|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Oldplayer . . .

Oldplayer . . .

A question: out of all the sets of clubs you have, do you have duplicate sets of the same club? The reason I ask is because if you find a set that you really like, and that you know has been a better set than all the others you have ever played, have you bought an extra set to avoid it being unavailable to you some day when one set wears out?

Out of the three sets I have (not counting the POS Taylormade R7s I have loaned to my brother) the 52s, 33s and 67s, I really like the 67s the best. But, they are out of production right now. I can still find several sets brand new, but eventually all I will ever be able to find is used sets whenever my current set gets worn down. Would you advise buying a new set soon, or am I worrying needlessly?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Hey Sooner. i wouldn't be too worried about picking up another set of 67's right now. they were a reasonably popular model and should still be readily available 2nd hand on ebay etc. for at least another 5 years. Added to that they will only get cheaper and in 2 or 3 years you can get a set for half what you pay now.
    To answer your first question. Yes I do have multiple sets of some of my favorites. But they are all sets that went out of production over ten years ago and are getting harder to find. I have picked up extra sets pretty cheaply to ensure having a good set to play. For example i have 3 sets of Maxfli A10 tours all with different shafts. DGS300, DGR300 and Rifle flighted 5.5. The set with S300 is mint and hardly been played. A set of these classics is hard to find now in mint condition. I have 2 sets of Macgregor miura forged PCB tours, one set new in the box. I also have 2 sets of Magregor VIP 1025m's, one to play and another in better condition to keep as they are one of my all time favorites. I also have 2 sets of Mizuno MP100's which are the 2006 limited edition anniverssary blades which are absolutely pure and both sets are new and unplayed. You would love those Sooner, even sweeter than 67's. I got 2 sets of those because they were being sold at a ridiculous low price and i believe they will go up in value in the future.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Hey Sooner. i wouldn't be too worried about picking up another set of 67's right now. they were a reasonably popular model and should still be readily available 2nd hand on ebay etc. for at least another 5 years. Added to that they will only get cheaper and in 2 or 3 years you can get a set for half what you pay now.
    To answer your first question. Yes I do have multiple sets of some of my favorites. But they are all sets that went out of production over ten years ago and are getting harder to find. I have picked up extra sets pretty cheaply to ensure having a good set to play. For example i have 3 sets of Maxfli A10 tours all with different shafts. DGS300, DGR300 and Rifle flighted 5.5. The set with S300 is mint and hardly been played. A set of these classics is hard to find now in mint condition. I have 2 sets of Macgregor miura forged PCB tours, one set new in the box. I also have 2 sets of Magregor VIP 1025m's, one to play and another in better condition to keep as they are one of my all time favorites. I also have 2 sets of Mizuno MP100's which are the 2006 limited edition anniverssary blades which are absolutely pure and both sets are new and unplayed. You would love those Sooner, even sweeter than 67's. I got 2 sets of those because they were being sold at a ridiculous low price and i believe they will go up in value in the future.
    I remember that MacGregor VIP 1025, sweet looking iron.. never hit one, never found one available for a practice swing, but the heads look marvelous..

I keep watching the price drop on those FG59 Wilson blades, gonna grab me a set soon even if I never play them.. same as the MP100, a representative classic model of the Wilson blades, deserves to be on a shelf.. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

[For example i have 3 sets of Maxfli A10 tours all with different shafts. DGS300, DGR300 and Rifle flighted 5.5. The set with S300 is mint and hardly been played. A set of these classics is hard to find now in mint condition. I have 2 sets of Macgregor miura forged PCB tours, one set new in the box. I also have 2 sets of Magregor VIP 1025m's]
    I heard that these 2 are good sets. Do they come with light wt steel shaft? What is the lightest wt of a steel shaft nowaday, my graphite shaft is 75g and I am comfortable with it

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I remember that MacGregor VIP 1025, sweet looking iron.. never hit one, never found one available for a practice swing, but the heads look marvelous..

I keep watching the price drop on those FG59 Wilson blades, gonna grab me a set soon even if I never play them.. same as the MP100, a representative classic model of the Wilson blades, deserves to be on a shelf.. :-)
    Gotta set of these too Dave. I won't play them. A beautiful collector blade, and very cheap for what they are. Not too many made either I think. Maybe 600?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    [For example i have 3 sets of Maxfli A10 tours all with different shafts. DGS300, DGR300 and Rifle flighted 5.5. The set with S300 is mint and hardly been played. A set of these classics is hard to find now in mint condition. I have 2 sets of Macgregor miura forged PCB tours, one set new in the box. I also have 2 sets of Magregor VIP 1025m's]
    I heard that these 2 are good sets. Do they come with light wt steel shaft? What is the lightest wt of a steel shaft nowaday, my graphite shaft is 75g and I am comfortable with it
    Yes, both top quality in my book. Made before the onslaught of inferior mass-produced Chinese models. MacGregor set out to build a top class iron with this model, no expense spared to re-establish themselves. They succeeded in my book. They are super soft and very easy to hit for a blade. Very old-school pretty as well. One of my all time favorites. Maxfli A10's are a combo set, blade in the 8,9 and pw. They are cast but made from nickel-chrome and are one of the best feeling irons ever. They have a worldwide following and I can certainly attest to their top quality design, finish and performance.
    Standard shafts on both were Dynamic golds but re-shafting is not too expensive. Both are .355 taper tip hosel bore. A shaft I have recently tried and liked very much is the True Temper TX 90. A 90 gram lightweight steel and not costly . A very good shaft for the money.

Thanks, OP, I'm going to look up some of these other club sets you have listed and see what they are running in price if they are still available . . . . .

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Yes, both top quality in my book. Made before the onslaught of inferior mass-produced Chinese models. MacGregor set out to build a top class iron with this model, no expense spared to re-establish themselves. They succeeded in my book. They are super soft and very easy to hit for a blade. Very old-school pretty as well. One of my all time favorites. Maxfli A10's are a combo set, blade in the 8,9 and pw. They are cast but made from nickel-chrome and are one of the best feeling irons ever. They have a worldwide following and I can certainly attest to their top quality design, finish and performance.
    Standard shafts on both were Dynamic golds but re-shafting is not too expensive. Both are .355 taper tip hosel bore. A shaft I have recently tried and liked very much is the True Temper TX 90. A 90 gram lightweight steel and not costly . A very good shaft for the money.
    OP, I think that 90-g iron shaft wt is still too heavy for me. My driver's SS is only about 88-90 mph... getteing , you know, just like you, Oldplayer

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins

I think the Wilson FG59 is the best looking blade I've ever seen.

Thread Information