|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Freddy and driving distance.

What was with Couples and the length he was hitting it off the tee in the last round?
    I could only watch a replay (most of the round) but Freddy seemed to be bombing it off the tee. His drives on 8 an 9 I think were the longest of anybody. What's going on? How can a 50 year old with a bad back drive it past the likes of Tiger?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I don't know what it is about old guys and their drivers, but I can't tell you how many old farts I've played with that can hit a driver 250 yards, but need a 5wood to hit a 160 yard approach...It defies logic.

Freddy has always been a long hitter, and driver seems to be the last club to go for older guys.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    What was with Couples and the length he was hitting it off the tee in the last round?
    I could only watch a replay (most of the round) but Freddy seemed to be bombing it off the tee. His drives on 8 an 9 I think were the longest of anybody. What's going on? How can a 50 year old with a bad back drive it past the likes of Tiger?
    A couple of reasons:

1. Incredible talent as far as timing and club speed.
    2. He's always been one of the longest off the tee (Hence "boom boom")
    3. The best swing in golf
    4. If you've ever met him in person he's actually a fairly big guy. Large shoulders, long arms and big legs. He's listed at 5-11 but looks more like 6 feet in person.

He's one of the most talented people on tour. The guy doesn't even practice and he comes close to winning the Master's at 50. If the guy made more putts he'd win everything. That shot he hit into #2 was amazing and the swing was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    A couple of reasons:

1. Incredible talent as far as timing and club speed.
    2. He's always been one of the longest off the tee (Hence "boom boom")
    3. The best swing in golf
    4. If you've ever met him in person he's actually a fairly big guy. Large shoulders, long arms and big legs. He's listed at 5-11 but looks more like 6 feet in person. .

well I"m six foot four and he walked past me one year at the houston open, looked more like 5 foot 9.. NOT a big guy.. but he's build right, broad shoulders for effortless leverage... and the timing thing, of course...

His problem wasn't irons. His problem was he got to stabbing at putts.. and walking right up out of his stroke before impact.. he's got the yips off and on, that's why the big heavy belly putter.. but if he can stab at putts with THAT putter, imagine how a normal putter would look with his stroke... eek...

that standing up and walking out of the stroke before impact thing, that's ALL mental. He's not confident with the putter these days. The wedge is another story... he's been hitting it to three feet over and over out there on the senior tour, driver wedge to three feet, birdie, driver wedge to three feet, birdie, yada yada..

He had the game for Augusta, but the putter was a spaz point.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    well I"m six foot four and he walked past me one year at the houston open, looked more like 5 foot 9.. NOT a big guy.. but he's build right, broad shoulders for effortless leverage... and the timing thing, of course...

His problem wasn't irons. His problem was he got to stabbing at putts.. and walking right up out of his stroke before impact.. he's got the yips off and on, that's why the big heavy belly putter.. but if he can stab at putts with THAT putter, imagine how a normal putter would look with his stroke... eek...

that standing up and walking out of the stroke before impact thing, that's ALL mental. He's not confident with the putter these days. The wedge is another story... he's been hitting it to three feet over and over out there on the senior tour, driver wedge to three feet, birdie, driver wedge to three feet, birdie, yada yada..

He had the game for Augusta, but the putter was a spaz point.
    No, he's 5-11. Look at any photo of him next to other golfers and you can see that he is 5-11. Lots of Ryder Cup photos of him next to his team and you can see that he's quite a bit taller than the players known for being around 5 foot 9. He actually putted pretty well for most of the Master's tournament with the exception of the last day. Compared to any of us he's an expert putter.

I think he has been corking his driver, taking steroids and using too much pine tar past the grip . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I think he has been corking his driver, taking steroids and using too much pine tar past the grip . . . . .

Speaking of pine tar...never leave an open can of pine tar on your bedside table and mistake it for joy jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    I don't know what it is about old guys and their drivers, but I can't tell you how many old farts I've played with that can hit a driver 250 yards, but need a 5wood to hit a 160 yard approach...It defies logic.

Freddy has always been a long hitter, and driver seems to be the last club to go for older guys.
    There is plenty of history of the same phenomenon in older champions. Sam Snead and Ben Hogan kept their championship tee-to-green game into their 60s. But they both simply LOST their ability to make a smooth putting stroke. Sam won 80 tournments-- but later in life he became so pathetic with a putter that he nearly gave up. Then he changed styles and won a tournament putting croquet style. After the tour outlawed that, he putted "side saddle" for a while. There were no long putters then. Couples is just now approaching Hogan and Snead's age when they lost it.

