Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • MX200

4 40.00%
  • MP52

6 60.00%

Thread: MX200 or MP52

MX200 or MP52

Low/Mid 80s shooter. Working on my swing alot. Getting better. Thoughts? MP52 will cost about $125 more (not an issue).
    Pros/Cons to each?

Update: Went to Golf Galaxy tonight 40 minutes prior to closing. Nobody in there. Went in the back and set up from the cart a 52 then a 200, with the Nippon 950 s flex shaft off the cart. Hit them both.

Just put nice easy swings on the ball with both - didnt really step on it.

Boy that 52 sure feels nice! lol

The 200 wasnt bad either though. Guess its just a personal preference. Finally the manager came back and watched me a little. He didnt offer much - said the obvious, 200 would be more forgiving but the 52 was a club that bridged the gi and player club.

He did say that he felt my swings were good enough for the 52.

Feck.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 05-01-2010 at 05:21 PM.

I never play or even consider either one, so I have no idea... but a few weeks ago at a private CC I saw a gentleman with a new set of MP-52, he told me that he struggled with them but when he hits it right on the screw it's very sweet... MP-52 looks very sexy IMO... at my age, I am happy with 87-92, so I don't want anything to screw up my game

MX 200s are a very nice looking set. I think they would be more forgiving and just as workable as the MP52. I honestly think that it would not be worht the extra cash for the MP52s.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

No buyers remorse here. They may be GI Shovels but not wide sole, super offset shovels
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Helmet, the MX200s are a game improvment iron and the MP-52s are a player's iron. I went from the Taylormade R7s to the MP-52s and struggled with them at first, but then I learned more about what was needed to swing the club properly and my game got better and my scores dropped. Personally, I would encourage you to get the 52s if you are planning on practicing your game. If not, then you probably need to get the 200s.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    Helmet, the MX200s are a game improvment iron and the MP-52s are a player's iron. I went from the Taylormade R7s to the MP-52s and struggled with them at first, but then I learned more about what was needed to swing the club properly and my game got better and my scores dropped. Personally, I would encourage you to get the 52s if you are planning on practicing your game. If not, then you probably need to get the 200s.
    You're right there Sooner. I don't practice anymore. I can't remember the last time I did......
    team obnoxious

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Here's a tidbit not many people know.......

"MX" stands for "Mizuno X-out"

"MP" stands for "Mizuno Playah"

The MX line is nothing but the rejects that didn't pass muster for the real golfers on the test team but are still purty enough for the hackers that want to look good and sport some GFF.

Y'all are privileged to be let in on that industry secret.

SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Here's a tidbit not many people know.......

"MX" stands for "Mizuno X-out"

"MP" stands for "Mizuno Playah"

The MX line is nothing but the rejects that didn't pass muster for the real golfers on the test team but are still purty enough for the hackers that want to look good and sport some GFF.

Y'all are privileged to be let in on that industry secret.
    I thought it stood for "More X-cited" when I brake 80......I need a better foot wedge......
    team obnoxious

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I always thought MX stood for MXtra special. And MP, for MPosers. Pick up a set of each, if moneys no huge obstacle. Casual rounds with the players club, or when your playing well. When you need all your crap picked up, play the GI shovel. I have a set each, myself.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I have to disagree, the MP-52 is not meant for the player. It's meant for people that shoot in the 80's but still want the feel of forged. The player's iron is the MP-57 or MP-62.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis[B
    ]I have to disagree, the MP-52 is not meant for the player. It's meant for people that shoot in the 80's but still want the feel of forged.[/B] The player's iron is the MP-57 or MP-62.
    Yes, I would expect that type of post from you because your the greatest ball striker of all time.

