|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

How Many of You Wear a Golf Glove?

I haven't been wearing any gloves except in the Winter time sometimes whenever my hands are cold. But, lately, I have developed some callouses that are a bit painful whenever I go to grip the golf club (I have either been practicing or playing every day for the past 2 weeks). The callouses are on my left hand, so I ordered some gloves for my left hand tonight.

Do you guys wear a glove? If so, what brand do you find the best?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I do.

Wilson because I get them cheap. Go through 2-3 a year.

Start masturbating with your right hand.

Glad I could help.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Yep. I wear a glove.

As a lefty, I naturally wear a glove on my right hand.

I take what I can find. Usually get several at a time when I find a good deal.

There was a glove called the "Spyder" (by Foot Joy IIRC) out about 6-7 years ago that was awesome. Of course that caused them to discontinue it.
    SMT 455db 9* - Accuflex VS339 X
    Sonartec SS-03 - TT DG S400
    KZG Forged Blades 3-PW - Rifle Project X 7.0
    KZG Forged Raw 52*, 56*, 60* - Rifle Spinner 6.5
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x
    Cash for the beer cart and a quarter to mark my ball

I've always worn a glove and find the Footjoy "softjoys" are the best for me. I'm so used to it now it feels very strange without one. I only use them on full shots though. Half shots, chips, putts and bunker shots, in other words all feel shots I don't wear one.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Hi Soon

Footjoy Weathersof GTX for me. I of course wear it on the correct hand

Edgey
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Mee too. I prefer the Footjoy Sci-flex.

I can't play without golf glove... I buy all brands, high quality and cheap when on sales

Yes I always wear a glove on my left hand, usually Footjoy but have used Wilson. Taylormade and Callaway in the past too.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I have worn a glove for so long, I don't know what it would be like to hit full shots w/o one. I usually just leave it on for the whole round, but sometimes take it off for putting.

when you play right handed (as I do), the glove goes on the left hand.

which, for a lefty like me, is the masturbation hand too. Lucky thing I gave that up after my first woman in 1977, else I'd have to install a new decade multi compound down there (oversize, of course). The two sided tape can be a bit difficult.
    Last edited by daveperkins; 05-02-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I have worn a glove for so long, I don't know what it would be like to hit full shots w/o one. I usually just leave it on for the whole round, but sometimes take it off for putting.

when you play right handed, the glove goes on the left hand.

which, for a lefty like me, is the masturbation hand too. Lucky thing I gave that up after my first woman in 1977, else I'd have to install a new decade multi compound down there (oversize, of course). The two sided tape can be a bit difficult.
    My game is at such a heightened level that I need to specail order my gloves from a tanner in Mongolia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Yep. I wear a glove.

As a lefty, I naturally wear a glove on my right hand.

I take what I can find. Usually get several at a time when I find a good deal.

There was a glove called the "Spyder" (by Foot Joy IIRC) out about 6-7 years ago that was awesome. Of course that caused them to discontinue it.
    I think I remmeber having one of them. Thing just wouldn't wear out, I had it for ages but ended up losing it before it wore out. Probably the reason they stopped making them.

I like the Mizono tech flex. Another long wearing glove which feels nice and handles sweat better than most other gloves.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I have always worn a glove but when I was a kid, I used my father's old leather ones and would always develop blisters. Later on, I still got blisters but not so badly because I learned to buy them in the property size. My glove revelation came when the local range started selling gloves made from synthetic materials. They were half the price of the leather gloves, gave me no blisters, and lasted me ten times the use of the leather ones. I wear a glove for all shots. The necessity of taking off the glove to improve putting feel is a myth fostered by the mass mimmicing of tour pros and it would speed the average game to just leave it on.

