|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Well, It Finally Happened . . . .

Two days after the biggest embarrassment in my golfing career, I finally broke 80 scoring a 79 on one of the windiest days we have had all year here in Oklahoma. Want to hear something even more peculiar? I never had one birdie the entire match. It was just one of those days where I got up and down real well and never had one of those holes where I just exploded like I did a couple of days ago. I knew I was getting close to doing this lately, although Thursday's match threw it in doubt. Yesterday I golfed an 81 and really thought I was going to break 80 then, but lost it on the back nine of our home course. My home course is a par 71 and we play it from the tips.

It will be interesting to see if this breakthrough today will kind of break the ice and allow me to play with more confidence and score more in the 70s.

Well, I just wanted to get it posted, now I'm off to celebrate . . . . . .

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Two days after the biggest embarrassment in my golfing career, I finally broke 80 scoring a 79 on one of the windiest days we have had all year here in Oklahoma. Want to hear something even more peculiar? I never had one birdie the entire match. It was just one of those days where I got up and down real well and never had one of those holes where I just exploded like I did a couple of days ago. I knew I was getting close to doing this lately, although Thursday's match threw it in doubt. Yesterday I golfed an 81 and really thought I was going to break 80 then, but lost it on the back nine of our home course. My home course is a par 71 and we play it from the tips.

It will be interesting to see if this breakthrough today will kind of break the ice and allow me to play with more confidence and score more in the 70s.

Congrats Sooner! Must be a relief! I have yet do it. Ironicley though I almost did with FD's and I's match. Silly game.....
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz
    Congrats Sooner! Must be a relief! I have yet do it. Ironicley though I almost did with FD's and I's match. Silly game.....
    Thanks, Noshuz . . . .

I played my MP-52s today with the new Nippon 1150 shafts and hit them well, but I still do not like them as well as my MP-67s.

Wow, breaking 80 is a milestone, indeed!

I am as happy for you as I am unhappy with Larry right now.

Congratulations, wow. I am going to the range now.
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Thanks, Noshuz . . . .

I played my MP-52s today with the new Nippon 1150 shafts and hit them well, but I still do not like them as well as my MP-67s.
    So you improved with blades and broke 80 playing blades?

Nonsense.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Congrats dude!!
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Great job SBS... it's a great fêêêêêlllllllììììiggggggg

Thanks, Noshuz . . . .

Congrats sooner!! This game certainly provides plenty of highs and lows. Great to see experience the thrill of a big milestone and kudos for taking the knocks of the poor form against Dave like a man.
    How's your take on the nippons?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    So you improved with blades and broke 80 playing blades?

Nonsense.
    My scores and game got better after I started playing and practicing with the MP-52s (player's cavity back) and the MP-67s and 33s (blades). I can honestly say, Spank, that the blades made my game better. Now, if only I can bring that to match-play in front of the lights and cameras . . . . .

SoonerBS,

couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :-)) congrats to the big Okie.. now I gotta get my OWN game in that kind of shape..

nicely done.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    SoonerBS,

couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :-)) congrats to the big Okie.. now I gotta get my OWN game in that kind of shape..

nicely done.
    I owe a lot of my score today to the fact that I was "licking nipples" chipping and pitching the ball with the Niblick within tap in distance. I chipped in from 15 yards off the green on one par 3 with it. The more I use this club, the better my short game seems to get. It also helped that I was controlling the driver a lot better, too . . . . .

Good stuff Sooner, just when i was thinkin the mizzy gff was only a theory i am now trollin' e-bay again for that next set!!!!
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Congrats sooner!! This game certainly provides plenty of highs and lows. Great to see experience the thrill of a big milestone and kudos for taking the knocks of the poor form against Dave like a man.
    How's your take on the nippons?
    The Nippons do exactly as they were advertised to do. They have a higher ball flight, but have a feel similar to the DG when swinging. I've also noticed a bit more distance with them on good hits. They are a great shaft, OP, but I don't get the feel I get with the 67s combined with the DGs.

Congratulations!

It took me another year after I broke 80 to start doing it consistently. Breaking 90 was much easier to do consistently than breaking 80. The year I shot my first round in the 70s I only did it twice.