I know lots of older amateurs who have made a whole new "career" of stab putting, just popping it instead of smoothly stroking. They punch the putter into the green as they hit the ball. Some of them are very good at that.

Getting old sucks! But it is always better than the alternative!!

Larry

Speaking of pine tar...never leave an open can of pine tar on your bedside table and mistake it for joy jelly.
    Or at least don't let the pine tar get too far up the shaft.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

No, he's 5-11. Look at any photo of him next to other golfers and you can see that he is 5-11. Lots of Ryder Cup photos of him next to his team and you can see that he's quite a bit taller than the players known for being around 5 foot 9. He actually putted pretty well for most of the Master's tournament with the exception of the last day. Compared to any of us he's an expert putter.
    ooh, good call FD... compared to any of us, Conan O'Brien is funny.

Compared to any of us, Larry Byrd is tall.

etc etc. :-)

compared to any of us, Tiger Woods is a diplomat and a gracious fellow.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

How did I know Larry was going to show up in this thread . . ?

ooh, good call FD... compared to any of us, Conan O'Brien is funny.

Compared to any of us, Larry Byrd is tall.

etc etc. :-)

compared to any of us, Tiger Woods is a diplomat and a gracious fellow.
    I sense sarcasm in your response. Fred Couples is not a bad putter. I'd be interested in seeing his putting stats compared to the rest of the Master's field. I'd be willing to bet they were better than most. You're right... comparing a pro to the rest of us is silly. Monty Python isn't funny no matter who you compare them to. You see, I think there are five levels of comedic understanding:

1. Level One: These are your yokels who don't get any humor other than farting, belching or three stooges.

2. Level Two: The followers. These are the people who think movies or comedians are funny based on other (supposedly smarter) people's opinions. Good examples of this are people who laugh hysterically at SNL no matter how bad the skit. They are a confused lot.

3. Level Three: The phony intellectuals: These people think Conan Obrien, Monty Python and Woody Allen are comic geniuses. They like Steve Martin. They want to appear intelligent and sophisticated so they gravitate toward this kind of humor. Deep down they can't stand it.

4. Level Four: The realists: They have enough self esteem to stand up to the itellectuals and tell them their movies suck. They like more basic humor like Chris Rock, Adam Sandler and Seth Rogin.

5. Level Five: The evolutionists: These people have surpassed both the intellectuals and the realists and are on a new level of comedic understanding. They realize that farting, belching and the Three Stooges are the purest and most funny forms of comedy. The difference between the evolutionists and yokels is self awareness.

I sense sarcasm in your response.

Perhaps it's more like irony. The point, and you appear to have missed it, is that WE KNOW FREDDY IS A GOOD PUTTER COMPARED TO US. :-) It wasn't necessary to assert this, as nobody was claiming otherwise. And the earnestness of your assertion was amusing also.

Fred Couples is not a bad putter. I'd be interested in seeing his putting stats compared to the rest of the Master's field. I'd be willing to bet they were better than most. You're right... comparing a pro to the rest of us is silly.

I'd be interested to see his Sunday back nine putting numbers against the Sunday back nine numbers of everyone who beat him. This would be the sensible comparison, not to the whole field, those who didn't make the cut, etc.

The rest of this is highly amusing and worthy. as I myself appreciate a finely tuned belch or fart, or even a combination thereof. I do not know if I am level one or level five, but I suspect not knowing makes me level one. Which is fine, as long as somebody belches and farts so I can laugh along.

1. Level One: These are your yokels who don't get any humor other than farting, belching or three stooges.

2. Level Two: The followers. These are the people who think movies or comedians are funny based on other (supposedly smarter) people's opinions. Good examples of this are people who laugh hysterically at SNL no matter how bad the skit. They are a confused lot.

3. Level Three: The phony intellectuals: These people think Conan Obrien, Monty Python and Woody Allen are comic geniuses. They like Steve Martin. They want to appear intelligent and sophisticated so they gravitate toward this kind of humor. Deep down they can't stand it.

