|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Titleist AP2's....

I am thinking of ordering a set of them next week, does anyone on here own a set of AP2's, and if so what do you think of them?
    Feels just like it should.

I think they are too expensive for what you get. You might be better off getting a set of the Titleist 735. Great club.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Quote Originally Posted by The master
    I am thinking of ordering a set of them next week, does anyone on here own a set of AP2's, and if so what do you think of them?
    Motherfeckers are coming out of the woodwork now......

LOL

It's been a long time since I've seen you TM.

You grow a brain yet son?
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Alangbaker is Larryrsf's arch nemesis but he also owns a set of AP2's.

Alan how about it? Here's your big opportunity to respond to a non Larry thread.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I've owned and played AP2's. They are ok, pretty forgiving but lacked good feedback. Soft feeling to hit with the technology in them, but too dull and muted for my taste. I prefer a soft lively feel. My other critisism is I don't like the rounded edges on the head, especially the topline. Looked too GI to me. All in all a solid iron but not an outstanding one and only worth the money if you get them cheap.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by The master
    I've got a set: original AP2s with Project X shafts.

I love them. Up until recently, I had problems hitting the ball high enough on the face to get the ball flight I wanted and the AP2s have a centre of mass low enough that I now hit shots that are almost (almost!) too high.

So the only thing I'd say is that if you already hit your irons high, AP2s might not be for you.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    I've owned and played AP2's. They are ok, pretty forgiving but lacked good feedback. Soft feeling to hit with the technology in them, but too dull and muted for my taste. I prefer a soft lively feel. My other critisism is I don't like the rounded edges on the head, especially the topline. Looked too GI to me. All in all a solid iron but not an outstanding one and only worth the money if you get them cheap.
    This was my complaint with them but they are straight and high. If that's your game you can't go wrong with them.

Find irons that fit your swing tendencies!! If you are a digger, for example, you need a wider sole. If you are a sweeper or picker, you need a thin sole with less camber. I grew up on rock hard freaking courses so everyone learned to sweep the ball off the deck or you would lose teeth if you hit the hard ground.

So before you get rid of the shovels, figure out of the heads are even designed for your swing! If so, keep them and learn to play them. And, go get on the Mizuno Iron fitting system. It works with ANY OEM iron. See if your shaft is correct.

I think they are overpriced for what you get. If you want a set of Titty player CBs, I'd go for a second hand set of DCI 962s or 990s (never owned either but hit them plenty of times and perform much better than OPs appraisal of AP2). Much cheaper, stainless steel so should still be in perfect working order, and likely not made in a Chinese sweatshop by some stinking unskilled peasant like the AP2s (although not exactly sure when Titleist moved production off shore so the DCI may be Chinese made).
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Wow, the master is obviously battle weary and hardened for whatever reason.

He gets the information he needs, and skidaddles like a racoon on the run.

You can come back Master. We won't hurt you.
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I think they are overpriced for what you get. If you want a set of Titty player CBs, I'd go for a second hand set of DCI 962s or 990s (never owned either but hit them plenty of times and perform much better than OPs appraisal of AP2). Much cheaper, stainless steel so should still be in perfect working order, and likely not made in a Chinese sweatshop by some stinking unskilled peasant like the AP2s (although not exactly sure when Titleist moved production off shore so the DCI may be Chinese made).
    NAH, this is kind of scary how much we are thinking alike lately. I've played the Titleist 990 and it's one of the best clubs I've ever used. You can work the ball better with these than any club I've tried. They have a lower trajectory and great feel...almost forged-like.

The AP2s were awesome with the Project X shaft. They are average with the TT DG shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    The AP2s were awesome with the Project X shaft. They are average with the TT DG shaft.
    I think they are way too expensive for what you get.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    I think they are way too expensive for what you get.
    What I got was clubs that immediately (2 weeks, IIRC) let me shoot a personal best of 74...

...and that was worth it to me.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    What I got was clubs that immediately (2 weeks, IIRC) let me shoot a personal best of 74...

...and that was worth it to me.
    Well, then I'd say it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie
    Wow, the master is obviously battle weary and hardened for whatever reason.

He gets the information he needs, and skidaddles like a racoon on the run.

You can come back Master. We won't hurt you.
    Spank, what's happening, long time no speak?

I took the plunge and ordered the irons today, got them with project x 6.0 and 2 degrees flat.
    Feels just like it should.

NAH, this is kind of scary how much we are thinking alike lately. I've played the Titleist 990 and it's one of the best clubs I've ever used. You can work the ball better with these than any club I've tried. They have a lower trajectory and great feel...almost forged-like.
    I really like the 990s too. I found them to have plenty of feedback and not very forgiving, but flushed shots felt as pure as a blade. I'm not seriously looking but I've always got my ear to the ground for a set of 990s. Only problem is that you very rarely see a set for sale. I wasn't a fan of the 990B though, a little too hard to hit IMO.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    Oh c'mon......

ANY average club is awesome with Project X shafts.

SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

I think they are too expensive for what you get. You might be better off getting a set of the Titleist 735. Great club.
    I agree. I think the 735's are the best "players" irons ever.

I have been gaming the 735 since they came out. I have literally demo'd every iron that has come a long since, and none of the them have a better balance of feel, forgiveness and workability. The new Titleist irons specifically, none are as good. The AP's don't feel as good, and I don't think they are as workable. In fact, the only Titleist set I've used that I would even consider switching to, would be the 695mb. They feel slightly better, but are no where near as forgiving.

I'm going to demo the new Adams line next month...if I find nothing better in their new line...I'm just going try to make the 735's last for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    I agree. I think the 735's are the best "players" irons ever.

I have been gaming the 735 since they came out. I have literally demo'd every iron that has come a long since, and none of the them have a better balance of feel, forgiveness and workability. The new Titleist irons specifically, none are as good. The AP's don't feel as good, and I don't think they are as workable. In fact, the only Titleist set I've used that I would even consider switching to, would be the 695mb. They feel slightly better, but are no where near as forgiving.

I'm going to demo the new Adams line next month...if I find nothing better in their new line...I'm just going try to make the 735's last for as long as possible.
    Are they the forged stainless models like the 704s? If so making them last shouldn't be a problem. It's only soft forgings that wear out. Stainless forged shold last forever.

I have a golfing buddy that has the AP2s in a Project X shaft. In fact, he is strictly a Titty man in everything he bags and even the apparel he buys. Flat out sickening, really.

I think his AP2s are a lot like my MP-52s. Forged player's cavity back.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I have a golfing buddy that has the AP2s in a Project X shaft. In fact, he is strictly a Titty man in everything he bags and even the apparel he buys. Flat out sickening, really.

I think his AP2s are a lot like my MP-52s. Forged player's cavity back.
    They may look the same, but I'd bet your MP52s feel alot better than the AP2s. As I have said, the only Titties I would consider getting would be the DCI 962 or 990. Anything brought out since then are cheap crap. I think Titleist has dropped dramtically in quality the last few years (704, 755, AP2), though the new forged clubs seem to be a step in the right direction.

Thread Information