At a certain point you hit a wall and the only way to break through is to play a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Good stuff Sooner, just when i was thinkin the mizzy gff was only a theory i am now trollin' e-bay again for that next set!!!!
    The Mizzies gave me the feedback, and still do, that I needed to learn more about my game. That doesn't mean they are going to do the same for everyone, and not everyone needs feedback to improve, but it helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    Congratulations!

It took me another year after I broke 80 to start doing it consistently. Breaking 90 was much easier to do consistently than breaking 80. The year I shot my first round in the 70s I only did it twice.

At a certain point you hit a wall and the only way to break through is to play a lot.
    I hit that "wall" you are talking about with trying to break 80 as it took me around 2 years after I got down to consistently golfing in the 80s.

I'm trying to decide where to go with my next goal. I know it gets harder to drop lower once you get into this level, but I want to set a high goal, but one that can be achievable. Here's a couple of considerations:

1.) Three rounds in a row in the 70s.

2.) A round in the lower 70s (75 or less).

3.) Break par.

Which do you think should be my next goal?

I hit that "wall" you are talking about with trying to break 80 as it took me around 2 years after I got down to consistently golfing in the 80s.

I'm trying to decide where to go with my next goal. I know it gets harder to drop lower once you get into this level, but I want to set a high goal, but one that can be achievable. Here's a couple of considerations:

3.) Break par.

Your next goal is to kick Dave's ass next time!

/end thread

3.) Break par.

The order you have them listed is the order of difficulty with #1 being the easiest. I go in spurts where I can break 80 for a few months straight and then I either stop playing as much or I get some issue with my swing and have to figure it out. In that period I'll go low every few rounds and I've only broken par a few times so that is definitely the hardest.

I like to play a different course every week. That seems to really help my game. It's pretty easy to play well if you play the same course all the time. The times I've broken par are when I played the course the day before.

3.) Break par.

I disagree with SBD1 about shooting 3 in a row in the 70's being the easiest. It is quite tough to back up a good round, let alone shoot 3 in a row. For one thing the task gets mentally tougher as you go along. Imagine being in contention to do that in the third round with nine to play. It's not an easy task. I shoot in the 70's regularly and from my experience good rounds just happen. Of course you do the work and strive to improve, but you never know when the payoff is coming. Patience is a great virtue in golf. Really bad rounds also come out of the blue.
    IMO your next goal should be to shoot 75 or better. That is the most realistic next target. Actually 77 would be a good goal but obviously you want to set the bar high. The most likely way you are going to achieve this is by getting a sharp short game. Work on getting up and down, and making those putts for par that are gettable. Practicing ballstiking almost comes second. Good luck!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    The order you have them listed is the order of difficulty with #1 being the easiest. I go in spurts where I can break 80 for a few months straight and then I either stop playing as much or I get some issue with my swing and have to figure it out. In that period I'll go low every few rounds and I've only broken par a few times so that is definitely the hardest.

I like to play a different course every week. That seems to really help my game. It's pretty easy to play well if you play the same course all the time. The times I've broken par are when I played the course the day before.
    This is very true. I like to play other courses because they are always better maintained than my home course, but for some reason, I struggle on other courses. This really should not be the case because like I said -- most of them are in better condition than my home course, so they should be easier to hit off of. I think my problem is a "head" thing.

Spank, (or are we to call you Spam now), you are correct . . . . . . I need to beat Big Dave next time we meet up. It will be difficult because he will be playing more this Summer and will get better himself. I am just going to have to get better . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I disagree with SBD1 about shooting 3 in a row in the 70's being the easiest. It is quite tough to back up a good round, let alone shoot 3 in a row. For one thing the task gets mentally tougher as you go along. Imagine being in contention to do that in the third round with nine to play. It's not an easy task. I shoot in the 70's regularly and from my experience good rounds just happen. Of course you do the work and strive to improve, but you never know when the payoff is coming. Patience is a great virtue in golf. Really bad rounds also come out of the blue.
    IMO your next goal should be to shoot 75 or better. That is the most realistic next target. Actually 77 would be a good goal but obviously you want to set the bar high. The most likely way you are going to achieve this is by getting a sharp short game. Work on getting up and down, and making those putts for par that are gettable. Practicing ballstiking almost comes second. Good luck!
    I think you are right. My next goal is to hit a 75 or better . . . . . putting is something I can ALWAYS improve on though it's getting better.

