive. I warmed up really well, did a few minutes of the "crossed arms" drill with a long shaft across my shoulders this morning on the range. That really gave me the feeling of my hip leading my downswing. I had it. Was just nailing 4is. Hope I can get it back and maintain it on the course tomorrow morning. Luckily I am playing with guys who understand and are also working on their golf swings. None of us want to make even one more poor swing.

Larry

Care? We are all just a group of little squiggly lines on a white background. How can anyone "care" for anyone else?

But if you played handball, that sets you apart.

In fact I am working to slow my golf swing movement-- change my overall tempo to give myself more time to make the transition weight shift-- to finish the backswing and not rush into the downswing. Turn, SHIIFFFTTTT, turn. That works. Rushing into the downswing leaves me with too much weight still on my back foot-- and too little stretch of my torso muscles, the stretch that occurs when our hips lead our shoulders (the "X" factor). When I get it right I notice at least 30% more distance with no more effort. Once you feel it, it is addictive. I warmed up really well, did a few minutes of the "crossed arms" drill with a long shaft across my shoulders this morning on the range. That really gave me the feeling of my hip leading my downswing. I had it. Was just nailing 4is. Hope I can get it back and maintain it on the course tomorrow morning. Luckily I am playing with guys who understand and are also working on their golf swings. None of us want to make even one more poor swing.

Larry
    First off, we are more than squiggly lines on here against a white background. We live and breathe and we care for one another here on GR, Larry. You hurt Brother Spank's feelings then you callously ditch the rest of us by calling us "squiggly lines." I am deeply hurt. If you don't take it back and start showing a little sensitivity around here, I will have to come down to Florida, or California, or wherever you are (Spank will find you for me) and kick your arse!

Secondly, we don't care a shite about your 547th swing change for this year! Try this swing for a change: pull your pants down until you are bare-arsed. Take a 5 iron and grip it by the club end. Now, swing the grip around until the blunt end of the handle is between your arse-cheeks, then with one forceful motion SHOVE IT UP YOUR ARSE!!

If you will be so sensitive as to apologize to everyone on this forum for your own callousness towards us and for your obvious selfishness of being addicted with your own golf swing and not concerned about anything else on this forum, all will be forgiven.

P.S. -- We would also like another pic or video that shows your sexy legs.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Who? What?

Larry

Yes, this larry guy seems like a douchebag.

Where is that HorseBalls guy?

What is a handicap. Is it an issue related to a retarded action during your attempt to make a good golf swing . Or is it an affliction seen in someones walk during the search for their ball every where on every hole except the fairway or any area close to the hole that golf is being played on. Please explain so I can understand a handicap. They get parking spots closer to the club house than the Club pro and club champ. Im gonna steal one of those blue window hangers for the convenience of good parking spots. although I prefer parking in the shade.

Who? What?

Larry
    I left him speechless. Larry is now my b!tch.

Larry, whenever you address me for now on, please address me as, "Daddy," and I promise not to come to Southern California to teach you some manners.

Also, all can be forgiven if you post another swing video of yourself wearing shorts . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DogBalls
    Yes, this larry guy seems like a douchebag.

Where is that HorseBalls guy?
    Welcome to the board, DogBalls.

I hope you become a frequent contributor, during those times when you're owner isn't licking you.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Larry, whenever you address me for now on, please address me as, "Daddy," and I promise not to come to Southern California to teach you some manners.

Also, all can be forgiven if you post another swing video of yourself wearing shorts . . . . .
    Don't let him off the hook that easily. Make him repost the Tai Chi video.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information