I, however, came from the low 100s and 90s to where I am now. I was golfing in the 90s for 5 years without hardly any improvement at all (my golf buddies can attest to this as they had to patiently put up with me). During the entire period I used game improvement irons. They never improved my game because I was not learning anything about my swing from a lack of feedback. Whenever I bought and started playing the MP-52s (and let's not forget that Mizuno list their irons in the MP line for a reason), I dropped my scores into the upper 80s in 3 months time. Granted, I practiced a lot to try and understand about what the proper swing was, but the 52s gave me the feedback I needed to learn this. Itwas 6 months later that I bought the 33s and 67s and dropped my score to where it is now in the lower 80s.

It's very hard for me to tell posters that GI clubs will be alright for them whenever I have discovered different results in my own game. But, then again, I am not satisfied with mediocrity where others are. That's ok though, to each his own.

Yes, I would expect that type of post from you because your the greatest ball striker of all time.

I, however, came from the low 100s and 90s to where I am now. I was golfing in the 90s for 5 years without hardly any improvement at all (my golf buddies can attest to this as they had to patiently put up with me). During the entire period I used game improvement irons. They never improved my game because I was not learning anything about my swing from a lack of feedback. Whenever I bought and started playing the MP-52s (and let's not forget that Mizuno list their irons in the MP line for a reason), I dropped my scores into the upper 80s in 3 months time. Granted, I practiced a lot to try and understand about what the proper swing was, but the 52s gave me the feedback I needed to learn this. Itwas 6 months later that I bought the 33s and 67s and dropped my score to where it is now in the lower 80s.

It's very hard for me to tell posters that GI clubs will be alright for them whenever I have discovered different results in my own game. But, then again, I am not satisfied with mediocrity where others are. That's ok though, to each his own.
    Sooner, I didn't post my comments about the MP-52 to put you down. I have tried the MP-52 and I don't think it was meant to be a "player's club". The MP-62 is the cavity back made by Mizuno that was meant to be a "players club". It came out at the same time as the MP-52. Why would they come out with both of these cavity back models if they are both intended for the "player".

I have quoted from an article from a golf magazine:

"But the MP-52s are not intended for the blade set, they are intended to attract those mid handicappers who have always felt that previous MP models were not forgiving enough for them. They are aimed at those who have played player's clubs in the past, but now want a little more forgiveness".

The MP-52 was designed with that cut-out at the bottom to provide more forgiveness and a higher launch angle. I've tried it and you can tell that it doesn't feel as good as a regular forged cavity.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    Sooner, I didn't post my comments about the MP-52 to put you down. I have tried the MP-52 and I don't think it was meant to be a "player's club". The MP-62 is the cavity back made by Mizuno that was meant to be a "players club". It came out at the same time as the MP-52. Why would they come out with both of these cavity back models if they are both intended for the "player".

I have quoted from an article from a golf magazine:

"But the MP-52s are not intended for the blade set, they are intended to attract those mid handicappers who have always felt that previous MP models were not forgiving enough for them. They are aimed at those who have played player's clubs in the past, but now want a little more forgiveness".

The MP-52 was designed with that cut-out at the bottom to provide more forgiveness and a higher launch angle. I've tried it and you can tell that it doesn't feel as good as a regular forged cavity.
    Maybe it's not a full on players CB but it's still a much nicer stick than most GI clubs. I would call it a good transition club between a players CB like the MP-58/62 and a game improvement iron like the MX-200.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

When I bought my clubs, I had narrowed it down to the exact same dilemma. After getting fitted and it was time to pull the trigger, I was going through a phase of bad ballstriking and I couldn't justify gettin the 52s so I went with the 200s. Judging by your scores, you could handle the 52s just fine. (I'm a 90s chopper) You might want to consider the new MX 300s, they are a little more on the players side of GI than the 200s (a little less offset)
    It's been over a year and I still love my 200s.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    When I bought my clubs, I had narrowed it down to the exact same dilemma. After getting fitted and it was time to pull the trigger, I was going through a phase of bad ballstriking and I couldn't justify gettin the 52s so I went with the 200s. Judging by your scores, you could handle the 52s just fine. (I'm a 90s chopper) You might want to consider the new MX 300s, they are a little more on the players side of GI than the 200s (a little less offset)

300 has no lefty! lol

I just called back to Golf Galaxy and spoke to the pro there who gave me some lessons 2 or 3 years ago when I was really struggling. He remembered me by name (scary). I ran down my delimma and went thru everything with him. He just suggested I come in for a fitting with both and that we could go from there. But when I told him my scoring range and some details about my game - he said either a full set of 52s or if I was plain scared of that I could get a couple long irons in the 200 and complete the set with 52s.....