Sooner

Congratulations, breaking 80 is a great achievement.

Heres a thought, you shot a 97 with blades and come back with a 79 using CB (we can argue about players CB etc) irons. Mmmmmm does that tell us anything or shall we write it off to coincidence.

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey
    Sooner

Heres a thought, you shot a 97 with blades and come back with a 79 using CB (we can argue about players CB etc) irons. Mmmmmm does that tell us anything or shall we write it off to coincidence.

Edgey
    Blades to you are akin to sunlight, a cross, garlic, and mirrors...

Don't let the fear destroy you.

Not all of us can be men.

spank

Blades to you are akin to sunlight, a cross, garlic, and mirrors...

Don't let the fear destroy you.

Not all of us can be men.

spank
    Coincidence it is then..........

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

The Mizzies gave me the feedback, and still do, that I needed to learn more about my game. That doesn't mean they are going to do the same for everyone, and not everyone needs feedback to improve, but it helped me.
    Understand and agree. Do you think seeing your swing on video has helped as well?
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Congrats Sooner on the milestone!

I kinda disagree with with OP and SDB1....and it may be just my mentality, but I would strive to break par....if you set your goals to the most difficult task, you'll be more than likely to achieve at least one or both of the others along the way.

To me, it boggles the mind when I see people on long putts strive for a good lag putt.

Every stroke on the green should be an attempt to get the ball...indacup.

Yesterday, I played in a foursome where one of the players was HAPPY he got his ball within the imaginary 4 foot circle.

3.) Break par.

I vote for #2. Trying to break 80 three consecutive rounds will mess up your head, even if you are successful. From then on, any 80+ will seem like failure. When I used to break 80 half the time I was playing 2-4 times per week at the private club I belonged to and most of the rounds involved playing for some sort of money and were all match play or skins. My best rounds were all those in which I scrambled like a demon with 7-9 up and downs and some long range putts to save pars with few birdies. The most birdies I ever had in a stroke play member-guest tournament round where I shot 76 with 6 birdies. My guest shot a 67 which was a tournament course record. We were 8 under gross. Played, of course, with blades. Take it one hole at a time and only look back after the 18 holes are totalled on your card.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    Congrats Sooner on the milestone!

I kinda disagree with with OP and SDB1....and it may be just my mentality, but I would strive to break par....if you set your goals to the most difficult task, you'll be more than likely to achieve at least one or both of the others along the way.

To me, it boggles the mind when I see people on long putts strive for a good lag putt.

Every stroke on the green should be an attempt to get the ball...indacup.

Yesterday, I played in a foursome where one of the players was HAPPY he got his ball within the imaginary 4 foot circle.
    I think you're always going to try and shoot as low as possible and going for everything can sometimes work out well. It really depends on the person. People that tend to go all out all the time are usually winning or missing cuts. People that play it safe usually don't miss cuts but they don't win as often either. It's a trade off.

Some of the best shots I've ever seen we're actually mistakes when trying to play safe if you ask the person later and some of the best putts I've seen happened when guys were trying to lag. Even in my own game I've found that I pull off far better putts when trying to lag(on long putts). If I'm trying to sink long putts I get tense and lagging frees me up to make a nice stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy
    Understand and agree. Do you think seeing your swing on video has helped as well?
    Yes, I have worked 3 long sessions on the range since the competition trying to keep from allowing my hands to cross the top and get out of alignment at the top of my backswing. I also have been working on stance, alignment and tempo.

Sooner

Edgey
    Edgey, the only reason I have been playing the 52s is because they have the new Nippon 1150 shafts in them and I have been trying to test them out a little. I don't hit them any better or worse than the 67s. However, I get better feel with the 67s than I do the 52s and that's why I like playing them better.

Truth be known, I think the Niblick has been the most instrumental in helping the score cross the line lately because I have had less chunks and thins trying to pitch and putt with my wedges.

Also, I have been hitting the two new hybrids very well for the most part and they have given my game more versatility.

Sooner

Edgey
    Have you ever heard this......

"Golf is a game played mostly on a 5" course located between the ears".

A person should play with the equipment that gives him or her the most confidence. CB's, blades, garden tools, whatever.