You can't practice or play every day and not wear a glove. I've used just about every glove out there and can honestly say that there are certain Callaway gloves that last the longest. I go through one or two gloves a month(mostly because I play cords). My most recent is an Adidas that I purchased a week ago, The index finger has split already. Had the same problem with some of the Nike gloves. Anytime they use that spandex type material instead of leather they split.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis
    My game is at such a heightened level that I need to specail order my gloves from a tanner in Mongolia.
    FD, you're so wonderfully full of poop! Duncha ever change!....
    Speaking of poop, that reminds me of my golf game lately. Oh well, it's windy. Time to go sailin'......
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

i've been playing for about 8/9 years and rugby was always my first sport so i never spent a whole lot of time hitting balls on the range and might have played twice a week . last year i took it up more seriously and bought a set of mp33 with cords and playing a couple of times a week and just had to start wearing a glove because my hands were in bits . i'm using the softjoy ,lasts about 4/5 weeks with me playin multi compounds bout 5 times a week !
    titleist 907D2 grafalloy pro-launch x
    taylormade burner tp 13*
    cleveland launcher 18*
    taylormade tp mb 3-pw project x 6.0
    titleist spin milled 54 + 58
    odyssey black series 2

"all men die , not all men really live "

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    My brother in law, was married to a cun't that made him wear a glove. Over the course of 10 years.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS
    I haven't been wearing any gloves except in the Winter time sometimes whenever my hands are cold. But, lately, I have developed some callouses that are a bit painful whenever I go to grip the golf club (I have either been practicing or playing every day for the past 2 weeks). The callouses are on my left hand, so I ordered some gloves for my left hand tonight.

I wear a glove to play full shots and play chips and putts without it.

Since I tend to sweat a lot, I take it off between shots and now putting the glove on is a part of my pre-shot routine. Until I put the glove on, I'm not even thinking about my shot, and when it's my turn to play, I pull it on and get to it.

I've never found any one brand to be much better than any other. I like pure cabretta, but it's not an obsession. It just has to fit very well.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by shoeinc
    i've been playing for about 8/9 years and rugby was always my first sport so i never spent a whole lot of time hitting balls on the range and might have played twice a week . last year i took it up more seriously and bought a set of mp33 with cords and playing a couple of times a week and just had to start wearing a glove because my hands were in bits . i'm using the softjoy ,lasts about 4/5 weeks with me playin multi compounds bout 5 times a week !
    This may be the reason the grips have been so rough on my hands lately. I love the grips that have half-cord in them and multi compounds. They have great traction, but they also work on the callouses . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss
    Mee too. I prefer the Footjoy Sci-flex.
    Sci-flex is the best glove available today IMO.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

I'm with mongrel. Hell put it on and leave it on.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

When I was playing or hitting 4 times a week, I didn't need a glove. My hands just had permanent callouses. Now, that I am only getting in about 9 holes a week, I have to wear a glove.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

SoftJoy is the best glove available, but not the most durable.
    I buy 8 - 10 gloves to start the season, but I tend to replace them fairly often. Mastergrip Elite (think that's what they call them) are very similar to the Softjoys and they cost about $15 for 2 of them shipped. Not as durable but less than half the cost.
    I think the Weathersofts are pretty good too, but they are much thicker.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I play 6 days a week...and gloves are required for me...the best one I have found so far is the UnderArmor brand.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    I play 6 days a week...and gloves are required for me...the best one I have found so far is the UnderArmor brand.
    I play about 2 to 3 times per month but I'd still school you.

I play about 2 to 3 times per month but I'd still school you.
    Well, based on my results from yesterdays tournament, I'm thinking I could be schooled by a large wooden garden gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by indacup
    Well, based on my results from yesterdays tournament, I'm thinking I could be schooled by a large wooden garden gnome.
    Don't feel bad, I played on Saturday and I had two lost balls on a par 4 and carded an 8. I hit my drive into this area that had grass 2 feet high and took a drop. I then proceeded to hook a 3 wood into the same grass that ran all the way up to the hole. Snowman.