4. Level Four: The realists: They have enough self esteem to stand up to the itellectuals and tell them their movies suck. They like more basic humor like Chris Rock, Adam Sandler and Seth Rogin.

5. Level Five: The evolutionists: These people have surpassed both the intellectuals and the realists and are on a new level of comedic understanding. They realize that farting, belching and the Three Stooges are the purest and most funny forms of comedy. The difference between the evolutionists and yokels is self awareness.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I like the three stooges, Monty Python and Adam Sandler, but I can't stand Chris Rock, Conan O'Brien and Woody Allen. Where does that put me?

I sense sarcasm in your response.

Perhaps it's more like irony. The point, and you appear to have missed it, is that WE KNOW FREDDY IS A GOOD PUTTER COMPARED TO US. :-) It wasn't necessary to assert this, as nobody was claiming otherwise. And the earnestness of your assertion was amusing also.

Fred Couples is not a bad putter. I'd be interested in seeing his putting stats compared to the rest of the Master's field. I'd be willing to bet they were better than most. You're right... comparing a pro to the rest of us is silly.

I'd be interested to see his Sunday back nine putting numbers against the Sunday back nine numbers of everyone who beat him. This would be the sensible comparison, not to the whole field, those who didn't make the cut, etc.

The rest of this is highly amusing and worthy. as I myself appreciate a finely tuned belch or fart, or even a combination thereof. I do not know if I am level one or level five, but I suspect not knowing makes me level one. Which is fine, as long as somebody belches and farts so I can laugh along.

Wow, if only I could be as smart and wholesome as you.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

In 1987 Freddie and a couple of other pros--Davis Love, David Frost, Nancy Lopez, Kathy Whitworth and another LPGAer played a pre-US Women's Open at a club near me. I sat on the grass and watched Freddy on the range mesmorized at his swing. He hit 7 irons the entire time to a 150 yard target. No more and no less than 150. I'm 6' and Freddy had about 2" on Fred Funk putting him around 5' 10". But his shoulders looked like those of an NFL safety and he rotated them at least 90 degrees on both back and forward swings with a tempo I had not seen before except maybe with Sam Snead when I was a kid. He looked like his pulse was running around 45, sort of like a 12 cylinder Ferrari idling at 500 rpm. By the way, Davis Love was by him 30-40 yards on every driver hole, both hitting persimmon.

I like the three stooges, Monty Python and Adam Sandler, but I can't stand Chris Rock, Conan O'Brien and Woody Allen. Where does that put me?
    That put's you in Oklahoma which is Level 5 funny to outsiders but only Level 1 funny to residents.
    GR lives...

I sense sarcasm in your response. Fred Couples is not a bad putter. I'd be interested in seeing his putting stats compared to the rest of the Master's field. I'd be willing to bet they were better than most. You're right... comparing a pro to the rest of us is silly. Monty Python isn't funny no matter who you compare them to. You see, I think there are five levels of comedic understanding:

With a little help from Dave, you could turn these concepts into a new religion. Good timing, church space in Sacto is a little soft right now.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    That put's you in Oklahoma which is Level 5 funny to outsiders but only Level 1 funny to residents.
    Thank you. I now feel a sense of peace knowing who and where I am . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    With a little help from Dave, you could turn these concepts into a new religion. Good timing, church space in Sacto is a little soft right now.
    well, if the new religion doesn't take off, I"m sure California state government will be happy to expand like The Blob into all the empty churches...
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Wow, if only I could be as smart and wholesome as you.
    I get that a lot. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

I get that a lot. :-)

I get the "Oh, I wish I was as endowed as you," all the time. It gets a little old after a while. I mean, why can't everyone just accept their small dicks and use them to their best abilities?

I get the "Oh, I wish I was as endowed as you," all the time. It gets a little old after a while. I mean, why can't everyone just accept their small dicks and use them to their best abilities?

Hmmm ... so who are these guys and how do they know all this Sooner?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Hmmm ... so who are these guys and how do they know all this Sooner?
    A serious and awful question, whose answer I am hoping never appears in this or any other thread.