Your constant blathering about blades vs. CB's and who should play what is getting old. The fact that it's about the only thing you go on about is a pretty clear indication that you really have a simpleton's understanding of the game and have no concept of the many other dynamics involved.

Please STFU.

Thanks.
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x

The best way far a mid 80s player to become a low 70s player is to practice putting and chipping.

If you can chip well, you take some pressure off your approach shots. **

If you can putt well, you take some pressure off your chip shots. **

This assumes you have good course management skills. **

You may play well on your home course because through trial and error, you have learned good course management there.

Congratz on the milestone!!

** All these things make help you beat that 5" course between your ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Have you ever heard this......

"Golf is a game played mostly on a 5" course located between the ears".

A person should play with the equipment that gives him or her the most confidence. CB's, blades, garden tools, whatever.

Your constant blathering about blades vs. CB's and who should play what is getting old. The fact that it's about the only thing you go on about is a pretty clear indication that you really have a simpleton's understanding of the game and have no concept of the many other dynamics involved.

Please STFU.

Thanks.
    F uck off, c unt

Hope that helps

Edgey

F uck off, c unt

Hope that helps

Edgey
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Who got his feelings hurt and is acting like a 12 year old?

LOL

Does it make you feel better to use bad words and call people names?

Grow up.

Fecking baby
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x

My scores and game got better after I started playing and practicing with the MP-52s (player's cavity back) and the MP-67s and 33s (blades). I can honestly say, Spank, that the blades made my game better. Now, if only I can bring that to match-play in front of the lights and cameras . . . . .
    I don't think the MP-52's were intended to be the players cavity back for Mizuno. After all, they have the MP-62 as well as the MP-57 that are both less game improvement looking than the MP-52. I think the MP-52 is more for the intermediate player that wants the feel of forged. Sooner, why don't you go in between and try the MP-62 (much more of a players cavity than the MP-52).

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I don't think the MP-52's were intended to be the players cavity back for Mizuno. After all, they have the MP-62 as well as the MP-57 that are both less game improvement looking than the MP-52. I think the MP-52 is more for the intermediate player that wants the feel of forged. Sooner, why don't you go in between and try the MP-62 (much more of a players cavity than the MP-52).
    MP-52 were just Sooner's first foray into GFF and coming from a GI shovel background he would have believed all the hype and thought that he wasn't good enough for blades. I'm sure Sooner loved the MP-52's when he first played them but then he decided to take the plunge and try the blades MP-33/67's and decided he liked those even better.

I had a similar experience with the MP-60's. I tried them and didn't really think they were that great. Fairly unforgiving on mishits and nothing special on pure strikes. Then later I tried the MP-30/33 combo set and loved em from the get go. I decided to give the MP-60 another go and tried an MP-60 6 iron in a side by side test with the MP-33 six iron and far preferred the MP-33. The difference in forgiveness was almost NIL but the difference in feel was significant in favour of the MP-33.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Congratulations Sooner.

Great comeback after your disappointing round with Dave and great to finally get the monkey off your back!

Now you can get some more matchplay experience and go back and kick Dave's butt in the return/revenge match. Next time I also expect you to study up a bit harder on the BPC Matchplay Tactics thread.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Great work Sooner, now you have that gigantic monkey off your back you can relax and start concentrating on playing golf. I think the pressure of breaking 80 has been a major obstacle to your development, but now you've done it you should just concentrate on getting out there and playing as well as you can regardless of score. It's good to have goals, but don't make them obsessions like you did breaking 80. I'd bet there have been umpteen times when you have been playing well enough to go mid 70s but have fallen apart on the back nine under the crippling pressure of trying for a milestone round. Now you don't have to worry about it I think you wll find that low to mid 80s becomes your standard round, and sub 80 will come a more frequently, particularly as you managed to shoot 79 without any birdies. Usually Ineed to shot multiple birdies to shoot sub 80 on long courses.

One thing that I noticed is that you chipped in from off the green on a par 3. It's funny how to break milestones sometimes all it needs is for a bit of luck to go your way. I bet over the previous ow 80 rounds you can pinpoint lot's of holes were you got real bad breaks or putts that should have gone in but missed.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Kiwi is correct, so you can read his thread and find the answer about why I bought them. I have used them the last couple of days out for two reasons:

1.) I wanted to try out the new shafts I put in them -- Nippon 1150 Stiff shafts.