Don't feel bad, I played on Saturday and I had two lost balls on a par 4 and carded an 8. I hit my drive into this area that had grass 2 feet high and took a drop. I then proceeded to hook a 3 wood into the same grass that ran all the way up to the hole. Snowman.
    I'm assuming the high grass was a lateral hazard. I don't condone cheating in any form. If it wasn't properly marked as a hazard, I'm going to have to insist you drop everything and go back to retee right away. Otherwise, why not just give yourself a bogey? Cheater.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I'm assuming the high grass was a lateral hazard. I don't condone cheating in any form. If it wasn't properly marked as a hazard, I'm going to have to insist you drop everything and go back to retee right away. Otherwise, why not just give yourself a bogey? Cheater.
    Actually, it's an environmentally sensitive area that requires you to drop laterally so blow me.

Actually, it's an environmentally sensitive area that requires you to drop laterally so blow me.
    Luckily you're in the clear, though that sounds a bit shady to me. So what if club a few turtles on your way to saving par? This is golf, not some Earth Day parade.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich
    My brother in law, was married to a cun't that made him wear a glove. Over the course of 10 years.
    That must have been some glove. Did he wash it and dry it after each use? Had to have kept it out of the sun. Maybe used ArmorAll on it? Natural animal skin material? BAAAA, not MOOOO

Don't laugh but sometimes I wear two gloves and there is a reason for it. I have a nasty habit of gripping too firmly with my right hand sometimes and if I wear a glove on that hand too (I am a righthanded player) I tend to maintain lighter grip pressure. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    Don't laugh but sometimes I wear two gloves and there is a reason for it. I have a nasty habit of gripping too firmly with my right hand sometimes and if I wear a glove on that hand too (I am a righthanded player) I tend to maintain lighter grip pressure. Problem solved.
    If you wore two gloves in my group we'd give you a wedgy and tie you to a tree.

Don't wear gloves. Spend all the money on acquiring iron sets.
    Driver - Cleveland Launcher 09 12
    4 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 17
    Hybrid - Mizuno FLI-HI CLK 20 23
    Irons - Mizuno MP-32 5-PW
    Wedges - Mizuno MP GW/SW/Cobra LW
    Putter - Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

If you wore two gloves in my group we'd give you a wedgy and tie you to a tree.
    About what happens in my group but I point out baseball players wear two gloves so what's the big deal? I don't do it all the time either. Just when I am working on getting proper right hand grip pressure again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman
    Whenever I have worn gloves during the Winter, I have noticed that my grip pressure is better as well. That could be a possibility with me, too. I'll start with one though for now . . . .

How many of your wear a golf glove

Do you guys wear a Golf glove? If so, what brand do you find the best?

Yes, i wear a golve, I naturally wear a glove on my left hand. Normally i purchased the glove online, it is comfortable and no brand. I only change my glove when it gets hole in it or starts to feel a bit slippery.

I use those (golf pride) dual durometer grips and have not seen any benefit from wearing a glove, so I do not.

In the past, they have done nothing for my game but giuve me something more to distract myself with, if its hot, I sweat, they slip, if its cold they feel harder, I am always trying to eliminate anything between my hand's feel and the club head. Other than a billion dollar per year industry, I don't see the need for one, but I have gotten my ass kicked P L E N T Y of times by guys wearing them.

When I struggle, and some problem surfaces. I cant wait to take the glove off, till I feel whats wrong, and if that does not work, I take my shoes off. My slice came back for half a round on a course I love playing. My scores were great though even the with errant drives. My 3 wood was the savior on par 5s. One hole, number 10 at chesapeake, I nearly drove the green a 368 par 4 no wind, left with a 20 yard chip for birdie putt. No glove
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

No glove. I do have one, and will wear it occasionally but only then for the driver. Doesn't feel right.