Now I am REALLY worried about riding in the same cart with you. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    When Robin Williams is on a roll, its amazing. Pee Wee Herman is seriously funny, at least to my warped mentality. I saw this guy called Haywood Banks years ago, took my mom to the comedy club to see him, not one foul word, and he was great. I,m not a big fan of Foxworthy
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    When Robin Williams is on a roll, its amazing. Pee Wee Herman is seriously funny, at least to my warped mentality. I saw this guy called Haywood Banks years ago, took my mom to the comedy club to see him, not one foul word, and he was great. I,m not a big fan of Foxworthy

I use to watch "Pee Wee's Playhouse" every Saturday morning whenever I was a teenager. The innuendos in that "kiddie show" were some of the funniest bits.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist

Same thing to a lesser extent with the pros. When I see Zach Johnson hit his irons, he looks like he's taking a pretty healthy rip at the ball, but his distances (at least for short to mid irons) are less than mine. But then his driver goes way past mine. I don't think I'm getting everything I can out of the driver, because if I extrapolate distances, I should be hitting it much farther. Probably my crappy swing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I use to watch "Pee Wee's Playhouse" every Saturday morning whenever I was a teenager. The innuendos in that "kiddie show" were some of the funniest bits.
    What year was Pee Wee on TV?
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

What year was Pee Wee on TV?
    1986 to 1990 . . . .

1986 to 1990 . . . .
    Go to youtube type in, pee wee conan, I,m not smart enough to post links, if you havent seen one of the last few shows he did. The one with Pee Wee explaining the problem with NBC and Conan, Its classic Pee Wee
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    Go to youtube type in, pee wee conan, I,m not smart enough to post links, if you havent seen one of the last few shows he did. The one with Pee Wee explaining the problem with NBC and Conan, Its classic Pee Wee
    Pee Wee....cuming soon in a theatre near you.

He get's that right after the "have you seen a grown man naked?"

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    He get's that right after the "have you seen a grown man naked?"

We all know now who the inspiration was for this song...

"Don't look Ethel!!!!!"

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Pee Wee....cuming soon in a theatre near you.
    I had a little place in Mexico,some years ago, were all in, what we called the tv room. I had one of the older satelite dishes, almost 20 feet in diameter. Picked up alot of different stuff for being so far down in Mexico. Some guest are like do you get porn? Yeah sure! I just go to another satelite, bam. I think there were 3 of us watching em do the nasty, when I hear um oh oh um, and its not on the tv. I look in the area behind us, theres 2-3 mexicans sittin in the chairs, and 2-3 lookin through the screens, one of them is a part time worker, I see the nightwatchman chewing him out, and realize he had huge wet spot on the front of his shorts. WTF no self control little bas turd

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Same thing to a lesser extent with the pros. When I see Zach Johnson hit his irons, he looks like he's taking a pretty healthy rip at the ball, but his distances (at least for short to mid irons) are less than mine. But then his driver goes way past mine. I don't think I'm getting everything I can out of the driver, because if I extrapolate distances, I should be hitting it much farther. Probably my crappy swing.
    Don't forget that the pro's play on fairways that are smoother and faster than most of the greens amatuers play on. I would expect they get at least 20 extra yards from their fairways. I think if you played with him your best drives would be right up there or past Zach, but he would consitently be out to the same distances drive after drive, and in the fairway. I honestly think that the 2 main differences between pros and amatuers off less than 10 are:
    1. Short game. They have loads more talent and shots around the greens than us hackers and putt the spots off the ball compared to us
    2. Their bad shots are nearly as good as their good shots. Our best shots would be every bit as good as their best shots, but we don't hit as many of them and when we don't we usually suck, but the pros less than perfect shots are still ok, and they have a short game to clean up mistakes.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Don't forget that the pro's play on fairways that are smoother and faster than most of the greens amatuers play on. I would expect they get at least 20 extra yards from their fairways. I think if you played with him your best drives would be right up there or past Zach, but he would consitently be out to the same distances drive after drive, and in the fairway. I honestly think that the 2 main differences between pros and amatuers off less than 10 are:
    1. Short game. They have loads more talent and shots around the greens than us hackers and putt the spots off the ball compared to us
    2. Their bad shots are nearly as good as their good shots. Our best shots would be every bit as good as their best shots, but we don't hit as many of them and when we don't we usually suck, but the pros less than perfect shots are still ok, and they have a short game to clean up mistakes.

I agree completely. If the pros had to play some of my misses...

I think that's where the biggest separation in ability is - the overall quality of bad shots. What they do about once per tournament, we seem to pull off two or three times per round.

Big misses = big numbers.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Thread Information