2.) We have had some rain and the wider sole on the 52s works better in softer conditions than the narrower sole on the 67s.

FD, the 52s were my first foray into Mizuno's MP line. I wanted to try some harder clubs to try and hone my swing after the shovels were not doing it for me. It worked. It was really hard for the first couple of months, but I practiced a lot and developed a swing to fit the clubs. This led me to purchasing the 67s and 33s which have really brought my game along and made me better. Before I bought the 52s, I was golfing consistently in the high 80s to low 90s.

For what it's worth Sooner, I don't think it was a coincidence you shot your lowest score withthe MP52s. Nippon makes awesome shafts, and I think they would be a better fit for the MP52s. Blades with S30s will definitely give you better feedback and make you a better player, but the forgiveness of the MP52s will sve you shots during a round by not punishing you as severely. And as the MP52 are GFF you will stil get pure feel and enough performance to play all the shots. I think the GFF blades have improved your swing and hence your scores to some degree, but it could also be argue that with the MP52s your scores would have come down anyway as you have been playing and practising so much.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Great work Sooner, now you have that gigantic monkey off your back you can relax and start concentrating on playing golf. I think the pressure of breaking 80 has been a major obstacle to your development, but now you've done it you should just concentrate on getting out there and playing as well as you can regardless of score. It's good to have goals, but don't make them obsessions like you did breaking 80. I'd bet there have been umpteen times when you have been playing well enough to go mid 70s but have fallen apart on the back nine under the crippling pressure of trying for a milestone round. Now you don't have to worry about it I think you wll find that low to mid 80s becomes your standard round, and sub 80 will come a more frequently, particularly as you managed to shoot 79 without any birdies. Usually Ineed to shot multiple birdies to shoot sub 80 on long courses.

One thing that I noticed is that you chipped in from off the green on a par 3. It's funny how to break milestones sometimes all it needs is for a bit of luck to go your way. I bet over the previous ow 80 rounds you can pinpoint lot's of holes were you got real bad breaks or putts that should have gone in but missed.
    NaH, if it were not for the 20-30 mile constant winds we were having yesterday (backside of a storm system that came through), I might have very well golfed even lower. Everyone in our two teams of 5 was golfing poorly except about three of us. I read the wind correctly on everything but my putting. The wind was pushing the balls on the green, but it seemed like the times I tried to factor the wind into my putts (mostly on the birdie putts), the wind would not push it as normal. It was strange day. I don't think I ever received any favors from the wind, but I just tried to keep my head and shots solid through the entire round and it payed off.

As a side not, NaH, I am buying a new shaft for my Mizuno MX 700 driver. I have been doing really well with some regular shafts in my hybrid clubs and 4 wood, so I would like to try one in my driver. I have narrowed my search down to these shafts on ebay:

1.) UST Proforce V2 -- I have this shaft in my 4 wood and REALLY like it, but a regular has been hard to find on ebay with the payment options I am seeking. (Paypal has screwed me out of $500.00 and I will not use them again). I am awaiting a message back from the owner of this shaft.

2.) Graphite Design YS 7+ -- don't know much about this shaft, but Graphite Design is a great shaft usually and I like the 70+ grams for a shaft.

3.) Graphite Design YS 6+ -- same thing as above.

NaH, they have several GD Pershing shafts in a regular flex available on ebay and I was wondering what you think of your own you have been playing. I like a mid flex point and a mid ball flight on my drives.

For what it's worth Sooner, I don't think it was a coincidence you shot your lowest score withthe MP52s. Nippon makes awesome shafts, and I think they would be a better fit for the MP52s. Blades with S30s will definitely give you better feedback and make you a better player, but the forgiveness of the MP52s will sve you shots during a round by not punishing you as severely. And as the MP52 are GFF you will stil get pure feel and enough performance to play all the shots. I think the GFF blades have improved your swing and hence your scores to some degree, but it could also be argue that with the MP52s your scores would have come down anyway as you have been playing and practising so much.
    I know Indacup will be salivating with this post, but I would like to get some Nippons for my 67s before the year is out. I hate to do it now because I just put new grips on the DGs and spine aligned them for the 67s. I will be playing these clubs back and forth and monitoring the results to see what is best, but I still like the feel of the 67s better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Who got his feelings hurt and is acting like a 12 year old?