When I struggle, and some problem surfaces. I cant wait to take the glove off, till I feel whats wrong, and if that does not work, I take my shoes off.
    It's supposed to be --

shoes off, pants off, THEN glove off.

or is that just me...................?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    That must have been some glove. Did he wash it and dry it after each use? Had to have kept it out of the sun. Maybe used ArmorAll on it? Natural animal skin material? BAAAA, not MOOOO
    She was a 10. And he drank alot.I think he started laughing alot near the end of there divorce, drunken about the glove. She could turn it on if you were a doctor, or rich. Shes saving herself for more money, he only had six figures, shes into 7 figure guys now, moving up. Shes always been real nice to me.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 05-08-2010 at 08:25 AM.

I don't. Smart pros like Shawn Clement will admit that with a correct grip, we don't need a glove unless our hands are sweaty. The club handle is not supposed to be moving inside our hands; the hands and handle are supposed to be moving together. So if you get callouses you are doing something wrong.

Be sure your grips are new and "tacky."

Golf gloves were invented when grips were leather-- and almost immediately became slick. But like much of golf, the custom carried over--and now even pros don't know why they do what they do. They don't know why they play forged blades and heavy metal shafts either--

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    You can't practice or play every day and not wear a glove. I've used just about every glove out there and can honestly say that there are certain Callaway gloves that last the longest. I go through one or two gloves a month(mostly because I play cords). My most recent is an Adidas that I purchased a week ago, The index finger has split already. Had the same problem with some of the Nike gloves. Anytime they use that spandex type material instead of leather they split.
    Not really. Freddy Couples and many top pros do NOT wear a golf glove. Theoretically with a correct grip, our hands move WITH the club handle. Our wrists allow it to swivel, set and release correctly. If the handle moves inside our hands--causing a callouse, we are doing something wrong. Take a lesson.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf
    I don't. Smart pros like Shawn Clement will admit that with a correct grip, we don't need a glove unless our hands are sweaty. The club handle is not supposed to be moving inside our hands; the hands and handle are supposed to be moving together. So if you get callouses you are doing something wrong.

Golf gloves were invented when grips were leather-- and almost immediately became slick. But like much of golf, the custom carried over--and now even pros don't know why they do what they do. They don't know why they play forged blades and heavy metal shafts either--

Larry
    If Shawn Clement jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, I guess you'd jump too eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975

You're catching on quick . . . . .

Not really. Freddy Couples and many top pros do NOT wear a golf glove. Theoretically with a correct grip, our hands move WITH the club handle. Our wrists allow it to swivel, set and release correctly. If the handle moves inside our hands--causing a callouse, we are doing something wrong. Take a lesson.

Larry
    Yeah, hear that SDB1? You're doing something wrong. Take a lesson!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hmmmmmmmm..............

Might have to give these a try.......

http://www.golflocker.com/golf-glove...ider-2-10.html
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz1975
    Hey, the guy can play scratch golf either right or left handed! Name someone else who can do that???

And his drills have helped me immensely. His very dynamic approach to the golf SWING instead of focus on static positions was just what I needed--after I finished a series of lessons. I knew how to grip and setup and backswing-- but I didn't know how to start down with lower body instead of shoulders and arms-- I had good fundamentals, but still had the "ball" disease that about 99% of amateurs have. We can make a nice practice swing with no ball down, a perfect "swish" and a grass divot, but then helplessly lag back and throw shoulders and arms over (OVER THE TOP) when a ball is down. NO PRO knew how to help me stop doing that. And most admitted that in their entire career they have been unable to help ANY late beginner to stop doing that.

But Shawn's "Perpetual Motion" drill did it! I did that drill a few minutes, really embedded that "heel-hit" "1-2" rhythm in my mind, and then stepped up and did it--with a ball down! Suddenly I hit the inside of the ball and accelerated through, having posted on my front leg before my arms came down. WOW! This was priceless to me. It just gets better each time I go out and hit balls-- on either range or course. It works every time I first rehearse to ingrain the rhythm, then hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJV7lz7QpSA

So yes, I think Shawn's teaching is quite useful--AFTER we learn good fundamentals with lessons.