Mizuno has a shaft optimizer thing as well that can (I guess) tell you some shafts that work best for your swing , etc....then they can fit the shafts on each head and start taking some swings....

Im still entertaining all opinions and thoughts on the matter...thank you for yours!

I tried the MX-300 on the range and I thought it was a great club. I like it a lot better than the MX-200 because the head appears smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    - he said either a full set of 52s or if I was plain scared of that I could get a couple long irons in the 200 and complete the set with 52s....
    !
    That's a damn fine idea. I love the long irons of the 200s. The short irons have a little too much offset and I over-draw them often. (boderline hooks) Hell, I might just have to look into getting the 52 short irons.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

I tried the MX-300 on the range and I thought it was a great club. I like it a lot better than the MX-200 because the head appears smaller.
    As soon as I saw the 300s I thought to myself, "damn, I wish they came out last year when I was buying, they seem like the perfect set for me."
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

As soon as I saw the 300s I thought to myself, "damn, I wish they came out last year when I was buying, they seem like the perfect set for me."
    All I could say was "$899, are you smokin' dope?".

Trade in! Trade up!

Only $849 after they give you a top dollar $$$ trade in on your PING Eye 2's.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Only $849 after they give you a top dollar $$$ trade in on your PING Eye 2's.
    You need to keep up, I now bag the Ping S59 irons. A true player's club with a soft yet crisp feel with a penetrating trajectory. A perfect design for a man of my intellect and ability.

You need to keep up, I now bag the Ping S59 irons. A true player's club with a soft yet crisp feel with a penetrating trajectory. A perfect design for a man of my intellect and ability.
    Only $809 after they give you a top dollar $$$ trade in on your PING S59 irons.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Only $809 after they give you a top dollar $$$ trade in on your PING S59 irons.
    That's more than you'd get for those MP-30's. Ping S59 is devine. MP-30 is not worthy.

New clubs are pricey, no doubt. My problem is that all my clubs are +3/4" so I rarely can find stuff used that I wouldn't have to reshaft.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

New clubs are pricey, no doubt. My problem is that all my clubs are +3/4" so I rarely can find stuff used that I wouldn't have to reshaft.
    I don't mind adding extensions and regripping. Most of the clubs need new grips anyway, so I just buy them regular sized, add an extension, and then regrip. I've never had any problems doing this . . . .

I don't mind adding extensions and regripping. Most of the clubs need new grips anyway, so I just buy them regular sized, add an extension, and then regrip. I've never had any problems doing this . . . .
    Does it change the flex of the shaft any?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW

If anything it would make them more flexible but I doubt 3/4 inch would make any difference when adding it to the butt end of the shaft. That's just my expert opinion.

I don't think so, not that I have noticed anyway. I'd like to hear Indacup or Jeff's opinion on it though . . . .

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    If anything it would make them more flexible but I doubt 3/4 inch would make any difference when adding it to the butt end of the shaft. That's just my expert opinion.
    Agreed.

Extensions up to an inch or even an inch and a half at the butt end won't make a noticeable difference in how the club plays.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Agreed.

Extensions up to an inch or even an inch and a half at the butt end won't make a noticeable difference in how the club plays.
    I have been fitted to play a shaft 1" longer than normal. So, if I buy a set off Ebay, I usually have to extend them an inch or buy all knew shafts.

Thread Information