LOL

Does it make you feel better to use bad words and call people names?

Grow up.

Fecking baby
    Not people, just you.

I enjoy the freedom of speech GR offers, including blades v cavities flames or just calling self important, know it alls like you a c unt.

Have you thought about going to shottalk. They love know it alls like you.

I am such a baby LOL

Edgey

Not people, just you.

I enjoy the freedom of speech GR offers, including blades v cavities flames or just calling self important, know it alls like you a c unt.

Have you thought about going to shottalk. They love know it alls like you.

I am such a baby LOL

Edgey
    @sshole, Jeff and I were here 12 years ago when your retarded ass was still learning to ride in a tricycle jackass.

Who the fuk do you think you are b!tch?

Jeff is my best friend here and your b!tch ass thinks you can own him? You are saying you can own me?

Fuk you!

It is on now edgey you little retard... I now have a new enemy; a new ass hole at the top of my sh!tlist!

Edgey, I cannot believe you betrayed my trust like this.

I cannot believe it.

So now you have two enemies Edgey: Jeff and me, and everyone who like Jeff.

spank

p.s. Bring it on jackass.

@sshole, Jeff and I were here 12 years ago when your retarded ass was still learning to ride in a tricycle jackass.

Who the fuk do you think you are b!tch?

Jeff is my best friend here and your b!tch ass thinks you can own him? You are saying you can own me?

Fuk you!

It is on now edgey you little retard... I now have a new enemy; a new ass hole at the top of my sh!tlist!

Edgey, I cannot believe you betrayed my trust like this.

I cannot believe it.

So now you have two enemies Edgey: Jeff and me, and everyone who like Jeff.

spank

p.s. Bring it on jackass.
    What, Jeff is such a little biatch that he cant look after himself.

Has Jeff run to you for help

Leave this between me and Jeff, i suspect he is more than capable of mixing it with anyone here. You make it look like he is a bit of a wuss

Edgey

What, Jeff is such a little biatch that he cant look after himself.

Has Jeff run to you for help

Leave this between me and Jeff, i suspect he is more than capable of mixing it with anyone here. You make it look like he is a bit of a wuss

Edgey
    ok.

You make a good point Edgey and we are friends. You make a really good point; I am sorry to interfere with your affairs.

Jeff can handle his own.

I apologize for my rudeness, Edgey.

Have a good night, or morning,

spank

NaH, if it were not for the 20-30 mile constant winds we were having yesterday (backside of a storm system that came through), I might have very well golfed even lower. Everyone in our two teams of 5 was golfing poorly except about three of us. I read the wind correctly on everything but my putting. The wind was pushing the balls on the green, but it seemed like the times I tried to factor the wind into my putts (mostly on the birdie putts), the wind would not push it as normal. It was strange day. I don't think I ever received any favors from the wind, but I just tried to keep my head and shots solid through the entire round and it payed off.

As a side not, NaH, I am buying a new shaft for my Mizuno MX 700 driver. I have been doing really well with some regular shafts in my hybrid clubs and 4 wood, so I would like to try one in my driver. I have narrowed my search down to these shafts on ebay:

1.) UST Proforce V2 -- I have this shaft in my 4 wood and REALLY like it, but a regular has been hard to find on ebay with the payment options I am seeking. (Paypal has screwed me out of $500.00 and I will not use them again). I am awaiting a message back from the owner of this shaft.

2.) Graphite Design YS 7+ -- don't know much about this shaft, but Graphite Design is a great shaft usually and I like the 70+ grams for a shaft.

3.) Graphite Design YS 6+ -- same thing as above.