Larry

Must you always be so full of ****?

See my first question.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Larry: other than Fred Couples, name a current "top pro" who doesn't wear a glove.

Fact: even if you have a perfect grip, there are large forces in a golf swing. This will cause the soft tissues of your hand to deform. You know this if you could actually generate any clubhead speed.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker
    Larry: other than Fred Couples, name a current "top pro" who doesn't wear a glove.

Fact: even if you have a perfect grip, there are large forces in a golf swing. This will cause the soft tissues of your hand to deform. You know this if you could actually generate any clubhead speed.
    Try using full cord grips for a full season while eschewing a glove.

Let us know how your hands look after that Larry.
    Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1
    Titleist ProV1x

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    Try using full cord grips for a full season while eschewing a glove.

Let us know how your hands look after that Larry.
    Absolutely!

Hey, the guy can play scratch golf either right or left handed! Name someone else who can do that???

And his drills have helped me immensely. His very dynamic approach to the golf SWING instead of focus on static positions was just what I needed--after I finished a series of lessons. I knew how to grip and setup and backswing-- but I didn't know how to start down with lower body instead of shoulders and arms-- I had good fundamentals, but still had the "ball" disease that about 99% of amateurs have. We can make a nice practice swing with no ball down, a perfect "swish" and a grass divot, but then helplessly lag back and throw shoulders and arms over (OVER THE TOP) when a ball is down. NO PRO knew how to help me stop doing that. And most admitted that in their entire career they have been unable to help ANY late beginner to stop doing that.

But Shawn's "Perpetual Motion" drill did it! I did that drill a few minutes, really embedded that "heel-hit" "1-2" rhythm in my mind, and then stepped up and did it--with a ball down! Suddenly I hit the inside of the ball and accelerated through, having posted on my front leg before my arms came down. WOW! This was priceless to me. It just gets better each time I go out and hit balls-- on either range or course. It works every time I first rehearse to ingrain the rhythm, then hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJV7lz7QpSA

So yes, I think Shawn's teaching is quite useful--AFTER we learn good fundamentals with lessons.

Larry
    That's great, Larry, if I ever need a dance partner, I might look you up . . . . . . . .

Larry
    Not that it matters, but Mac O'Grady could play just as well righty or lefty and even though he never quite made it on tour, he was a long way ahead of that hack you mentioned..
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

She was a 10. And he drank alot.I think he started laughing alot near the end of there divorce, drunken about the glove. She could turn it on if you were a doctor, or rich. Shes saving herself for more money, he only had six figures, shes into 7 figure guys now, moving up. Shes always been real nice to me.
    That type can be a real rewarding experience if you can act the 7 figure part--borrow a friend's Porsche or Jag (older than the Ford era--needs to be a roadster or 12 cyl. coupe) and luxury condo while he is on a two month vacation. Threads are no problemo since real wealty guys were funky jeans and tees (no pix, sayings, slogans or logos, please) and sometimes don't shave regularly ("Well, I surfed the Tech runup in the late '90's and did a HAHO from that rocketship.") Count on 10-20 good slices until she figures it out. She will likely not even be pissed afterwards because her ego will not permit her to admit publicly that she was bamboozled for cooter.

Obsessed nutcase. I post, he posts several personal insults. I post, he posts several personal insults. Very sad. Of course he is alone and unemployed. 30 years from now it will be the same...then they'll dump him in a pauper's grave.

Larry

Obsessed nutcase. I post, he posts several personal insults.
    Insults such as "obsessed nutcase"?

I post, he posts several personal insults. Very sad. Of course he is alone and unemployed. 30 years from now it will be the same...then they'll dump him in a pauper's grave.
    LOL

I'll be sure to look you up when I'm off on my world tour next year.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Thread Information