NaH, they have several GD Pershing shafts in a regular flex available on ebay and I was wondering what you think of your own you have been playing. I like a mid flex point and a mid ball flight on my drives.
    I really like the Pershing, I have the 75S in the driver I have been using for the last 12 months or so til it dropped out for an extended trial of the Launcher 460, which also has a GD shaft, the Purple Ice. I think you will like the Pershing 75. The Pershing is a solid shaft with a mid flex point and defiitely not high ball flight compared to other shafts, probably a mid flight. I would put the Pershing in the same sort of category as the V2, VS Proto and old Graf Blue as being a more solid shaft that plays stiffer to rating than most shafts out there, and is more suitable to guys who really like to load the shaft. I've never had a YS 7 but had a YS 6 in an old driver and the Pershing is like chalk and cheese compared to the whippy YS 6. As I said I have the Stiff but i would think the R would suit your needs. If you are dropping back from stiff to reg I think it is wise to go for a heavier, stiffer to rating shaft like a Pershing or the V2 you are looking at. You should be able to pick up a Pershing for a steal, and a bonus for the Pershing IMO is that they are a beautiful looking shaft. I know that looks aren't the biggest deal but I must admit I prefer looking at the understated irredescent silver writing on black shaft with the silver block near the top of the Pershing to the solid Purple with white writing of the Purple Ice. For some reason the Pershing to me looks like a real aftermarket shaft comared with the over the top birghtly oloured shafts out there. I probably won't mess with them though, if the Launcher goes well I can live with a purple shaft.

I think you are right. My next goal is to hit a 75 or better . . . . . putting is something I can ALWAYS improve on though it's getting better.
    I agree that a round in the mid 70's in going to be easier than 3 in a row breaking 80. When I first broke 80, it was my lowest score ever by a good 3 strokes. When I first shot 75, my previous best was 78. It can happen out of the blue. I'm sure you can look back at your 79 and find at least 4 shots you threw away.
    Breaking par is a difficult thing for 18. I broke par on 9 a good dozen times before I broke par for 18, and that's only happened twice.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I agree that a round in the mid 70's in going to be easier than 3 in a row breaking 80. When I first broke 80, it was my lowest score ever by a good 3 strokes. When I first shot 75, my previous best was 78. It can happen out of the blue. I'm sure you can look back at your 79 and find at least 4 shots you threw away.
    Breaking par is a difficult thing for 18. I broke par on 9 a good dozen times before I broke par for 18, and that's only happened twice.
    the lower your score gets, the more clear and agonizing each mistake becomes..

I STILL remember every single missed 4-footer in that 75 I shot SIX YEARS AGO. I missed five of 'em. AND I hit a stupid 9 iron sideways into the water on a short par 3 and took double.

SEVEN STROKES THROWN AWAY. and the final score was 75, +3.

I hate when that happens.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I've shot under par loads of times for nine holes, some times in 9 hole comps, but have yet to break par for 18 holes. The best chance I had was about 5 years ago when I cruised around the front 9 in 2 under par, but got held up waiting for social groups to hit off at the turn and got stuck behind them for the rest of the day and shot 5 over on the back. I might have collapsed anyway, but that day I really felt like I could have gone further under the way I was playing the front nine.

I've shot under par loads of times for nine holes, some times in 9 hole comps, but have yet to break par for 18 holes. The best chance I had was about 5 years ago when I cruised around the front 9 in 2 under par, but got held up waiting for social groups to hit off at the turn and got stuck behind them for the rest of the day and shot 5 over on the back. I might have collapsed anyway, but that day I really felt like I could have gone further under the way I was playing the front nine.
    It really is a mental block when you light up the front 9 to keep it going on the back. It's not like you can sit back and cruise after going -2 on the front and expect to go under par for the round. 1 over is a pretty great score for a 9, and it's never accomplished by trying to play safe and protect.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I know Indacup will be salivating with this post, but I would like to get some Nippons for my 67s before the year is out. I hate to do it now because I just put new grips on the DGs and spine aligned them for the 67s. I will be playing these clubs back and forth and monitoring the results to see what is best, but I still like the feel of the 67s better.
    Sooner

Good luck to ya. I have watched your video again and i want to apologise for ragging ya.

I hope you find what your looking for in golf and if it is blades, more power to your elbow.

Lots of love

Edgey

Play from the whites! Should be no problem!

It really is a mental block when you light up the front 9 to keep it going on the back. It's not like you can sit back and cruise after going -2 on the front and expect to go under par for the round. 1 over is a pretty great score for a 9, and it's never accomplished by trying to play safe and protect.
    This isn't something you can teach though. It's like most things in golf. You just have to keep putting yourself into that position until you feel comfortable. Having someone else keep your score is a good starting point.

I have always told anyone that has asked me how they can improve is to tighten up the short game. It can cut a LOT of strokes off your game if you can. There are different approaches to it of course. Me, I prefer to chip around the green with my 56.08. What I am used to from years of playing that way. I also zeroed my yardages with a gap, PW, 9, and 8 with like a 9 o'clock swing. That works pretty well too for me.

As I said, many ways to approach it but if the short game is tight, you can score.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    I have always told anyone that has asked me how they can improve is to tighten up the short game. It can cut a LOT of strokes off your game if you can. There are different approaches to it of course. Me, I prefer to chip around the green with my 56.08. What I am used to from years of playing that way. I also zeroed my yardages with a gap, PW, 9, and 8 with like a 9 o'clock swing. That works pretty well too for me.

As I said, many ways to approach it but if the short game is tight, you can score.
    My weak area is 100 yards and in. Like I have pointed out in other posts, I have struggled with pitching, chipping and putting in my game over the last several years because I have a tendency to hit my wedges fat or sculled because I cannot take a full swing with them. I just haven't mastered it. Big Dave can attest to this as he saw me chunk 3 pitch shots back to back on the same hole and never reach the green. Any time I have to "take a little off" my full swing with the wedges it has bad results.

So, a month or so ago, I bought the Cleveland Niblick ( a glorified chipper). Since then, I have knocked some strokes off my score because you can't hit the ball fat with it. Also, it is easy to align and keep on line from 80 yards and in. All I have to do is work on "feel" of the yardage. I'm starting to get really good with this thing as I chipped 1 in Saturday and left several more chip and pitch shots within tap in distance of the hole. It's as ugly as sin, but it works for me currently. The better I get at judging distance with this club, the better my scores should get.

My putting has made great leaps in the last 6 months compared to what it was, but it could still get better. I am better judging distance on my putts now, I just have to get better at making them instead of leaving them close to the hole.

Sooner

Good luck to ya. I have watched your video again and i want to apologise for ragging ya.

I hope you find what your looking for in golf and if it is blades, more power to your elbow.

Lots of love

Edgey
    Could you lighten up on the "love" talk? It makes me feel all funny inside . . . . .

My weak area is 100 yards and in. Like I have pointed out in other posts, I have struggled with pitching, chipping and putting in my game over the last several years because I have a tendency to hit my wedges fat or sculled because I cannot take a full swing with them. I just haven't mastered it. Big Dave can attest to this as he saw me chunk 3 pitch shots back to back on the same hole and never reach the green. Any time I have to "take a little off" my full swing with the wedges it has bad results.

So, a month or so ago, I bought the Cleveland Niblick ( a glorified chipper). Since then, I have knocked some strokes off my score because you can't hit the ball fat with it. Also, it is easy to align and keep on line from 80 yards and in. All I have to do is work on "feel" of the yardage. I'm starting to get really good with this thing as I chipped 1 in Saturday and left several more chip and pitch shots within tap in distance of the hole. It's as ugly as sin, but it works for me currently. The better I get at judging distance with this club, the better my scores should get.

My putting has made great leaps in the last 6 months compared to what it was, but it could still get better. I am better judging distance on my putts now, I just have to get better at making them instead of leaving them close to the hole.
    Distance control is key when taking your game to the next level. The more you can leave yourself with a stock yardage on approach shots the better. Most people will have at least one club that they are super consistent with and that's the yardage you want to have on approaches in order to score.

One thing that has been key to my game is making sure I always have a putt. If you have tucked pins play to the safer side and try and work the ball back. If you hit it straight you'll still be putting. This usually takes big numbers out of play. There is nothing worse than being short sided all day. I'm far more confident sinking a longer putt than chipping in.

If you haven caught on by now you have to keep your head in the game. You need to plan your shots and account for the misses. The better your planning the better your chances of scoring. This is how pros go so low. They know before stepping up to the tee exactly what clubs they'll hit and to what yardages. Take advantage of par fives. If there is no chance of getting there in two don't hit driver off the tee. Break the hole up into three manageable shots and make your third shot a full wedge. Your second shot should be for position. Give yourself the best angle into the green. You won't always pull it off but you'll get yourself into good habits now and soon enough it will be second nature.

Congrat's Sooner. Nothing like knocking back one of your goals.

Personally I wouldn't suggest setting any new goals just yet. I would just ride the good feeling as long as you can. If you go lower great. If not, then another good round is no too far off. Once you break that glass ceiling it gets easier in the future.

Thread Information